The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #50,251 of 89,288
During Canjam Day 2, I revisited some IEMs that I liked.

Subtonic Storm
Screenshot_20230227-054317_Gallery.jpg

First day: The fit was great, one of the better ones for me during the show. I also liked the deep recessed female 2 pin slots on the shell. This is one of the things I grew to appreciate on the Traillii shell as well. Sonics: I didnt like the way the stock combo sounded with SP3K. Both Storm and SP3K are conservatively tuned. This made it sound even more flat. After using various tips to get a deeper insertion, it lifted some of that veil as well as getting a better sub bass response. I liked it more with @Chang Fiio Q7. It sounded cleaner.

AA747AD6-FDAA-4B0C-B61E-A4D7725F2E92.jpeg

Storm is a highly resolving reference tuned set. This is one of the best BA bass I have heard. It's also the type of sound that is a sleeper hit. It got better the longer I listened. Unlike XE6 or Radon 6 that makes a statement right away, Storm is reserved in that respect. Every now and then I would recall what I heard and realize how much detail was reveiled in a track. The staging I found was on the smaller more intimate side (both height and width) compared to Mentor or XE6. The height especially seemed shorter. It reminded me of Turii Tis stage. I was a fan of the bass and the transition to the mids. A problem I ran into was the highs. During calm vocal tracks, I was getting peaks. An example was during the S" on "The House of the Rising Sun".

I replaced the Mira 4 with PW Orpheus and it cut that energy down.
D9A3A8EE-4B80-44E8-A0B6-881A147AE6C4.jpeg

Orphy injected some warmth. Staging got more expansive, vocals sounded richer and it took the resolution up another notch.

Second day: I tried the same combo and confirmed my first day findings.

Noble Viking
Screenshot_20230227-072913_Gallery.jpg

This is @wazzupi full damascus version. Definitely one of the best looking iems I have seen next to Indigo. I like that the damascus pattern extends throughout the whole shell. The embedded Noble logo on the faceplate gives it a regal, elegant appearance. This has the same tuning as the Ragnar. It paired quite well with SP3K which smoothed out some of the treble for me. Similar to Storm I liked it even more with the Orpheus.

Screenshot_20230227-072919_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230227-074124_Gallery.jpg

The fit was decent similar to the Viking Ragnar.

This combo was quite epic. Huge enveloping staging and instruments were well separated, great resolution. The SP3K and Orphy however didnt reduce enough of the treble to make it viable for me to use for EDM. It sounded fantastic for classical. This is one the most resolving sets out there. The recently released Noble Ronin goes for a different tuning. Its musical up Mentor / Traillii alley.

Noble Ronin Vs Mentor

Screenshot_20230227-075001_Gallery.jpg

Fit: Ronin 6/10 (large), Mentor 8.5/10

I used Phantom of The Opera to test timbre, Armin Van Buuren to test electronic, technicalities and dynamics with Tchaikovskys Valse Sentimale.

After hearing the Ronin both days and AB testing it against the Mentor I found that it is competes with technicalities. Ronin in some ways reminds me of the Traillii (also running BA EST config). It has great vocals, but better bass. I also found the highs to extend more. Between Mentor and Ronin I found it quite close. These are both great.

Female vocals: Ronin
Male vocals: Mentor
Bass: Ronin
Mids: Ronin
Treble: Mentor
Acoustic Timbre: Ronin
Electronic: Mentor

These can both do vocals well. I found Ronin to have better balanced timbre for female vocals. With Mentor depending on the track the mid treble pushes the S' of vocals where the Ronin was smoother. Ronin would be my choice for vocals / classical / Jazz and Mentor would be my choice for electronic, rock, metalcore. Ronin sounds fuller, warmer slightly relaxed highs, Mentor has next level imaging and more extended highs.

Jomo Alpha Ti vs Mentor
Screenshot_20230227-080304_Gallery.jpg

Fit: Alpha Ti 9/10, Mentor 8.5/10. The jomo is also quite light.

