The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #50,177 of 90,221
Oops... I actually didn't try that for 1AM2 today... Was that a mistake that could have led to much fuller sounding mids and less brightness? Or is the difference normally not that big? I had plenty of juice that's for sure.

drftr
Yes. Sultan only sounded good on high gain on the Sony for me.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #50,178 of 90,221
Such great guys, early before it got busy, listening to the new Radon versions. For me XE6 is still better, same issue with isolation making any nearby conversation audible.

E82D3BEB-6BE2-4808-B5EA-9BD44DDCE589.jpeg

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #50,179 of 90,221
What do you like better about xe6?

@RTodd

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #50,180 of 90,221
What do you like better about xe6?

@RTodd
The Bass staying elevated into the mids. The special sauce for me, they tamed that down bass drops sooner. Treble not sure would need to have more time, no issues with it either version. For Radon Red Filter best. If you liked KR5 better than XE6 but found it a bit bright, Radon my be the one.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #50,181 of 90,221
The Bass staying elevated into the mids. The special sauce for me, they tamed that down bass drops sooner. Treble not sure would need to have more time, no issues with it either version. For Radon Red Filter best. If you liked KR5 better than XE6 but found it a bit bright, Radon my be the one.

This right here. When I talked to Bogdan about it I told him that I really liked the vocal forwardness and clarity of the Kr5 but preferred the top end clarity and detail of the Xe6 and found that the Radon was somethign of a best of both worlds between the two and he said this is what they were going for. I also liked the red module better than the silver with the Radon but if I owned it I'd probably play around with the modules a bit to see which one I liked best. Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.

In other news I'm really glad I'm getting this second day here-- going back over everything again and fleshing out my impressions has been very helpful.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #50,182 of 90,221
Thanks.

Red module was a game changer for me with xe6 in how it ever-so-slightly tames and sculpts the midbass. xe6 treble is among the best i've heard so haven't felt much need for any change there.

the allure (in my head,) of the rn6 is that it will be a more "natural sounding" fir, but with all of the technical prowess of the xe6.

for the record, kr5 didn't resonate with me at all, and i prefer the tuning on the xe6 at virtually every inflection.

curious to hear rn6 to see what fir's been up to.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #50,183 of 90,221
If all else fails and price is no objection while portability is (and that unfortunately also means no tubes 😭 and a weight really close to or lower than 300 grams) what are my options?

On the list I have:

Hiby R5ii (lucky shot?)
iBasso DX240 / AMP8ii (just in a lucky case where its brightness ends up being somewhere besides Sultan's hotspot)
Lotoo PAW600
Hiby RS6

But I wonder if there's more than what follows below?

Cayin N6ii / R01
Shanling M7
Hifiman R2R2000 Red
Hifiman R2R2000 Black
Lotoo PAW Gold Touch
L&P P6 Pro

drftr
Have you tried RS2?

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #50,184 of 90,221
Thanks for your description. That makes the Radon interesting for me as I’m not a big fan of elevated mid bass. Would you say the Radeon has great sub-bass, neutral mid-bass and extended, airy treble?

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #50,185 of 90,221
If all else fails and price is no objection while portability is (and that unfortunately also means no tubes 😭 and a weight really close to or lower than 300 grams) what are my options?

On the list I have:

Hiby R5ii (lucky shot?)
iBasso DX240 / AMP8ii (just in a lucky case where its brightness ends up being somewhere besides Sultan's hotspot)
Lotoo PAW600
Hiby RS6

But I wonder if there's more than what follows below?

Cayin N6ii / R01
Shanling M7
Hifiman R2R2000 Red
Hifiman R2R2000 Black
Lotoo PAW Gold Touch
L&P P6 Pro

drftr
I am consistently using the LP P6Pro and the Cayin n6ii with R01, as I'm obviously addicted to the r2r sound of these DAPs. I moved from the DS DAC of AK Kann Max recently and have zero regrets. That analytical AK house sound just didn't move me (tho I have yet to listen to a TOTL like SP3K).

