The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #50,221 of 87,828
I listened to Sultan with DX320X and it sounded fabulous! Try it amp11mk2 nothing special
Just responded to your PM - tnx for chiming in...

Regarding your 3,5mm only and microusb charging woes - I have adapters for both! I guess you can imagine what type of frankenstein contraption I've assembled, but amongst the gear I've got to hear, the mojo is one of the best portables, and definitely punches above it's weight. Not that I want to change your mind or anything. I'm just fine with oldschool color coded menus, LCDs and OLEDs be damned :)
I'm not very much in love with adaptors to be honest. At demos I noticed that even the slightest wiggle of the plug gets you a totally different sound. This didn't happen just once but a dozen times with different plugs in different shops. So if I can avoid it I will. Heck, even my Anker PD charger (European prongs) doesn't work in 90% of hotel sockets unless I find the sweet spot after a minute of tweaking. I mean, how difficult can it be??? But like now I'm using the OG adapter with Euro prongs in a US adapter in the Malaysian adapter to make things work. Hate it.

drftr

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #50,222 of 87,828
Cross-posted to the CanJam thread. My show report-- some of this has already been posted here so apologies in advance for that.

What a spectacular show! I'm sitting here in my room at the Marriot completely exhausted but simultaneously overwhelmed with the excitement and emotion of the previous two days trying to gather my thoughts into words. This was only my second CanJam but I can already see how each succesive experience becomes richer due to all the connections made and fellowship with all involved. I'm exceedingly grateful for everyone who made the last two days happen.

Compared to SoCal CanJam NYC was a vastly different experience in many ways due to the sheer excitement of the venue. Anaheim has its charm but what can compare with the bustle and energy of Times Square New York-- it's positively exhilarating to be here and this just added to the excitement and atmosphere of the show.

333915585_2880939525374335_8022328453394195508_n.jpg

333724495_1204621197092425_5922085323656702934_n.jpg

A couple caveats before getting going:

1) My interest is primarily IEMs so that is where I spent pretty much all of my time. I did get to hear a couple very hice headphones though-- more on that later.

2) When I talk about "in show highlights" and rankings I will confine myself to IEMs/sources that I heard for the first time this weekend, so stuff like the Trifecta, Annihilator and FatFreq Maestro SE won't factor into my rankings here.

3) As people who know me from the Watercooler thread probably already know my preference leans strongly towards musicality and DD driven sets. YMMV and all that.

4) As epic and wonderful as CanJam is the underlying excitement of the show and rapid fire pace of the demos make the conditions less than ideal to get comprehensive fully rounded impressions. Take everything with an appropriate grain of salt.

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

334051076_727773012215512_251744157194275648_n.jpg

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 is the new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was something of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is exactly what they were going for. it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Washington (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Washington came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

333897888_983193393055498_259644429458210681_n.jpg

2) Subtonic Storm

333218062_713558116904577_2463522231804149610_n.jpg

This artisan IEM from boutique Singaporean IEM company Subtonic caught me by surprise in a very good way. The Storm has been much discussed in my audio circles lately and given that it's marketed as the "ultimate reference IEM" I went in expecting that I would appreciate it but that it wouldn't really be my thing since I don't really go for purely reference sets and I love my DDs. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Superb technicalities, coherence and balance. I didn't want to take it out of my ears and kept looking for more songs to try...which is possibly the highest complement I can pay an IEM. A little plain at first but it is beguiling over time with the depth of sonic tapestry that it reveals. The passion of its makers comes out in the listening experience. Great BA bass but it's definitely BA bass. The quality of the bass is something that sets it above the similarly configured Traillii to my ears. People who took issue with the Bird's bass response will find a lot to love here.

3) Vision Ears' "pink" prototype

VE had two prototypes with undisclosed driver configurations, one being pink and the other blue. Both had their charms but the pink model-- which clearly had a DD in it-- positively took my breath away. Similar gestalt as the VE8-- rich seductive mids-- but with some of the most epic DD bass I've ever heard. Incredible bass response that manifested with a thunderous gutteral rumble. Perfect balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. This IEM leaned a touch dark but highs were refined, luscious and sweet, and the imaging superb. Many of us have been craving an IEM with VE's peerless mids and a bit of an indulgant not-qute-basshead-but-leaning-there bass response. This ticked that box and some. I really hope this one goes into production as I will be all over it.

