The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #63,137 of 87,844
On the topic of all BAs, a configuration I’ve loved since the SA6 OG, with a few others in between - to include the spectacular IER-M9… they have been an area of distraction for me lately, and proving to be highly enjoyable.

I was asked via PM to share thoughts on SA6 MK2 vs NP and SR8… plus actually Aurora but I’m omitting that due to the different config - I want to keep as like for like here.

Anyway, I put pen to paper (literally), and did a few rounds of testing vs each. It’s not an ultra detailed set of impressions, just another stream of thoughts while in the midst of enjoying each one. With a Tuesday evening🍺

First of all, they are all excellent in their own unique way, t’s a hard call and ultimately highly subjective as to any real champion…

Neon Pro
NP the most holographic, 3D, HD, and particularly excellent dealing with fast genres - immediately incredibly impressive once you hit play, and absolutely sound a lot more than the price tag suggests. Everything across the FR has a precise, fast and powerful presence with good body but not too flabby, and certainly not thin. While any genre works, I find most inclined to load faster electronica genres with NP - stunning.

SA6 MK2
SA6 MK2 has a very airy, organic, presentation that easily allows a focus on musical immersion or a bit of a technical deep dive, especially with that sense of clarity and space. I’ve yet to find a genre that doesn’t bring a smile to my face with this set - incredibly addictive. Mids step back a smidgen vs the other two but still lush and vibrant with excellent clarity… and from a bass perspective I’d say in 2nd place after NP both for sub and mid bass - BA bass done incredibly well, deep extension with maybe a placebo rumble due to no DD. Treble is smooth, with a silky inoffensive sparkle which absolutely creates a wonderful sense of space.

SR8
SR8 immediately steps back on the sense of space and air, feeling more intimate, smooth and sultry - mids are lush and vibrant which I’d say is a small intended injection from the lows. A similar story up top in that silky style of sparkle, yet minus the airiness of SA6 MK2. Sub again digs deep with a lovely rumble and mid bass kicks with a decent slam, albeit a tad softer IMO vs the others - this again gives an overall smooth, intimate but still detailed presentation, the latter just less obvious in my listening.

Again, all three are fantastic and each absolutely offers their own unique listening attributes - I sort of hoped I’d end up choosing one for the chop, but honestly can’t part with any (for now 😜). I reach for SR8 the most to just kick back and chill… SA6 MK2 as a more daily driver, and NP to remind myself what it was once like to be at least two decades younger 😬 - but to be fair, they are all competent for most genres - I’d still choose a higher end DD for genres like modern classical etc.

Each an incredible all BA experience, offering music lovers a different flavour, with stunning cohesiveness… definitely a trait I appreciate a lot coming from my 2022 single DD obsession.

IMG_7066.jpeg

Footnote: I intended a very brief overview, but got carried away enjoying!

The SR8 is also my go to for relax and chill!

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #63,138 of 87,844
You would be strip searched at airport for bringing that
Particular attention will be paid to tips, as well as possible restrictions on the export of titanium as a strategically important metal)

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #63,139 of 87,844
Bigger companies like Shure invest heavy one time and then reap the rewards for years to come. The KSE took them over 8 years to develop. I can see why others might shy away from this big of a commitment. Goldplanar already developed AMT drivers for many many years, so they had some advantage there as well.

I really enjoy the sound of these, so that´s why I crave more innovation in the space.
Don't forget that Shure's main revenue isn't their IEMs. They are industry leaders in microphones, wireless systems, DSP rigs, etc. They're like Sony in that they're deceptively massive in terms of resources for R&D. The reason they take so long between IEM releases is because it's probably not the forefront of their business.

I guess I'd agree with you there, I think IEM planar drivers need to see more use/investment too. I wonder why we don't see more from companies generally accepted to be outside of 'Chi-fi' / those will more significant R&D capability, e.g. EE, VE, UM, Oriolus, Noble + more, exploring this technology. My guess would be that it still doesn't make financial sense for them to invest in it (and second to that, questionable improvements in audio quality). Plenty of people still like and buy the current driver tech (DD, BA, Sonion 'ESTs').
The IEMs we see come out from brands like EE, VE, and others are the 1% that make it out of their skunkworks (or testing phases). I believe there was a photo of a prototype EE IEM with a planar driver that made the rounds 2-3 years ago. It's likely they've tested all the drivers on the market. They just haven't found the right IEM to put them in. We also mustn't forget that 90% of the drivers these brands use are proprietary. All of EE's drivers (from BA, to DD, to the transformers for their ESTs) are customized to their specs, for example, and the minimum order for those bespoke parts are in the hundreds; even thousands. That costs just as much as R&D for a planar IEM or an AMT IEM.

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #63,140 of 87,844
I am thinking of getting a Soranik Basilica

IMG_2964.png

IMG_2965.png

IMG_2962.jpeg

Still thinking through which face plates to get.

