The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 15, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #89,311 of 90,230
Hello. I bought a FIR Xenon 6. I am excitedly waiting for his arrival next week and I will be looking forward to him. who else here has in-ear like this? what size ear fitting goes with it? spinfit w1? what would you recommend me to try?My ears are very sensitive to ear fit and it doesn't matter what I use, because if the material or size is wrong, it causes me physical pain, unfortunately.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #89,312 of 90,230
Quick little survey if anybody can answer, thank you 😊.. Which one do y’all prefer and why? IE900 or Singularity ?
I haven't heard ie900 but Singularity is easily my endgame item. By the way, can anyone give me advice on a after-market cable that makes female vocals sharper and airier? I am considering DDHifi BC130a. Thank guys

Attachments

• 20240511_163600.jpg
    20240511_163600.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
May 15, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #89,313 of 90,230
Hello. I bought a FIR Xenon 6. I am excitedly waiting for his arrival next week and I will be looking forward to him. who else here has in-ear like this? what size ear fitting goes with it? spinfit w1? what would you recommend me to try?My ears are very sensitive to ear fit and it doesn't matter what I use, because if the material or size is wrong, it causes me physical pain, unfortunately.
I love the XE6 truly, the only niggles are 1 the weight, which requires me to use those sticky silicon tips, not ideal though they sound good.
The second issue is isolation, not the best choice for a noisy waiting room for example.
I still have my XE6 it will stay, for 12 months it was my favorite, took a long time to get bored enough to want something else.

May 15, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #89,314 of 90,230
I love the XE6 truly, the only niggles are 1 the weight, which requires me to use those sticky silicon tips, not ideal though they sound good.
The second issue is isolation, not the best choice for a noisy waiting room for example.
I still have my XE6 it will stay, for 12 months it was my favorite, took a long time to get bored enough to want something else.
does spinfit w1 fit me easily?

May 15, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #89,315 of 90,230
Haven't heard Singularity but even if I love it, it won't replace IE900 for me. Easily the most comfortable IEM I have ever used (and I have 4 customs currently), and the bass is simply world-class. The rest isn't too shabby either. I sold it once, never again. It's one of my 'for life's IEMs even if something 'better' comes along.
I hear you. Have you tried the IE900 with the bespoke Brise cable? It's fantastic. And if you drive it from a Tsuranagi there's very little left to be desired. Amazing presence, the bass has much improved details, and the treble is perfectly dosed. With the stock cable is a tad bright, but the Brise cable calms it down.

May 15, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #89,316 of 90,230
I get the feeling that after the trend of manufacturers to put like 20 BA's 🤯 in IEMs, it's nice to see that there are more and more well implemented 1DDs coming out, and not rarely they blow all these overstuffed animals out of the water according to reviews😆.
Nah, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm loving my Himalaya.

What others would you recommend ( without taking price too much into account)??

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #89,317 of 90,230
I get the feeling that after the trend of manufacturers to put like 20 BA's 🤯 in IEMs, it's nice to see that there are more and more well implemented 1DDs coming out, and not rarely blow all these overstuffed animals out of the water 😆.
Nah, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm loving my Himalaya.

What others would you recommend ( without taking price too much into account)??
634ears, Custom made IEMs from a one man shop in Japan.

May 15, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #89,318 of 90,230
Following are the results from the two IEM brackets in the 2024 Watercooler Spring Top 3

Over $2k Bracket

Elysian Acoustic Labs Annihilator x20
Oriolus Traillii/Ti x20
Campfire Audio Trifecta x19

Fir Audio Xe6 x16
Subtonic STORM x14
Aroma Audio Fei Wan x13
Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor x12

Fir Audio Rn6 x11

Canpur CP622B x9
Vision Ears VEX x8
Noble Audio Viking x8
Unique Melody Amber Pearl x8
Empire Ears Raven x7
PMG Audio Apx x5
Elysian Acoustic Labs Dio x5
Empire Ears Legend X x5
Emprie Ears Odin x5
Melodic Artification Alter Ego x5

Here is the link to the raw survey data if anyone wants to see who voted for what:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGcxQfvDh4Z1Y2vd3FmKPflRCMef17sJcvmP4TDB3cY/edit?usp=sharing

These and other poll results linked on front page.

Thanks for another successful poll everyone!

I got 5 votes. I'm not even out yet!

