The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #38,476 of 87,685
Word usage. For me hype means buzz or excitement-- not false hope or unproven sentiment. Saying something is hyped for me just means that there is a lot of excitement in the air about it.
I can’t say I would agree with that. I think in general, the sentiment of the word in this hobby is quite negative. When it’s suggested that people are “hyping“ a set, they generally don’t mean that’s a good thing. I also find people use the term a lot when they don’t agree with someone else’s position on a set even when they themselves might be doing the exact same thing for another set.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #38,477 of 87,685
I can’t say I would agree with that. I think in general, the sentiment of the word in this hobby is quite negative. When it’s suggested that people are “hyping“ a set, they generally don’t mean that’s a good thing. I also find people use the term a lot when they don’t agree with someone else’s position on a set even when they themselves might be doing the exact same thing for another set.

I understand where you're coming from but I actually like the word hype because there is to my knowledge no better word to capture how you're feeling or what you're doing when you're feeling joyful and excited about something new and want to convey that joy and excitement to others. Genuine hype I think is natural and good and one of the things all of us are continually seeking. The negative connotation of the term comes from false or insincere hype, which I think is better labeled shilling.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #38,478 of 87,685
I just tested stock Ragnar Cabel on IMR Avalon(800$) I was shocked by the result, they scaled to heaven in clarity on mids and high ends. I can expect something like that from end game cable like Centurion but not from this one. Isn't the stock Ragnar cable the same as the XLR 8 Graphene ($1700) available at Noble?

Attachments

• 20221021_215840.jpg
    20221021_215840.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #38,479 of 87,685
IFi Gold Bar incoming. It seems that there is some stock in Europe, in France and Germany.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #38,481 of 87,685
I understand where you're coming from but I actually like the word hype because there is to my knowledge no better word to capture how you're feeling or what you're doing when you're feeling joyful and excited about something new and want to convey that joy and excitement to others. Genuine hype I think is natural and good and one of the things all of us are continually seeking. The negative connotation of the term comes from false or insincere hype, which I think is better labeled shilling.
Yes, I like the term when used to describe to that sense of excitement building, but not when it’s levelled against someone negatively for expressing that excitement.

Shilling probably is a better term but it traditionally would have meant someone was being paid/ receiving a commission to promote something. I guess the equivalent in this hobby now would be receiving a free device and then unnaturally promoting it.

I’ll try to promote the correct type of “hype” after listening to both Turi Ti and SM in the coming days.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #38,482 of 87,685
Shilling probably is a better term but it traditionally would have meant someone was being paid/ receiving a commission to promote something. I guess the equivalent in this hobby now would be receiving a free device and then unnaturally promoting it.

I've found there are different sorts of shilling. Some people shill for others or for money, some shill because they want power and influence, some shill themselves because they're trying to project an image or brand themselves somehow. I used to get accused of shilling a lot because of my tendency to gush about stuff that I love-- but that's just what I do. Ultimately I guess each situation needs to be judged on its own terms. Very much looking forward to your thoughts on the SM and TT.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #38,484 of 87,685
@armstrj2 - a shame you didn't have SM already! Though I am likely down this direction again next weekend...
Yes, a bit of a pain as it is in Ireland but not made its way though the postal system yet. I’ll have it for a few days so we can work something out.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #38,485 of 87,685
I used to get accused of shilling a lot because of my tendency to gush about stuff that I love-- but that's just what I do. Ultimately I guess each situation needs to be judged on its own terms. Very much looking forward to your thoughts on the SM and TT.
But that’s organic, after you lived with the product for a while, and the shiny new toy phase is over. And honestly that’s the best praise that a product can get.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #38,486 of 87,685
I just tested stock Ragnar Cabel on IMR Avalon(800$) I was shocked by the result, they scaled to heaven in clarity on mids and high ends. I can expect something like that from end game cable like Centurion but not from this one. Isn't the stock Ragnar cable the same as the XLR 8 Graphene ($1700) available at Noble?
Aah, I miss the days when a $1700 cable was considered ‘end game’

