The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 27, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #50,236 of 89,271
I don't think I can ever switch from iems to full size headphones. Of course, just a personal opinion and not a personal ignorance since I have been reviewing portable audio (iems and daps) for many years. But most of the times when people are discussing higher end headphones, I keep reading "it sounds horrible with A, B, C desktop setups" but "it shines with X, Y, Z desktop setups". So it becomes an equation heavily dependent on two of these variables, desktop dac/amp and headphones (either open or close). When it comes to IEMs, pair up synergy is important and can fine tune the sound, but it is less drastic in comparison to headphones and desktop sources. As an example, I tried highly regarded Focal Stellia at CanJam in Bloom's room, connected it directly to my LPGT, and found it to sound completely lifeless, and I mean really bad. People next to me were just rolling their eyes because I should have been using it with Burson amps :)
That's been the case for ages unfortunately and kills the fun for many. Most of the time all this talking is pure BS but people think they hear the wildest things depending on price of the amp.

If it measures good and gets loud enough, It's good. The rest is usually psychoacoustics. So for most headphones a good amp for 500-1000$ will perfectly do the trick unless you "need" special distortions to be able to enjoy your music...

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #50,237 of 89,271
I need some advice please with a 2 pin connector (I'm more used to mmcx). I bought some expensive iem's which sound sharp and fatiguing and didn't want to pull off the silver cable but after a few months have swopped it to a copper one out of frustration. Only on the much cheaper cable the pins are longer, does it matter - I haven't pushed it in with too much force and the top of the pins are just showing.

cables.jpg

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #50,238 of 89,271
I need some advice please with a 2 pin connector (I'm more used to mmcx). I bought some expensive iem's which sound sharp and fatiguing and didn't want to pull off the silver cable but after a few months have swopped it to a copper one out of frustration. Only on the much cheaper cable the pins are longer, does it matter - I haven't pushed it in with too much force and the top of the pins are just showing.

cables.jpg
Signal-wise there's no problem, but you need to be a bit more careful not to bend/break them, plus the cable may not wrap around your ear so nicely.

drftr

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #50,239 of 89,271
I am eyeballing it a bit but the metal prongs seem longer because the clear plastic is shorter than on the silver barreled cable so the overall length should be the same?

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #50,240 of 89,271
Cross-posted to the CanJam thread. My show report-- some of this has already been posted here so apologies in advance for that.

What a spectacular show! I'm sitting here in my room at the Marriot completely exhausted but simultaneously overwhelmed with the excitement and emotion of the previous two days trying to gather my thoughts into words. This was only my second CanJam but I can already see how each succesive experience becomes richer due to all the connections made and fellowship with all involved. I'm exceedingly grateful for everyone who made the last two days happen.

Compared to SoCal CanJam NYC was a vastly different experience in many ways due to the sheer excitement of the venue. Anaheim has its charm but what can compare with the bustle and energy of Times Square New York-- it's positively exhilarating to be here and this just added to the excitement and atmosphere of the show.

A couple caveats before getting going:

1) My interest is primarily IEMs so that is where I spent pretty much all of my time. I did get to hear a couple very hice headphones though-- more on that later.

2) When I talk about "in show highlights" and rankings I will confine myself to IEMs/sources that I heard for the first time this weekend, so stuff like the Trifecta, Annihilator and FatFreq Maestro SE won't factor into my rankings here.

3) As people who know me from the Watercooler thread probably already know my preference leans strongly towards musicality and DD driven sets. YMMV and all that.

4) As epic and wonderful as CanJam is the underlying excitement of the show and rapid fire pace of the demos make the conditions less than ideal to get comprehensive fully rounded impressions. Take everything with an appropriate grain of salt.

