The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #63,106 of 89,373
I guess it goes back to that before NP there where maybe only the Anole VX that had this tuning(probably more I don't know about). Neon Pro took same formula at a cheaper price, with their small tuning changes. Also 10 BA type config, at 1/3 the price.

That others copy it I doubt, if so they copy Anole VX.
There has always been many BA sets, but they have never been as popular as now.
Good thing is this push price to a more reasonable amount, the new 10 BA Butastur is 600usd. Neon Pro 700usd, and the Sound Rhyme SR8 has also been popular with 14BA and at 749usd.
Point taken! A lot of good-sounding iems at reasonable prices. :beerchug:

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #63,107 of 89,373
I made a word cloud out of the IEM responses to the "what is on your radar" question on the survey. Heart of the cooler at this moment :)

Radar.jpg

Aug 15, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #63,108 of 89,373
On the topic of all BAs, a configuration I’ve loved since the SA6 OG, with a few others in between - to include the spectacular IER-M9… they have been an area of distraction for me lately, and proving to be highly enjoyable.

I was asked via PM to share thoughts on SA6 MK2 vs NP and SR8… plus actually Aurora but I’m omitting that due to the different config - I want to keep as like for like here.

Anyway, I put pen to paper (literally), and did a few rounds of testing vs each. It’s not an ultra detailed set of impressions, just another stream of thoughts while in the midst of enjoying each one. With a Tuesday evening🍺

First of all, they are all excellent in their own unique way, t’s a hard call and ultimately highly subjective as to any real champion…

Neon Pro
NP the most holographic, 3D, HD, and particularly excellent dealing with fast genres - immediately incredibly impressive once you hit play, and absolutely sound a lot more than the price tag suggests. Everything across the FR has a precise, fast and powerful presence with good body but not too flabby, and certainly not thin. While any genre works, I find most inclined to load faster electronica genres with NP - stunning.

SA6 MK2
SA6 MK2 has a very airy, organic, presentation that easily allows a focus on musical immersion or a bit of a technical deep dive, especially with that sense of clarity and space. I’ve yet to find a genre that doesn’t bring a smile to my face with this set - incredibly addictive. Mids step back a smidgen vs the other two but still lush and vibrant with excellent clarity… and from a bass perspective I’d say in 2nd place after NP both for sub and mid bass - BA bass done incredibly well, deep extension with maybe a placebo rumble due to no DD. Treble is smooth, with a silky inoffensive sparkle which absolutely creates a wonderful sense of space.

SR8
SR8 immediately steps back on the sense of space and air, feeling more intimate, smooth and sultry - mids are lush and vibrant which I’d say is a small intended injection from the lows. A similar story up top in that silky style of sparkle, yet minus the airiness of SA6 MK2. Sub again digs deep with a lovely rumble and mid bass kicks with a decent slam, albeit a tad softer IMO vs the others - this again gives an overall smooth, intimate but still detailed presentation, the latter just less obvious in my listening.

Again, all three are fantastic and each absolutely offers their own unique listening attributes - I sort of hoped I’d end up choosing one for the chop, but honestly can’t part with any (for now 😜). I reach for SR8 the most to just kick back and chill… SA6 MK2 as a more daily driver, and NP to remind myself what it was once like to be at least two decades younger 😬 - but to be fair, they are all competent for most genres - I’d still choose a higher end DD for genres like modern classical etc.

Each an incredible all BA experience, offering music lovers a different flavour, with stunning cohesiveness… definitely a trait I appreciate a lot coming from my 2022 single DD obsession.

IMG_7066.jpeg

Footnote: I intended a very brief overview, but got carried away enjoying!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #63,109 of 89,373
While I'm not quite familiar with AuR iems, maybe someone can bring it over to Canjam NYC next year, tbh, I don't think a multi-BA iem in $500-$800 price range is groundbreaking for others to try to copy. If anything, chi-fi releases (and their corresponding prices) have been on the rise even before the pandemic. I haven't been keeping up with many, but others are praising the improvement in build quality and tuning. Perhaps, AuR came up with a tuning that hits yours and others sweet spot and has a great price/performance ratio. But, like I said, don't think they reinvented the wheel here, unless I misunderstood your post :wink:
Yes, nothing groundbreaking in these, just well tuned, off the shelf BAs basically available to all manufacturers for their assembly.