Some other highlights and notables...

Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

333954342_217526507328285_6879838344274509537_n.jpg

Massive and holographic with superb imaging-- very clean and precise. Bass is not dominant but it never has been in any Solaris. I don't get any of the "metallic timbre" suggested by the Audio 46 review. This has a bit of an aggressive "in your face presentation" that is characteristic of CFA IEMs. A great IEM and definitely a step up from the 2020. Better mids than the OG and better treble than the SE...tempted to consider this a "best of all worlds" Solaris. If nothing else the Stellar Horizon preserves much of the spirit of earlier models and addresses most if not all of the criticisms-- fans of previous Solari will find lots to love here. To me this new model is exactly what you'd expect if you took two of Trifecta's DDs and swapped in (4?) BAs-- you lose the full bodied analogue coherence, keep the 3d holographic stage and add a hefty dose of top end sparkle, resolution and clarity. I went back and heard the Solaris a few times and it really is fantastic. I prefer this Solaris to both Ragnar (too much top end energy for me) and Blanc.

Vision Ears Phonix LE

333798431_3384871668395475_8301992615737493787_n.jpg

The Phonix LE is a knockout. I got to hear the storied Erlkonig finally this weekend and preferred its more transparent sound to that of the OG Phonix. The Phonix LE closer in sound to the Erlky to my ears. This is possibly my favorite BA set of all time. Classic VE midrange romance and excellence.

Noble Ronin

333620336_893059475339465_7826752581577034373_n.jpg

The Noble Ronin was also excellent, though for me as a BA set it falls in the towering shadow of the Phonix LE...mostly because I just jive with VE's tuning compared to Nobles which tends to lean a little brighter as a rule.

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

333976458_1626589001097208_5214999418373961020_n.jpg

I managed a demo of @wazzupi's Viking Damascus and it was simply excellent. Greater perceived bass impact and presence than the Ragnar, which comes off a little bright and fatiguing to me.

333923220_775246473936761_2398234781985042449_n.jpg

@Chang, a rep from Subtonic, had a few prototype projects of his own that he is working on and this single DD, soon to be released as the "Singularity" is positively excellent. Great bass reponse and full spectrum detail and clarity. I'll definitely be buying one of these and will certainly be keeping up with (and hopefully putting on tour) some of his IEMs.

333041208_882765182936909_4371502689989997297_n.jpg
L -R: LP6, P6 Pro, Cayin N7

Old news in many respects but I finally got to hear the Luxury & Precision LP6 and P6 Pro and both are hands down two of the nicest sources I've ever heard. LP6 in particular is so much better sounding than anything-- so full bodied and muscular yet transparent, detailed and technical at the same time. The LP6 just puts out a sound that flows over you like a blissful analogue river. I quite like the new Cayin. It's a bit of a chunk but it's got a nice R2R character and isn't as bright (or, conversely, as revealing) as the n8ii...which works very well for my tastes. On that note all 3 DAPs above have a similar character to my ears. The P6 Pro is more transparent and not as full bodied as the other 2. The N7 is something of a baby LP6 with a better UI. LP6 still wins for sound but N7 is damn good for like 1/3 the price and more functionality.

On that note...

333905509_567321542002997_5611193740056925798_n.jpg

Trifecta + LP6 is currently my personal high bar benchmark for IEM excellence right now-- full bodied analogue perfection.

The one and only Oenaryo Traillii

333708708_5991645040912458_6960657305163384127_n.jpg

I finally got to hear the legendary black and red bird. Same Traillii greatness but I think the Bird may have been finally been eclipsed by the Storm for me. Great involving tuning in both cases but the Storm's bass response pulls it ahead imho.

UM MEST Mkiii

333900154_1378921076190467_7931820075615807216_n.jpg

The MEST III may be my favorite MEST-- I think UM finally nailed natural sounding mids in their MEST line here.

FatFreq Grand Maestro

333963566_640422808093352_534357936073382341_n.jpg

I was pleased to check out the Fatfreq Grand Maestro at the Musicteck table. A more refined-in-the-mids and less bass dominant presentation than the the Maestro Mini or the SE. Possibly the best "all rounder" of the Fafreq lineup.