804F79E5-25E2-4548-A791-A1A3980A890F.jpeg

These are quite different tunings. The Alpha Ti has a smoother more analog tonality. I would equate its resolution near XE6 but without the treble sparkle. In comparison the highs seems rolled off. Mentor goes for a vivid, more immersive presentation with more air to strings and sparkle with the xylephone. Alpha TI has satisfying DD bass. I found it to sound best with slow music. Alpha ti slams more while Mentor had more resolution. Alpha tis stage height and depth was smaller compared to Mentor. My choice in most categories was Mentor.

Xe6 vs Radon 6
Screenshot_20230227-080326_Gallery.jpg

Fit: Both 9/10 while RN6 was lighter.

These are both amazing iems. The RN6 shell reminds of a minature Elysian X shell with the gold flakes on the faceplate. I believe this is a 5 year limited edition and it will not be coming out with a custom.

I compared the two using silver modules and the same tips (Deep Mount Radius). Radnon 6 to me sounds like a restrained XE6. There is a bit more sub bass, mid bass reduction (around 20%). Radon 6 still felt like a warm IEM overall. XE6 had more slam, more powerful macro dynamics while the Radon 6 sounded more linear. While I liked Radon 6, I didnt feel the tuning changes warrants owning both. A KR5 would be more complimentary for me if I were to own another Fir.

Attachments

• 5872599F-3D7D-4CE2-A8BE-169DE6900950.jpeg
    5872599F-3D7D-4CE2-A8BE-169DE6900950.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 804F79E5-25E2-4548-A791-A1A3980A890F.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #50,252 of 89,288
Great impressions from CanJam NYC @attendees!!

@Coolers who are/were able to compare Annihilator with VE EXT - what would be your verdict about this comparison? Both are in my focus currently as my next IEMs. I would love to achieve:

- outstanding treble you can "feel"
- great mids, ideally natural but can also be a little emphasized or relaxed (low priority but shouldn't be off)
- at least very good Sub-bass
- neutral(ish) mid-bass
- great soundstage
- great fit (had issues with the EXT. Will be getting the demo unit again with different tips)

What do you think?

According to the graph the EXT have even more treble energy than the Anni, but graphs can fool you...

1677517457964.png

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #50,253 of 89,288
Did anyone try the Custom Art IEMS at the NYC CJ?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #50,254 of 89,288

@Coolers who are/were able to compare Annihilator with VE EXT - what would be your verdict about this comparison? Both are in my focus currently as my next IEMs. I would love to achieve:

- great mids, ideally natural but can also be a little emphasized or relaxed (low priority but shouldn't be off)
- neutral(ish) mid-bass
- great soundstage
- great fit (had issues with the EXT. Will be getting the demo unit again with different tips)

What do you think?

According to the graph the EXT have even more treble energy than the Anni, but graphs can fool you...

1677517457964.png

EXT does have more treble energy and warmer mids. But youre looking at the wrong Annihilator graph. You need to look at 2021 and onwards, not pre 2021.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #50,255 of 89,288
LOAK T(CL) Bocote inda house🎉

DF1A80EE-1E07-400C-A194-4BE07CADE8B9.jpeg
0712BB71-C6E8-4AF3-8612-11711F630387.jpeg
5A7FCD0A-8756-4ADD-9AC4-605D09598F1C.jpeg
E83CCC0C-5FCB-4CD4-B680-2F3952E22DEB.jpeg
98526738-6CF3-4522-B260-9214C849AFDD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8BEDDD12-F394-4352-9DBB-D0CC9330CCB4.jpeg
    8BEDDD12-F394-4352-9DBB-D0CC9330CCB4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 6742B322-60CA-4F78-A237-BAC05F50870F.jpeg
    6742B322-60CA-4F78-A237-BAC05F50870F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 215BA17A-61A9-4B9E-9C9E-A469DAD3F12F.jpeg
    215BA17A-61A9-4B9E-9C9E-A469DAD3F12F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • A4F44CDC-65C1-4C48-A9B8-2BA8BE0A89E7.jpeg
    A4F44CDC-65C1-4C48-A9B8-2BA8BE0A89E7.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1E0F1C06-E3C7-4017-81FF-FC270CEC8F33.jpeg
    1E0F1C06-E3C7-4017-81FF-FC270CEC8F33.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #50,257 of 89,288
During Canjam Day 2, I revisited some IEMs that I liked.

