The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 17, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #63,181 of 90,405
for sp3k you don’t need a Y split IC cable. it is grounded.

tsu is transparent, didn’t hear c9 but what i heard about it is that it’s more colored especially on the mids. perhaps that’s affecting your perception.

Thanks yeah, that's what I'd heard too but better safe than sorry.

It's definitely more detailed and transparent than c9 which is a bit "analogue" and what I call "woolly" in the mids, especially with my also woolly PW Orpheus. Very fast and taut. But the c9 has a very widescreen, super impressively laid out soundstage. Wiiiiide horizon. The tsu doesn't have that, being more ball-like and intimate. Maybe the ball opens up a bit with burn in (I believe in burn in)? Currently I'm reminded of the the Vorzuge Pure amp, which was also a light black box that created super clean and transparent sound, but the soundstage wasn't as dramatic as the Cayin c5, which was the horizon king of the day back in 2015.

The Tsu is definitely an amazing piece of tech and more detailed than the c9 but it's more a purist's amp than a dramaticist's.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #63,182 of 90,405
Any Tsuranagi loco-wackos here? Is it OK to connect the Brise Tsuranagi amp to an sp3000 with a regular 2.5 to 4.4 balanced cable without any extra grounding, like they say you need with the Sony stuff?

Kinda underwhelmed with my first impressions of the Tsu, honestly... the soundstage is narrow compared to the c9.

2.5mm side of SP3000 doesn't have a ground, so you will not have a common ground between your source (SP3000) and your amp (Tsu). There is a very detailed explanation with a diagram and list of different DAPs and which IC cable to use: https://briseaudio.com/pages/tsuranagi-q-a . For SP3000 it is recommended to use 4.4mm output and grounded interconnect 4.4 to 4.4mm cable, otherwise manufacturer warns you about a possible malfunction.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #63,183 of 90,405
Didn't try c9, but Tsu definitely improve the sound with my Sony DAP.

Oh, it'll definitely improve a Sony (but you'll never know how much more / differently a c9 would :p)

2.5mm side of SP3000 doesn't have a ground, so you will not have a common ground between your source (SP3000) and your amp (Tsu). There is a very detailed explanation with a diagram and list of different DAPs and which IC cable to use: https://briseaudio.com/pages/tsuranagi-q-a . For SP3000 it is recommended to use 4.4mm output and grounded interconnect 4.4 to 4.4mm cable, otherwise manufacturer warns you about a possible malfunction.

Damn, I've been using my 2.5 to 4.4 1960s 4-wire interconnect. Best IC if you're using Orphy as an IEM cable in the chain, as it adds more treble. Incredibly good 1000 USD interconnect :D. Tested with my Attila based 4.4 to 4.4 IC and the sound's not as good, as you'd imagine for a 350 USD IC. So it doesn't look like having it ungrounded out of 2.5 degrades the sound, but device malfunction is a threat then.

Do I have to buy a 1000 USD Brise interconnect now... D: :D

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #63,184 of 90,405
@twister6 Do you think for me using the DDHIFI grounding adapter made for SONY NW-WM1Z M2 will eliminate this problem? I still hear the background hiss on louder volume.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #63,185 of 90,405
I have finally decided to part ways with my Anni 2021... so i can buy Anni 2023 muhahahaha. I bought it from a member of the watercooler. If anyone here is interested, I'm going to sell it for the same price I paid. Shipping included CONUS $2750. Listing will go up later tonight when I get home, but if anyone wants first dibs message me.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #63,186 of 90,405
I have finally decided to part ways with my Anni 2021... so i can buy Anni 2023 muhahahaha. I bought it from a member of the watercooler. If anyone here is interested, I'm going to sell it for the same price I paid. Shipping included CONUS $2750. Listing will go up later tonight when I get home, but if anyone wants first dibs message me.
Isn’t that what a new 2023 costs? 😂

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #63,187 of 90,405
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #63,188 of 90,405
@twister6 Do you think for me using the DDHIFI grounding adapter made for SONY NW-WM1Z M2 will eliminate this problem? I still hear the background hiss on louder volume.

Which iem, bud? I do have WM1Z M2 and DDhifi adapter, so can test it for you.

... actually, nevermind, since you probably want to test it with Tsu which I don't have anymore :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #63,189 of 90,405
Ok!
I am thinking of getting a Soranik Basilica

IMG_2964.png

IMG_2965.png

IMG_2962.jpeg

Still thinking through which face plates to get.

