The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 21, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #38,491 of 88,594
@JordonEA I got mail :D

IMG_1037.JPG

59D4D11D-B5C7-4C92-8AA9-945A4BCB4823.JPEG

Really liking these so far. The bass is excellent and my fear of strident/forward upper mids seems to be unfounded. Treble is wonderful too...not Anni levels perhaps...agree with sentiment that this is something of a baby Annihilator...but with better quality bass. Will report more later.
Another one is was considering getting. Did u get this from musicteck? I thought it was still a preorder. Next question: if u have any metal music, let me know how this sounds. That’s 80% of my listening..19% jazz/fusion…1% pop
Thanks!

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #38,492 of 88,594
I understand where you're coming from but I actually like the word hype because there is to my knowledge no better word to capture how you're feeling or what you're doing when you're feeling joyful and excited about something new and want to convey that joy and excitement to others. Genuine hype I think is natural and good and one of the things all of us are continually seeking. The negative connotation of the term comes from false or insincere hype, which I think is better labeled shilling.
I would say that most people are still believe "hype" are out of good intention, or at least geniuine love. The potential negative side of the "hype" is, that love is not forever. It's like a guy is falling in love with a beautiful girl, until he see an even more beautiful one showing up. In our hobby, that is very common and expected.

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #38,493 of 88,594
Stay tuned for more!
Looks like your FT / OTL is going to mimic my impressions but I hope you will do a more extensive write-up. Also getting more and more interested in Ragnar as your previous leads haven't been too bad for me!

The gold bar has a copper chassis. As to whether that has an effect on sound, I have no clue.
Could be EMI related?

A parcel I'm expecting that left China about 10 days ago, appears to now be in Dublin, Ohio 😬 I'm hoping it's a glitch in the tracking!

Screenshot_20221021_215458.jpg
Next thing you'll read is that it's delivered! Happened to me just 2 weeks ago: A parcel travels from the other side of the planet, gets delivered in the Netherlands, and the person who supposed to get it stays empty handed. Huh? Yet another of my logistical nightmares and I now think there hasn't been 1 (one!) parcel that has been delivered according to plan out of the last 5.

drftr

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #38,494 of 88,594
Oct 21, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #38,495 of 88,594
Oct 22, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #38,496 of 88,594
Today I had the great pleasure of visiting Addicted To Audio in Melbourne with @Damz87 @lycos and @jaydoc1, despite the weather being... typical of Melbourne.

With the rain behind us, we settled in to a couple of hours' listening & chatting at A2A's portable audio counter. Special thanks to Ernie who was kind enough to arrive for work early to be of service, Ernie owns a pair of Monarch MKII's and is quite a fan of them.

I won't go into great detail since it's very difficult to hear minute differences between transducers, cables & sources in such (relatively) noisy conditions. However we certainly gathered a solid 'general overview' of the IEMs were fortunate enough to hear, so I'll present some of my thoughts here.

UM Multiverse Mentor
These are the most impressive IEMs I've ever heard. A fraction physically larger than I'd like, with a heavy but extremely high quality cable. Possibly the most resolving earphones in existence, with amazing separation, a very large soundstage, the best non-DD bass I've heard (enough to fully satisfy my taste), an extremely smooth and forward midrange... gosh I'd like more time with them to form a more detailed opinion but based on this morning's demo they may be as close to perfect as today's technology will allow. They're extremely full-bodied however, perhaps a touch too much so with the wrong source & would fair best with something laidback most likely.

Noble Viking Ragnar
I spent far less time with the IEMs that followed so my impressions will be briefer. Ragnar felt extremely well made and looks unique. They seem tuned to deliver as much detail as possible and seemed a tad thin, especially right after the full-bodied Mentor. Taken alone Ragnar were extremely impressive, but competition is quite stiff at the high-end these days so I am forced to nitpick that their midrange wasn't as satisfying as I'd like, and tonality was not up to Mentor standards. I did listen to them with some classical and they sounded brilliant - leading me to suspect they'd be a great match for the genre, but the problem is there are many other choices in this price bracket that I suspect would be better all-rounders. Ragnar seem suited to someone who particularly wants a reference-style IEM that's tuned on the dry & thin side.