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 is the new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was something of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is exactly what they were going for. it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Washington (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Washington came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

2) Subtonic Storm

This artisan IEM from boutique Singaporean IEM company Subtonic caught me by surprise in a very good way. The Storm has been much discussed in my audio circles lately and given that it's marketed as the "ultimate reference IEM" I went in expecting that I would appreciate it but that it wouldn't really be my thing since I don't really go for purely reference sets and I love my DDs. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Superb technicalities, coherence and balance. I didn't want to take it out of my ears and kept looking for more songs to try...which is possibly the highest complement I can pay an IEM. A little plain at first but it is beguiling over time with the depth of sonic tapestry that it reveals. The passion of its makers comes out in the listening experience. Great BA bass but it's definitely BA bass. The quality of the bass is something that sets it above the similarly configured Traillii to my ears. People who took issue with the Bird's bass response will find a lot to love here.

3) Vision Ears' "pink" prototype

VE had two prototypes with undisclosed driver configurations, one being pink and the other blue. Both had their charms but the pink model-- which clearly had a DD in it-- positively took my breath away. Similar gestalt as the VE8-- rich seductive mids-- but with some of the most epic DD bass I've ever heard. Incredible bass response that manifested with a thunderous gutteral rumble. Perfect balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. This IEM leaned a touch dark but highs were refined, luscious and sweet, and the imaging superb. Many of us have been craving an IEM with VE's peerless mids and a bit of an indulgant not-qute-basshead-but-leaning-there bass response. This ticked that box and some. I really hope this one goes into production as I will be all over it.

Some other highlights and notables...

Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

Massive and holographic with superb imaging-- very clean and precise. Bass is not dominant but it never has been in any Solaris. I don't get any of the "metallic timbre" suggested by the Audio 46 review. This has a bit of an aggressive "in your face presentation" that is characteristic of CFA IEMs. A great IEM and definitely a step up from the 2020. Better mids than the OG and better treble than the SE...tempted to consider this a "best of all worlds" Solaris. If nothing else the Stellar Horizon preserves much of the spirit of earlier models and addresses most if not all of the criticisms-- fans of previous Solari will find lots to love here. To me this new model is exactly what you'd expect if you took two of Trifecta's DDs and swapped in (4?) BAs-- you lose the full bodied analogue coherence, keep the 3d holographic stage and add a hefty dose of top end sparkle, resolution and clarity. I went back and heard the Solaris a few times and it really is fantastic. I prefer this Solaris to both Ragnar (too much top end energy for me) and Blanc.

Vision Ears Phonix LE

The Phonix LE is a knockout. I got to hear the storied Erlkonig finally this weekend and preferred its more transparent sound to that of the OG Phonix. The Phonix LE closer in sound to the Erlky to my ears. This is possibly my favorite BA set of all time. Classic VE midrange romance and excellence.

Noble Ronin

The Noble Ronin was also excellent, though for me as a BA set it falls in the towering shadow of the Phonix LE...mostly because I just jive with VE's tuning compared to Nobles which tends to lean a little brighter as a rule.

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

I managed a demo of @wazzupi's Viking Damascus and it was simply excellent. Greater perceived bass impact and presence than the Ragnar, which comes off a little bright and fatiguing to me.

@Chang, a rep from Subtonic, had a few prototype projects of his own that he is working on and this single DD, soon to be released as the "Singularity" is positively excellent. Great bass reponse and full spectrum detail and clarity. I'll definitely be buying one of these and will certainly be keeping up with (and hopefully putting on tour) some of his IEMs.

L -R: LP6, P6 Pro, Cayin N7

Old news in many respects but I finally got to hear the Luxury & Precision LP6 and P6 Pro and both are hands down two of the nicest sources I've ever heard. LP6 in particular is so much better sounding than anything-- so full bodied and muscular yet transparent, detailed and technical at the same time. The LP6 just puts out a sound that flows over you like a blissful analogue river. I quite like the new Cayin. It's a bit of a chunk but it's got a nice R2R character and isn't as bright (or, conversely, as revealing) as the n8ii...which works very well for my tastes. On that note all 3 DAPs above have a similar character to my ears. The P6 Pro is more transparent and not as full bodied as the other 2. The N7 is something of a baby LP6 with a better UI. LP6 still wins for sound but N7 is damn good for like 1/3 the price and more functionality.

