Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Aug 3, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #91 of 950
Hyla CE-5:
This thing is like, the proto-Z1R. It’s that V/U shaped bass boosted deal done in a fairly... unusual way.

The CE-5 is notorious for its frequency response favoring very electronic genres of music. It’s not hard to see why, because that bass tonality is just beautiful. It extends perfectly and has a level of midbassy-ness that almost sounds sweet. Does that even make sense, bass sounding sweet? It just sounds really full and well rounded while not overshadowing the subbass at all. I don’t know how this was accomplished but it’s really impressive. Decay is also perfect, subbass is slow without being muddy at all. It’s not quite as clean and fast with attack as the Z1R, but it’s pretty goddamn close.

The midrange, however, is where things begin going south. It’s thin, but it’s the flavor of thin that sounds a bit off. With say Schoenberg’s first string quartet performed by the Arditti, it honestly sounds like it overemphasizes a slight graininess in the bowing of the instruments, which is a bit unsightly. With brass instruments, say Mingus’ Solo Dancer, it can have a little too much unintended rawness, especially in instruments in the lower frequencies like tenor saxes and tubas. Jon Anderson’s voice on Close to the Edge is left feeling a little bit shrill, and guitars have a very noticeable crunchiness and bite that seems to emphasize the hit of the plectrum very heavily compared to the ring and decay of the notes. Honestly quite intense, and a little fatiguing. Certainly not unlistenable like the FW10k inches towards, but it’s not really enjoyable for casual listening.

The treble on the CE-5 is, interestingly, done by a piezoelectric tweeter, which is something I usually hate. But here Hyla have managed to tune it somewhat competently. It’s a very strong lower treble sound that’s impressively enough, not sibilant at all, with a little mid treble to aid out with cymbal decay. Upper treble is unfortunately lacking, leaving cymbals with minimal decay. It’s actually a pretty decent sound in practice. No splashiness on King Crimson’s Red, and lots of timbre to boot. The opening of Slint’s Breadcrumb Trail definitely displays the lack of decay, but when you get to the climax of the song, the stick impacts have a nice emphasis. Not as sparkly as I’d usually like, but hey, it’s not bad.

Technicalities are pretty decent. You’re not getting anything particularly impressive here but they’re serviceable enough. Soundstage is ever so slightly out of your head, as is the case with a lot of standard acrylic shell pseudo-customs. Layering and presentation are also competent. Separation handles itself just fine with dense tracks. I do feel like imaging precision could be better but it’s no slouch. It’s average, but on the good side of it.

The whole deal with the CE-5, really, is that it’s a worse but cheaper Z1R. Both are bass boosted, with recessed lower mids, boosted upper mids and lower treble emphasis. And herein lies the problem with it: The Z1R just takes what makes the CE-5 good and brings it to the next level. But at the same time, it’s a lot more expensive, and the CE-5 definitely has a more apparent midrange than the Z1R. It’s a tradeoff really. I think the Z1R slightly invalidates the CE-5 in the TOTL “money is no object” sense, but the CE-5 still has its appeal.

All listening was done from the WM1A’s 3.5mm jack.

Recommended? It’s, as mentioned, definitely not bad at all, but the existence of the Z1R make it questionable if this a worthy purchase in comparison if one had no budget. However, it has like 80% of that performance in a cheaper package, and is about half the price. If one can look past the wonky midrange and poor treble extension, I think it’s a worthy V/U shaped IEM for what it is.

Rating: 6/10

Note: Driver flex is a massive problem with this IEM. For the first 10 seconds of After the Flood I was left wondering where the hell the bass was until I readjusted it. This also prevented me from getting a real deep fit, which is usually what I aim for. Oh well.

Aug 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #93 of 950
Have you demo any of the new Acoustune ? The HS1655CU & HS1690Ti ? If so How would you rate them vs the Older Model & other IEM ? An Improvement Over All ?
I actually haven’t. Although I get the feeling improving over the 1670 isn’t exactly very hard.