Subtonic StormScreenshot_20230227-054317_Gallery.jpg

First day: The fit was great, one of the better ones for me during the show. I also liked the deep recessed female 2 pin slots on the shell. This is one of the things I grew to appreciate on the Traillii shell as well. Sonics: I didnt like the way the stock combo sounded with SP3K. Both Storm and SP3K are conservatively tuned. This made it sound even more flat. After using various tips to get a deeper insertion, it lifted some of that veil as well as getting a better sub bass response. I liked it more with @Chang Fiio Q7. It sounded cleaner.

AA747AD6-FDAA-4B0C-B61E-A4D7725F2E92.jpeg

Storm is a highly resolving reference tuned set. This is one of the best BA bass I have heard. It's also the type of sound that is a sleeper hit. It got better the longer I listened. Unlike XE6 or Radon 6 that makes a statement right away, Storm is reserved in that respect. Every now and then I would recall what I heard and realize how much detail was reveiled in a track. The staging I found was on the smaller more intimate side (both height and width) compared to Mentor or XE6. The height especially seemed shorter. It reminded me of Turii Tis stage. I was a fan of the bass and the transition to the mids. A problem I ran into was the highs. During calm vocal tracks, I was getting peaks. An example was during the S" on "The House of the Rising Sun".

I replaced the Mira 4 with PW Orpheus and it cut that energy down.
D9A3A8EE-4B80-44E8-A0B6-881A147AE6C4.jpeg

Orphy injected some warmth. Staging got more expansive, vocals sounded richer and it took the resolution up another notch.

Second day: I tried the same combo and confirmed my first day findings.

Noble Viking
Screenshot_20230227-072913_Gallery.jpg

This is @wazzupi full damascus version. Definitely one of the best looking iems I have seen next to Indigo. I like that the damascus pattern extends throughout the whole shell. The embedded Noble logo on the faceplate gives it a regal, elegant appearance. This has the same tuning as the Ragnar. It paired quite well with SP3K which smoothed out some of the treble for me. Similar to Storm I liked it even more with the Orpheus.

Screenshot_20230227-072919_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230227-074124_Gallery.jpg
The fit was decent similar to the Viking Ragnar.

This combo was quite epic. Huge enveloping staging and instruments were well separated, great resolution. The SP3K and Orphy however didnt reduce enough of the treble to make it viable for me to use for EDM. It sounded fantastic for classical. This is one the most resolving sets out there. The recently released Noble Ronin goes for a different tuning. Its musical up Mentor / Traillii alley.

Noble Ronin Vs Mentor

Screenshot_20230227-075001_Gallery.jpg
Fit: Ronin 6/10 (large), Mentor 8.5/10

I used Phantom of The Opera to test timbre, Armin Van Buuren to test electronic, technicalities and dynamics with Tchaikovskys Valse Sentimale.

After hearing the Ronin both days and AB testing it against the Mentor I found that it is competes with technicalities. Ronin in some ways reminds me of the Traillii (also running BA EST config). It has great vocals, but better bass. I also found the highs to extend more. Between Mentor and Ronin I found it quite close. These are both great.

Female vocals: Ronin
Male vocals: Mentor
Bass: Ronin
Mids: Ronin
Treble: Mentor
Acoustic Timbre: Ronin
Electronic: Mentor

These can both do vocals well. I found Ronin to have better balanced timbre for female vocals. With Mentor depending on the track the mid treble pushes the S' of vocals where the Ronin was smoother. Ronin would be my choice for vocals / classical / Jazz and Mentor would be my choice for electronic, rock, metalcore. Ronin sounds fuller, warmer slightly relaxed highs, Mentor has next level imaging and more extended highs.

Jomo Alpha Ti vs Mentor
Screenshot_20230227-080304_Gallery.jpg
Fit: Alpha Ti 9/10, Mentor 8.5/10. The jomo is also quite light.

These are quite different tunings. The Alpha Ti has a smoother more analog tonality. I would equate its resolution near XE6 but without the treble sparkle. In comparison the highs seems rolled off. Mentor goes for a vivid, more immersive presentation with more air to strings and sparkle with the xylephone. Alpha TI has satisfying DD bass. I found it to sound best with slow music. Alpha ti slams more while Mentor had more resolution. Alpha tis stage height and depth was smaller compared to Mentor. My choice in most categories was Mentor.