Agreed. I would've put the Dio and the 7th Acoustic Asteria prototype if we're counting unfinished prototypes.

Make that 6

May 15, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #89,319 of 90,230
Oh boy, look what just arrived 🥰🤤 The new Luxury & Precision E7!

TKP - NJ SS Review - 3.jpg

After more than a year of waiting it's finally here, and let me tell you it was worth the wait. I have a full review coming but I wanted to share some impressions right away since I know many are quite interested. Just to be clear my unit is brand new, I've been listening constantly since it arrived, but that's only about 20 hrs, and I can hear it opening up a lot. After 100Hrs + it will for sure be different.

Right off the bat I can say this is the most analog Delta Sigma DAP I've ever heard, really. It's so natural and clear with plenty of the L&P magic in there. No digital glare whatsoever, wow. How they managed this sound in such a tiny box is beyond me, and to make it sound so organic and analog, it's nuts. Very detailed, open and airy, super transparent too. More on the neutral side, not overly thick, not bright or thin at all either. Other companies should take note of this, this is a masterclass in transparent tuning, graceful and refined, without being boring or flat. I hear amazing levels of micro details in the mids, very detailed and open treble, and deep punchy bass that is nicely textured. It's giving me major DMP vibes, that kind of grand stage with great details and a lot of air, technical but very analog - the DMP is a tad warmer and maybe thicker, but the technical side is similar.

While it is not R2R, they used the special 4497 AKM chips, like the DMP, and it is just fantastic. The new OS and UI is a huge step forward, we now have gapless, a search function that works very well, useable metadata browsing, lossless EQ, and adjustable op amp voltage. You can name your playlists too, it's all much more seamless and functional. The exclusive version has three separate tuning options, and while I largely prefer the HD, the other two are super cool as well. There is some hardware upgrades too, so anyone thinking about buying the E7 should really consider the Exclusive if it's available.

E7 Combined Web.jpg
IMG_3367.jpgIMG_3366.jpgIMG_3368.jpgIMG_3439.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg

I know that for some people the lack of streaming, or the closed UI is not for them. I'll say this now, if you NEED streaming, Android or Roon support, Wi-Fi, BT out, or even good battery life just don't bother with the E7. This DAP is music only, it was designed this way, and L&P isn't going to change this anytime soon, probably ever. This is a purist DAP, like their others, and the SQ speaks for itself. L&P chooses SQ over all else, tuning the FPGA for maximum tone, at the expense of battery life. So while the battery life isn't great compared to most DAPs, it's much better than AE, charges faster too, and more than worth the compromise for me.The new UI is leagues ahead of previous models, but don't expect it to perform like your phone, or the TOTL Android DAP either. It's basic, but basic done right. Rant over - but please please, if you need those options, or don't like a closed system, just let it be. There are so many choices out there, we're spoiled with options, so choose what you like best, for the use cases you need. :)

I love how fast you're in your music - just a quick button press, a few seconds of waiting and play. And how small at light it is, like the P6 Pro. The volume knob is very smooth with the right amount of resistance. Both 4.4 and 3.5 can be used PO or LO, you can choose this in the drop-down menu that also houses the usual stuff. I find it charges noticeably faster then my AE, but there is no QC or PD support, you need to use an old school USBC - USBA cable. The screen is much larger than before, lots of real estate for album art and controls. Side buttons have a nice click to them, very secure.

Compared to the AE - well they are very different. The AE is more dense, more impactful and punchy. I hear the E7 sounding a bit more detailed up top, also more sparkle and shine there, while the AE is more analog up top, and focuses more on texture and body. AE stage is bigger, it's more grand and massive sounding, the E7 is more clean and transparent, without the mid-bass bump or super mid forward tuning the AE has. AE stage is center focused with huge space all out ot the sides, the E7 stage is more spread to begin with. They are both very technical, but both are very analog sounding too. So far I may prefer the AE still, but as the E7 opens up I like it more and more - my Sony WM1ZM2 is already sold as its place in my collection has now been filled by the E7.

I think, for some people, maybe even most, the E7 will be an easier choice. Not only because it's cheaper, but because it's more neutral, more modern sounding, far more useable, and probably better for modern music, as the AE can be overly mid focused sometimes. The UI and general experience is no contest, the E7 is far superior here no surprise. I know a few who prefer the E7 already, especially for Electronic - I'm very curious for myself how I feel after a few weeks when it's fully opened up. I find the AE makes me feel things in my chest more, the thump of the drums and overall physical presentation. The E7 makes me focus on the details more, perhaps because the top end sounds more open and detailed. While it is impactful, it's more graceful, and less punchy.

