The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 16, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #63,121 of 89,375
Is that a Tourbillon PLM? Jealous....

Fellow Lange gang here, albeit a much more modest model comparatively speaking.

IMG_1026.jpeg
It's just a Lange book and would love to get that watch. That Lange 1815 up down is one that I very much like to acquire in yellow or rose gold. A stunning classic. Well done on getting that!

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #63,122 of 89,375
My third XE6 has arrived 🎉

06550178-B2C6-498D-9B37-A31BBBE7920E.jpeg

Pleased with the condition. Seems new without microscratches. Thanks once again @Albert705 🙏. The stock cable is different. It has with thicker weaving and ear hooks.

A8934CCA-2FBC-43D9-A282-0A58EF5925A5.jpeg

In other news: DHCs prototype cable demo came in from @wazzupi. This is modeled after the headphone cable Chimera.

C90BDBE0-054A-46F8-A5F1-FEBF29764237.jpeg

It's big rivaling PWA Orpheus with weight and ergonomics.

C6F7D082-9383-4DB4-9E93-71506423D06E.jpeg

Swapping from stock scorpian hooked up to R6P2 (unamped):
  • Notable uptick with dynamics and speed.
  • Fuller note size but not wooly which can sometimes happens rolling to a warmer dap. Kickdrums are bouncy. EDM feels like joy ride on the highway.
  • Quiet background reminding me of PWA Orpheus. It has a different presentation. More neutral tuned comparitively. Orphy has the ability to pull instruments apart with its separation (width). Chimeras positioning is more stately there while notes appear in a clean manner.
I'll share more detailed impressions after my time slot is up :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #63,123 of 89,375
Dear Head-Fier Community,

This is my post number 1000. I hope this message finds you all in great spirits. I wanted to take a moment to extend my heartfelt gratitude to all the wonderful members of this forum who share a common passion for music and headphones.

This forum has truly been a haven for individuals like me who find solace, inspiration, and connection through the world of music and the pursuit of quality audio experiences. Through countless discussions, recommendations, and shared experiences, we have collectively created a space where our enthusiasm thrives.

It's remarkable how this community has facilitated the exchange of knowledge, ideas, and perspectives related to headphones, audio equipment, and the diverse genres of music that enrich our lives. Each thread, comment, and interaction reflects the dedication and enthusiasm that each of you brings to Head-Fi.

Your insights have broadened my horizons, and your camaraderie has turned this digital space into a virtual family.

Let's continue to inspire one another, share our love for music and headphones, and uplift each other in our ongoing journey to explore, enjoy, and celebrate the beautiful world of sound.

Thank you all for being an integral part of this forum and for making it an invaluable resource for music and headphone enthusiasts everywhere.

Special thanks go to @Whitigir, @nc8000, @lushmelody, @Vamp898, @MrWalkman, @gLer, @Newsee.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #63,124 of 89,375
Once I get the Raven and Aura (I hope on 1st of sept) I might also be in the market for a new DAP. Wonder what will suit the Raven well.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #63,125 of 89,375
Once I get the Raven and Aura (I hope on 1st of sept) I might also be in the market for a new DAP. Wonder what will suit the Raven well.
The LPGT Ti should be a good pairing to Aura, giving it more transparency and treble extension.

Your M7 should be a good pairing with Raven, allowing it to sound smoother. I would personally prefer warm-neutral DAPs for Raven.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #63,126 of 89,375
Dear Head-Fier Community,

This is my post number 1000. I hope this message finds you all in great spirits. I wanted to take a moment to extend my heartfelt gratitude to all the wonderful members of this forum who share a common passion for music and headphones.

This forum has truly been a haven for individuals like me who find solace, inspiration, and connection through the world of music and the pursuit of quality audio experiences. Through countless discussions, recommendations, and shared experiences, we have collectively created a space where our enthusiasm thrives.

It's remarkable how this community has facilitated the exchange of knowledge, ideas, and perspectives related to headphones, audio equipment, and the diverse genres of music that enrich our lives. Each thread, comment, and interaction reflects the dedication and enthusiasm that each of you brings to Head-Fi.

Your insights have broadened my horizons, and your camaraderie has turned this digital space into a virtual family.

Let's continue to inspire one another, share our love for music and headphones, and uplift each other in our ongoing journey to explore, enjoy, and celebrate the beautiful world of sound.

Thank you all for being an integral part of this forum and for making it an invaluable resource for music and headphone enthusiasts everywhere.

Special thanks go to @Whitigir, @nc8000, @lushmelody, @Vamp898, @MrWalkman, @gLer, @Newsee.
Congrats on post 1k 😁 I'll join you, and I couldn't have said it better!

