The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 14, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #39,856 of 89,166
@Scuba Devils your anniversary inspired me to look back on my very first post and it was also on a Sony thread 🤭 I had bought an EX1000 a few weeks after buying the IER-Z1R and I remember being so amazed at finally finding my first “synergy” a number of months later with the FiiO Q5s, and I had to share it with the world 😂 I struggled with the EX1000 up to that point. Not enough bass and peaky treble with my other main source (the Sony PHA-2A)
24/01/2017 for me, straight in at the shallow end with a PM chat to buy a pair of SE846's. Slippery slope since then! By December i'd sold them, re-bought them and was questioning a 2k cable. My how times have changed.... :beyersmile:

Screenshot 2022-11-14 112559.png

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #39,857 of 89,166
24/01/2017 for me, straight in at the shallow end with a PM chat to buy a pair of SE846's. Slippery slope since then! By December i'd sold them, re-bought them and was questioning a 2k cable. My how times have changed.... :beyersmile:

Now it’s like… “You only spent $2k on a cable?” 😂

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #39,858 of 89,166

Ha ha ha! At least it took you a while to get used to those prices. The most wonderful example I have seen was from @aaf evo who declared (I think it was) Orpheus being a totally ridiculous price and before I had been 2 pages further reading he had bought it! Now that is adapting in real-time! 🤐

drftr

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #39,860 of 89,166
nice, my first post is grumbling about JH taking a while with my JH16pros haha

Nov 14, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #39,861 of 89,166
Nov 14, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #39,862 of 89,166
Fun to look back, I joined on October 27 2020 after Andrew of MT suggested I should. I was asking him too many questions, I was already down the rabbit hole though only a year in on the then current DAPs and IEMs. My first post, nothing has changed, still would love it if Lotoo and L&P would collaborate on the ultimate non Android portable R2R DAP.

2211CBFC-0E78-401E-B436-D67B6A31B1A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #39,863 of 89,166

Haha oh man. Vega is literally one of my least favorite IEMs. This is great. 😂

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #39,864 of 89,166
Haha oh man. Vega is literally one of my least favorite IEMs. This is great. 😂

Ha ha...at the other end of the spectrum here are my enthusiastic first impressions of the Atlas in what was my 2nd or 3rd post on Head Fi. I had originally come here to look at wireless over ear headphones. IEMs for me at that point were an afterthought. The Atlas was soon eclipsed for me (by the Solaris) but prior to that my only IEM experience had been the Shure SE215 and vending machine Sony IEMs.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 5.58.22 AM.png

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #39,865 of 89,166
Fun to see where we came from!

I had been in "higher end", lol, IEMs since 2007 when I bought the Shure e4c (a treble heads dream!) which went for something like $300 back then. Then I went on to headphone stuff and decided to join head-fi when I found out about Schiit stuff. I move at snails pace compared to some of you here :sweat_smile:

1668438226428.png

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #39,866 of 89,166
Was just looking back when I first learned about the Watercooler. I first looked into the Sony XM4 TWS that I had been gifted and unfortunately was disappointed in so I was curious what others thought. Then via a couple of DD threads I came across Jeff's review of the Isabellae where I learned he had his own thread going. I thought I should visit at some point and then had a question about Isa's existence. Seems like ages ago really and a lot has happened since. But that one IEM I thought was going to change my life I haven't heard to date.

WC.png

EDIT: So I see you guys resize your pics. Are you doing that after uploading on Head-Fi??
EDIT 2: If I compare the 2 pics I haven't aged much! 😆

drftr

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #39,867 of 89,166
Demoed the SP3K today. The blackest background I have heard so far (it was so black that I was actually thinking that something's wrong with the sound), really technical but not analytical sounding, neutral sounding with a hint of warmth (warmer than the N8ii, for reference). Good DAP for an AK-house sound or as a general purpose flagship DAP, but probably won't appeal to those who have a dedicated sound preference i.e. WM1ZM2, R2Rs, LPGT. Also impossible to use without a case because the razor edges can literally kill someone. A pass for me.

On the other hand, Dita Perpetua might be the DD Phonix I am looking for in terms of having a thick midrange (but with single DD timbre and coherency) and being very easy/relaxing on the ears. Technically it is average at best at its price point - the lower-priced Kublai Khan runs circles around it in terms of resolution and imaging. No section from the FR stands out particularly, so it doesn't grab your attention like the XE6 for example. If you appreciate natural, realistic timbre with single DD coherency, fantastic mids, and a "plug-n-play-n-forget-about-technicalities-just-listen-to-music" experience, this might be it. I am going back tomorrow for another demo because the demo's tips are not sealing properly for me so I cannot evaluate the bass quality yet.

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #39,868 of 89,166
Demoed the SP3K today. The blackest background I have heard so far (it was so black that I was actually thinking that something's wrong with the sound), really technical but not analytical sounding, neutral sounding with a hint of warmth (warmer than the N8ii, for reference). Good DAP for an AK-house sound or as a general purpose flagship DAP, but probably won't appeal to those who have a dedicated sound preference i.e. WM1ZM2, R2Rs, LPGT. Also impossible to use without a case because the razor edges can literally kill someone. A pass for me.

On the other hand, Dita Perpetua might be the DD Phonix I am looking for in terms of having a thick midrange (but with single DD timbre and coherency) and being very easy/relaxing on the ears. Technically it is average at best at its price point - the lower-priced Kublai Khan runs circles around it in terms of resolution and imaging. No section from the FR stands out particularly, so it doesn't grab your attention like the XE6 for example. If you appreciate natural, realistic timbre with single DD coherency, fantastic mids, and a "plug-n-play-n-forget-about-technicalities-just-listen-to-music" experience, this might be it. I am going back tomorrow for another demo because the demo's tips are not sealing properly for me so I cannot evaluate the bass quality yet.
Extremely interested in reading your Perpetua follow-up. Especially if it's all mellow and polite or that it has enough bite to do prog and metal at the same time.

drftr

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #39,869 of 89,166

"You spent 2k on a cable???"
I laughed reading this haha. Hopefully this pricing madness would come to a halt and stabilize because my wallet cant handle this 🥲

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #39,870 of 89,166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back