On that note...

Trifecta + LP6 is currently my personal high bar benchmark for IEM excellence right now-- full bodied analogue perfection.

The one and only Oenaryo Traillii

I finally got to hear the legendary black and red bird. Same Traillii greatness but I think the Bird may have been finally been eclipsed by the Storm for me. Great involving tuning in both cases but the Storm's bass response pulls it ahead imho.

UM MEST Mkiii

The MEST III may be my favorite MEST-- I think UM finally nailed natural sounding mids in their MEST line here.

FatFreq Grand Maestro

I was pleased to check out the Fatfreq Grand Maestro at the Musicteck table. A more refined-in-the-mids and less bass dominant presentation than the the Maestro Mini or the SE. Possibly the best "all rounder" of the Fafreq lineup.

A couple disappointments...
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea

Surprisingly the new Andromeda was a ilttle "meh" for me. I think they're trying to make it sound a little like the analogue Trifecta-- which imho just doesn't work with BAs. I think it's even darker than the 2020 and lacks a bit of the transparency and clarity I love from that model and the top end sparkle of (what is still) my favorite incarnation of the Andromeda-- the OG. Also for only a bit more you can get the Elysian Diva which absolutely blows this Andro out of the water.

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

This one didn't do much for me-- feels kind of 2-d, a little veiled and with blunted treble coming from the Solaris, which I much preferred and which is $1000 cheaper.

Off the beaten path...

I got to hear this magnificent setup. Unfortunately the open design combined with the very busy loud and crowded room in which I was listening made the demo less than ideal. Also I think fundamentally am not really a headphone guy-- I'm to used to the "nudged right up to your brain" intimacy that IEMs give.

The new Jomo prototype. Nice in-offensive tuning. Great bass. Mids were a touch recessed and vocals sounded a little glossy or something to me.

Other highlights...

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting via email set to that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

Was nice to finally meet the one and only @twister6.

Love these group photos with Watercooler legends. Much gratitude to @HiFiHawaii808 for the nametags.

Pictured (L-R): @goldwerger @Zachik @HiFiHawaii808 @Frankie D @RTodd @Sifo @Rockwell75 @twister6 @wazzupi @Natesdailies @Skyediver

Post-show IEM sesh.

Enjoying the local culture.

Forming friendships and sharing fellowship-- the true value of CanJam.

Was an epic show. I'll be experiencing some post-partum CanJam depression for the next few days I'm sure.
Amazing post @Rockwell75. You've definitely captured the essence of CJ, meeting other passionate audio enthusiasts and enjoying some good conversations with food and drink! I shall make my way to a CJ at some point for this very reason.

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #50,241 of 89,271
The difference between electric and acoustic instruments is? I guess electric ones have much high and low reach than acoustic?
I think a big part of the difference is speed, or decay, when a string vibrates freely in open air (such as on a guitar) if untouched the frequency wave will reverberate unchanged at a volume level that decreases over time, comparing this to a electronically generated sound that decay of the volume is no longer confined to the natural laws of physics but rather up to an input to the software, allowing it to be changed faster or slower than acoustically generated sounds. If a driver cannot change its volume level as quickly as the electronically recorded frequencies do, the set will not reproduce that correctly, though in some forms of electronic music where speed of decay is slow it will still work fine. Likewise a driver that cannot change volume as slowly as acoustic instruments do naturally will not sound correct for music recorded by acoustic instruments.

Feb 27, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #50,242 of 89,271
I think a big part of the difference is speed, or decay, when a string vibrates freely in open air (such as on a guitar) if untouched the frequency wave will reverberate unchanged at a volume level that decreases over time, comparing this to a electronically generated sound that decay of the volume is no longer confined to the natural laws of physics but rather up to an input to the software, allowing it to be changed faster or slower than acoustically generated sounds. If a driver cannot change its volume level as quickly as the electronically recorded frequencies do, the set will not reproduce that correctly, though in some forms of electronic music where speed of decay is slow it will still work fine. Likewise a driver that cannot change volume as slowly as acoustic instruments do naturally will not sound correct for music recorded by acoustic instruments.
Electrical instruments also work according to the laws of physics, otherwise they would not work at all.