Has anyone tried these IEMs?

I had a brief audition in Singapore and it was surprisingly good and natural sounding.

I'm getting a Soranik - the flagship model - later this year after my Grand Maestro. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I think it's the Bastille but need to double check

Just listed my Phonix LE https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/ve-phonix-le.52774/ I have a Noble Ronin Presitge + arriving tomorrow and that will cover the specific genre that I used the Phonix LE for. I have a few new toys in the works, too.

Sorry to hear you're selling, Gratz on the new pickup!

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #63,192 of 90,405
Shameless plug, but I am selling my Odyssey here. Looking to upgrade to Raven. Somewhat flexible on price
images (8).jpeg

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #63,193 of 90,405
Hey Fellow Coolers!

I hope everything is doing great for you and that you are enjoying some well deserved summer rest!

Long time no write - hectic time July and August at work, now I have a few days off, enjoying Italy countryside.

Italy1.png

Italy2.png

I had more than 100 pages to catch-up, took me some days haha :sweat_smile:
But it's always a pleasure to read your great posts (minus the troller posts on on the cables ...).

BTW I am very much a cable believer but not a microSD card believer :relieved:
I swapped in my WM1ZM2 my 1 TB Sandisk Extreme Pro with this 1.5 TB Micron card and I didn't notice any improvement in SQ - unless SQ is Storage Quantity :smile:

Micron.png

I travelled light, with just the L&P W4 and Z1R, marvelous combo!
L&P has added to the W4 a SDF tuning for the Z1R and you get a very balanced, musical and detailed sound. This DAC is very capable and I find it to be better then some more expensive DAPs. Streaming mostly via Qobuz.

W41ZR.png

I had the chance to listen to a few nice things in June and July : the Alambic Ears Mentawai, Aure Audio Ringo with a rare cable : the Effect Audio Ares S Founders Edition, you can see Suyang’s signature engraved on it (10 units - it's an Ares S mixed with a copper-gold alloy and an exotic palladium plated copper.) from fellow head-fier @DaveStarWalker and a prototype of the Rhaspodio Analog from magician @Solarsammy.

Ringo.png

FE1.png

FE2.png

The Analog is by far my favorite Rhapsodio (I have listened to the Supreme mk2 and the Zombie, owned the Infinity mk2), very detailed, big soundstage, excellent treble, excellent bass (but less then on my DC Ti - especially sub bass) but it remains musical and not a reference pair like the Supreme mk2 could be. The person to whom I borrowed the Analog and who owned the Supreme mk3, told me that the Analog sound better than Supreme mk3.
Fit was great using bi-flange, stock cable which I suspect is the Rhapsodio Copper Evolution is a perfect match, better synergy than with my PW Orpheus. A pleasure to do long listen as it's not fatiguing. Pricewise if it comes out someday it will definitely be TOTL priced, around 4k USD.

Analog1.png

Analog2.png

I have also bought a pair of Bang&Olufsen Beoplay EX TWS, very nice, premium quality and the sound is really good, a bit better than the AirPods Pro (slighty more soundstage and better bass) but not enough for me to keep them. They are very long to connect to my iPhone compared to the AirPods Pro 2, I was missing calls because they were taking to long to pair. They are nice and they sound really good but frankly when you are in the Apple ecosystem the SQ difference does not make it worth to own them vs AirPods Pro 2. So I'm now exploring other eartips for the APP to see if I can enahnce a bit the sound quality.

EX1.png

EX2.png

EX5.png

EX6.png

EX7.png

EX8.png

Xelastec.png

Oh and I have also ordered some ear tips : Spinfit W1 (which I find excellent on my TZ700) and double flange CP240 to try on the 1ZR.

I'm always in love with my DC Ti paired to the WM1ZM2 with a Brise Yatono 8W.

DCTI.png

mixedbyerry.png

BTW the Netflix movie from the book is really great and is about the love of music (sort of)
https://www.netflix.com/title/81581068

MBE2.jpg

MBE.png

On my radar :
IEM : a pair of custom JustEar since I hope to travel to Japan beginning of 2024 and would love to hear Storm and Singularity. Waiting for next Traillii iteration as the Ti version is nowhere to be found outside China and price difference vs OG seems too high for me.
Cable :a Dita Celeste to pair with 1ZR
DAP : would love to try the A&K SE300, waiting for the L&P LP7 but not having much hope that it will be affordable - look at the Cayin N30LE

Cheers!

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #63,194 of 90,405
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #63,195 of 90,405

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back