Xe6 vs Radon 6
Screenshot_20230227-080326_Gallery.jpg
Fit: Both 9/10 while RN6 was lighter.

These are both amazing iems. The RN6 shell reminds of a minature Elysian X shell with the gold flakes on the faceplate. I believe this is a 5 year limited edition and it will not be coming out with a custom.

I compared the two using silver modules and the same tips (Deep Mount Radius). Radnon 6 to me sounds like a restrained XE6. There is a bit more sub bass, mid bass reduction (around 20%). Radon 6 still felt like a warm IEM overall. XE6 had more slam, more powerful macro dynamics while the Radon 6 sounded more linear. While I liked Radon 6, I didnt feel the tuning changes warrants owning both. A KR5 would be more complimentary for me if I were to own another Fir.

Awesome mate! Great impressions. Kinda curious what vol you were on with Storm/SP3k - that thing was barely keeping up when i listened to it and i know you listen louder!

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #50,258 of 89,288
I think that acoustic music can allow us to hear how a known quantity (acoustic instruments) is portrayed. I play jazz double bass for a living. I have recorded on Grammy winning recordings (for engineering) as well as recordings that were on the Stereophile cd's to die for. The only reason I mention this is that the quality of the recordings rendering of various acoustic instruments( voice included) are top notch. There is one track that is just bass and voice. It is often used in demonstrating stereo gear. I know what my bass sounds like. I know what the voices sounds like, as well as cymbals. I'm an eq guy. But you can eq to your hearts content and still not address some basic things. For bass---what I call the"note envelope" is of critical importance. With double bass(and every other instrument) there are components to each note. Initial attack, how the note"swells" or the bloom of the note, and most importantly, the decay. With my bass, I know exactly how this occurs.
I listen to many different kinds of music, including electronic. But----for me----my calibration is with acoustic instruments. I know the various qualities of timbre and " note envelope" of the various instruments. It's the level playing field. If the note envelope is artificially created---as in electronic music--- you don't know if, let's say, a bass note is supposed to have a soft, diffuse attack-- or delay. If you are using that track to evaluate bass response---you could say that it doesn't have a tight response and has to much note hangover. But maybe that was the intent.

What I'm saying is that with electronic music, the various qualities of the instruments is artificially constructed. It's a moving playing field from recording to recording.
I agree it's all up to whether you enjoy the music and if it resonates with you.
Even with electric instruments, there are similar qualities to acoustic. Can I hear the difference between a Fender Jazz Bass or a Precision bass? Can I hear the differences between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul? Or---can I tell the difference between Stevie Ray Vaughn's Strat or Robert Cray's?These still are quantifiable differences.
For instance---i use EE Evo's. I love them. Everyone says how great the Evo's bass is. It sucks. Unless severely eq'd. Which I do. I get it calibrated so it's accurate reproducing known quantities. If someone says something is a"bass monster" or a"detail monster" i'd go running. Well not really-----i use a studio grade eq. I had the Hifiman 1000 se. A detail monster. With lots of eq---- I loved them. Without-----i painful experience.
Ok----off my high horse. As long as you dig the music---all is good.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #50,259 of 89,288
I don't think I can ever switch from iems to full size headphones. Of course, just a personal opinion and not a personal ignorance since I have been reviewing portable audio (iems and daps) for many years. But most of the times when people are discussing higher end headphones, I keep reading "it sounds horrible with A, B, C desktop setups" but "it shines with X, Y, Z desktop setups". So it becomes an equation heavily dependent on two of these variables, desktop dac/amp and headphones (either open or close). When it comes to IEMs, pair up synergy is important and can fine tune the sound, but it is less drastic in comparison to headphones and desktop sources. As an example, I tried highly regarded Focal Stellia at CanJam in Bloom's room, connected it directly to my LPGT, and found it to sound completely lifeless, and I mean really bad. People next to me were just rolling their eyes because I should have been using it with Burson amps :)
Theoretically, two channel speaker systems > full size headphones > IEMs in term of performance. However, as you mentioned, speaker system require room treatment, headphones require appropriate amps, but more importantly, in modern days, nothing can trade with mobility: you bring your entire system with you.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #50,260 of 89,288
Got it - tnx... Probably means that if you listen to for instance female vocals with strings it might come across as being too bright because there's no compensation. Duly noted.

drftr
I did find the Ragnar a bit too bright. On some female vocals the timbre and bloom did sound right to me. Still a good IEM overall though. I liked the Kublai Khan better and the new one as well.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #50,261 of 89,288
Cross-posted to the CanJam thread. My show report-- some of this has already been posted here so apologies in advance for that.

