The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #39,871 of 90,182
had wanted to change a car but currently the certificate to own a car for 10 years here in sg is at 116k sgd lol
No wonder there aren't any traffic jams in Singapore. Isn't there also a pass of some type to drive in certain city centers during rush hour? Plus huge import duties?

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #39,872 of 90,182
Lot of folks with new gear in here, anyone head over heels with their new toys? Be good to hear some thoughts!

I see oddesy has just gone up for sale in the far East but delivery not due till December...Anyone got pre order in?

Mentor in a few signatures now, guessing a winner?

SP3k new kid on the block or just different flavour and one for the Roon crowd?

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #39,873 of 90,182
Lot of folks with new gear in here, anyone head over heels with their new toys? Be good to hear some thoughts!

I see oddesy has just gone up for sale in the far East but delivery not due till December...Anyone got pre order in?

Mentor in a few signatures now, guessing a winner?

SP3k new kid on the block or just different flavour and one for the Roon crowd?

One of these days I’ll get around to sharing Mentor and SP3000 impressions! I’ve been too busy just relaxing and enjoying the music though 😏😎

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #39,874 of 90,182
Technically, their first ever IEM was the Prism in, like, 2017 or something. But, yeah, this one's a much higher-end offering for sure.

No wonder there aren't any traffic jams in Singapore. Isn't there also a pass of some type to drive in certain city centers during rush hour? Plus huge import duties?
Yeah, the secret to Singapore's clean, easy streets is pricing people out of personal cars. :D But, they compensate with a very thorough public transport system that's the easiest and most accessible I've personally ever used by far.

My 2nd anniversary today on Head-Fi, at least with this username - I had registered a few years before as 'Scubadevils' but with an email address I no longer had access to.

Screenshot_20221114_095914.jpg

I joined again to make a decision on an upgrade from the ZX300 to the ZX507... @Damz87 - I'm seeing now that you were the first to respond :)

Screenshot_20221114_095410.jpg

Screenshot_20221114_095430.jpg

I was incredibly innocent at the time to think I'd buy the ZX507 and XBA-N3 and that would be it...
Super idea, man! I just searched for my first ever post on Head-Fi as well. I had a bit of trouble, because it was before all of the site's recent infrastructural changes. I could very much recall that it was a post on the Audeze EL-8's, which I'd just purchased (or considered purchasing) at the time, but I couldn't find the exact thread I posted it on. Eventually, some detective work via my e-mail inbox led me to it:

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 01.21.24.png

As stupid as it might seem, this was one of the most nerve-wracking moments I can possibly recall. As someone who was famously socially-awkward to a degree, I definitely felt a need to prove myself and overcompensate with my very first post on Head-Fi. Some may say that's followed me even late into my career. Heck, the similes and post length surely did. :D But, in any case, it was the first of many posts, and, while I technically view my first post on Nic's then-called Ranking the Stars thread as the beginning of my career, this was the one that truly started it all.

Nov 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #39,875 of 90,182
One of these days I’ll get around to sharing Mentor and SP3000 impressions! I’ve been too busy just relaxing and enjoying the music though 😏😎
Guess that speaks for itself Bobby! Can't beat a bit of synergy!

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #39,877 of 90,182
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #39,879 of 90,182
I think it goes on sale on Nov. 16th. When you think about it though, it's a total blind buy from a company with NO history of making IEMs. :rolling_eyes::spy::sweat::unamused:
Must be some marketing ploy, no way I am going to buy a $3,500 IEM without any review from a cable manufacturer's first IEM.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #39,880 of 90,182
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #39,881 of 90,182
RS6 a good source for Annihilator....anyone?
I can attest to DX300 AMP12 as it's the only thing I've heard it with. It's a warmer source (midbass hump). I've also found that it's magical with Mentor whereas my DX320 Edition X is far too analytical for it. I would expect RS6 to be fantastic as well, as it's even more "Wet" and luscious than the DX300/12 (but only heard RS6 with IE900/IE600).