A couple disappointments...
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea

333892101_845785110225183_2699294952900318400_n.jpg

Surprisingly the new Andromeda was a ilttle "meh" for me. I think they're trying to make it sound a little like the analogue Trifecta-- which imho just doesn't work with BAs. I think it's even darker than the 2020 and lacks a bit of the transparency and clarity I love from that model and the top end sparkle of (what is still) my favorite incarnation of the Andromeda-- the OG. Also for only a bit more you can get the Elysian Diva which absolutely blows this Andro out of the water.

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

IMG_4543.jpg

This one didn't do much for me-- feels kind of 2-d, a little veiled and with blunted treble coming from the Solaris, which I much preferred and which is $1000 cheaper.

Off the beaten path...

333996097_167018416099553_850599069416914332_n.jpg

I got to hear this magnificent setup. Unfortunately the open design combined with the very busy loud and crowded room in which I was listening made the demo less than ideal. Also I think fundamentally am not really a headphone guy-- I'm to used to the "nudged right up to your brain" intimacy that IEMs give.

333618940_3331635850480140_3256819263216043132_n.jpg

The new Jomo prototype. Nice in-offensive tuning. Great bass. Mids were a touch recessed and vocals sounded a little glossy or something to me.

Other highlights...

333973775_534196718586958_6780996958641495191_n.jpg

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting via email set to that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

333900365_5905120546190808_7516596996537609682_n.jpg

Was nice to finally meet the one and only @twister6.

333905476_876746523607290_8130488283441613584_n.jpg

Love these group photos with Watercooler legends. Much gratitude to @HiFiHawaii808 for the nametags.

Pictured (L-R): @goldwerger @Zachik @HiFiHawaii808 @Frankie D @RTodd @Sifo @Rockwell75 @twister6 @wazzupi @Natesdailies @Skyediver

333708693_1393747844498448_5401207359003814248_n.jpg

Post-show IEM sesh.

333824917_888939088992813_72790149940223338_n.jpg

Enjoying the local culture.

334014321_537312551848752_6546779219264212490_n.jpg

Forming friendships and sharing fellowship-- the true value of CanJam.

Was an epic show. I'll be experiencing some post-partum CanJam depression for the next few days I'm sure.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #50,223 of 87,828
Cross-posted to the CanJam thread. My show report-- some of this has already been posted here so apologies in advance for that.

What a spectacular show! I'm sitting here in my room at the Marriot completely exhausted but simultaneously overwhelmed with the excitement and emotion of the previous two days trying to gather my thoughts into words. This was only my second CanJam but I can already see how each succesive experience becomes richer due to all the connections made and fellowship with all involved. I'm exceedingly grateful for everyone who made the last two days happen.

Compared to SoCal CanJam NYC was a vastly different experience in many ways due to the sheer excitement of the venue. Anaheim has its charm but what can compare with the bustle and energy of Times Square New York-- it's positively exhilarating to be here and this just added to the excitement and atmosphere of the show.

1) My interest is primarily IEMs so that is where I spent pretty much all of my time. I did get to hear a couple very hice headphones though-- more on that later.

2) When I talk about "in show highlights" and rankings I will confine myself to IEMs/sources that I heard for the first time this weekend, so stuff like the Trifecta, Annihilator and FatFreq Maestro SE won't factor into my rankings here.

3) As people who know me from the Watercooler thread probably already know my preference leans strongly towards musicality and DD driven sets. YMMV and all that.

4) As epic and wonderful as CanJam is the underlying excitement of the show and rapid fire pace of the demos make the conditions less than ideal to get comprehensive fully rounded impressions. Take everything with an appropriate grain of salt.

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series-- it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Oregon (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Oregon came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

2) Subtonic Storm

This artisan IEM from boutique Singaporean IEM company Subtonic caught me by surprise in a very good way. The Storm has been much discussed in my audio circles lately and given that it's marketed as the "ultimate reference IEM" I went in expecting that I would appreciate it but that it wouldn't really be my thing since I don't really go for purely reference sets and I love my DDs. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Superb technicalities, coherence and balance. I didn't want to take it out of my ears and kept looking for more songs to try...which is possibly the highest complement I can pay an IEM. A little plain at first but it is beguiling over time with the depth of sonic tapestry that it reveals. The passion of its makers comes out in the listening experience. Great BA bass but it's definitely BA bass. The quality of the bass is something that sets it above the similarly configured Traillii to my ears. People who took issue with the Bird's bass response will find a lot to love here.

