The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #50,191 of 89,240
Waiting for my car all done.
What a weekend. Listened to new Annihilator today liked it. And on my way out I got to hear the Storm wow what a set.

F5382633-7E4C-450A-A365-88B322B26EB1.jpeg

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #50,192 of 89,240
I find the red module actually enhances subbass (as midbass is slightly flattened.)

I'm on custom, not sure if that makes a difference.
The Atoms module is larger for custom, guess it will make some difference.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #50,193 of 89,240
Curious what other's thoughts were on the Trifecta from the show. Know it wasn't for everyone, but I got to hear it at the Bloom booth and although I felt like it couldn't quite handle multilayered orchestra stuff, it stood out to me as a really distinct, unique sound signature in a sea of stuff that seemed to tweak existing styles to various degrees.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #50,194 of 89,240
I had a lot of fun today. Crossed off a decent amount of iems I had on my demo list. Day 2 will be A/B testing the highlights. For the fit reference my ears are on the average/small side. Broad stroke impressions:

Letshouer Cadenza - 10MM DD, 11 BA

Fit: Great. One of the best in the show.
EA02CF91-08EE-48A5-94FB-8391A0C02D4A.jpeg

5EC823CB-CE96-4391-A7D6-364999DB9C89.jpeg

This one interested me because it's a titanium cased flagship. It has bombastic bass. The treble sounds a little bright and unrefined. Its pretty dynamic and wild sounding. I can see why someone would find it interesting but it is not for me.

Letshouer Ejo07- This is a cheaper 899$ model. The fit is also great. The technicalities are a step down from the cadenza. It has a smaller stage. It has a reference tuning with softer transients that are easier on the ears. It also loses some character in comparison to the Cadenza. This seems like a good all rounder at this price point.

3D12C4C7-BC41-429A-BE81-2A2E31A37651.jpeg

[ ✅] Mezzo le - I liked it after the first song. Fit 8/10. Its a small iem. Acoustic Timbre / imaging is pretty good. Going for a second audition tomorrow.

115702C1-EC66-412D-80A1-DC129D599FCD.jpeg

E7D91442-E008-4199-BDF7-0D0A7FBDD0EA.jpeg

Elysian Diva - I heard good things about Diva so I was pretty excited to try it. Unfortunately I found the fit to be quite big for me. 6.5/10 for sizing. Fun sounding bass. I found its technicalities to sound like its price point. The treble was not as refined as the Elysian X.

1C6128EF-361D-4805-94D8-F4B00185515E.jpeg

[ ✅ ] Elysian Annihilator - Acoustic timbre is better than X. In comparison, it has rolled off sub bass and more mid bass. It sounds more linear, mids are warmer. It is noticibly more resolving than Diva but the highs are a little fatiguing for aggressive music. I liked slower music on it.

CA5144E7-CC03-47E3-8A10-EB17D82F7305.jpeg

[ ✅ ] Fir Radon 6. Shells feels light like kr5 and ne4. It sounds quite clean while having the XE6 DNA. One of the highlights of the show. Lower treble or highs feel a little sharp or fatiuging with house music tracks like Borgeous invincible, lower treble seems to be a bit screechy, sibilant. Need to re-evaluate tomorrow.

83F0AEE9-B61F-4078-8EB4-EBA0C828F2AC.jpeg

Jomo GT600 - I liked it. Laid back tuning warm mid focused. It's down to earth, above average transient speed, smooth and has great timbre. The fit was bigger than average. This seems like a good all rounder IEM to get long sessions in with. Not necessary for my use case.

3F22BD83-9074-47EB-AEDF-5B6808C147F8.jpeg

Aroma Jewel- Sounds HIFI and lean towards a reference tuning with great DD bass. I liked vocals on it. The highs were also nice for energetic music because of the tamer highs. The imaging, transients was sharp. I can see why some people would like this but I didn't find it as engaging or immersive as UM Multiverse Mentor.

99F0A6C5-6B05-4F8B-91C2-FB1BDC5B6906.jpeg

Lotoo Mjolnir / Mentor

This is pristine sounding with a clean black background. It has a neutral / treble leaning orientation, creating sharper transients and more space in between instruments. Imaging going wild. This sounds like a more powerful less noisier N8ii. Makes Mentor even more resolving but elevates the treble quantity a bit too much for me.

0E2CE84B-A3B0-4756-B9DC-AD12B7CF824E.jpeg

[ ✅ ] Noble Ronin. It doesn't fit that well, 6/10 with the fit. This is a different sounding Noble, quite different compared to the Ragnar. It's musical but highly resolving. The bass is the highlight. Mids are emotive. It's spacial cues / transient response speed reminds me of the Traillii. A/B testing it tomorrow.

08139110-FAD2-4884-AB72-AB9B5C99AFCC.jpeg

Ve Proto Blue - Fits like Phonix. Nice lush mids, smooth transients. Mid bassy. Spills over to mids for fast tracks. Pretty technical but not summit Ti level.