Has anyone tried these IEMs?

I had a brief audition in Singapore and it was surprisingly good and natural sounding.

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #63,141 of 87,844
I guess I'd agree with you there, I think IEM planar drivers need to see more use/investment too. I wonder why we don't see more from companies generally accepted to be outside of 'Chi-fi' / those will more significant R&D capability, e.g. EE, VE, UM, Oriolus, Noble + more, exploring this technology. My guess would be that it still doesn't make financial sense for them to invest in it (and second to that, questionable improvements in audio quality). Plenty of people still like and buy the current driver tech (DD, BA, Sonion 'ESTs').

Bigger companies like Shure invest heavy one time and then reap the rewards for years to come. The KSE took them over 8 years to develop. I can see why others might shy away from this big of a commitment. Goldplanar already developed AMT drivers for many many years, so they had some advantage there as well.

I really enjoy the sound of these, so that´s why I crave more innovation in the space.

The IEMs we see come out from brands like EE, VE, and others are the 1% that make it out of their skunkworks (or testing phases). I believe there was a photo of a prototype EE IEM with a planar driver that made the rounds 2-3 years ago. It's likely they've tested all the drivers on the market. They just haven't found the right IEM to put them in. We also mustn't forget that 90% of the drivers these brands use are proprietary. All of EE's drivers (from BA, to DD, to the transformers for their ESTs) are customized to their specs, for example, and the minimum order for those bespoke parts are in the hundreds; even thousands. That costs just as much as R&D for a planar IEM or an AMT IEM.

Another drivers that I would like to see more of, are micro-planars for high frequencies. I have the huawei freebuds pro 2 to walk without carrying much junk, which uses them, and saving the distances with my wired IEMs, I am very satisfied. I think well used, and being easier to drive, and cheaper (I think) than ESTs, they can be interesting.

Annotation 2023-08-16 135034.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #63,142 of 87,844
IMG_4210.jpeg
My portable tube setup.Not balanced though 🤣
Oh, this is really hot. I think the Origa gives a noticeable amount of room for customization and upgrade, given the ability to change tubes and op amps.
So in this photo I can already see what I would replace haha)

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #63,143 of 87,844
My third XE6 has arrived 🎉

06550178-B2C6-498D-9B37-A31BBBE7920E.jpeg

Pleased with the condition. Seems new without microscratches. Thanks once again @Albert705 🙏. The stock cable is different. It has with thicker weaving and ear hooks.

A8934CCA-2FBC-43D9-A282-0A58EF5925A5.jpeg

In other news: DHCs prototype cable demo came in from @wazzupi. This is modeled after the headphone cable Chimera.

C90BDBE0-054A-46F8-A5F1-FEBF29764237.jpeg

It's big rivaling PWA Orpheus with weight and ergonomics.

C6F7D082-9383-4DB4-9E93-71506423D06E.jpeg

Swapping from stock scorpian hooked up to R6P2 (unamped):
  • Notable uptick with dynamics and speed.
  • Fuller note size but not wooly which can sometimes happens rolling to a warmer dap. Kickdrums are bouncy. EDM feels like joy ride on the highway.
  • Quiet background reminding me of PWA Orpheus. It has a different presentation. More neutral tuned comparitively. Orphy has the ability to pull instruments apart with its separation (width). Chimeras positioning is more stately there while notes appear in a clean manner.
I'll share more detailed impressions after my time slot is up :)
Amazing cable!

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #63,146 of 87,844
Just out of curiosity, sparked party by crinacles ranking update:

Anyone here that compared Elysian Annihilator 2021 vs 2023?

I will probably never own one but I think it looks neat :)
I have loaned my Anni 2023 to @freeryder05 to compare and measure vs his 2021 - he also posted this write-up on it here.

I then got both iem's sent to me to compare, here are my thoughts:

2021:
- More airy and layered treble
- More forward sounding and ethereal; wider and taller stage
- Bass is elevated but lacks a bit of midbass meat

2023:
- More focused sound due to more forward depth plane and collapsed stage width
- More "macrodynamic" with more weight to the bass
- Timbre is a bit more analog although remains a very technical sounding set
- I find it gains a bit of musiscal engagement and toe-tap in exchange for losing the absolute class-leading treble might of 2021. I'd safely rank 2023 2nd best treble in the game. (KSE is also in the conversation here but it comes with its tuning quirks unless EQ'd - a juggernaut iem if so)

Here are Freeryder05's graphs comparing my 2023 and his 2021 (this set previously owned by @Sajid Amit & @Rockwell75)

graph (7).png

My third XE6 has arrived 🎉

Pleased with the condition. Seems new without microscratches. Thanks once again @Albert705 🙏. The stock cable is different. It has with thicker weaving and ear hooks.