There might be huge differences or none at all, depending on the sound that is produced and then reproduced.

There is no difference in the end, it's all wobbly air.

Feb 27, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #50,243 of 89,271
Electrical instruments also work according to the laws of physics, otherwise they would not work at all.

There might be huge differences or none at all, depending on the sound that is produced and then reproduced.

There is no difference in the end, it's all wobbly air.
Software is not in air, but yep once it is delivered to our ears it is waves in air. Likewise when the electronic music is being created very likely the performer of it is using their ears to hear what they are doing, not really the point. A guitar has a sound, if I take that guitar like many performers have and input that signal into a computer I can make that guitar almost unrecognizable as a guitar. I am not trying to describe where that shade of grey is between acoustic and electronic.

At the same time when I hear genre specific I get a little annoyed because genres are blurred across them as is a clear boundary between E and A music. Hey who cares anyway, what the prior conversation was trying to highlight was EDM driving preferences, and I was trying to open it up to allow a broader take as these arbitrary buckets we put the music we love in are cloudy at best. Can any of us say I like everything ever recorded in a particular genre, fairly sure I cannot say that.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #50,244 of 89,271
@Rockwell75 NY CJ post is the closest thing to actually experiencing it for those away like me. Such a great coverage, I'm thankful for the share. Sounds like a memorable fun time! :)

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #50,245 of 89,271
Thank you Andrew @MusicTeck! I have acquired all 3 of the IEMs that resonated with me. I auditioned all 3 of these IEMs at your booth last year at CanJam SoCal! Very pleased with the outstanding Customer Service. All I need is a new DAP and a new pair of Closed Back Headphones and I'm set! Hopefully, I'll find all of that this weekend. 😃👑😃💸💸💸💸 My wife is going to kill me!

Mentor strikes again. :goat:

Congrats on the splurge. Looking forward to hearing more thoughts on Mentor. :)

On a side note...I spot two coolers making a cameo in the CanJam NYC YT fly through video :)

1677508017722.png

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #50,246 of 89,271
Yeah nobody in my day to day life knows or cares about audio/IEMs at all. It's so nice to go to an event where we an share the love and conversation in person. Was great to meet you.

It was truly a pleasure seeing everybody at the show!!! Some of you guys I met for the first time face-to-face, others was nice to see again! Some I didn't get a chance to talk to outside of our group picture, but hopefully next CanJam!!!

One thing I do want to add relative to your post above. I had a lot of people pinging me now about CanJam impressions thread where we have close to 500 posts and only a few related to IEMs, of course, with Jeff's being a front-page worthy report. It was a big show, but the split between iems and headphones/desktop was heavily biased toward the latter one. Yes, we had Musicteck with its massive collection of portable audio gear and Bloom with 50/50 split, and a handful of manufacturers such as Empire, 64Audio, JOMO, and Noble who are always at NYC shows, VE and FirAudio making their NYC show debut, Elysian Audio represented by EA, Letshouer, and also ThieAudio (no offense, but felt like stand-in people at that table), oh and Senns had a small side table just for IE200/600/900 auditioning. Next month, CanJam SGP going to be the polar opposite with IEM and cable manufacturers dominating the show :D

Overall, Watercooler circle-of-friends at CanJam NYC show felt like home to me! Just like we have our own close community here within Head-fi forum, it felt the same way at the show where we had our own mini-show talking about portable gear :) You guys ROCK!!!