But the big change seems to be the community's wider acceptance and praise of all the BAs, some of us even wondering if they've smuggled DDs in for those beautiful lows they achieve. NP is a great example, but it wasn't the first to create an all BA that didn't disappoint DD fans. If they have done something unique, it's price to performance ratio as others have mentioned, and that may have spurred competition in the ChiFi realm. Also seems to be a big move to instituting multiple switches, especially bass, enhancing various parts of the frequency range

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #63,110 of 89,373
I have never liked fullBA IEMs. All the ones I've tried have been dull, I ended up missing a DD for bass. I had the U12t for 6 months, and I ended up selling it because I didn't use it, I found it boring and soulless, the music was missing something.

It was trying the Neon Pro and leaving me with my mouth open. A perfect, coherent, natural sound, but at the same time tremendously fun. What a serious punch (without DD!), what a level of detail, what dynamics, and the music does not lack soul.
Without a doubt, the best IEM I've tried for rock, progressive and metal.

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #63,111 of 89,373
Cross posting from the Cayin N7 thread ....

It’s been a couple of weeks now since I’ve gotten my hands on a Cayin N7 so I thought I’d leave some impressions. I won’t get into the unboxing etc as there are plenty of reviews that cover this, I’ll look to concentrate on sound. I will however say that the provided case is great quality, I can’t say I’m the biggest fan of the yellow but there’s method to Cayin’s madness… enter Cayin’s optional “Royal Blue” case which is also available… at a price :wink: Either way, it’s a nice case which does it’s job perfectly well and frankly I’m quite surprised its provided as standard. I will also say that the build quality is superb, it feels sturdy and reassuring in the hand and has a heft to it which screams quality. The buttons and volume knob feel tactile and of high quality, much better than some of the competition from the likes of ibasso etc. A criticism here being an Astell & Kern design lover, I wish that the volume knob had more of a tactile ‘click’ to it with more resistance, a minor nit-pick in the grand scheme of things with the control still feeling of high quality and premium in looks.

IEM’s used: Empire Ears Odin, Vision Ears EXT
Sources used to compare: Shanling M9, Chord Mojo 2

Treble
Keywords: Natural, Extended, Smooth, Detailed

Arguably the least memorable aspect of the N7, at least to me. The treble is smooth, slightly laid back and unaggressive yet extends well and is no less detailed than the rest of the frequency response. When going back and forth with the Shanling M9 its clear to see that Cayin were going for a natural, uncoloured approach here. It’s quite unique in that I don’t hear a roll off in the upper treble, it’s just linear and laid back which lends to an easy listen. This may be considered a selling point to those who consider themselves treble aficionados as I haven’t heard a treble with this mix of characteristics before, smooth and detailed tends be at the expense of extension in my experience. This treble makes the N7 an especially great pairing for those IEM’s that may be perceived as being a little spicier up top like Odin. The downside of this sort of presentation is that its unobtrusive nature doesn’t make it stand out against the backdrop of the rest of the players highlights despite nothing being wrong with it in isolation. The Shanling M9 comes across more pronounced here and in your face / excitable at the expense of naturalness.

Mids
Keywords: Spacious, Airy, Natural, Convincing

The Mids of the N7 are exceptional for my preferences, they sit a little back in the mix and are expansive and natural. I’d say they sit slightly behind the mid bass and are given plenty of room to breathe, there is a clear separation between the mid bass emphasis and the expansive Mids. This portrayal is aiming for realism over being a clear-cut reference type of presentation which can sometimes come across as unforgiving, clinical, and unnatural. The spaciousness is quite apparent when A/Bing with the already accomplished in this regard, M9. Staging is the best I’ve heard with layering in this range being superb and works very well with the imaging aspects of the player which I’ll delve into later. Notes weight is on the weightier side which adds body and textured to Odin’s nimble signature. It also plays well with EXT’s already excellently textured midrange, something I feared wouldn’t be the case (too much of a good thing and all that). Not one region of the Mids is accentuated to my ears, they come across as linear and alongside the fantastic imaging and layering, lends to an immersive and convincing listen.

Bass
Keywords: Organic, Mid-bass centric, Substantive, Textured

A great sense of PRaT originates from the bass of the N7 with a clear emphasis on mid bass punch over sub bass rumble. I don’t feel that the sub bass is lacking however, mid bass just takes a more prominent role in the signature which is more apparent when coming from a sub bass emphasised source like the Shanling M9. When the Cayin C9 is added into the mix the balance between sub to mid bass is more even keeled with boosted dynamics and extension in all areas of the staging. Without the C9 the player presents the sound in a more amphitheatre-esque type presentation with grand left to right stage dimensions with plenty of space between instruments. Bass has similar attributes to the midrange, being thick, meaty, and textured, and imbuing the player with that great sense of PRaT. When going back to the M9 after becoming accustomed to this signature the PRaT and musicality imparted by the N7’s bass is sorely missed, making the music sound lifeless and reference in comparison.