After some struggle with Mentor with DX320 Edition X (too technical), I do admit that that DAP is masterclass with Z1R + Supermoon & also IE900.

I've learned that Mentor MM, like Susvara, is at that tipping point, teeter-tottering between analytical (thin'ish) or organic and extremely reactive to sources. It's not particularly great with the house iBasso sound. The Mentor is a lot like Trailli in some ways, but it has a lot more snap, bite & attack over the Trailli from memory, whereas Trailli is rounded and a bit blunted.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #39,882 of 90,182
I can attest to DX300 AMP12 as it's the only thing I've heard it with. It's a warmer source (midbass hump). I've also found that it's magical with Mentor whereas my DX320 Edition X is far too analytical for it. I would expect RS6 to be fantastic as well, as it's even more "Wet" and luscious than the DX300/12 (but only heard RS6 with IE900/IE600).

After some struggle with Mentor with DX320 Edition X (too technical), I do admit that that DAP is masterclass with Z1R + Supermoon & also IE900.

I've learned that Mentor MM, like Susvara, is at that tipping point, teeter-tottering between analytical (thin'ish) or organic and extremely reactive to sources. It's not particularly great with the house iBasso sound. The Mentor is a lot like Trailli in some ways, but it has a lot more snap, bite & attack over the Trailli from memory, whereas Trailli is rounded and a bit blunted.

Cool...I'm in the market for an alternate source. Was thinking P6 Pro but having just unexpectedly purchased Ani my budget is too tapped out for P6 Pro so RU6 is back to being the most likely option.

In other news the second tour unit for Gaea just shipped so I should be able to mail one down to the US for tour by the end of this week. I'm holding on to the Canadian unit because it's going out with Diva and I want to have Diva on hand to a/b with Ani when it comes in.

US members interested in Gaea who haven't yet please sign up in the tour thread.

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #39,883 of 90,182
man… I’ve been a long time lurker since around late 2008 to early 2009.

And finally made an account when I got the news that Shure announced the KSE1500 and I just got my JH Audio Layla not too long before 🤣

I was so mad 😂

I was much of a bigger fan of Shure at the time since the SE215 were my first pair of IEMs and what really got me started in this IEM world. I’d still definitely would want to grab a KSE1500 one of these days.

0F8E4FAF-9D26-48BC-81A5-2BF724F9D33F.png

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #39,884 of 90,182
Cool...I'm in the market for an alternate source. Was thinking P6 Pro but having just unexpectedly purchased Ani my budget is too tapped out for P6 Pro so RU6 is back to being the most likely option.

In other news the second tour unit for Gaea just shipped so I should be able to mail one down to the US for tour by the end of this week. I'm holding on to the Canadian unit because it's going out with Diva and I want to have Diva on hand to a/b with Ani when it comes in.

US members interested in Gaea who haven't yet please sign up in the tour thread.
Jeff,
I don’t think you will like the very poor track navigation of the P6pro. Unless you like listening to your music on “all song shuffle”, you will find P6 Pro’s OS as very slow and frustrating. I tried a friends, and it turned me off buying a second hand P6 Pro. Imho of course…
RU-6 is a great choice for the money.
The Cayin N6ii’s with a R-01 card sound even better, but that player is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #39,885 of 90,182

Jeff,
I don’t think you will like the very poor track navigation of the P6pro. Unless you like listening to your music on “all song shuffle”, you will find P6 Pro’s OS as very slow and frustrating. I tried a friends, and it turned me off buying a second hand P6 Pro. Imho of course…
RU-6 is a great choice for the money.
The Cayin N6ii’s with a R-01 card sound even better, but that player is getting pretty long in the tooth.
P6 Pro has an OS......? :smile: Seriously, I have one and the OS is archaic and a big pain to navigate, but I do tend to play "all song shuffle", and the sound is really what it's all about. It hits high marks on sound quality. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back