The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #37,276 of 89,325
Twilight vs turi vs supermoon stage please?
I think right now all we can do is extrapolate what that would be. Once @Scuba Devils hears Supermoon, we will be in a better place. It's all on you buddy. hehe.
Twilight is the uknown vs. Supermoon.
SM is too difficult to listen to, given the lack of universals...not sure why CA decided that it would be custom only
I'll keep an eye out for Turii on the classifieds. Fourte i'm interested in hearing, but no local dealers with it still.
It's likely CFA did it to sew up all the possible bad combinations of tips and fits that make the 'moon either amazing or not very special.
People singing its praises have customs or were lucky enough to get good synergy with their gear and luck with an ear anatomy that it works with.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #37,277 of 89,325
SM is too difficult to listen to, given the lack of universals...not sure why CA decided that it would be custom only
I'll keep an eye out for Turii on the classifieds. Fourte i'm interested in hearing, but no local dealers with it still.
Yes. I got caught up in hype and made a huge purchase blind on an iem i couldn't return before. Trying my best to make sure that don't happen again. Never can say never though in this hobby though. 😅

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #37,278 of 89,325
Not many iems can compete with Supermoon's resolution. That's its super power. What Supermoon fails for me in vs. Turii is timbral accuracy, realism, dynamism, soundstage/imaging and the all important engagement factor. All superior on Turii.
I have not heard Turii Ti nor Twilight, but Turii OG is a darker more bassy Turii Ti, closer in spirit to Twilight. I don't know of anyone yet who has heard all 3 Softears single DD's + Supermoon to fully compare. Turii makes me dance with excitement. Supermoon makes me stop and diagnose the music and wonder why things sound wrong.
Supermoon is too bright for me, overloaded in upper mids. Its bass was also nothing special, sounding more like a rubber diaphragm than a speaker system. Fast yes, but the decay sounds artificial.
The 'moon is also extremely tip, fit, and source dependent. N8ii is a pretty bad pairing. N6ii Ti was decent even though overall I still didn't like it. The gold Sony's and warmer leaning daps are a better bet to achieve a good synergy result.
When I demoed @Rockwell75 's SM during CanJam for very short period of time, I had the same feeling as you mentioned above: too bright. However, after I received my P1 Max planar IEM, I noticed that proper seal is crucial for planar IEM. I was running one night with P1 Max with headband wrap the IEM inside my ears and I suddenly found the P1 Max's bass is not as weak I thought, even though the quantity is still not a lot, but the quality is actually very good and also very impactful. P1 Max as a $99 cheap chifi IEM actually started to grow on me afterwards.

Different drivers do have their unique characters. However, so far some of the best bass I heard came from DD, DD with BCD, BA with BCD, and Planar (though it is full size headphone).

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #37,279 of 89,325
New poll. Working in reverse: If you had to choose, what is the most expendible IEM in your collection at the moment?
Focus EDM, the HBB's bass-head recommendation.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #37,280 of 89,325
When I demoed @Rockwell75 's SM during CanJam for very short period of time, I had the same feeling as you mentioned above: too bright. However, after I received my P1 Max planar IEM, I noticed that proper seal is crucial for planar IEM. I was running one night with P1 Max with headband wrap the IEM inside my ears and I suddenly found the P1 Max's bass is not as weak I thought, even though the quantity is still not a lot, but the quality is actually very good and also very impactful. P1 Max as a $99 cheap chifi IEM actually started to grow on me afterwards.

Different drivers do have their unique characters. However, so far some of the best bass I heard came from DD, DD with BCD, BA with BCD, and Planar (though it is full size headphone).
Since we are talking about Planars, has anyone heard the Golden Planar GL-AMT 16 yet, since it is a new TOTL Planar IEM? 😁

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #37,281 of 89,325
I'm surprised you say that, I hear SM to have a larger (wider/deeper) stage than even Z1R, and that's a big stage.

SM's staging and imaging is up there with the very best imho. SM impressions collectively have reminded me why it’s of preeminent importance to judge with my own ears.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #37,282 of 89,325
Since we are talking about Planars, has anyone heard the Golden Planar GL-AMT 16 yet, since it is a new TOTL Planar IEM? 😁
From an unknown brand, I guess only professional reviewers have the motivation or interest to try it out.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #37,283 of 89,325
SM's staging and imaging is up there with the very best imho. SM impressions collectively have reminded me why it’s of preeminent importance to judge with my own ears.
You are lucky to have the proper seal, when I demoed your SM I believe I did not have the right seal and therefore I did not find it impressive. You can try to pull SM slightly off your ear to find out what may sound like.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #37,284 of 89,325
I think right now all we can do is extrapolate what that would be. Once @Scuba Devils hears Supermoon, we will be in a better place. It's all on you buddy. hehe.
Twilight is the uknown vs. Supermoon.

How about a graph comparison in the meantime? 😉

Twilight is my measurement and Supermoon is Alex's (@twister6 ) on the same IEC60318-4 (IEC711) setup.

Softears Twilight vs Campfire Supermoon.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #37,285 of 89,325
I noticed that proper seal is crucial for planar IEM
Proper seal is crucial for all IEM's. Personally I feel no one should post impressions if they feel their seal is an issue at all. Just post that instead.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #37,286 of 89,325
Yeah basically seal is crucial for all IEMs in my experience-- you get no bass response otherwise (among other related issues).

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #37,287 of 89,325
How about a graph comparison in the meantime? 😉

Twilight is my measurement and Supermoon is Alex's (@twister6 ) on the same IEC60318-4 (IEC711) setup.

Softears Twilight vs Campfire Supermoon.jpg
Thanks for this. Very illuminating.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #37,288 of 89,325
Proper seal is crucial for all IEM's. Personally I feel no one should post impressions if they feel their seal is an issue at all. Just post that instead.
Yes, however, some IEMs are more tricky than others and for those IEMs it is hard to tell if the tips form the proper seal or not, you have to do a tip rolling to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back