VE had two prototypes with undisclosed driver configurations, one being pink and the other blue. Both had their charms but the pink model-- which clearly had a DD in it-- positively took my breath away. Similar gestalt as the VE8-- rich seductive mids-- but with some of the most epic DD bass I've ever heard. Incredible bass response that manifested with a thunderous gutteral rumble. Perfect balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. This IEM leaned a touch dark but highs were refined, luscious and sweet, and the imaging superb. Many of us have been craving an IEM with VE's peerless mids and a bit of an indulgant not-qute-basshead-but-leaning-there bass response. This ticked that box and some. I really hope this one goes into production as I will be all over it.

Massive and holographic with superb imaging-- very clean and precise. Bass is not dominant but it never has been in any Solaris. I don't get any of the "metallic timbre" suggested by the Audio 46 review. This has a bit of an aggressive "in your face presentation" that is characteristic of CFA IEMs. A great IEM and definitely a step up from the 2020. Better mids than the OG and better treble than the SE...tempted to consider this a "best of all worlds" Solaris. If nothing else the Stellar Horizon preserves much of the spirit of earlier models and addresses most if not all of the criticisms-- fans of previous Solari will find lots to love here. To me this new model is exactly what you'd expect if you took two of Trifecta's DDs and swapped in (4?) BAs-- you lose the full bodied analogue coherence, keep the 3d holographic stage and add a hefty dose of top end sparkle, resolution and clarity. I went back and heard the Solaris a few times and it really is fantastic. I prefer this Solaris to both Ragnar (too much top end energy for me) and Blanc.

The Phonix LE is a knockout. I got to hear the storied Erlkonig finally this weekend and preferred its more transparent sound to that of the OG Phonix. The Phonix LE closer in sound to the Erlky to my ears. This is possibly my favorite BA set of all time. Classic VE midrange romance and excellence.

The Noble Ronin was also excellent, though for me as a BA set it falls in the towering shadow of the Phonix LE...mostly because I just jive with VE's tuning compared to Nobles which tends to lean a little brighter as a rule.

All of that said...

I managed a demo of @wazzupi's Viking Damascus and it was simply excellent. Greater perceived bass impact and presence than the Ragnar, which comes off a little bright and fatiguing to me.

@Chang, a rep from Subtonic, had a few prototype projects of his own that he is working on and this single DD, soon to be released as the "Singularity" is positively excellent. Great bass reponse and full spectrum detail and clarity. I'll definitely be buying one of these and will certainly be keeping up with (and hopefully putting on tour) some of his IEMs.

Old news in many respects but I finally got to hear the Luxury & Precision LP6 and P6 Pro and both are hands down two of the nicest sources I've ever heard. LP6 in particular is so much better sounding than anything-- so full bodied and muscular yet transparent, detailed and technical at the same time. The LP6 just puts out a sound that flows over you like a blissful analogue river. I quite like the new Cayin. It's a bit of a chunk but it's got a nice R2R character and isn't as bright (or, conversely, as revealing) as the n8ii...which works very well for my tastes. On that note all 3 DAPs above have a similar character to my ears. The P6 Pro is more transparent and not as full bodied as the other 2. The N7 is something of a baby LP6 with a better UI. LP6 still wins for sound but N7 is damn good for like 1/3 the price and more functionality.

On that note...

Trifecta + LP6 is currently my personal high bar benchmark for IEM excellence right now-- full bodied analogue perfection.

I finally got to hear the legendary black and red bird. Same Traillii greatness but I think the Bird may have been finally been eclipsed by the Storm for me. Great involving tuning in both cases but the Storm's bass response pulls it ahead imho.

The MEST III may be my favorite MEST-- I think UM finally nailed natural sounding mids in their MEST line here.