C6F7D082-9383-4DB4-9E93-71506423D06E.jpeg
3 times a charm heh!

Also greetins to @Albert705 -- always nice to meet a local here :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #63,147 of 87,844
Ok this is the last survey update...I have closed it off from further submissions. 153 people contributed-- that's an impressive number and an impressive amount of data.

Here is the desert island 7 final talley:

Fir Radon 6 x45
Oriolus Traillii x43
Sony IER-Z1R x34

Unique Melody Mentor x28
Fir Xenon 6 x27

Subtonic Storm x23
Elysian Annihilator x22
Noble Viking x22
Noble Ronin x21
64 Audio u/a12t x21

Campfire Audio Trifecta x20

Nightjar Singularity x18
Empire Ears Odin x17
Visionm Ears Phönix/LE x16
Aroma Jewel x14
Campfire Audio Supermoon x13
Aur Neon Pro x12

Vision Ears EXT x10

AK/Empire Ears Odyssey x9
Empire Ears Legend X x9
Elysian Diva x9

Sennheiser ie900 x8
FatFreq Maestro SE x8
FatFreq Grand Maestro x8
Campfire Audio Andromeda x8
Campfire Audio Solaris x8
64 Audio Tia Fourte/Blanc x8
Unique Melody Indigo x7
Vision Ears X x7
64 Audio u4s x7
64 Audio Tia Trio x7
Fir Krypton 5 x6
Empire Ears Raven x6
Vision Ears Elysium x6
Unique Melody Mason FS/Fusang x6

Sennheiser ie600 x5
Penon10th Anniversary x5
Dita Audio Perpetua x5
Empire Ears Legend EVO x5
Softears Turii/Ti x5
Aur Audio Aurora x5
Vision Ears Elrkonig x5
Vision Ears VE8 x5
Symphonio Helios x4
Penon Impact x4
Aur Audio Aure x4
Noble Kublai Khan x4
Thieaudio Monarch Mkii/iii x4
Unique Melody Mest OG/ii/iii x4
Unique Melody Red Halo x4
Custom Art Fibae 5 x4
Fitears DC Ti x3
Elysian Dio x3
AK/Vision Ears Aura x3
Nostalgia Audio Camelot x3
63 Audio Duo x3
Sony IER-M9 x3
Penon Serial x3
Soundrhyme SR8 x3
Noble Sultan x3
Simphonio P Zero x3
Campfire Audio Vega x2
Elysian X x2
Dunu SA6/Mkii x2
Final Audio a8000 x2
Craft Ears Aurum x2
Elysian/EA Gaea x2
Sennheiser ie300 x2
Rhapsodio Supreme Mk 3 x2
7th Audio Supernova x2
64 Audio a/u18t x2
Jerry Harvey Sharona x2
Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon x2
Metal Magic Research Thummim x2
Custom Art Fibae7u x2
Campfire Audio Dorado x2
Yanyin Canon x2

334sr
24kgold
622b
9ine
aether
a18s
a4s
a5000
airpods
amber pearl
andromedagold
anolev14
Basilica x2
bc2023
blessing2
bridge
butastur
cadenza 12
duality
dusk
e5000
EAH-TZ7000
eden
er4xr
er2se
er4b
est50
fibae6
fibaeblack
fu7
fw1500
fw 10000
gl-amt16
globe
goldplanaramt
hakuya
hook x
Isabella
hum Dolores
ier-m7
k10
khopesh
kse1200
layla
lcdi4
loak-tc
lokiemerald
lyra
mach60
madoo512
madoo821
mentawai
meteor
na12
performer8
phantom
pax
promissionx
quartett
quintet
ra21
rosenkranzsilverka
roxanne
se846gen2
sho
superior
te-5b
tea 2
tg334
tgxearcarbon
twilight
twx9
u6t
uer
unity
v16 divinity
variations
ve7
vr1

It's pretty cool that we've got members of this community in each of the listed regions:

5E90F4AF-CC31-47F1-A60F-EAF9E799974C.JPEG

An impressive amount of experience pervades this group.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 6.55.31 AM.png

People's most common deal breakers are with bass and treble it seems:

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 6.55.58 AM.png

Left is warm, right is brigh. Our collective preferences are skewed warm:

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 6.56.13 AM.png

Fir and Oriolus seem to be winning the day...but there is a good variety of preferences here:

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 6.58.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 6.58.27 AM.png

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #63,148 of 87,844
@maegnificant since the KSE is not discussed enough over here, and I see you're also a big fan of it, here are measurements of my set with the on-board DSP EQ in two settings I flip between. I bypass the DAC stage and use it analog-in.

I've experimented with desktop parametric EQ with similar (if not better) results, but the fact that I can keep it limited to portable makes me just use the provided DSP with content.

