The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #37,261 of 90,615
Anyone heard (of) these IEMs?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/gold-planar-gl-amt16

04465_8d078ccd-fd85-497c-942d-ab591febcfce.jpg

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #37,263 of 90,615
From what ive read about twlight's technical performance, it's a step behind turii - which i doubt can keep up to supermoon's resolution
Not many iems can compete with Supermoon's resolution. That's its super power. What Supermoon fails for me in vs. Turii is timbral accuracy, realism, dynamism, soundstage/imaging and the all important engagement factor. All superior on Turii.
I have not heard Turii Ti nor Twilight, but Turii OG is a darker more bassy Turii Ti, closer in spirit to Twilight. I don't know of anyone yet who has heard all 3 Softears single DD's + Supermoon to fully compare. Turii makes me dance with excitement. Supermoon makes me stop and diagnose the music and wonder why things sound wrong.
Supermoon is too bright for me, overloaded in upper mids. Its bass was also nothing special, sounding more like a rubber diaphragm than a speaker system. Fast yes, but the decay sounds artificial.
The 'moon is also extremely tip, fit, and source dependent. N8ii is a pretty bad pairing. N6ii Ti was decent even though overall I still didn't like it. The gold Sony's and warmer leaning daps are a better bet to achieve a good synergy result.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #37,264 of 90,615
Not many iems can compete with Supermoon's resolution. That's its super power. What Supermoon fails for me in vs. Turii is timbral accuracy, realism, dynamism, soundstage/imaging and the all important engagement factor. All superior on Turii.
I have not heard Turii Ti nor Twilight, but Turii OG is a darker more bassy Turii Ti, closer in spirit to Twilight. I don't know of anyone yet who has heard all 3 Softears single DD's + Supermoon to fully compare. Turii makes me dance with excitement. Supermoon makes me stop and diagnose the music and wonder why things sound wrong.
Supermoon is too bright for me, overloaded in upper mids. Its bass was also nothing special, sounding more like a rubber diaphragm than a speaker system. Fast yes, but the decay sounds artificial.
The 'moon is also extremely tip, fit, and source dependent. N8ii is a pretty bad pairing. N6ii Ti was decent even though overall I still didn't like it. The gold Sony's and warmer leaning daps are a better bet to achieve a good synergy result.
By that account, Turii/Ti will be competitive for the best IEMs in the world. 😲 Because to me SM already isn't that far off (as a CIEM, with the right source).

So I definitely hope to hear the Turii siblings one day.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #37,265 of 90,615
By that account, Turii/Ti will be competitive for the best IEMs in the world
I don't want to oversell Turii, or even hype it since it's practically unavailable to purchase. The summit fi details I find valuable in IEM's were just not part of Supermoon's arsenal for my tastes.
Library and genre leanings + a complimentary chain may make the ultimate difference for people. A metalhead, in theory, would be less impressed than an electronic or pop based listener.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #37,266 of 90,615
how about soundstage? Turrii vs Supermoon vs Forte Noir

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #37,267 of 90,615
I don't want to oversell Turii, or even hype it since it's practically unavailable to purchase. The summit fi details I find valuable in IEM's were just not part of Supermoon's arsenal for my tastes.
Library and genre leanings + a complimentary chain may make the ultimate difference for people. A metalhead, in theory, would be less impressed than an electronic or pop based listener.
This is true. I wouldn't know about metal so I defer to you for that genre. I agree SM is definitely not an all-genre, all-recording all-rounder. I prefer IE600, for example, for the very reasons you mention, for some less-than-perfect vocal recordings.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #37,268 of 90,615
New poll. Working in reverse: If you had to choose, what is the most expendible IEM in your collection at the moment?
Besides some chi-fi stuff, for real collection candidates, it would be Technics TZ700. Going to probably sell that off soon.

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #37,269 of 90,615
how about soundstage? Turrii vs Supermoon vs Forte Noir
Noir > Turii > Supermoon

SM stage isn't small, I would say medium large? The feeling I was left with was "adequate". No problems with it, it's not a defining feature for me though.
Supermoon's stand out features were it's coherency, detail retrieval, and layering/separation. Unfortunately the tuning was not really up my alley and minute technicalities likely suffered due to that fact alone.
You should definitely hear it and decide for yourself. I am getting used to being a bit of an anomaly. :sweat_smile:

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #37,270 of 90,615
New poll. Working in reverse: If you had to choose, what is the most expendible IEM in your collection at the moment?
Similar to others here, there’s a bunch of budget chifi sets gathering dust in a drawer somewhere that really need to be cleared out, but from the main collection, it would be the EE Legend X.

I’ve got a love/hate relationship with that IEM. It’s been nice to hear it again these last few weeks but I really struggle to feel engaged to my music when Im listening to it. All I hear are its faults and weaknesses, whereas with other IEM’s I’ll easily slip into that state where I forget about what gear I’m listening to. I’ll give it a bit more time but it’s probably gonna have to walk the plank soon.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #37,271 of 90,615
Noir > Turii > Supermoon

SM stage isn't small, I would say medium large? The feeling I was left with was "adequate". No problems with it, it's not a defining feature for me though.
Supermoon's stand out features were it's coherency, detail retrieval, and layering/separation. Unfortunately the tuning was not really up my alley and minute technicalities likely suffered due to that fact alone.
You should definitely hear it and decide for yourself. I am getting used to being a bit of an anomaly. :sweat_smile:
I'm surprised you say that, I hear SM to have a larger (wider/deeper) stage than even Z1R, and that's a big stage. Or maybe that's just a factor of its more open, layered, precise sound. Now you have me really curious about Turii as soundstage is one of my main IEM checklist items.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #37,272 of 90,615
Whew..... 😥😁. Was thinking about the supermoon vs softears. Softears it is for me. THANKS!

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #37,273 of 90,615
Noir > Turii > Supermoon

Twilight vs turi vs supermoon stage please?

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #37,274 of 90,615
Whew..... 😥😁. Was thinking about the supermoon vs softears. Softears it is for me. THANKS!
Goes without saying for every 1 somewhat negative take on the 'moon, there are 5 positives. Such is the Head-fi, lol.
But I think if you already are leaning towards what a single well executed DD can bring to the table, Softears is a great choice and value. Stellar tunings!

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #37,275 of 90,615
Noir > Turii > Supermoon

SM is too difficult to listen to, given the lack of universals...not sure why CA decided that it would be custom only
I'll keep an eye out for Turii on the classifieds. Fourte i'm interested in hearing, but no local dealers with it still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back