What a spectacular show! I'm sitting here in my room at the Marriot completely exhausted but simultaneously overwhelmed with the excitement and emotion of the previous two days trying to gather my thoughts into words. This was only my second CanJam but I can already see how each succesive experience becomes richer due to all the connections made and fellowship with all involved. I'm exceedingly grateful for everyone who made the last two days happen.

Compared to SoCal CanJam NYC was a vastly different experience in many ways due to the sheer excitement of the venue. Anaheim has its charm but what can compare with the bustle and energy of Times Square New York-- it's positively exhilarating to be here and this just added to the excitement and atmosphere of the show.

A couple caveats before getting going:

1) My interest is primarily IEMs so that is where I spent pretty much all of my time. I did get to hear a couple very hice headphones though-- more on that later.

2) When I talk about "in show highlights" and rankings I will confine myself to IEMs/sources that I heard for the first time this weekend, so stuff like the Trifecta, Annihilator and FatFreq Maestro SE won't factor into my rankings here.

3) As people who know me from the Watercooler thread probably already know my preference leans strongly towards musicality and DD driven sets. YMMV and all that.

4) As epic and wonderful as CanJam is the underlying excitement of the show and rapid fire pace of the demos make the conditions less than ideal to get comprehensive fully rounded impressions. Take everything with an appropriate grain of salt.

Top 3 IEMs of the Show

In no particular order:

1) Fir Audio Radon 6

This was one of the show stoppers for me. Radon 6 is the new IEM from Fir Audio which will be a limited batch of 300 released sometime within the next couple weeks. It's got the same driver config as the Xe6 and to me it's best understood as almost an evolute of the best of the Fronier Series. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was something of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is exactly what they were going for. it's got the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 and the lush & detailed top end of the Xe6-- with a more balanced bass response (quantity wise, it's still the same great quality) than both. With the (stock) silver module it was a bit light on bass for me but with the red module (pictured above) it was "chef's kiss". I listened to this multiple times over the two days and was more taken with it each time. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

It was really nice to meet Vlad and Bogdan-- two visionaries in this hobby who are always pushing boundaries and trying new things. I really enjoyed talking to Vlad, who gave me a history lesson. I grew up in Vancouver BC and always assumed that we were the OG Vancouver and that Vancouver, Washington (where Fir is based) came later. Vlad explained to me that Vancouver Washington came first and it not ideally situated as a political centre caused the British to move on and later establish the Vancouver I know and love.

2) Subtonic Storm

This artisan IEM from boutique Singaporean IEM company Subtonic caught me by surprise in a very good way. The Storm has been much discussed in my audio circles lately and given that it's marketed as the "ultimate reference IEM" I went in expecting that I would appreciate it but that it wouldn't really be my thing since I don't really go for purely reference sets and I love my DDs. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Superb technicalities, coherence and balance. I didn't want to take it out of my ears and kept looking for more songs to try...which is possibly the highest complement I can pay an IEM. A little plain at first but it is beguiling over time with the depth of sonic tapestry that it reveals. The passion of its makers comes out in the listening experience. Great BA bass but it's definitely BA bass. The quality of the bass is something that sets it above the similarly configured Traillii to my ears. People who took issue with the Bird's bass response will find a lot to love here.

3) Vision Ears' "pink" prototype

VE had two prototypes with undisclosed driver configurations, one being pink and the other blue. Both had their charms but the pink model-- which clearly had a DD in it-- positively took my breath away. Similar gestalt as the VE8-- rich seductive mids-- but with some of the most epic DD bass I've ever heard. Incredible bass response that manifested with a thunderous gutteral rumble. Perfect balance between mid-bass and sub-bass. This IEM leaned a touch dark but highs were refined, luscious and sweet, and the imaging superb. Many of us have been craving an IEM with VE's peerless mids and a bit of an indulgant not-qute-basshead-but-leaning-there bass response. This ticked that box and some. I really hope this one goes into production as I will be all over it.