I also truly believe in this IEM being a world class generalist after EQ, and it reminds me of the Mentor multiverse quite a bit (after EQ applied)

Here it is vs Anni23
graph (9).png

And vs Mentor Multiverse
graph (10).png

Here's my current demo sheet as of last update with Singularity

1692197219463.png

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #63,149 of 87,844
Ok this is the last survey update...I have closed it off from further submissions. 153 people contributed-- that's an impressive number and an impressive amount of data.

Here is the desert island 7 final talley:

Fir Radon 6 x45
Oriolus Traillii x43
Sony IER-Z1R x34

Unique Melody Mentor x28
Fir Xenon 6 x27

Subtonic Storm x23
Elysian Annihilator x22
Noble Viking x22
Noble Ronin x21
64 Audio u/a12t x21

Campfire Audio Trifecta x20

Nightjar Singularity x18
Empire Ears Odin x17
Visionm Ears Phönix/LE x16
Aroma Jewel x14
Campfire Audio Supermoon x13
Aur Neon Pro x12

Vision Ears EXT x10

AK/Empire Ears Odyssey x9
Empire Ears Legend X x9
Elysian Diva x9

Sennheiser ie900 x8
FatFreq Maestro SE x8
FatFreq Grand Maestro x8
Campfire Audio Andromeda x8
Campfire Audio Solaris x8
64 Audio Tia Fourte/Blanc x8
Unique Melody Indigo x7
Vision Ears X x7
64 Audio u4s x7
64 Audio Tia Trio x7
Fir Krypton 5 x6
Empire Ears Raven x6
Vision Ears Elysium x6
Unique Melody Mason FS/Fusang x6

Sennheiser ie600 x5
Penon10th Anniversary x5
Dita Audio Perpetua x5
Empire Ears Legend EVO x5
Softears Turii/Ti x5
Aur Audio Aurora x5
Vision Ears Elrkonig x5
Vision Ears VE8 x5
Symphonio Helios x4
Penon Impact x4
Aur Audio Aure x4
Noble Kublai Khan x4
Thieaudio Monarch Mkii/iii x4
Unique Melody Mest OG/ii/iii x4
Unique Melody Red Halo x4
Custom Art Fibae 5 x4
Fitears DC Ti x3
Elysian Dio x3
AK/Vision Ears Aura x3
Nostalgia Audio Camelot x3
63 Audio Duo x3
Sony IER-M9 x3
Penon Serial x3
Soundrhyme SR8 x3
Noble Sultan x3
Simphonio P Zero x3
Campfire Audio Vega x2
Elysian X x2
Dunu SA6/Mkii x2
Final Audio a8000 x2
Craft Ears Aurum x2
Elysian/EA Gaea x2
Sennheiser ie300 x2
Rhapsodio Supreme Mk 3 x2
7th Audio Supernova x2
64 Audio a/u18t x2
Jerry Harvey Sharona x2
Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon x2
Metal Magic Research Thummim x2
Custom Art Fibae7u x2
Campfire Audio Dorado x2
Yanyin Canon x2

334sr
24kgold
622b
9ine
aether
a18s
a4s
a5000
airpods
amber pearl
andromedagold
anolev14
Basilica x2
bc2023
blessing2
bridge
butastur
cadenza 12
duality
dusk
e5000
EAH-TZ7000
eden
er4xr
er2se
er4b
est50
fibae6
fibaeblack
fu7
fw1500
fw 10000
gl-amt16
globe
goldplanaramt
hakuya
hook x
Isabella
hum Dolores
ier-m7
k10
khopesh
kse1200
layla
lcdi4
loak-tc
lokiemerald
lyra
mach60
madoo512
madoo821
mentawai
meteor
na12
performer8
phantom
pax
promissionx
quartett
quintet
ra21
rosenkranzsilverka
roxanne
se846gen2
sho
superior
te-5b
tea 2
tg334
tgxearcarbon
twilight
twx9
u6t
uer
unity
v16 divinity
variations
ve7
vr1

It's pretty cool that we've got members of this community in each of the listed regions:

An impressive amount of experience pervades this group.

People's most common deal breakers are with bass and treble it seems:

Left is warm, right is brigh. Our collective preferences are skewed warm:

Fir and Oriolus seem to be winning the day...but there is a good variety of preferences here:

I remember the day I blindly bought the first Mentor CIEM around a decade ago, they were literally unknown then.
It's amazing to see how Unique Melody's Mentor series' popularity has grown up to today.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #63,150 of 87,844
Yea - there are numerous potential for planar drivers IEMs, P-Zero is one of the best example I’ve heard with excellent implementation and tuning, making it outshine the hybrid drivers IEMs with unparalleled soundstage, cohesiveness and punchiness.

Very keen to see more planar IEM releases from other mainstream brands as well in the coming time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back