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #38,487 of 87,685
Oh boy :) I have the Ode To Laura and Viking Ragnar demos from Musicteck, full reviews of both coming soon. I also borrowed the FTS again, wanted to give it another try, especially compared to OTL. Everything is breaking in now, but initial impressions are very, very impressive. All listening on my LP6 Ti AE. (my dad's little HiBy is just for break-in purposes)

The OTL is fantastic, with probably the best bass of any cable I have ever heard. While being pure copper it performs with the technicalities of some exotic hybrid, with some of the magic warmth and note weight. It is very powerful, tight and punchy, with great energy. As it breaks in the high end is opening up nicely, with that Eletech signature golden sparkle. Easily my favorite of theirs, and the most natural and realistic. Eric recommended 140hrs, so I will wait for final impressions, but really really good. Pairs phenomenally with Jewel, perfect blend of energy, staging, and high end, plus that bass.... hot damn it is GOAT for sure.

The Ragnar deserves its hype, it is fabulously resolving and highly musical. Great neutral bass with superb DD timbre and texture, amazing weightier forward mids, and some of the best extended (albeit energetic) treble I have heard. It is so detailed when switching back and forth with Jewel, the Jewel almost sounds veiled and dark... hard to imagine. I have been trying it with both stock cable as well as Orpheus and FTS, I personally think it benefits from some copper warmth and extra bass weight, stock focuses too much on the high end for me. Ragnar + Orphy is wild! I could imagine that with longer listening periods it could be fatiguing, especially with that additional treble energy, but I haven't had a chance for longer periods and won't say anything conclusive yet. Will defer real impressions until it's had a chance to really break in, but it is immensely impressive so far.

I am unfortunately having some trouble with the fit, as the nozzle angle is a bit weird causing it to sit quite far out of my ears, but that could easily be a personal anatomy thing. I have some Spinfit W1s arriving today and we'll see if that helps. So far my favorite tips sonically are KBear07, softens the high end a bit.

Stay tuned for more! :)

20221021_101923-01.jpeg20221021_101957-01.jpeg20221021_102009-01.jpeg
Ragnar + Orph + a warmer source like M9 is sublime to me

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #38,489 of 87,685
OG vs Ti coming up... looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
IMG_5943.jpg

Yay, its here!!
Initial cold thoughts...will absolutely change.

These are quite a bit more comfortable and lighter to wear than the somewhat heavy OG's. The cable as has been mentioned is superb and has class leading hardware. It just feels good plugging in the Liquid stuff.

Ti is a bit more refined and textured with more extended treble. Stage is roughly ("roughly") the same. Imaging/Separation has been improved a smidge. The tuning has much more going on than just raising the treble. Much sweeter than Turii OG. Turii OG is a straight cold punk, Ti is softer. Ti bass is more defined and has better separation, possibly a tiny bit more rumble, but does have a slightly smaller overall footprint. I think I prefer the OG's midrange and the Ti's treble and bass. Great, I may have to keep both of them 😒

I expect more changes as it gets more playtime and everything relaxes. It feels a little wooly at the extreme ends of detail where DD's usually improve at over a couple hundred hours or so. But it's the 1st set in a long time that is mostly listenable out of the box for me. Likely has much to do with my familiarity with the original, but a very strong start indeed.

Overall I feel this release is a big enough update to exist on its own terms. It isn't just a cable upgrade and brighter tuning or anything so basic. More to come.

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #38,490 of 87,685
@JordonEA I got mail :D

IMG_1037.JPG

59D4D11D-B5C7-4C92-8AA9-945A4BCB4823.JPEG

Really liking these so far. The bass is excellent and my fear of strident/forward upper mids seems to be unfounded. Treble is wonderful too...not Anni levels perhaps...agree with sentiment that this is something of a baby Annihilator...but with better quality bass. Will report more later.
Could you compare to Supermoon? I have budget for one only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back