Staging / Layering / Imaging / Dynamics / Tone

Keywords: Spacious, immersive, grounded, convincing, sure-footed, airy, nuanced, neutral

I think the characteristics herein is what differentiates the N7 from a lot of sources and should be considered the main selling points over other players. The N7 comes across as relatively neutral in tone to me when compared to the warmer M9 but not quite as neutral or ‘matter of fact’ as the Mojo 2 (with no EQ applied). I’ve read from a few sources that the N7 is a warm DAP however this is not how I hear it despite the clear Mid bass emphasis. The 1-bit DAC comes across as extremely smooth and effortless, with the leading edge of notes having a rounded, tangible quality to them which lends to all day listening without fatigue. This is quite evident when going back to the M9 which comes across as comparatively two-dimensional, etched and somewhat superficial. I believe these attributes may contribute to this perception of warmth.

Despite not being as hard edged as the AKM / ESS counterpart, the 1-bit DAC is great at extracting detail (although the M9 takes the crown here, with the Mojo 2 trailing the N7 in both resolution and detail retrieval) and renders images marvellously, the best I’ve heard in fact. Imaging is pinpoint on the wide stage and the density of the imaging is so convincing and tangible which further adds to the natural, encompassing nature of the player. I can confidently say that I haven’t heard imaging like this from any other source. Layering is also another highlight with the staging depth of instruments being clear cut and easily discernible. The culmination of these qualities adds up to an immersive, holographic experience which is intoxicating and extremely fun to listen to. As cliché as it sounds, I was genuinely going through old music which I hadn’t listened to in years to see how the N7 depicted it… and I wasn’t disappointed, the N7 breathed new life into tracks and made me engrossed all over again.

I’d be remiss not to mention how the N7 renders vocals. It has this uncanny ability of putting the singer right Infront of you, floating in their own space away from all other aspects of the music. I’m not sure how it manages this, but I think it’s in part due to the surefootedness of its imaging, the space and breadth allowed to the midrange alongside the players excellent layering capabilities.

Dynamics are great although I would opt for the M9 if you are looking for a player that accentuates those dynamic swings. This is a clear win for the Shanling given its emphasis on Sub bass and upper treble, it’s a player that’s great for electronic music but can sometimes evoke a sense of uncanny valley when listening to instruments and vocal centric music, areas in which the N7 excels. When the C9 is added into the mix you get the best of both worlds with dynamics getting a significant bump alongside stage dimensions.

Amp – Class A vs AB
For those of you who are familiar with how these AMP modes impact the sound of the C9 will be right at home with how the N7’s signature changes when going between them. Much like the C9, in Class A mode the N7 sounds slightly more detailed, warmer and fuller while in AB it sounds cooler and slightly less details, but airier and more dynamic. The differences between these modes on are much more pronounced and easier to discern on the N7 compared with the C9 however and adds some great versatility.

Paired with the C9
Pairing the N7 with the C9 is simply exceptional, there’s not a doubt in my mind that the N7 was designed with use alongside the C9 in mind. In pre-amp mode it takes the amphitheatre-esque staging of the N7 and expands outwards, all the colourings and characteristics of the player (mid bass emphasis, spacious midrange, laid back treble) remain intact but are taken up a notch. Odin does have significant waterfall hiss in this mode once music starts to play however, this isn’t the case with line out.

Line out goes for a different approach with a more spherical presentation, adding further verticality and dynamics into the mix. Sub to mid bass is more even keeled and the laid-back nature of the treble gets an injection of energy. The staging is huge, the largest I’ve heard and its clear to see that the internal amps of M9 and Mojo 2 are the bottleneck here, preventing the C9 from showing its full potential. This combination is the most immersive and impressive I’ve heard in terms of pure musicality and immersion, besting the Hugo 2 / C9 in wow factor, engagement, and musicality.