The P6Pro sounds just perfect through any transducers I have, though it's power strains to drive my harder to drive like TGXear and HD800s. It does not offer a very good EQ which does suck. I think it especially excelled with my Z1R using its built in EQ setting for that IEM. No Gapless, and of course no Android so no apps. But for pure sound, this is a pinnacle achievement.

The Cayin, God love it, is a master of all, and when paired with the R01 r2r board, does approach the sound joy of the P6Pro, tho P6Pro is a more natural sound. And then Cayin adds just about every other feature you could ask for while providing some beefier power (listening to TGX Serratus right now on high gain at 60-70, but I like it loud). I can listen to everything on this in r2r glory including every streaming service.

In my life, the P6Pro stays home and the Cayin can travel, tho both are the same size and heft. When I want my bedtime listen, P6Pro is still go to.

Edit: the cost! I bought both used and broken in. Still the P6Pro cost 3x the Cayin R01 and that came with an AKM board also!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #50,186 of 90,221
I have and I even revisit the idea on a (too) regular base. The thing is I mostly listen to classical music nowadays and nothing is more frustrating than having to change the volume 10 times during for instance a symphony or opera. They often start incredibly quiet only to go louder and louder until your skull explodes. That means you keep adjusting the volume all the time which, for me, really takes away from the experience. So in my music spreadsheet I have collected my preferred volume per recording that I can now set before I press the button and I'm good for over an hour of bliss. But what is needed to do so is a display that shows volume!

Leaving out a few dongles there is only one portable DAC/amp that has that feature but that is sonically not the best addition to my setup, unfortunately. It's literally the only reason that I decided to look for a DAP instead: A display that shows volume. Believe me if I tell you that I have also looked into all small and light enough desktop DAC/amps with the same feature but those are equally hard to find as they become too heavy and bulky for obvious reasons.

Good thinking though - appreciated!

drftr
The volume balls do change colour at specific levels. Another spreadsheet column though and a bit funky. I’ve been using mine to playback pggb files and the sp3000 for everything else. The sp3000 is so much heavier though. Both can do 768k from sdcard which suits my use case. Fwiw my goto iem for the poly/mojo is the noble khan. The HD EQ on the mojo 2 is something special in that it doesn’t make the sound lose it’s life like most eq. It makes my Odin listenable.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #50,187 of 90,221
Thanks for your description. That makes the Radon interesting for me as I’m not a big fan of elevated mid bass. Would you say the Radeon has great sub-bass, neutral mid-bass and extended, airy treble?
Should know how Radon6 sounds with red module soon. I dont like much midbass too but with RD6 it was a matter of tips to tame it to acceptable levels. Red module will open it up too. Just hoping it does not roll off subbass as much as it did on XE6.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #50,188 of 90,221
All frontier series IEMs share this elevated mid bass/lower mids feature, to varying degrees, so if you don’t like that they won’t be for you. I also prefer the ‘standard’ tuning in that area for most of my music, but Kr5 and Xe6 do work very well with some music, generally slower and not too busy down low, and they’re a welcome change of flavor in my collection. They’re very different from each other by the way, but they do have the same bass/lower mids profile, and so does Radon 6, I understand.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #50,189 of 90,221
Also they're going to release a video explaining how to remove and insert the modules because apparently most people couldn't figure it out.
That would be very helpful. It feels like either the tool or the modules are faulty because I don’t seem to get any grip to remove them.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #50,190 of 90,221
Should know how Radon6 sounds with red module soon. I dont like much midbass too but with RD6 it was a matter of tips to tame it to acceptable levels. Red module will open it up too. Just hoping it does not roll off subbass as much as it did on XE6.
I find the red module actually enhances subbass (as midbass is slightly flattened.)

I'm on custom, not sure if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back