IMG_3437.jpgIMG_3358.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg
IMG_3372.jpgIMG_3382.jpg

So, that's it for now. My full review will come in some weeks, once I've had a chance to really get used to it, but suffice to say, it is fantastic! I'm really blown away by what L&P has done here - color me very very impressed. Paired with the Traillii and SS cable this is a treat of natural and neutral excellence, with tons of space and air, along with a massive stage. Pitch black background, oodles of details, especially in the mids. Yummy. If anyone is on the fence about getting one, let me give you a gentle nudge in the E7's direction. Absolutely highest recommendation - just know what it is, and what it's not, before buying. I think Musicteck has one or two left :)

Have a great day everyone!

Wanted to add my 2c since I had a similar discussion with a few people after my N3Ultra review and its lack of Wi-Fi and BT due to interference with vacuum tubes. In case of N3U you don't have any other option for streaming but a wired USB-DAC mode. With E7, similar to P6Pro, we got BT Rx to use this DAP as a wireless DAC paired up with a smartphone for streaming :)

May 15, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #89,320 of 90,230
Oh boy, look what just arrived 🥰🤤 The new Luxury & Precision E7!

TKP - NJ SS Review - 3.jpg

After more than a year of waiting it's finally here, and let me tell you it was worth the wait. I have a full review coming but I wanted to share some impressions right away since I know many are quite interested. Just to be clear my unit is brand new, I've been listening constantly since it arrived, but that's only about 20 hrs, and I can hear it opening up a lot. After 100Hrs + it will for sure be different.

Right off the bat I can say this is the most analog Delta Sigma DAP I've ever heard, really. It's so natural and clear with plenty of the L&P magic in there. No digital glare whatsoever, wow. How they managed this sound in such a tiny box is beyond me, and to make it sound so organic and analog, it's nuts. Very detailed, open and airy, super transparent too. More on the neutral side, not overly thick, not bright or thin at all either. Other companies should take note of this, this is a masterclass in transparent tuning, graceful and refined, without being boring or flat. I hear amazing levels of micro details in the mids, very detailed and open treble, and deep punchy bass that is nicely textured. It's giving me major DMP vibes, that kind of grand stage with great details and a lot of air, technical but very analog - the DMP is a tad warmer and maybe thicker, but the technical side is similar.

While it is not R2R, they used the special 4497 AKM chips, like the DMP, and it is just fantastic. The new OS and UI is a huge step forward, we now have gapless, a search function that works very well, useable metadata browsing, lossless EQ, and adjustable op amp voltage. You can name your playlists too, it's all much more seamless and functional. The exclusive version has three separate tuning options, and while I largely prefer the HD, the other two are super cool as well. There is some hardware upgrades too, so anyone thinking about buying the E7 should really consider the Exclusive if it's available.

E7 Combined Web.jpg
IMG_3367.jpgIMG_3366.jpgIMG_3368.jpgIMG_3439.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg

I know that for some people the lack of streaming, or the closed UI is not for them. I'll say this now, if you NEED streaming, Android or Roon support, Wi-Fi, BT out, or even good battery life just don't bother with the E7. This DAP is music only, it was designed this way, and L&P isn't going to change this anytime soon, probably ever. This is a purist DAP, like their others, and the SQ speaks for itself. L&P chooses SQ over all else, tuning the FPGA for maximum tone, at the expense of battery life. So while the battery life isn't great compared to most DAPs, it's much better than AE, charges faster too, and more than worth the compromise for me.The new UI is leagues ahead of previous models, but don't expect it to perform like your phone, or the TOTL Android DAP either. It's basic, but basic done right. Rant over - but please please, if you need those options, or don't like a closed system, just let it be. There are so many choices out there, we're spoiled with options, so choose what you like best, for the use cases you need. :)

I love how fast you're in your music - just a quick button press, a few seconds of waiting and play. And how small at light it is, like the P6 Pro. The volume knob is very smooth with the right amount of resistance. Both 4.4 and 3.5 can be used PO or LO, you can choose this in the drop-down menu that also houses the usual stuff. I find it charges noticeably faster then my AE, but there is no QC or PD support, you need to use an old school USBC - USBA cable. The screen is much larger than before, lots of real estate for album art and controls. Side buttons have a nice click to them, very secure.