Overall
If you’ve made it this far you may have picked out a re-occurring theme throughout this breakdown, the N7 is the most natural and convincing source I’ve had the pleasure of listening to. While Detail retrieval isn’t of the highest level (it’s no slouch either), the players spatial aspects alongside its tuning make it an absolute joy to listen to and extremely engaging. This isn’t a player for those wanting to dissect their music by utilising hard, etched notes and shoving detail down your throat, this is a listeners DAP, made with pure musical enjoyment and immersion in mind. It’s mastery over spatial and staging aspects are its calling card, allowing you to experience old classics in a new way and inviting you to get lost in the music. It’s really made me re-evaluate what is important when purchasing high end audio gear and if that isn’t the sign of a great audio purchase then I don’t know what is.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #63,112 of 89,373
Beautiful day today! 🌞. Sharing another journal entry with
I took the bigger amp for a spin with the VN Majik case today. It fits just right with the R6P2. N7 might be pushing it. I exchanged some funny looks from curious bystanders.

received_849869903426744.jpeg

Todays focus was the $100 Fiio FF3 earbud. Unamped, I would characterise it as a warm V shaped. It has lots of sub bass, good dynamics with shy treble extension. The way the bass pressure hits feels more iem like. This made it a fun EDC I took out with the ZX707. A con is the mids sounding cloudy from the bass bleed. For focused listening, if I want big bass, I would take out TGX Sunniva.

Mass Kobo 475 + R6P2 + FF3
received_829251035183568.jpeg

This combo is challenging that 😯. It is having a similar effect to XE6. 475 seems to like DDs, / lots of bass to work with.
  • FF3 now sounds more technical, cleaner and more incisive.
  • + Big bump to the macro dynamics. I am continually shifting the volume knob for Jazz quartets. I can't believe this is coming from a $100 transducer. Isolating this portion, I would listen to this over some kilo-buck iems off a weak source.
  • That bass quantity I talked about? Now controlled and hardened. Guitars have more bite and texture. Kickdrums sound explosive.
  • That cloudy bass bleed is trimmed down. There is still a mild haze but mids sound a lot clearer.
  • There's a boost to the upper mid. Strings, female vocals have better extension. Brass instruments sound sharper, crunchier and zesty (is that an adjective for sound? 😆). Still learning how to describe sound.
  • The treble extension is now at satisfying levels for electronic (Sunniva level).
Suffice to say, I have had a paradigm shift recently after going down the amp rabbit hole. Previously respective to the other earbuds that I own, I ranked FF3 at #10. With this pairing, I can see it breaking my top 3.
Great to see a Van Nuys fan here)
I recently put together a case like this for my combo.
IMG_20230811_222852_022.jpg

I can only use it for portability though. After all, CDM is a tube device and it needs ventilation. So I think it might be too hot in the summer. But in winter, you can try it in action. And yes, this is not a Majik series, this is a case for one of the Sony amps.
But I think he has a chance to work well with your combo as well.

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #63,113 of 89,373
I have never liked fullBA IEMs. All the ones I've tried have been dull, I ended up missing a DD for bass. I had the U12t for 6 months, and I ended up selling it because I didn't use it, I found it boring and soulless, the music was missing something.

It was trying the Neon Pro and leaving me with my mouth open. A perfect, coherent, natural sound, but at the same time tremendously fun. What a serious punch (without DD!), what a level of detail, what dynamics, and the music does not lack soul.
Without a doubt, the best IEM I've tried for rock, progressive and metal.
It depends on your preferences in music, as well as the implementation of the IEM. Once upon a time, it was the Andromeda 2017 BA model that developed my interest in complex and heavy music, thanks to the good control of BA at low frequencies in particular. At the same time, it still has an emphasis on low frequencies.
For heavy music, BA models are still my favorites. In general, if you look at my signature, then almost all of them are reinforcing (or a hybrid based on BA). In particular, I still love HUM Dolores and UM Mason 3. They are able to transmit the most technically difficult recordings with the necessary precision and accuracy. However, I should note that these are monitor models, so I'm quite sure that some people will find their sound too boring. But not me.

On the other hand, I can say that for me personally, the Traillii are as close to the ideal as possible in the playing of heavy music, which have BA for bass, and moreover, this bass is noticeably accentuated. However, it does not suffer from a lack of mass and has excellent control.

Aug 15, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #63,114 of 89,373
some of us even wondering if they've smuggled DDs in for those beautiful lows they achieve
The power of Sonion vented woofers (which are likely in U12t and U6t as well).

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #63,116 of 89,373
Aug 15, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #63,117 of 89,373
IMG_3352.jpg

Oldie (2018) but still a great value set! Natural and organic! Going for less than US$50 these days!

Attachments

• IMG_3350.jpg
    IMG_3350.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #63,119 of 89,373
Aug 15, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #63,120 of 89,373
IMG_4210.jpeg
My portable tube setup.Not balanced though 🤣
Is that a Tourbillon PLM? Jealous....

Fellow Lange gang here, albeit a much more modest model comparatively speaking.

IMG_1026.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back