The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #37,306 of 87,827
Supermoon is Alex's
Wow... Last time I saw something similar was in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Hope it's not as intense as it looks. Chances are the bass shelf attenuates this, right?

Keywords for me not to make a blind purchase ranked in order:

Treble piercing
Fatiguing upper mids
Light on bass
Analyze the music vs feel the music
Boring
Small stage especially for top tier also small stage for a totl (different things)
The Turii Ti has you covered.

Hey Coolers :)

Cross-posting from the Noble thread:

I’ve just posted a review of the Noble Kublai Khan here
A really awesome IEM that sounds as beautiful as it looks 😍
In a week I will be able to tell whether you were paid for the great review :wink:

drftr

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #37,308 of 87,827
I can confirm it's good stuff. Honestly I found Kublai Khan more exciting of a listen vs the Viking Rangar.
I've read quite some reviews about the KK but they're extremely positive without any exception. I may prefer a more W shaped balance but I'm looking forward to demo them.

drftr

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #37,309 of 87,827
I've read quite some reviews about the KK but they're extremely positive without any exception. I may prefer a more W shaped balance but I'm looking forward to demo them.

drftr
I think the main “issue” with KK for some will be the thinner/colder lower mids and perhaps it’ll be too shy in the mid bass. But from a technical point of view, I find it pretty hard to fault other than it not being quite as exciting as other IEM’s, and it’s imaging being a little bit hazy.

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #37,310 of 87,827
I think the main “issue” with KK for some will be the thinner/colder lower mids and perhaps it’ll be too shy in the mid bass. But from a technical point of view, I find it pretty hard to fault other than it not being quite as exciting as other IEM’s, and it’s imaging being a little bit hazy.
Aren't leaner mid bass and lower mids one of the main reasons that the technicals can come across as excellent? I thought too much warmth in those areas often is a burden for a top notch presentation. But perhaps that's too much of a generalization?

drftr

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #37,311 of 87,827
New toy arrived today: Supermoon CIEM (Artist Fit) :). Getting a new cable made for it, which will arrive later on.

Supermoon.jpeg

Keywords for me not to make a blind purchase ranked in order:

Boring
Treble piercing
Fatiguing upper mids
Light on bass
Analyze the music vs feel the music
Boring
Small stage especially for top tier also small stage for a totl (different things)
When too many people say "it's great but doesn't add anything to my library" (code word for meh without offending people. The audiophile term for "i would go out with you if i wasn't in a committed relationship"aka friend zoned😂😂😂 )

If you're in the U.S., you can reach out to Campfire and ask for a demo, it was easy to get one when I did it back in August. It's not an IEM for all genres for me (I'd need a more realistic timbre for that), but I enjoy it with electronic stuff a lot. Of course, others can be different and even use it as an all-rounder.

I certainly wouldn't call it light on bass or boring, nor do I agree with those other things you've mentioned.

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #37,312 of 87,827
New toy arrived today: Supermoon CIEM (Artist Fit) :). Getting a new cable made for it, which will arrive later on.

Supermoon.jpeg

If you're in the U.S., you can reach out to Campfire and ask for a demo, it was easy to get one when I did it back in August. It's not an IEM for all genres for me (I'd need a more realistic timbre for that), but I enjoy it with electronic stuff a lot. Of course, others can be different and even use it as an all-rounder.

I certainly wouldn't call it light on bass or boring, nor do I agree with those other things you've mentioned.

Nice how does it sound relative to the uni?

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #37,313 of 87,827
Nice how does it sound relative to the uni?

Tough to say anything accurate about that since I'd need to A/B a universal to my CIEM, and I haven't heard the universal demo since early September. I'd say slightly more treble emphasis though based off of memory, but still within a tolerable amount for me.

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #37,314 of 87,827
Instead of forking over money for a Traillii or Orpheus you could also have your ear wax removed...