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #50,247 of 89,271
Mentor strikes again. :goat:

Congrats on the splurge. Looking forward to hearing more thoughts on Mentor. :)

On a side note...I spot two coolers making a cameo in the CanJam NYC YT fly through video :)

1677508017722.png

It's like Where's Waldo search :) Just spotted me talking to Andrew/MT

1677510658739.png

Feb 27, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #50,248 of 89,271
Cross-posted to the CanJam thread. My show report-- some of this has already been posted here so apologies in advance for that.

What a spectacular show! I'm sitting here in my room at the Marriot completely exhausted but simultaneously overwhelmed with the excitement and emotion of the previous two days trying to gather my thoughts into words. This was only my second CanJam but I can already see how each succesive experience becomes richer due to all the connections made and fellowship with all involved. I'm exceedingly grateful for everyone who made the last two days happen.

Compared to SoCal CanJam NYC was a vastly different experience in many ways due to the sheer excitement of the venue. Anaheim has its charm but what can compare with the bustle and energy of Times Square New York-- it's positively exhilarating to be here and this just added to the excitement and atmosphere of the show.

A couple caveats before getting going:

1) My interest is primarily IEMs so that is where I spent pretty much all of my time. I did get to hear a couple very hice headphones though-- more on that later.

2) When I talk about "in show highlights" and rankings I will confine myself to IEMs/sources that I heard for the first time this weekend, so stuff like the Trifecta, Annihilator and FatFreq Maestro SE won't factor into my rankings here.

3) As people who know me from the Watercooler thread probably already know my preference leans strongly towards musicality and DD driven sets. YMMV and all that.

4) As epic and wonderful as CanJam is the underlying excitement of the show and rapid fire pace of the demos make the conditions less than ideal to get comprehensive fully rounded impressions. Take everything with an appropriate grain of salt.

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 is the new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was something of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is exactly what they were going for. it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Washington (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Washington came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

2) Subtonic Storm

This artisan IEM from boutique Singaporean IEM company Subtonic caught me by surprise in a very good way. The Storm has been much discussed in my audio circles lately and given that it's marketed as the "ultimate reference IEM" I went in expecting that I would appreciate it but that it wouldn't really be my thing since I don't really go for purely reference sets and I love my DDs. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Superb technicalities, coherence and balance. I didn't want to take it out of my ears and kept looking for more songs to try...which is possibly the highest complement I can pay an IEM. A little plain at first but it is beguiling over time with the depth of sonic tapestry that it reveals. The passion of its makers comes out in the listening experience. Great BA bass but it's definitely BA bass. The quality of the bass is something that sets it above the similarly configured Traillii to my ears. People who took issue with the Bird's bass response will find a lot to love here.

3) Vision Ears' "pink" prototype

VE had two prototypes with undisclosed driver configurations, one being pink and the other blue. Both had their charms but the pink model-- which clearly had a DD in it-- positively took my breath away. Similar gestalt as the VE8-- rich seductive mids-- but with some of the most epic DD bass I've ever heard. Incredible bass response that manifested with a thunderous gutteral rumble. Perfect balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. This IEM leaned a touch dark but highs were refined, luscious and sweet, and the imaging superb. Many of us have been craving an IEM with VE's peerless mids and a bit of an indulgant not-qute-basshead-but-leaning-there bass response. This ticked that box and some. I really hope this one goes into production as I will be all over it.

Some other highlights and notables...

Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

Massive and holographic with superb imaging-- very clean and precise. Bass is not dominant but it never has been in any Solaris. I don't get any of the "metallic timbre" suggested by the Audio 46 review. This has a bit of an aggressive "in your face presentation" that is characteristic of CFA IEMs. A great IEM and definitely a step up from the 2020. Better mids than the OG and better treble than the SE...tempted to consider this a "best of all worlds" Solaris. If nothing else the Stellar Horizon preserves much of the spirit of earlier models and addresses most if not all of the criticisms-- fans of previous Solari will find lots to love here. To me this new model is exactly what you'd expect if you took two of Trifecta's DDs and swapped in (4?) BAs-- you lose the full bodied analogue coherence, keep the 3d holographic stage and add a hefty dose of top end sparkle, resolution and clarity. I went back and heard the Solaris a few times and it really is fantastic. I prefer this Solaris to both Ragnar (too much top end energy for me) and Blanc.