Compared to the AE - well they are very different. The AE is more dense, more impactful and punchy. I hear the E7 sounding a bit more detailed up top, also more sparkle and shine there, while the AE is more analog up top, and focuses more on texture and body. AE stage is bigger, it's more grand and massive sounding, the E7 is more clean and transparent, without the mid-bass bump or super mid forward tuning the AE has. AE stage is center focused with huge space all out ot the sides, the E7 stage is more spread to begin with. They are both very technical, but both are very analog sounding too. So far I may prefer the AE still, but as the E7 opens up I like it more and more - my Sony WM1ZM2 is already sold as its place in my collection has now been filled by the E7.

I think, for some people, maybe even most, the E7 will be an easier choice. Not only because it's cheaper, but because it's more neutral, more modern sounding, far more useable, and probably better for modern music, as the AE can be overly mid focused sometimes. The UI and general experience is no contest, the E7 is far superior here no surprise. I know a few who prefer the E7 already, especially for Electronic - I'm very curious for myself how I feel after a few weeks when it's fully opened up. I find the AE makes me feel things in my chest more, the thump of the drums and overall physical presentation. The E7 makes me focus on the details more, perhaps because the top end sounds more open and detailed. While it is impactful, it's more graceful, and less punchy.

IMG_3437.jpgIMG_3358.jpg
IMG_3362.jpg
IMG_3372.jpgIMG_3382.jpg

So, that's it for now. My full review will come in some weeks, once I've had a chance to really get used to it, but suffice to say, it is fantastic! I'm really blown away by what L&P has done here - color me very very impressed. Paired with the Traillii and SS cable this is a treat of natural and neutral excellence, with tons of space and air, along with a massive stage. Pitch black background, oodles of details, especially in the mids. Yummy. If anyone is on the fence about getting one, let me give you a gentle nudge in the E7's direction. Absolutely highest recommendation - just know what it is, and what it's not, before buying. I think Musicteck has one or two left :)

Have a great day everyone!
'Dumb' DAPs FTW! I hope brands keep catering to creatures like us.

May 15, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #89,321 of 90,230
Wanted to add my 2c since I had a similar discussion with a few people after my N3Ultra review and its lack of Wi-Fi and BT due to interference with vacuum tubes. In case of N3U you don't have any other option for streaming but a wired USB-DAC mode. With E7, similar to P6Pro, we got BT Rx to use this DAP as a wireless DAC paired up with a smartphone for streaming :)
You’re totally right, and I should have mentioned it. (I’m so used to my LP6AE I honestly forgot)

The E7 does BT in, which means you can stream to the DAP from your phone, or laptop etc, and then use the DAP as normal. It actually works extremely well, in LDAC the SQ is fantastic. When I had the P6 Pro I would put in my IEMs, keep the DAP in my jacket pocket and control the music, and volume, from my phone. It made for some epic winter walks 🤟🏼

You can of course also use the E7 via USB in, which I do with my AE all the time via my Laptop. I will update my original post so as not to confuse everyone.

May 15, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #89,322 of 90,230
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but can anyone recommend a mmcx or .78 adapter to Sony’s old ex1000 connector? I grabbed one off eBay and it was so tight it broke the cable I tried to attach it to. Grrrr! At least it was a cheap cable.

As much as I like the sound on the ex1000, it’s been the worst transaction I’ve had on here. This adapter is just the icing on the cake.
I use the OKCSC adapter from Aliexpress.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004582352904.html

They're not cheap, but they work fine. Just have to be patient and cautious when connecting them.

Paired with the Fiio cables and their curved mmcx connectors, it makes for a perfect ear hook. :thumbsup:

EX1000 ear hook.jpg

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #89,323 of 90,230
May 15, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #89,324 of 90,230
I’ll have to say, after sampling the E7 oven in Singapore last month, the Bluetooth implementation works very very well. IIRC it even displays the album/song metadata too. If there’s a loss in SQ it’s very minimal. However I’d use USB just for the fact that a lot of streaming services limit the bitrate over Bluetooth and the sound difference will be apparent on something like the E7.

It makes you wonder how the LP7 will be? If it’s competitive with top shelf desktop systems like Mola Mola it’s definitely worth getting excited over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back