It's a bit of a recurring problem for me (probably because I need ear plugs to be able to sleep) so when making an appointment I came across these pictures that I thought I should share here. It's easy to imagine what an excess of ear wax will do to your perception of an IEM. Might be your best investment in the hobby ever.

Before and After Photos.png

drftr

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #37,315 of 87,827
Supermoon’s 8-9k is quite peaky in this graph which means potential sibilance for my ears. Of course listening directly could be different, just saying by looking at this graph. I think IE600’s graph also has that 8k peak, that’s why I sold it.
That measurement is of the UIEM. I don't know how closely/perfectly Campfire match the CIEM to the UIEM demo and Supermoon is a CIEM offering only for now. Imagining how the CIEM's treble will graph is quite unpredictable because everyone's ear and canal shapes are different and all CIEMs don't measure perfectly the same. In a lot of cases, CIEM's treble is slightly warmer than the UIEM because of deeper insertion and snugger fit but it might not always be the case and unless people graph their Supermoon CIEMs, we can't really say.

Wow... Last time I saw something similar was in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Hope it's not as intense as it looks. Chances are the bass shelf attenuates this, right?
You'll have to ask @twister6 that since he has the Supermoon UIEM. I merely bounced the graphs because people here were curious and I had access to graphs of both. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #37,316 of 87,827
Starting my first night with the fabled Elysian X. After three hours with it so far, I can tell its something special. 🥰.

As a fan of electronic music, Elysians have been something that I've been curious about. Huge thanks to @Blanchot for letting me buy his. I couldn't have imagined finding one at this stage of the game.

Screenshot_20221005-235307_Gallery.jpg

I believe this particular unit (#8) originally belonged to @Damz87. Coincidentally, I asked him a while ago on the Elysian thread if the X would be a good fit for for me. Somehow, it ended up here in Canada.

Screenshot_20221006-000158_Gallery-01.jpeg

This X is attached to the Brise Audio NAOBI-LE cable that Blanchot purchased. So far I like the ergonomics of it. The Venom is something I might explore later.

Early impressions:

- I hear a mild V shape. It is darker than the Traillii but has great speed and resolution.

-Female vocals with Trance is slightly "tucked" but not to a distracting level. X has great upper mids. This pulls the timbre slightly towards the airy / ethereal direction. Will test other genres later.

- The bass is quite explosive, punchy and smooth. EDM synth rips are tactille and euphoric. Coming from the XE6, I hear more sub bass and a lot less mid bass. This combination comes off more "balanced" to me cross genres. The bass shelf is higher than the Traillii which is right for my electronic preferences 👌.

-The macro dynamics are impressive. This is a key ingredient for me for energetic music. Soundstage width is about the same as the Ragnar but the X has more vertical depth. Kickdrums enter and leave in a satisfying way.

-The treble extention is nothing like I've ever heard. The only thing that might come close is the Viking Ragnar. I am amazed at how present and clean it is. Cymbal strikes priiiistiiine. For most songs, it's as if theres several extra gradients of decay that I haven't heard. The difference between the X and Ragnar is that the X does it in a way that doesnt come off harsh or fatiguing.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #37,317 of 87,827
Oct 6, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #37,319 of 87,827
Kublai Khan and Eros S landed, initial impressions to follow, but I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to multiple drivers after being just single DDs for about a week... mental burn-in required.

Got the same set with you, but without "Kublai" :smiley: :smiley:

IMG_4624.JPG

btw, is it worth upgrade Noble Khan to Noble Viking Ragnar ? For Noble Khan, i mainly use it for Violin, Cello and Orchestra only.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #37,320 of 87,827
Two different sound signatures.
I use KK for a while. It's is more for EDM, modern pop. It has more pronounced low end (thanks to BCD). It reminds me of XE6 a lot.
I demoed VR for an hour and it's better for Jazz, Vocals and Classical. Still contemplating if I want to add it to my collection. I already have FuSang for Vocal music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back