The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 15, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #89,266 of 90,222
I
I have the Yatono OG 2-pin with the Trailli and I don't get any energetic treble at least with that variant. Just the usual Brise house sound goodness.
Still have to try it with Mest Mk3, if the problem persists, I'll blame it on the adapters. I'll probably end up buying the Yatono anyway, look how nice it matches the Advar 😁. Sounds great too. No treble problems here.
1000027771.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #89,267 of 90,222
Can you list out everything in this audio chain, if not already? :eyes:
Looks like WM1ZM2 as digital transport to Chord stack of TT2 and Mscalar feeding MHA200 which powers some IEM.

PS - I’m novice in IEM so can’t identify.

May 15, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #89,268 of 90,222
I recently relistened to Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers after watching him utterly demolish Drake, and man... that album is a masterpiece. 'Can't wait for people to start coming around to it and recognize it as probably K-Dot's best.

It's between this and To Pimp A Butterfly for me.

Love these two... and really its very hard to rate one of his albums over another, they're all masterpieces. "Untitled Unmastered" I would say is another one that doesn't get its due, it's incredible.

May 15, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #89,269 of 90,222
It's between this and To Pimp A Butterfly for me.
Absolutely, same. TPAB instantly popped in my head as I was writing that post, but I think the more relatable subject matter and more daring (or conceptual) production of Mr. Morale is what's winning me over right now. We Cry Together is one of the most unique "songs" I've ever heard. Nearly brought me to tears hearing it again last night.

May 15, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #89,271 of 90,222
Looks like WM1ZM2 as digital transport to Chord stack of TT2 and Mscalar feeding MHA200 which powers some IEM.

PS - I’m novice in IEM so can’t identify.
IEM is the Noble Viking Ragnar and looks like the cable is the EA Chiron

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #89,273 of 90,222
Absolutely, same. TPAB instantly popped in my head as I was writing that post, but I think the more relatable subject matter and more daring (or conceptual) production of Mr. Morale is what's winning me over right now. We Cry Together is one of the most unique "songs" I've ever heard. Nearly brought me to tears hearing it again last night.
That's funny because that is the weakest track on the album for me. It got old fast on repeated listen and hurts the pacing imo. 😅

May 15, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #89,274 of 90,222
Ooh, that's nice! :grinning: Given that you seem to be into retrofuturism too, I just have to ask, do you ever watch picsnportraits' Sleepcore stuff?

No I haven’t heard of that but will investigate!

May 15, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #89,276 of 90,222
Howdy Folks,

Hope you have all been keeping well.

Just sharing a photo of a chain I am really into right now.

PXL_20240515_055644735~2.jpg

As some of you may know, I have a lot of love for the Aroma brand. I absolutely adore the Jewel and it continues to be my number one, having tried everything under the sun. Of course, I have spent a lot of time with it to tweak it to bring out its bass and treble in ways that makes it an absolute joy for me to listen to.

This post is however less about the Jewel and more about the rather amazing Aroma A100TB amp. It's such a pocket rocket. In fact, on many occasions, I prefer it to the ibasso Osprey PB5, albeit they have rather contrasting presentations. While the PB5 gives me a richer and warmer presentation with excellent reverb of notes and a lusher midrange; the A100TB tightens up the bass, whilst throwing a deeper stage and presenting an airier treble. I love both amps but I have to say that the A100TB is currently getting more listening time from me than the PB5.

Of course, the Sony WM1ZM2 continues to be in the thick of things and I just love how the A100TB opens up the Sony house sound without coloring it too much. Absolute joy. :heart:

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #89,277 of 90,222
Different strokes. 😋
A track from this album that I can't believe every time I hear it. When people say "bah, rap isn't music, just noise... " this comes to mind as an example of what they're missing.

May 15, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #89,278 of 90,222
Howdy Folks,

Hope you have all been keeping well.

Just sharing a photo of a chain I am really into right now.

PXL_20240515_055644735~2.jpg

As some of you may know, I have a lot of love for the Aroma brand. I absolutely adore the Jewel and it continues to be my number one, having tried everything under the sun. Of course, I have spent a lot of time with it to tweak it to bring out its bass and treble in ways that makes it an absolute joy for me to listen to.

This post is however less about the Jewel and more about the rather amazing Aroma A100TB amp. It's such a pocket rocket. In fact, on many occasions, I prefer it to the ibasso Osprey PB5, albeit they have rather contrasting presentations. While the PB5 gives me a richer and warmer presentation with excellent reverb of notes and a lusher midrange; the A100TB tightens up the bass, whilst throwing a deeper stage and presenting an airier treble. I love both amps but I have to say that the A100TB is currently getting more listening time from me than the PB5.

Of course, the Sony WM1ZM2 continues to be in the thick of things and I just love how the A100TB opens up the Sony house sound without coloring it too much. Absolute joy. :heart:
Because of all the positivity on this thread about the Jewel, I got it a while ago (your description has been a part of that to). And let me tell you, it has never let me down since.

I can see why for so many its the nr1. Tech is always evolving, but I love timeless pieces as well. The Jewel truly is one.

I know your stance on BA bass 😛 but I think you would like the CP622B to. Its actually quite similar to the Jewel. Just a tat more mid forward, little less slam. But the boneconduction really does do wonders. (But maybe you already tried this thing 🤷‍♂️)

Anyways, always interesting to read your findings.
I will be pairing the Jewel really soon with. Desktop Amp.

