The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #31,621 of 89,230
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #31,622 of 89,230
The day will come that dongles truly make DAP obsolete. At least for IEM.

I think they’re limited by the amount of power they can deliver due to the potential devices (read: low output smartphones) that power a dongle DAC. I’m already at the point that I’d take a dongle over another dedicated device that I’d use for maybe 2 hours a day at best.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #31,624 of 89,230

Thanks for the welcome. My name is Anfernee, and I am an audiophile currently living in the US. Due to work reasons, I prefer portable gears, I can take a lot of IEMs with me on a trip, and I don't have to worry about them becoming a burden on me. Maybe someday, I'll consider taking my friend's advice and stepping into unfamiliar territory :).

I like copper cables from all over the world because I like a more natural sounding, the only affliction is that there will always be all kinds of difficulties in purchasing.

I haven't published any professional review articles, but I have constructed my own "top gear list" and called them "BIG 12". I generally maintain 12 pairs of headphones and cables as my starting lineup, and they change over time when better challengers emerge; those who are eliminated will be sold; that's my "law of the jungle" for them :p.

I like to pursue the ultimate sound experience, and this is not limited to the brand reputation of products or their history. You'll see that I might be bashing a brand the day before and then immediately rave about a new product as it comes out and experiences it. I love connecting with people; it keeps me motivated and passionate about the community :gs1000smile:.
Wow, couple questions hope you do not mind.

Assuming the 12 you mentioned are the 12 in the photo, (made me happy to see the Thummim still survived the cut). Which is the first question is the photo the 12?

Which brings the next question your signature has way more than 12 is that reflective of all you have ever owned and now you still have some not all, (at least the 12 in the photo)?

And the final question why so many Masons do they each sound different enough, not just incrementally better, or is there another reason for taking so many spots in your 12? (They are all unique one of a kind shells.)

Welcome, and thanks for posting your impressive collection.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #31,625 of 89,230
And the final question why so many Masons do they each sound different enough, not just incrementally better, or is there another reason for taking so many spots in your 12.

I was thinking the same thing wrt the two Erlkonigs & Phonix.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #31,626 of 89,230
Crazy Sunset ☺️

Seems like the Aroma Ace would be a great pairing with that sunset.

DSC01196b_1740x1160.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #31,627 of 89,230
Wow, couple questions hope you do not mind.

Assuming the 12 you mentioned are the 12 in the photo, (made me happy to see the Thummim still survived the cut). Which is the first question is the photo the 12.

Which brings the next question your signature has way more than 12 is that reflective of all you have ever owned and now you still have some not all, (at least the 12 in the photo).

And the final question why so many Masons do they each sound different enough, not just incrementally better, or is there another reason for taking so many spots in your 12. (They are all unique one of a kind shells.)

Welcome, and thanks for posting your impressive collection.

Cooler survey: What is your 12? Full size, IEMs and buds welcome...but you get only 12 total collectively.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #31,628 of 89,230
Cooler survey: What is your 12? Full size, IEMs and buds welcome...but you get only 12 total collectively.

1) Aroma Jewel
2) VE EXT
3) MEST Indigo
4) Campfire Supermoon
5) FiR XE6
6) 64 audio A12t
7) 64 audio Tia Trio
8) Sony IER-Z1R
9) Elysian X
10) Elysian Annihilator
11) EE Legend X
12) 64 audio Fourte Noir

Not in order of anything, but, that’ll do. 😎

Left out Traillii, Phonix, and Erlkonig as I’d rather have the Jewel or Xenon 6.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #31,630 of 89,230
Full Size :
1. Abyss 1266 Phi TC
2. Hifiman Susvara
3. Sennheiser HD800S
4. Sony MDR-Z1R

Iem :
5. Aroma Jewel
6. Oriolus Traillii
7. UM Mason FE
8. VE Erlkonig
9. EE Evo
10. 64 Audio Fourte
11. 64 Audio A18T
12. 64 Audio A18S

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #31,631 of 89,230

1) Traillii
2) XE6
3) Isabellae
4) Mason FS
5) Thummim
6) Elysium
7) Annihilator
8) Dorado
9) U12T
10) Phonix
11) Universal version of Supermoon
12) EAH-TZ700

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #31,632 of 89,230
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #31,633 of 89,230

Where was this a couple hundred pages ago when we were discussing Best Covers? This is a classic example of a great original tune reimagined with the performer's own unique talent & vision. Couldn't stop listening to this!!
How do you guys find time to enjoy all your IEMs?? I only have a handful and already can't juggle them without neglecting anyone...
Working remotely so much these last few years, and having a fairly long commute when I do go to the office, plus an hour or so exercise every day gives me plenty of opportunity to rotate through all my gear. Some things get put on the back burner at times, but that just makes them that much more enjoyable when I reach for them again.

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #31,634 of 89,230
In all honesty, I haven't found many admirers of Monarch Mk2 here either 😉
Changing the cable can upgrade the Monarch MKII considerably. I wasn’t thrilled with them to begin with but when I paired them with a few different cables, I finally appreciated what they could do.

Aug 8, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #31,635 of 89,230
Working remotely so much these last few years,
Precisely how I can stay up-to-date with this monster thread and get 6+hrs listening done, usually daily. I do rest the ears once a week or so. No insertions on that holy day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back