Astell & Kern Pathfinder
These weren't on my radar at all but they really impressed me. They are very sparkly up top - which happens to be an IEM tuning guilty pleasure I've always had a weakness for, they featured terrific bass impact and an extremely wide, open soundstage. I didn't listen for long enough to detect if coherency is an issue or not, but nothing jumped out in that regard. Physically they are gorgeous, extremely well made and quite small compared to some of the TOTL hybrids. The cable felt unacceptably cheap however, and I would feel compelled to change it. That said I do hope to audition these again, and don't always find myself saying that.

Noble Kublai Khan
Unfortunately I didn't have much time with these, and well... they mustn't have had much impact on me since I can't actually remember the particulars of how they sounded except that I did enjoy them, and may have even preferred their tuning to Ragnar's. This is not to suggest they were lacklustre at all, but when you demo IEMs alongside the Mentor... others have a tendency to melt into the background alongside "the rest".

Dita Dream XLS
Somehow I had missed demoing these previously. It turns out I wasn't missing much, they have a very flat, underwhelming character and the shells aren't especially small or comfortably shaped either. No way would I ever choose these over my A8000 or IE600.

Thieaudio Monarch MKII
I gave these another listen, having not been dramatically impressed the last time I heard them. They're actually quite good, the DD is a little slow but if you can forgive them that they're quite satisfying particularly for the price, offering more than a taste of truly-TOTL offerings for a fraction of the investment. I prefer them to the Thieaudio V16 Divinity since they seem better tuned and less bloated. However, to suggest the Monarch MKII compete at the very summit alongside the likes of Mentor, Traillii, Jewel and their ilk (as some reviewers have done) is to believe in a fairytale or confess the limits of one's hearing.

Sincere thanks once again to Addicted to Audio for hosting us. All of us who attended greatly appreciate the tremendous role they've played in putting Melbourne on the portable audio map, giving us invaluable opportunities to demo products we would otherwise have to purchase blind.

Mentor is the new king. Long may he reign.

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #38,497 of 88,594
Today I had the great pleasure of visiting Addicted To Audio in Melbourne with @Damz87 @lycos and @jaydoc1, despite the weather being... typical of Melbourne.

With the rain behind us, we settled in to a couple of hours' listening & chatting at A2A's portable audio counter. Special thanks to Ernie who was kind enough to arrive for work early to be of service, Ernie owns a pair of Monarch MKII's and is quite a fan of them.

I won't go into great detail since it's very difficult to hear minute differences between transducers, cables & sources in such (relatively) noisy conditions. However we certainly gathered a solid 'general overview' of the IEMs were fortunate enough to hear, so I'll present some of my thoughts here.

UM Multiverse Mentor
These are the most impressive IEMs I've ever heard. A fraction physically larger than I'd like, with a heavy but extremely high quality cable. Possibly the most resolving earphones in existence, with amazing separation, a very large soundstage, the best non-DD bass I've heard (enough to fully satisfy my taste), an extremely smooth and forward midrange... gosh I'd like more time with them to form a more detailed opinion but based on this morning's demo they may be as close to perfect as today's technology will allow. They're extremely full-bodied however, perhaps a touch too much so with the wrong source & would fair best with something laidback most likely.

Noble Viking Ragnar
I spent far less time with the IEMs that followed so my impressions will be briefer. Ragnar felt extremely well made and looks unique. They seem tuned to deliver as much detail as possible and seemed a tad thin, especially right after the full-bodied Mentor. Taken alone Ragnar were extremely impressive, but competition is quite stiff at the high-end these days so I am forced to nitpick that their midrange wasn't as satisfying as I'd like, and tonality was not up to Mentor standards. I did listen to them with some classical and they sounded brilliant - leading me to suspect they'd be a great match for the genre, but the problem is there are many other choices in this price bracket that I suspect would be better all-rounders. Ragnar seem suited to someone who particularly wants a reference-style IEM that's tuned on the dry & thin side.