May 15, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #89,279 of 90,222
May 15, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #89,280 of 90,222
Oh boy, look what just arrived 🥰🤤 The new Luxury & Precision E7!

TKP - NJ SS Review - 3.jpg

After more than a year of waiting it's finally here, and let me tell you it was worth the wait. I have a full review coming but I wanted to share some impressions right away since I know many are quite interested. Just to be clear my unit is brand new, I've been listening constantly since it arrived, but that's only about 20 hrs, and I can hear it opening up a lot. After 100Hrs + it will for sure be different.

Right off the bat I can say this is the most analog Delta Sigma DAP I've ever heard, really. It's so natural and clear with plenty of the L&P magic in there. No digital glare whatsoever, wow. How they managed this sound in such a tiny box is beyond me, and to make it sound so organic and analog, it's nuts. Very detailed, open and airy, super transparent too. More on the neutral side, not overly thick, not bright or thin at all either. Other companies should take note of this, this is a masterclass in transparent tuning, graceful and refined, without being boring or flat. I hear amazing levels of micro details in the mids, very detailed and open treble, and deep punchy bass that is nicely textured. It's giving me major DMP vibes, that kind of grand stage with great details and a lot of air, technical but very analog - the DMP is a tad warmer and maybe thicker, but the technical side is similar.

While it is not R2R, they used the special 4497 AKM chips, like the DMP, and it is just fantastic. The new OS and UI is a huge step forward, we now have gapless, a search function that works very well, useable metadata browsing, lossless EQ, and adjustable op amp voltage. You can name your playlists too, it's all much more seamless and functional. The exclusive version has three separate tuning options, and while I largely prefer the HD, the other two are super cool as well. There is some hardware upgrades too, so anyone thinking about buying the E7 should really consider the Exclusive if it's available.

E7 Combined Web.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg
IMG_3366.jpg
IMG_3368.jpg
IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

I know that for some people the lack of streaming, or the closed UI is not for them. I'll say this now, if you NEED streaming, Android or Roon support, Wi-Fi, BT out, or even good battery life just don't bother with the E7. This DAP is music only, it was designed this way, and L&P isn't going to change this anytime soon, probably ever. This is a purist DAP, like their others, and the SQ speaks for itself. L&P chooses SQ over all else, tuning the FPGA for maximum tone, at the expense of battery life. So while the battery life isn't great compared to most DAPs, it's much better than AE, charges faster too, and more than worth the compromise for me.The new UI is leagues ahead of previous models, but don't expect it to perform like your phone, or the TOTL Android DAP either. It's basic, but basic done right. Rant over - but please please, if you need those options, or don't like a closed system, just let it be. There are so many choices out there, we're spoiled with options, so choose what you like best, for the use cases you need. :)

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention that the E7 does indeed do BT wireless streaming from another device. That means you can stream from your phone or laptop, controlling the music from that device. E7 supports up to LDAC and the SQ is rather amazingly good. I really enjoyed winter walks with my P6 Pro; IEMs in and DAP in my jacket pocket, streaming from my phone as I discovered new music and curated playlists. It’s a very cool feature, allowing you to extend the E7s abilities for a more modern world. You can also use USB in, which I use with my AE streaming from my laptop. END EDIT

I love how fast you're in your music - just a quick button press, a few seconds of waiting and play. And how small at light it is, like the P6 Pro. The volume knob is very smooth with the right amount of resistance. Both 4.4 and 3.5 can be used PO or LO, you can choose this in the drop-down menu that also houses the usual stuff. I find it charges noticeably faster then my AE, but there is no QC or PD support, you need to use an old school USBC - USBA cable. The screen is much larger than before, lots of real estate for album art and controls. Side buttons have a nice click to them, very secure.

Compared to the AE - well they are very different. The AE is more dense, more impactful and punchy. I hear the E7 sounding a bit more detailed up top, also more sparkle and shine there, while the AE is more analog up top, and focuses more on texture and body. AE stage is bigger, it's more grand and massive sounding, the E7 is more clean and transparent, without the mid-bass bump or super mid forward tuning the AE has. AE stage is center focused with huge space all out ot the sides, the E7 stage is more spread to begin with. They are both very technical, but both are very analog sounding too. So far I may prefer the AE still, but as the E7 opens up I like it more and more - my Sony WM1ZM2 is already sold as its place in my collection has now been filled by the E7.

I think, for some people, maybe even most, the E7 will be an easier choice. Not only because it's cheaper, but because it's more neutral, more modern sounding, far more useable, and probably better for modern music, as the AE can be overly mid focused sometimes. The UI and general experience is no contest, the E7 is far superior here no surprise. I know a few who prefer the E7 already, especially for Electronic - I'm very curious for myself how I feel after a few weeks when it's fully opened up. I find the AE makes me feel things in my chest more, the thump of the drums and overall physical presentation. The E7 makes me focus on the details more, perhaps because the top end sounds more open and detailed. While it is impactful, it's more graceful, and less punchy.

IMG_3437.jpg
IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg
IMG_3382.jpg

So, that's it for now. My full review will come in some weeks, once I've had a chance to really get used to it, but suffice to say, it is fantastic! I'm really blown away by what L&P has done here - color me very very impressed. Paired with the Traillii and SS cable this is a treat of natural and neutral excellence, with tons of space and air, along with a massive stage. Pitch black background, oodles of details, especially in the mids. Yummy. If anyone is on the fence about getting one, let me give you a gentle nudge in the E7's direction. Absolutely highest recommendation - just know what it is, and what it's not, before buying. I think Musicteck has one or two left :)

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back