The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #89,401 of 90,405
Have you tried IEMs from your AIC10? :)

I have!
  1. It’s superb!
  2. Noise floor is just on the verge of being ok with hard loads and not so with easy ones.
  3. I have a passive filter adapter from Frans at DIY Audio Heaven from the days I owned a CFA3, a beast of an amp, where I used these with sensitive headphones. Of course adding any resistance has potential impact, but these are done so well there’s barely none I can perceive. With this, I can use any IEM with the AIC and it’s glorious! (a useful accessory to have in any case) — https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/passive-filters/
My #1 full-size amp for IEMs is the Auris Nirvana. As a fulll transformer-couple amp it’s extraordinarily quiet (the best noise floor of any amp I’ve ever had, SS, tube or hybrid), and with Mullard tubes rolled in it’s especially sweet sounding - best I’ve heard for IEM amping to my taste.

May 16, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #89,402 of 90,405
Also listened to this little desktop amp. Which has the specific functionality of being a pre-amp. The dap controls the volume, the amp just gives more power.

This also opened up the Jewel by quite a margin, specifically the bass was lifted. And overal impact.

It did not have dcs lina details (but I dont expect that at its price, which is still €3k).
I dont think its well known but its called the Resolute by HAA and Thrax.

The owner was kind enough to borrow it to me, so Ill listen to it more in detail this weekend

IMG_6482.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #89,403 of 90,405
Deleted

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #89,404 of 90,405
HOT DAMN the XE6 is a beautiful sounding IEM. I am NOT a basshead by any stretch and I hate a sloppy/messy presentation where the bass just leaks all over the place, but these are incredibly well-tuned. I'm frankly shocked. I have not tried any other Fir offerings but this is just an incredibly engaging set. I'm pretty blown away.

May 16, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #89,405 of 90,405
Also listened to this little desktop amp. Which has the specific functionality of being a pre-amp. The dap controls the volume, the amp just gives more power.

This also opened up the Jewel by quite a margin, specifically the bass was lifted. And overal impact.

It did not have dcs lina details (but I dont expect that at its price, which is still €3k).
I dont think its well known but its called the Resolute by HAA and Thrax.

The owner was kind enough to borrow it to me, so Ill listen to it more in detail this weekend

IMG_6482.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg
I’m really interested about this one! It’s a power amp you can take in your bag and will dry 1266/susvara. Versatile with option to connect a mobile DAP or stationary dac with pre amp

May 16, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #89,406 of 90,405
Just heard this stack…..

I think im ruined now…

IMG_6489.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg

Desktop gear + iem’s is my new goal now, sheesh
I like that stack as well. Expensive!

Now try this stack at 1/3 the amount ( under $10k) and potentially be further stunned!

1715886336183.jpeg

By the way, if you are doing really well, HRA makes a dedicated stand for the Lina Stack:

IMG_6076.png
IMG_6077.jpeg

I don’t think my desk can even hold the stand!

May 16, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #89,407 of 90,405
I’m really interested about this one! It’s a power amp you can take in your bag and will dry 1266/susvara. Versatile with option to connect a mobile DAP or stationary dac with pre amp
Listening to it while typing this 😅

Yeah its really worth an audition. I know its marketed for headphones (and build with that reason). The Meze Elite shine on them.

But to my surprise I like them even more on my IEM’s. The Jewel opens up with way bigger stage, dynamics and bass.

Bass on the Jewel is THUNDERING, listening to “Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times - Hans Zimmer” the opening bass effect is just bonkers. (And this is comming from a trifecta owner)

Edit: yeah is also transportable, but thats just a bonus, not the main selling point)

IMG_6500.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg
IMG_6497.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #89,408 of 90,405
Listening to it while typing this 😅

Yeah its really worth an audition. I know its marketed for headphones (and build with that reason). The Meze Elite shine on them.

But to my surprise I like them even more on my IEM’s. The Jewel opens up with way bigger stage, dynamics and bass.

Bass on the Jewel is THUNDERING, listening to “Beginnings Are Such Delicate Times - Hans Zimmer” the opening bass effect is just bonkers. (And this is comming from a trifecta owner)

Edit: yeah is also transportable, but thats just a bonus, not the main selling point)

How is the noice floor with IEMs, other than the jewel? Jewel is not sensitive at all

May 16, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #89,409 of 90,405
How is the noice floor with IEMs, other than the jewel? Jewel is not sensitive at all
Trying them on the CP622B now, and I notice that the 4.4 jumper cable picks up noise.

So a shielded interconnect would be recommended.

But when I lift that cable (I have a cluttered desk lol) of the desk, I hear as good as nothing. The cable picks up A LOT of noise when I place it on my keyboard… wow

May 16, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #89,410 of 90,405
Trying them on the CP622B now, and I notice that the 4.4 jumper cable picks up noise.

So a shielded interconnect would be recommended.

But when I lift that cable (I have a cluttered desk lol) of the desk, I hear as good as nothing. The cable picks up A LOT of noise when I place it on my keyboard… wow
I dont have more sensitive IEM’s on me, but on the Jewel and CP622B the noisefloor is great.

Just get good cables lol
Never heard this much interference from a cable line

May 16, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #89,411 of 90,405
HOT DAMN the XE6 is a beautiful sounding IEM. I am NOT a basshead by any stretch and I hate a sloppy/messy presentation where the bass just leaks all over the place, but these are incredibly well-tuned. I'm frankly shocked. I have not tried any other Fir offerings but this is just an incredibly engaging set. I'm pretty blown away.
From what source did you listen to electronics and which module did you use?

May 16, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #89,412 of 90,405
Yeah, but I highly doubt they make an ie900 cable
I'll have versa connectors on my Aristotle and Euclid, will check if they fit the ie900. Imo the raphael is not "extremely light and thin", it's noticeably less pliable than the Fortitude
That's a good point. I tried my OTL Versa and it doesn't fit IE900 - my bad! Maybe if we ask @Eric Chong really nicely he'll consider making IE900-compatible Versa for IE900 🤗
Couldn't agree more. Wait till you hook it up to a TOTL DAP with a TOTL cable...it really scales, even though it's so easy to drive. Busy immersing myself in Billie's latest and it's crazy good...

cover.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #89,413 of 90,405
and whatnot. Now it's nowhere to be found
Agree on that, I enjoy Penon but the asked price for the build quality may not be up to the first perception.
No doubt tuning and conception are great but asked price should serve for something more, even more true when looking at this month releases from Elysian.
Many previous hypes, yet none still alive in polls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back