Astell & Kern Pathfinder
These weren't on my radar at all but they really impressed me. They are very sparkly up top - which happens to be an IEM tuning guilty pleasure I've always had a weakness for, they featured terrific bass impact and an extremely wide, open soundstage. I didn't listen for long enough to detect if coherency is an issue or not, but nothing jumped out in that regard. Physically they are gorgeous, extremely well made and quite small compared to some of the TOTL hybrids. The cable felt unacceptably cheap however, and I would feel compelled to change it. That said I do hope to audition these again, and don't always find myself saying that.

Noble Kublai Khan
Unfortunately I didn't have much time with these, and well... they mustn't have had much impact on me since I can't actually remember the particulars of how they sounded except that I did enjoy them, and may have even preferred their tuning to Ragnar's. This is not to suggest they were lacklustre at all, but when you demo IEMs alongside the Mentor... others have a tendency to melt into the background alongside "the rest".

Dita Dream XLS
Somehow I had missed demoing these previously. It turns out I wasn't missing much, they have a very flat, underwhelming character and the shells aren't especially small or comfortably shaped either. No way would I ever choose these over my A8000 or IE600.

Thieaudio Monarch MKII
I gave these another listen, having not been dramatically impressed the last time I heard them. They're actually quite good, the DD is a little slow but if you can forgive them that they're quite satisfying particularly for the price, offering more than a taste of truly-TOTL offerings for a fraction of the investment. I prefer them to the Thieaudio V16 Divinity since they seem better tuned and less bloated. However, to suggest the Monarch MKII compete at the very summit alongside the likes of Mentor, Traillii, Jewel and their ilk (as some reviewers have done) is to believe in a fairytale or confess the limits of one's hearing.

Sincere thanks once again to Addicted to Audio for hosting us. All of us who attended greatly appreciate the tremendous role they've played in putting Melbourne on the portable audio map, giving us invaluable opportunities to demo products we would otherwise have to purchase blind.

Similar impression as I did in CanJam. In retrospect, I might prefer Mason FS to Mentor if I demoed them again (as you mentioned Mentor might be a little bit too much in full bodiness). Also if I could only have one more IEM and I had to choose between Mentor and Odyssey, I might choose Mentor.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #38,498 of 88,594

UM Multiverse Mentor

Noble Viking Ragnar

Astell & Kern Pathfinder

Noble Kublai Khan

Dita Dream XLS

Thieaudio Monarch MKII

Excellent write-up. Especially grateful for the first 2 as there's next to nothing written about them yet. Which is basically in line with that I can't seem to audit them anywhere either.

drftr

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #38,499 of 88,594
Could you compare to Supermoon? I have budget for one only.

Supermoon: More coherent (as a single driver), more resolving, also better extended, more refined, better textured, harder hitting bass... Supermoon is an IEM that I think was tuned around the bass as it is the gravitational centre of Supermoon's sound. Supermoon suffers from some glare in the upper mids from time to time, is source sensitive, and has a timbre that while mostly very good can be a little vibrant and crisp and not the most natural at times.

Gaea: Not as technical or resolving, here the mids & highs are the centre of attention, super well refined there, no glare or metallic-ness to the timbre though BA plastic-ness rears its head fro time to time. Bass is passable, decently extended, but definitely not the centre of the show. Highs are super well refined, nuanced, sweet and a joy to get lost in. Can be a shock coming from the more bass-centred Supermoon but once I settle in I really enjoy the tuning on its own terms.

