The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #63,152 of 89,403
@maegnificant since the KSE is not discussed enough over here, and I see you're also a big fan of it, here are measurements of my set with the on-board DSP EQ in two settings I flip between. I bypass the DAC stage and use it analog-in.

I've experimented with desktop parametric EQ with similar (if not better) results, but the fact that I can keep it limited to portable makes me just use the provided DSP with content.

I also truly believe in this IEM being a world class generalist after EQ, and it reminds me of the Mentor multiverse quite a bit (after EQ applied)

Here it is vs Anni23
graph (9).png

And vs Mentor Multiverse
graph (10).png

Here's my current demo sheet as of last update with Singularity

1692197219463.png
Oh, that is very interesting! Could you share your EQ settings and which one you prefer?
I am not that experienced in EQing, what do you think of my settings?

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #63,153 of 89,403
Aug 16, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #63,154 of 89,403
Raven is super easy to drive and so you don’t need the gigantic high power billion dollar DAPs. Hiby R6P2 comes with flagship DACs and a class A/AB amp and has perfect synergy with the Odyssey. Since the Raven is almost the same it should fit as well ! All that for an unbeatable price too.

After buying different DAPs, I am super happy with this one, as you can see from my comments :wink:
Okay but it's not only about power. I appreciate you found good synergy between Odyssey and R6P2 but I felt compelled to mention that the differences between that DAP and the RS8, for example, go well beyond mere power specs.

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #63,155 of 89,403
I have loaned my Anni 2023 to @freeryder05 to compare and measure vs his 2021 - he also posted this write-up on it here.

I then got both iem's sent to me to compare, here are my thoughts:

2021:
- More airy and layered treble
- More forward sounding and ethereal; wider and taller stage
- Bass is elevated but lacks a bit of midbass meat

2023:
- More focused sound due to more forward depth plane and collapsed stage width
- More "macrodynamic" with more weight to the bass
- Timbre is a bit more analog although remains a very technical sounding set
- I find it gains a bit of musiscal engagement and toe-tap in exchange for losing the absolute class-leading treble might of 2021. I'd safely rank 2023 2nd best treble in the game. (KSE is also in the conversation here but it comes with its tuning quirks unless EQ'd - a juggernaut iem if so)

Here are Freeryder05's graphs comparing my 2023 and his 2021 (this set previously owned by @Sajid Amit & @Rockwell75)

graph (7).png

3 times a charm heh!

Also greetins to @Albert705 -- always nice to meet a local here :)
Great comparison, thank you!!

Did you experience driver filex with one of the Annis? Precog mentioned heavy driver flex with the Anni21, I think even while listening not only insertion. I‘ve never had this happening with my 23 (but had the full dd flex with all 3 of my previous EE IEMs…).

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #63,156 of 89,403
You’d have to start from replacing the Origa itself since they don’t make it anymore 😜
That is why it cannot be replaced)
But everything else - it can already be replaced. For example, I would definitely replace the opamp there)

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #63,157 of 89,403
Another drivers that I would like to see more of, are micro-planars for high frequencies. I have the huawei freebuds pro 2 to walk without carrying much junk, which uses them, and saving the distances with my wired IEMs, I am very satisfied. I think well used, and being easier to drive, and cheaper (I think) than ESTs, they can be interesting.

Annotation 2023-08-16 135034.jpg
Custom Art F5 users 2 planars for it's high treble to great effect!

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #63,158 of 89,403
That is why it cannot be replaced)
But everything else - it can already be replaced. For example, I would definitely replace the opamp there)
I agree with you the options are good to have…I wish I had the amount of tubes you have for your CDM… I always wondered how much it would change with different ones. I only have stock.

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #63,159 of 89,403
Great comparison, thank you!!

Did you experience driver filex with one of the Annis? Precog mentioned heavy driver flex with the Anni21, I think even while listening not only insertion. I‘ve never had this happening with my 23 (but had the full dd flex with all 3 of my previous EE IEMs…).
I never experienced driver flex with either set, but I usually insert iem's very progressively to avoid any trapped air.

I've never experienced or heard about Elysian driver failures so I wouldn't worry too much about it - they are vented after all

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #63,160 of 89,403
I never experienced driver flex with either set, but I usually insert iem's very progressively to avoid any trapped air.

I've never experienced or heard about Elysian driver failures so I wouldn't worry too much about it - they are vented after all
To echo this, I also have never had this issue.

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #63,161 of 89,403
I had a golden opportunity to borrow Brise Audio Tsuranagi (my second audition of it) and MASS-Kobo 475 (first time with this one) over the weekend from @MusicTeck. Literally spent only 2 days listening and comparing these and decided to put together a mini review with design and sound comparison notes. Enjoy the read covering this mini-Godzilla battle :D

tsu_vs_475-06.jpg

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #63,162 of 89,403

To echo this, I also have never had this issue.

Thanks both of you and I’m not worried, at all. Just wondered why Precog had such problems while I never experienced it and I thought it would be a problem of the 21 version.

Aug 16, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #63,163 of 89,403
I agree with you the options are good to have…I wish I had the amount of tubes you have for your CDM… I always wondered how much it would change with different ones. I only have stock.
What could be simpler? PM me, maybe I can find something for you. Perhaps the search will take some time, but I will remember what I have to do and will start searching sometime on the weekend.
Of course, CDM needs to upgrade the tubes. Stock is a bit more or less generic, but it's a safe and comfortable setup that leaves plenty of room for an upgrade.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #63,164 of 89,403
Time to go real « endgame ». Thanks Romi Audio for everything 🔊🥷💥.

Transportable, not portable anymore. First impressions cannot be expressed without superlatives, so more time is required to land back on earth, after the honey🌙 party ended, if it happens once. In-depth comparison with my DAPs and some of my current IEMs of choice coming up later this weekend.

IMG_5453.jpeg

183AD0BB-FB76-404C-8BBD-82B7A35AA2AB.jpeg

The Romi BX2Pro excels as a standalone portable amp with 3 levels of gains, a full in-and outputs structure as well as the most satisfactory volume knob I have experienced so far from an esthetic and precision perspective. No channel imbalance at very low volume, zero noise floor even with sensitive IEMs and no incremental volume increase. As smooth as it gets.

Want/need some more? Add a bespoke beefy PSU unit from Romi audio. It is built into a generic yet very solid case. Technical details and info about components available upon request. Pictures taken by Romi during finishing the PSU and testing.
IMG_20230729_002656.jpeg

IMG_20230729_001632.jpeg

376E5944-3945-4EB0-8CFD-E17BEE30DF07.jpeg

IMG_5456.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #63,165 of 89,403
I had a golden opportunity to borrow Brise Audio Tsuranagi (my second audition of it) and MASS-Kobo 475 (first time with this one) over the weekend from @MusicTeck. Literally spent only 2 days listening and comparing these and decided to put together a mini review with design and sound comparison notes. Enjoy the read covering this mini-Godzilla battle :D

tsu_vs_475-06.jpg
Thanks for the review! Do you think both 475 and Tsu’s sound quality are the next level vs Cayin C9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back