Some other highlights and notables...

Campfire Audio Solaris Stellar Horizon

Massive and holographic with superb imaging-- very clean and precise. Bass is not dominant but it never has been in any Solaris. I don't get any of the "metallic timbre" suggested by the Audio 46 review. This has a bit of an aggressive "in your face presentation" that is characteristic of CFA IEMs. A great IEM and definitely a step up from the 2020. Better mids than the OG and better treble than the SE...tempted to consider this a "best of all worlds" Solaris. If nothing else the Stellar Horizon preserves much of the spirit of earlier models and addresses most if not all of the criticisms-- fans of previous Solari will find lots to love here. To me this new model is exactly what you'd expect if you took two of Trifecta's DDs and swapped in (4?) BAs-- you lose the full bodied analogue coherence, keep the 3d holographic stage and add a hefty dose of top end sparkle, resolution and clarity. I went back and heard the Solaris a few times and it really is fantastic. I prefer this Solaris to both Ragnar (too much top end energy for me) and Blanc.

Vision Ears Phonix LE

The Phonix LE is a knockout. I got to hear the storied Erlkonig finally this weekend and preferred its more transparent sound to that of the OG Phonix. The Phonix LE closer in sound to the Erlky to my ears. This is possibly my favorite BA set of all time. Classic VE midrange romance and excellence.

Noble Ronin

The Noble Ronin was also excellent, though for me as a BA set it falls in the towering shadow of the Phonix LE...mostly because I just jive with VE's tuning compared to Nobles which tends to lean a little brighter as a rule.

All of that said...

Noble Viking Damascus

I managed a demo of @wazzupi's Viking Damascus and it was simply excellent. Greater perceived bass impact and presence than the Ragnar, which comes off a little bright and fatiguing to me.

@Chang, a rep from Subtonic, had a few prototype projects of his own that he is working on and this single DD, soon to be released as the "Singularity" is positively excellent. Great bass reponse and full spectrum detail and clarity. I'll definitely be buying one of these and will certainly be keeping up with (and hopefully putting on tour) some of his IEMs.

L -R: LP6, P6 Pro, Cayin N7

Old news in many respects but I finally got to hear the Luxury & Precision LP6 and P6 Pro and both are hands down two of the nicest sources I've ever heard. LP6 in particular is so much better sounding than anything-- so full bodied and muscular yet transparent, detailed and technical at the same time. The LP6 just puts out a sound that flows over you like a blissful analogue river. I quite like the new Cayin. It's a bit of a chunk but it's got a nice R2R character and isn't as bright (or, conversely, as revealing) as the n8ii...which works very well for my tastes. On that note all 3 DAPs above have a similar character to my ears. The P6 Pro is more transparent and not as full bodied as the other 2. The N7 is something of a baby LP6 with a better UI. LP6 still wins for sound but N7 is damn good for like 1/3 the price and more functionality.

On that note...

Trifecta + LP6 is currently my personal high bar benchmark for IEM excellence right now-- full bodied analogue perfection.

The one and only Oenaryo Traillii

I finally got to hear the legendary black and red bird. Same Traillii greatness but I think the Bird may have been finally been eclipsed by the Storm for me. Great involving tuning in both cases but the Storm's bass response pulls it ahead imho.

UM MEST Mkiii

The MEST III may be my favorite MEST-- I think UM finally nailed natural sounding mids in their MEST line here.

FatFreq Grand Maestro

I was pleased to check out the Fatfreq Grand Maestro at the Musicteck table. A more refined-in-the-mids and less bass dominant presentation than the the Maestro Mini or the SE. Possibly the best "all rounder" of the Fafreq lineup.

A couple disappointments...
Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea

Surprisingly the new Andromeda was a ilttle "meh" for me. I think they're trying to make it sound a little like the analogue Trifecta-- which imho just doesn't work with BAs. I think it's even darker than the 2020 and lacks a bit of the transparency and clarity I love from that model and the top end sparkle of (what is still) my favorite incarnation of the Andromeda-- the OG. Also for only a bit more you can get the Elysian Diva which absolutely blows this Andro out of the water.