Ve Prototype Red - Highs are more pronounced vs blue and has reduced mid bass compared to it.

29535233-1143-4FC9-8F48-7EF21C897B33.jpeg

Phonix LE - Sounds better than proto blue. It has reduced lower mids compared to OG Phonix. Great mids for vocals. Wonderful resolution. A TOTL set. I would take a second look at this if it fit me better.

ED45BDEE-5590-4A83-9D60-2150F5645F68.jpeg

[ ✅ ] Trifecta - Great textured bass. Strings sounds juicy and full. I found it enjoyable for slow music. Wasn't my preference for electronic. It sounded lower resolution and the treble sounded sharp.

2FF6BD86-10DD-49FB-95C6-F1BCC84E8332.jpeg

[✅ ] Jomo Alpha Ti - This one was recommended by Raylu and was a surprise. It fits great. Compared to GT600, more dynamics more excitement. Fantastic bass texture and slam. Pleasant warmth from mid bass, lower mids while being resolving / no sibilants. Revisiting this.

9E829CC9-540A-46EB-A4B7-1A14921CBBB9.jpeg

1CCE9057-2EB8-4788-B176-893DFEB575CF.jpeg

64 Audio Blanc - One of the best fits (like the U12T) This seemed a few tiers below in terms of resolving capability compared ro Jomo Alpha ti. It's got a lush vintage tonality with rolled off highs. I found it enjoyable for slower music. Not sure if I would pay MSRP for this.

580957F7-5E69-431F-AD9D-70A71F736485.jpeg

[ ✅ ] Subtonic Storm / Tempest. Good Iems but revisiting this to know how good. Seems receptive to source and cable changes. Will get a second look tomorrow

4C6C1573-DE8B-4A62-BE87-C2E1D908E817.jpeg

Mest 3 - Fits well. Enjoyable DD bass. One of my top picks at this price point. It sounds flatter compared to Mentor. It's missing some of that X factor imaging, dynamics and engagement factor.

5A29D004-6800-4315-AC4C-887CAC1A4060.jpeg

Got more impressions but I should get some shut eye now.
Nice impression Nate! I hope you enjoy my service in musicteck :) , and really fun experience to discuss and share experience will you all :) !

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #50,195 of 89,240
Curious what other's thoughts were on the Trifecta from the show. Know it wasn't for everyone, but I got to hear it at the Bloom booth and although I felt like it couldn't quite handle multilayered orchestra stuff, it stood out to me as a really distinct, unique sound signature in a sea of stuff that seemed to tweak existing styles to various degrees.
We only had one set of Traillii for demo, the Red and black face plate one. @Frankie D stopped by several times and I think every time loaned his Orpheus cabled Bird to a customer to hear. Nowhere near as many requests this year as last to hear it, for those that did just about everyone liked it the most. One person liked Noble Ronin better, this year Bird or Jewell comparing to Mentor the most.

Annihilator where I was seated, was the most requested set. Unanimous in its approval for the most part, though those that wanted to hear it were not generally looking to hear anything else except in most cases Diva.

I did get to share my Trifecta with a few that were interested, and they liked it. Personally did not hear much talk about it from the people that visited the MusicTeck tables.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #50,196 of 89,240
A quick CanJam update as I only had a few hours at the show on Saturday. First of all, to those I was lucky enough to see in person, it was wonderful meeting you even for a brief moment. A special shout out to @RTodd who gave me a demo of MM which was very impressive. It refined and improved upon Indigo’s sound signature. Smoother treble, Lana Del Rey‘s “Love Song” was enchanting. String and vocal timbre spot on. Bass was more present and impactful than I would have imagined based on other impressions. Not a showstopper for me. Deep soundstage. Deeper and wider than Indigo. Perhaps a future purchase. Now, what really blew me away was hearing that same song/IEM played through @rtodd‘s P6 Pro. It was my first time hearing R2R and wow, it imbued the music with an analogue smoothness and texture akin to tube amps. What a departure from my L6K AKM based player. That was a revalation to me. I Thank you @RTodd! (But my wallet doesn’t) :) While my time was too short at CanJam (wanted to hear Trifecta, Solaris and XE6), getting to meet fellow Coolers was so delightful. And yes, I did purchase a ZMF Atrium Open and I can’t wait to rediscover my library through it. Already looking forward to next year’s show!

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #50,197 of 89,240
We only had one set of Traillii for demo, the Red and black face plate one. @Frankie D stopped by several times and I think every time loaned his Orpheus cabled Bird to a customer to hear. No where near as many requests this year as last to hear it, for those that did just about everyone liked it the most. One person liked Noble Ronin better, this year Bird or Jewell comparing to Mentor the most.