Vision Ears Phonix LE

The Phonix LE is a knockout. I got to hear the storied Erlkonig finally this weekend and preferred its more transparent sound to that of the OG Phonix. The Phonix LE closer in sound to the Erlky to my ears. This is possibly my favorite BA set of all time. Classic VE midrange romance and excellence.

Noble Ronin

The Noble Ronin was also excellent, though for me as a BA set it falls in the towering shadow of the Phonix LE...mostly because I just jive with VE's tuning compared to Nobles which tends to lean a little brighter as a rule.

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

I managed a demo of @wazzupi's Viking Damascus and it was simply excellent. Greater perceived bass impact and presence than the Ragnar, which comes off a little bright and fatiguing to me.

@Chang, a rep from Subtonic, had a few prototype projects of his own that he is working on and this single DD, soon to be released as the "Singularity" is positively excellent. Great bass reponse and full spectrum detail and clarity. I'll definitely be buying one of these and will certainly be keeping up with (and hopefully putting on tour) some of his IEMs.

L -R: LP6, P6 Pro, Cayin N7

Old news in many respects but I finally got to hear the Luxury & Precision LP6 and P6 Pro and both are hands down two of the nicest sources I've ever heard. LP6 in particular is so much better sounding than anything-- so full bodied and muscular yet transparent, detailed and technical at the same time. The LP6 just puts out a sound that flows over you like a blissful analogue river. I quite like the new Cayin. It's a bit of a chunk but it's got a nice R2R character and isn't as bright (or, conversely, as revealing) as the n8ii...which works very well for my tastes. On that note all 3 DAPs above have a similar character to my ears. The P6 Pro is more transparent and not as full bodied as the other 2. The N7 is something of a baby LP6 with a better UI. LP6 still wins for sound but N7 is damn good for like 1/3 the price and more functionality.

On that note...

Trifecta + LP6 is currently my personal high bar benchmark for IEM excellence right now-- full bodied analogue perfection.

The one and only Oenaryo Traillii

I finally got to hear the legendary black and red bird. Same Traillii greatness but I think the Bird may have been finally been eclipsed by the Storm for me. Great involving tuning in both cases but the Storm's bass response pulls it ahead imho.

UM MEST Mkiii

The MEST III may be my favorite MEST-- I think UM finally nailed natural sounding mids in their MEST line here.

FatFreq Grand Maestro

I was pleased to check out the Fatfreq Grand Maestro at the Musicteck table. A more refined-in-the-mids and less bass dominant presentation than the the Maestro Mini or the SE. Possibly the best "all rounder" of the Fafreq lineup.

A couple disappointments...
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea

Surprisingly the new Andromeda was a ilttle "meh" for me. I think they're trying to make it sound a little like the analogue Trifecta-- which imho just doesn't work with BAs. I think it's even darker than the 2020 and lacks a bit of the transparency and clarity I love from that model and the top end sparkle of (what is still) my favorite incarnation of the Andromeda-- the OG. Also for only a bit more you can get the Elysian Diva which absolutely blows this Andro out of the water.

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

This one didn't do much for me-- feels kind of 2-d, a little veiled and with blunted treble coming from the Solaris, which I much preferred and which is $1000 cheaper.

Off the beaten path...

I got to hear this magnificent setup. Unfortunately the open design combined with the very busy loud and crowded room in which I was listening made the demo less than ideal. Also I think fundamentally am not really a headphone guy-- I'm to used to the "nudged right up to your brain" intimacy that IEMs give.

The new Jomo prototype. Nice in-offensive tuning. Great bass. Mids were a touch recessed and vocals sounded a little glossy or something to me.

Other highlights...

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting via email set to that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

Was nice to finally meet the one and only @twister6.