64 Audio Fourte Blanc

This one didn't do much for me-- feels kind of 2-d, a little veiled and with blunted treble coming from the Solaris, which I much preferred and which is $1000 cheaper.

Off the beaten path...

I got to hear this magnificent setup. Unfortunately the open design combined with the very busy loud and crowded room in which I was listening made the demo less than ideal. Also I think fundamentally am not really a headphone guy-- I'm to used to the "nudged right up to your brain" intimacy that IEMs give.

The new Jomo prototype. Nice in-offensive tuning. Great bass. Mids were a touch recessed and vocals sounded a little glossy or something to me.

Other highlights...

Connecting with Lee Quan Min from Elysian via. Zoom and getting to "meet" him. @Natesdailies is picking his brain for info on upcoming Elysian flagships. I put in a word for our tour program and we will be connecting via email set to that up with upcoming releases. Exciting!

Was nice to finally meet the one and only @twister6.

Love these group photos with Watercooler legends. Much gratitude to @HiFiHawaii808 for the nametags.

Pictured (L-R): @goldwerger @Zachik @HiFiHawaii808 @Frankie D @RTodd @Sifo @Rockwell75 @twister6 @wazzupi @Natesdailies @Skyediver

Post-show IEM sesh.

Enjoying the local culture.

Forming friendships and sharing fellowship-- the true value of CanJam.

Was an epic show. I'll be experiencing some post-partum CanJam depression for the next few days I'm sure.
Excellent show report, do not realize that it is only your second CanJam. Also surprised to learn the "fake" Vancouver is the original one.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #50,262 of 89,288

- neutral(ish) mid-bass
- great soundstage

What do you think?

The Annihilator, for me, came off as bass light. I was not a fan. To be honest, it sounded like a hyped IEM. I preferred my custom Ely over the Annihilator. Its upper mids and treble are certainly good and clear, but a really good bass foundation was missing. I preferred the Multiverse Mentor to both. @Rockwell75 likes the EXT, so it would be good to get his thoughts on the comparison.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #50,263 of 89,288
EXT does have more treble energy and warmer mids. But youre looking at the wrong Annihilator graph. You need to look at 2021 and onwards, not pre 2021.
Thank you. I found the graph of your CIEM Annihilator on squiq / tgx78 :)

Did you sell it?

Do you think, for my wishlist, the EXT would be the better IEM? I tend to guess so. Better bass, even more treble energy…

The Annihilator, for me, came off as bass light. I was not a fan. To be honest, it sounded like a hyped IEM. I preferred my custom Ely over the Annihilator. Its upper mids and treble are certainly good and clear, but a really good bass foundation was missing. I preferred the Multiverse Mentor to both. @Rockwell75 likes the EXT, so it would be good to get his thoughts on the comparison.

My problem is, I have no option to demo the Annihilator and I actually don’t want to do any blind-buys anymore. I loved the EXT, even found them to be the best IEMs I’ve ever heard. Now I need to get the fit right with tip rolling.

I think for @Rockwell75 It’s head-to-head between Annihilator and EXT. He mentioned the EXT might even be on his Top2 after Trifecta, in his latest chart it was Nr.3 after Anni, though :wink:

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #50,264 of 89,288
Thank you. I found the graph of your CIEM Annihilator on squiq / tgx78 :)

Did you sell it?

Do you think, for my wishlist, the EXT would be the better IEM? I tend to guess so. Better bass, even more treble energy…

Yes I did, I'm not the biggest fan of the DD bass in the Annihilator but I think for most users it is fine.

I would say EXT has better bass and more treble energy than Annihilator, but for me the mids are more recessed as a result of the treble tuning and I couldn't get on with the EXT fit either. They're both awesome IEMs.

Feb 27, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #50,265 of 89,288
Yes I did, I'm not the biggest fan of the DD bass in the Annihilator but I think for most users it is fine.

I would say EXT has better bass and more treble energy than Annihilator, but for me the mids are more recessed as a result of the treble tuning and I couldn't get on with the EXT fit either. They're both awesome IEMs.
Thank you. I will demo the EXT once more with different tips. If I fail to find a decent fit, Annihilator comes into play!

Yes the mids seem recessed in the graph but I found them to be totally fine tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back