Annihilator where I was seated, was the most requested set. Unanimous in its approval for the most part, though those that wanted to hear it were not generally looking to hear anything else except in most cases Diva.
Since I'm in Lee's home town next week do you feel it's worth stopping by to get an impression of Anni '23 if the OG didn't ring particular well with me? On both my demos I had pressure problems so I think it would only make sense if the new one is vented.

drftr

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #50,198 of 89,240
Have you tried RS2?
I have yet to find a HiBy dealer! But I think I'm ready for a bigger step up from RU6. Same goes for R6iii. I won't be a regular DAP buyer so I'd be most interested in a big enough upgrade across the line.

I am consistently using the LP P6Pro and the Cayin n6ii with R01, as I'm obviously addicted to the r2r sound of these DAPs. I moved from the DS DAC of AK Kann Max recently and have zero regrets. That analytical AK house sound just didn't move me (tho I have yet to listen to a TOTL like SP3K).

The P6Pro sounds just perfect through any transducers I have, though it's power strains to drive my harder to drive like TGXear and HD800s. It does not offer a very good EQ which does suck. I think it especially excelled with my Z1R using its built in EQ setting for that IEM. No Gapless, and of course no Android so no apps. But for pure sound, this is a pinnacle achievement.

The Cayin, God love it, is a master of all, and when paired with the R01 r2r board, does approach the sound joy of the P6Pro, tho P6Pro is a more natural sound. And then Cayin adds just about every other feature you could ask for while providing some beefier power (listening to TGX Serratus right now on high gain at 60-70, but I like it loud). I can listen to everything on this in r2r glory including every streaming service.

In my life, the P6Pro stays home and the Cayin can travel, tho both are the same size and heft. When I want my bedtime listen, P6Pro is still go to.

Edit: the cost! I bought both used and broken in. Still the P6Pro cost 3x the Cayin R01 and that came with an AKM board also!
That's very helpful - tnx!

No gapless? I hadn't even thought about limitations like that. It's 2023!!! That would be a big No. Imagine listening to an opera where you get 30 arias within an hour. Would drive me nuts. Will have to do thorough research anyway but I'm glad you put this problem on my radar. Good news on R6ii though... It's a pity I passed when @Damz87 unit was up for sale. I just wasn't ready for it yet. Guess that's the definition of life :wink:

drftr

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #50,199 of 89,240
Since I'm in Lee's home town next week do you feel it's worth stopping by to get an impression of Anni '23 if the OG didn't ring particular well with me? On both my demos I had pressure problems so I think it would only make sense if the new one is vented.

drftr
Never heard the 2022 so someone else should chime in. To me, the treble was really good and not hot, the bass was also quite nicely done. It is very difficult to demo at a show and really hear a set, not enough time and too many other things stealing focus, I did it early before we got busy, even so after like 3 minutes someone needed my help, then the Annihilator was almost constantly being listened to by others.

If you have time that would be a good use of it.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #50,200 of 89,240
Waiting for my car all done.
What a weekend. Listened to new Annihilator today liked it. And on my way out I got to hear the Storm wow what a set.

Lucky you man! My most regrettable thing for this year's Canjam journey is that I missed Storm...

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Feb 26, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #50,201 of 89,240
Nice exposure to IEMs for me this Canjam. I used to give them a miss.
have to say it’s difficult to pick one favourite as all top IEMs discussed here have one strength or another.
It is just a matter of preference.
For me however XE6 was different. Warm and controlled treble. I like warm sound. For full resolution I have HD800s and ZMF Verite running on my desktop setup. XE6 gives me good departure from it. There is a younger sibling of it which will be limited edition to mark 5 years of FiR audio and will be for those who found treble of XE6 too dark or found it too warm. For me personally I wanted something different and XE6 is the right one for me.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #50,202 of 89,240

drftr

I think it's worth stopping by to hear it again and then deciding if you want to get your impressions :wink:

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #50,203 of 89,240
one IEM however disappointed me and it is from my favorite headphone manufacturer - Sennhesier
I own HD800s, HD650 and I love them.
I heard praises of IE900 with WM1Z but after trying out flagships from other manufacturer, IE900 disappointed me. I am not sure if tip was an issue or what but the sound was disjointed and even bright and sharp. Ya its not in same price point but still something was off with them.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #50,204 of 89,240
[ ✅ ] Elysian Annihilator - Acoustic timbre is better than X. In comparison, it has rolled off sub bass and more mid bass. It sounds more linear, mids are warmer. It is noticibly more resolving than Diva but the highs are a little fatiguing for aggressive music. I liked slower music on it.
Did you find the Anni to be different enough than the X to justify owning both? If so, what genres did you find suit the Anni better than the X, or X than the Anni?

Receiving my Annihilator soon that I ordered late Dec. I was wondering if I should just keep it in the box and start a listing, so it doesn't lose any value. But I am so curious to see if I can fit it in my collection. I would love to for collection purposes as they are both hard to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back