Love these group photos with Watercooler legends. Much gratitude to @HiFiHawaii808 for the nametags.

Pictured (L-R): @goldwerger @Zachik @HiFiHawaii808 @Frankie D @RTodd @Sifo @Rockwell75 @twister6 @wazzupi @Natesdailies @Skyediver

Post-show IEM sesh.

Enjoying the local culture.

Forming friendships and sharing fellowship-- the true value of CanJam.

Was an epic show. I'll be experiencing some post-partum CanJam depression for the next few days I'm sure.

Awesome Post Jeff! This post and the pics made me smile while reading this! Despite all the wonderful IEMs at Canjam NYC, I'm so glad to see the coolers gathered once again with new faces this time around! The pictures just radiate priceless moments between y'all! Hope you all had an awesome time!

Can't wait for SG CanJam in less than a month!

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #50,249 of 89,271
Curious what other's thoughts were on the Trifecta from the show. Know it wasn't for everyone, but I got to hear it at the Bloom booth and although I felt like it couldn't quite handle multilayered orchestra stuff, it stood out to me as a really distinct, unique sound signature in a sea of stuff that seemed to tweak existing styles to various degrees.

I'm sure you're well aware of my thoughts here. I spent a good deal of time in the Bloom room demoing Andro/Solaris a few times. I talked to a few people who listened to Trifecta and impressions were on the whole very positive, from "good but not my thing" to "holy balls this is the best thing ever I'm buying one" in at least one instance. As others have said a lot depends on your library and preferences. At the end of the day though as you mention one thing Trifecta has going for it is that it is utterly unique-- most IEMs are variations on a theme but there isn't really anything out there that sets out to do what Trifecta does in the way that it does it. FWIW the Trifecta + LP6 is my current benchmark for IEM bliss. YMMV and all that.

Did anyone at CanJam try the Grand Maestro and have any thoughts compared to Maestro SE...? My obsession with Maestro SE is strong, now I'm getting curious about the Grand.

Not sure if you read the two Iines I put down about it in my impressions post but to my ears it's a more balanced "reference type" sound from Fatfreq-- nowhere near as bass dominant as their other models and consequently probably a better all rounder. It has a switch on it which you can use to skew the sound slightly up or down the FR.

I don't think I can ever switch from iems to full size headphones.

Same I listened to two great headphones that were collectively worth like $30K and my main takeaway is that I'm so used to the intimacy and directness you get from IEMs that I have a very hard time adapting to and enjoying headphones even when they're objectively top tier.

I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that the current FOTMs are HEAVILY biased towards EDM/electronic playlists. Mentor, Xe6, Maestro SE...all being 'hyped' based on their EDM acumen - which is not to say they're not great with other genres, but if EDM/electronic is not your jam, these may not be chart toppers for you. "YMMV and all that." -- Jeff R.

Preach brother!

Also I'm not sure who was asking but I heard the new Anni and it sounded great...but I don't think sustantially different or any different than the 2021 version that I owned.

B164A9D1-8786-4AC9-8864-E0C0A2C7F558.JPEG

A few other random shots.

A-B-C

F8C03A4E-B036-4D10-95C4-58E83F281166.JPEG

IMG_4553 2.JPG

Finally got to try the Sultan. A little too much top end energy for me.

Odyssey
IMG_4584.JPG

Classics
99B8FEE6-6EE8-45BF-A955-02945D77809F.JPEG

Downtown vibes
IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

I got to enjoy a nice Japanese meal.

IMG_4600.JPG

Stood in line for an hour at a food truck...classic NYC.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #50,250 of 89,271
@Rockwell75 epic impressions/pictures on what looked to be an amazing CanJam weekend! Thanks for bringing those of us who couldn't make it in person along for the ride. The atmosphere of the show and the comradery and fellowship of the Head-Fi / Watercooler community is palpable through your posts and pictures!

If you (and others that attended) had to do a post-CanJam "what's on my radar" now, does it differ from what was top of mind going into it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back