Pound for pound the Supermoon still gets my vote but the I'm thinking Gaea would make a nice compliment to it and as it stands is very nice entry point to Elysian's addictive tuning.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #38,500 of 88,594

UM Multiverse Mentor

Noble Viking Ragnar

Astell & Kern Pathfinder

Noble Kublai Khan

Dita Dream XLS

Thieaudio Monarch MKII

I loved this.

Seeing all the hype around Mentor really makes me want to get one, and Im going to have to demo the Pathfinder again because I really did enjoy them.

Regardless, I think the biggest takeaway is being able to meet friends from this hobby and enjoy spending time with them 😊

Thank you for sharing your impressions!!

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #38,501 of 88,594
I sold my W2 a week after picking up a gold bar.

And @Natesdailies no impressions yet with the Xbass/Xspace/Turbo mode? You should try the modes out.

Screenshot_20221021-231658_Gallery.jpg

Tested it out. Not the biggest difference, but I like the mild bass boost that I get for Ragnar & Elysian X which are on the airer side. I was not so fond of it on the XE6.

After around 10 hours of hearing Ragnar, I can write a short feedback, first I want to say that this IEM needs some time to burn. Bass gained more weight after a few hours. Ragnar is one of the most attractive IEMs I heard in my whole life, I was always skeptical about analytical IEMs and had never bought them for myself, a short test period I had with several analytical IEMs gave me no positive impression at all, but Ragnar is a whole other level. They have a very linear sound, I didn't get tired even after many hours of listening. Wide soundstage, lots of details with a lot of emphasis on notes deliver a special experience and attraction of something that I always perceived as potentially boring. I read that several users have compared Ragnar with Traillii and Odin, it is correct regarding technical and details retrieval but I would compare Ragnar with the latest Acoustune flagship ($1900), except that Ragnar is a top tier flagship while Acoustune is mid- tier DD IEM.

Bass is tight, precise, fast, it can deliver a very good understanding of how different instruments on lows should sound in reality ( IMHO, I am not a big fan of live music )

Mids are not so forward but have good weight and can deliver an experience that I can compare with some IEMs which have a BC driver on mids that produces a feeling of instruments and vocals on physical level.

Treble has zero fatigue but at the same time is incredibly layered, it has more focus on upper highs than low highs in comparison to Odin or Xe6 treble wise.
It is my first positive experience with Noble after Sultan, which I think is the worst flagship ever (IMHO)
Nice impressions. I agree about Ragnar needing burn in time, the bass has opened up after 150+ hours on it. What I like the most about it is how it uses its large soundstage to render instruments in its own space with clarity. Traillii and Ragnar both share that characteristic. The difference is that the Traillii leans musical while Ragnar leans analytical. Strings with classical music is magical 🤌. I can hear the tiniest nuances (the bow quivering, the movement of the strings)

Do you like the stock cable? I feel that this cable is a bit too agressive in the upper freqs.
The stock cable was also on the intense side for me. It could be a source related thing.

The OTL is fantastic, with probably the best bass of any cable I have ever heard. While being pure copper it performs with the technicalities of some exotic hybrid, with some of the magic warmth and note weight. It is very powerful, tight and punchy, with great energy. As it breaks in the high end is opening up nicely, with that Eletech signature golden sparkle. Easily my favorite of theirs, and the most natural and realistic. Eric recommended 140hrs, so I will wait for final impressions, but really really good. Pairs phenomenally with Jewel, perfect blend of energy, staging, and high end, plus that bass.... hot damn it is GOAT for sure.

The Ragnar deserves its hype, it is fabulously resolving... Ragnar + Orphy is wild! I could imagine that with longer listening periods it could be fatiguing, especially with that additional treble energy, but I haven't had a chance for longer periods and won't say anything conclusive yet.
Excited for your full review. @SteveK27 is arranging an Orpheus demo, keen on hearing the Ragnar & Orphy combo.

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #38,502 of 88,594
What iem's has the best synergy with SP3000 so far? I too interested with UM Multiverse Mentor, has anyone pair it with SP3000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back