I was pleased to check out the Fatfreq Grand Maestro at the Musicteck table. A more refined-in-the-mids and less bass dominant presentation than the the Maestro Mini or the SE. Possibly the best "all rounder" of the Fafreq lineup.

Surprisingly the new Andromeda was a ilttle "meh" for me. I think they're trying to make it sound a little like the analogue Trifecta-- which imho just doesn't work with BAs. I think it's even darker than the 2020 and lacks a bit of the transparency and clarity I love from that model and the top end sparkle of (what is still) my favorite incarnation of the Andromeda-- the OG. Also for only a bit more you can get the Elysian Diva which absolutely blows this Andro out of the water.

This one didn't do much for me-- feels kind of 2-d, a little veiled and with blunted treble coming from the Solaris, which I much preferred and which is $1000 cheaper.

Off the beaten path...

I got to hear this magnificent setup. Unfortunately the open design combined with the very busy loud and crowded room in which I was listening made the demo less than ideal. Also I think fundamentally am not really a headphone guy-- I'm to used to the "nudged right up to your brain" intimacy that IEMs give.

The new Jomo prototype. Nice in-offensive tuning. Great bass. Mids were a touch recessed and vocals sounded a little glossy or something to me.

Other highlights...

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting with him via email to set that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

Love these group photos with Watercooler legends. Much gratitude to @HiFiHawaii808 for the nametags.

Pictured (L-R): @goldwerger @Zachik @HiFiHawaii808 @Frankie D @RTodd @Sifo @Rockwell75 @twister6 @wazzupi @Natesdailies @Skyediver

Post-show IEM sesh.

Was an epic show. I'll be experiencing some post-partum CanJam depression for the next few days I'm sure.
What a crazy epic post.
This may easily be one of my favorites here in the Watercooler thread that encapsulates all the emotions of shared camaraderie and adventures of hifi rabbit hole.

Thank you for sharing your experience!! 🥰
This makes me excited what Canjam Singapore may bring to the table.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #50,224 of 87,828
Jeff, I managed to read 2 different things in your sentence. Are you saying the perceived bass impact and presence of the Damascus came over a little bright and fatiguing, or did Ragnar sound a little bright and fatiguing? Tnx...

drftr

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #50,225 of 87,828
Jeff, I managed to read 2 different things in your sentence. Are you saying the perceived bass impact and presence of the Damascus came over a little bright and fatiguing, or did Ragnar sound a little bright and fatiguing? Tnx...

drftr

I found Damascus to have greater percieved bass presence than the Ragnar which offsets the brightness that I'm more fixated on in the latter. I know not everyone heard it this way though. Ragnar I find fatiguing, Damascus much less so (though it straddles the line sometimes).

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #50,226 of 87,828
Glad you could make it out man. Definitely a valuable experience for any audio enthusiast to check out canjam imo, if not to demo the gear, to socialize with others that "get it"

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #50,227 of 87,828
I found Damascus to have greater percieved bass presence than the Ragnar which offsets the brightness that I'm more fixated on in the latter. I know not everyone heard it this way though. Ragnar I find fatiguing, Damascus much less so (though it straddles the line sometimes).
Got it - tnx... Probably means that if you listen to for instance female vocals with strings it might come across as being too bright because there's no compensation. Duly noted.