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #63,127 of 89,375
Aug 16, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #63,128 of 89,375
While I'm not quite familiar with AuR iems, maybe someone can bring it over to Canjam NYC next year, tbh, I don't think a multi-BA iem in $500-$800 price range is groundbreaking for others to try to copy. If anything, chi-fi releases (and their corresponding prices) have been on the rise even before the pandemic. I haven't been keeping up with many, but others are praising the improvement in build quality and tuning. Perhaps, AuR came up with a tuning that hits yours and others sweet spot and has a great price/performance ratio. But, like I said, don't think they reinvented the wheel here, unless I misunderstood your post :wink:
I guess it goes back to that before NP there where maybe only the Anole VX that had this tuning(probably more I don't know about). Neon Pro took same formula at a cheaper price, with their small tuning changes. Also 10 BA type config, at 1/3 the price.

That others copy it I doubt, if so they copy Anole VX.
There has always been many BA sets, but they have never been as popular as now.
Good thing is this push price to a more reasonable amount, the new 10 BA Butastur is 600usd. Neon Pro 700usd, and the Sound Rhyme SR8 has also been popular with 14BA and at 749usd.

There's no reinventing the wheel here, rather a refinement and a push for greater value. Any company can throw more BA drivers in a shell and charge less than a competitor but it's all about the execution of that. What is breaking ground is to see this done as well as it's being done at the asking price. As @Leonarfd points out Anole VX has long been a premium 'Chifi' staple at $2.5k (10BA). I know of one person who recently purchased the Butastur ($599, 10BA), similarly tuned, that is now considering selling his VX due to its redundancy and from my understanding this is largely from a technical perspective, not just a tonal preference.

There's very little reinvention possible until more driver tech emerges.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #63,129 of 89,375
The LPGT Ti should be a good pairing to Aura, giving it more transparency and treble extension.

Your M7 should be a good pairing with Raven, allowing it to sound smoother. I would personally prefer warm-neutral DAPs for Raven.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
I really like the M7 but there is always the little voice saying: there is a better totl dap out there 😅

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #63,130 of 89,375
In the meantime Im listening to this repackaged golden oldie, it slaps! 😁😎

Aug 16, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #63,131 of 89,375
Would it be a cool idea if we have a forum thread (or even here) where we share playlists that fit a certain IEM?

Instead of music category.

For me, song / IEM synergy is most important, can give you those “magical” moments. So why not share our collection of songs that work really well with an IEM

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #63,132 of 89,375
There's very little reinvention possible until more driver tech emerges.
I think there is a lot of new driver tech available, that is just left unused. Full Range AMTs and E-Stats are left on the table, xMems are coming. But it's costly for these chifi brands to not copy someone elses work, but to innovate and research on their own.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #63,133 of 89,375
Raven is super easy to drive and so you don’t need the gigantic high power billion dollar DAPs. Hiby R6P2 comes with flagship DACs and a class A/AB amp and has perfect synergy with the Odyssey. Since the Raven is almost the same it should fit as well ! All that for an unbeatable price too.

After buying different DAPs, I am super happy with this one, as you can see from my comments :wink:

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #63,134 of 89,375
I think there is a lot of new driver tech available, that is just left unused. Full Range AMTs and E-Stats are left on the table, xMems are coming. But it's costly for these chifi brands to not copy someone elses work, but to innovate and research on their own.

I guess I'd agree with you there, I think IEM planar drivers need to see more use/investment too. I wonder why we don't see more from companies generally accepted to be outside of 'Chi-fi' / those will more significant R&D capability, e.g. EE, VE, UM, Oriolus, Noble + more, exploring this technology. My guess would be that it still doesn't make financial sense for them to invest in it (and second to that, questionable improvements in audio quality). Plenty of people still like and buy the current driver tech (DD, BA, Sonion 'ESTs').

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #63,135 of 89,375
I guess I'd agree with you there, I think IEM planar drivers need to see more use/investment too. I wonder why we don't see more from companies generally accepted to be outside of 'Chi-fi' / have more significant R&D capability, e.g. EE, VE, UM, Oriolus, Noble + more, exploring this technology. My guess would be that it still doesn't make financial sense to them to invest in it (and second to that, the measurable improvement in audio quality it can provide). Plenty of people still like and buy the current driver tech.
Bigger companies like Shure invest heavy one time and then reap the rewards for years to come. The KSE took them over 8 years to develop. I can see why others might shy away from this big of a commitment. Goldplanar already developed AMT drivers for many many years, so they had some advantage there as well.

I really enjoy the sound of these, so that´s why I crave more innovation in the space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back