drftr

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #50,228 of 87,828
I don't think I can ever switch from iems to full size headphones. Of course, just a personal opinion and not a personal ignorance since I have been reviewing portable audio (iems and daps) for many years. But most of the times when people are discussing higher end headphones, I keep reading "it sounds horrible with A, B, C desktop setups" but "it shines with X, Y, Z desktop setups". So it becomes an equation heavily dependent on two of these variables, desktop dac/amp and headphones (either open or close). When it comes to IEMs, pair up synergy is important and can fine tune the sound, but it is less drastic in comparison to headphones and desktop sources. As an example, I tried highly regarded Focal Stellia at CanJam in Bloom's room, connected it directly to my LPGT, and found it to sound completely lifeless, and I mean really bad. People next to me were just rolling their eyes because I should have been using it with Burson amps :)
In a nutshell, the reason I sold off my last remaining "endgame" desktop gear and switched to 100% portable listening (aside from the obvious 'con' of being tethered to one spot to listen to music). The flip side is that with desktop gear, once you get the synergy right, most folks stick with one or two combinations of headphones/source gear (there's always the crazy collectors, of course, but generally speaking), while with IEMs, more people seem to treat IEMs as "collectibles", and increasingly DAPs too. Again, generalising, but in the circles I frequent, folks switch IEMs as often as they do wardrobes.
In a good or a bad way, Frankie? :wink: My take on Storm was the same as my take on Trifecta and Blanc. I usually have a few test tracks, pop/EDM, which I use as a common denominator for IEM testing. If it works with those few tracks, it will work with any music genre. Well, I can see why people find trifecta, no pun intended, of these 3 iems to be so polarizing. Because they failed my EDM test songs which typically use synthesized instruments. But once I switched to a music with acoustic natural instruments, these IEMs were shining!!! I know that I'm obviously preaching to the choir, but in cases like this it all depends on the genre of music, not just the tuning :)
I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that the current FOTMs are HEAVILY biased towards EDM/electronic playlists. Mentor, Xe6, Maestro SE...all being 'hyped' based on their EDM acumen - which is not to say they're not great with other genres, but if EDM/electronic is not your jam, these may not be chart toppers for you. "YMMV and all that." -- Jeff R.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #50,229 of 87,828
For all those who have been able to test the Maestro Mini and the Maestro SE these days, could you briefly comment on their differences, or the disadvantages of the Mini VS SE?
Does the Mini have any problems that discourage its purchase compared to the SE?

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #50,230 of 87,828
Glad you could make it out man. Definitely a valuable experience for any audio enthusiast to check out canjam imo, if not to demo the gear, to socialize with others that "get it"

Yeah nobody in my day to day life knows or cares about audio/IEMs at all. It's so nice to go to an event where we an share the love and conversation in person. Was great to meet you.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #50,231 of 87,828

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 is the new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was something of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is exactly what they were going for. it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Washington (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Washington came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

2) Subtonic Storm

Vision Ears Phonix LE

Noble Ronin

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

On that note...

UM MEST Mkiii

FatFreq Grand Maestro

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

Off the beaten path...

Other highlights...

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting via email set to that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

Post-show IEM sesh.

Great post Jeff! :sunglasses:

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #50,232 of 87,828

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

2) Subtonic Storm

Vision Ears Phonix LE

Noble Ronin

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

On that note...

UM MEST Mkiii

FatFreq Grand Maestro

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

Off the beaten path...

Other highlights...

Post-show IEM sesh.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Nice group photos. Congratulations to all of you

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #50,233 of 87,828
Most of those folks are way over stating the effects of the desktop gear. While certainly important, top gear will be fine with most if not all HP’s. Obviously using an amp with low power can become a problem, but you can easily find a good one that is also powerful.
I agree. An amp like the Ferrum OOR can play all non electrostatic headphones well.
I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that the current FOTMs are HEAVILY biased towards EDM/electronic playlists. Mentor, Xe6, Maestro SE...all being 'hyped' based on their EDM acumen - which is not to say they're not great with other genres, but if EDM/electronic is not your jam, these may not be chart toppers for you.
I agree with this. Xe6 would be a good example of that, from my personal experience. Important for folks who don’t normally listen to electronic to keep this bias in mind imo.

By the way, nice to see some positive feedback on the Erlkonig in the CJ reports. Enjoying the winter sun with this beautiful set.

D3ED844F-85CF-4F07-9171-63E297C62934.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #50,234 of 87,828
It's so nice to come back to a good restaurant where you've been before, but this was a bit surreal I thought.

I walk into a Vietnamese restaurant in a Malaysian mall where I've been twice before; the last time being 4 months ago. One of the guys comes to me and asks me if I want the same thing as usual. I go "Huh? Do you know what I ate the last time then???". He goes "Yes of course! You had veg fried rice, asked to add some ginger, and drank a fresh coconut juice!".

Sounded great to me so that's what I took. And yes, it also was what I ate a little over 4 months ago and it was the reason to go back. But they must see 100+ customers per day for 4 months in a row! Call me impressed... Oh, and don't ask me what I ate yesterday as I wouldn't remember.

Completely different wiring I guess.

drftr

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #50,235 of 87,828

Users who are viewing this thread

Back