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #95 of 950
The (Massdrop) K10U was my first IEM of note. Now it is collecting dust, as it’s not my cup of tea. I can’t claim it’s just a BA thing either :)

As the K10U has a ‘bass tuned’ FR, which seems to be the general flavor of this thread, I could benefit from a review to see how the K10 fairs against some of the other IEMs written about.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #96 of 950
The (Massdrop) K10U was my first IEM of note. Now it is collecting dust, as it’s not my cup of tea. I can’t claim it’s just a BA thing either :)

As the K10U has a ‘bass tuned’ FR, which seems to be the general flavor of this thread, I could benefit from a review to see how the K10 fairs against some of the other IEMs written about.
Unfortunately it appears like the original K10 isn't available for demo here. The Encore is, but that doesn't really sound the same of course. I will be running down to the main carrier of Noble here in SG later today so I can confirm in person, either way.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #97 of 950
Hey @aminus thanks for your thread and I like your no-BS approach to reviews/impressions. I read a few and agree, especially on the CE-5. I've owned two pairs and still really enjoy them, though I have the Z1R as well and I find the bass to be profoundly more enhanced and elevated on the CE-5. Anyway, what's the likelihood of you trying out the TE-5B from Hyla? For me, it's neck and neck with the Z1R, but still I find the bass way north of neutral on the TE-5B and the Z1R to be fairly reserved in comparison. I LOVE the TE-5B and it fixed a lot of the complaints of the CE-5, so I hope you get to try it at some point.

Cheers,

-Collin-

P.S. you're too hard on the FW10000 :beerchug::):smile_phones::ksc75smile::o2smile:

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #98 of 950
Hey @aminus thanks for your thread and I like your no-BS approach to reviews/impressions. I read a few and agree, especially on the CE-5. I've owned two pairs and still really enjoy them, though I have the Z1R as well and I find the bass to be profoundly more enhanced and elevated on the CE-5. Anyway, what's the likelihood of you trying out the TE-5B from Hyla? For me, it's neck and neck with the Z1R, but still I find the bass way north of neutral on the TE-5B and the Z1R to be fairly reserved in comparison. I LOVE the TE-5B and it fixed a lot of the complaints of the CE-5, so I hope you get to try it at some point.

Cheers,

-Collin-

P.S. you're too hard on the FW10000 :beerchug::):smile_phones::ksc75smile::o2smile:
I’ve tried both the TE-5’s and honestly they’re too similar to the CE-5 for me to go in depth on them. I do feel like the even thinner midrange on the TE-5B alleviates some of the upper mid aggressiveness but again, it’s slightly unnatural. Regarding the FW10k, I do feel like it’s a sort of tuning that doesn’t stick out as particularly bad initially, but after multiple sessions with it I really did feel that the really intense midrange and treble was detrimental without anything to balance it out. Perhaps I’m nitpicking, but who ever said that was a bad thing?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #99 of 950
Hi aminous

What's your favourite iem and what sort of music do you listen to?

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #100 of 950
Hi aminous

What's your favourite iem and what sort of music do you listen to?
At the moment my favorite and daily would be the Z1R. The type of music I listen to is what I use in my reviews, although there’s lots of albums that I listen to that I keep out of demoing IEMs due to not having traits that I would use to test IEMs.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #101 of 950
Hidition Viento:
This has how many BAs you say? 4? Well damn, less really can be more.

The Viento is a full BA setup from Korean IEM makers Hidition, who seem to be fairly popular here in SG but not so much in the west. The NT6 is semi-famous for its DF-esque tuning that reminds many of the ER4, but that’s not what we’re here for today. The Viento is being marketed as Hidition’s reference monitor, with the full name being the Viento-R (R for reference, of course). Let’s see how neutral it really is.

It’s a BA, do I need to comment on the bass? Well apparently I do, because Hidition have a couple tricks up their sleeve. The first is a bass boost switch, and my, it’s actually not bad. It’s not bleedy at all and extends nicely, while supplying a tasteful enough bass quantity (not enough for me, but that’s because my specifications are somewhat extreme). It’s one of the less plasticky and limp sounding BA woofers I’ve heard as well, which is a plus. Decay is of course lacking, but hey, it’s not everyday you’ll see me praising BA woofers. This one is actually good. The second switch is supposed to be a midrange one, boosting the lower mids. I do feel like it boosts midbass just a tiny bit as well, but we’ll get to it in depth later.

Midrange on the Viento is very neutral, with the subtlest of upper midrange boosts to give a little clarity and liveliness. It works. Vocal intelligibility is especially good, with the spoken word on Slint’s Nosferatu Man being very clear. Guitars have just the right amount of crunch and heft in them to be balanced. It’s just such a nice tonality all around, I can’t fault it. There are of course instances where I feel like a stronger upper midrange tilt can benefit a specific track in comparison, but in terms of aiming for pure neutrality, this is one of the best midranges I’ve heard.

Oh yeah, the midrange switch. It adds a little more heft to instruments in the midrange (wow, who’d have thought?). I find its use situational. On something like Talk Talk’s After the Flood, the synthesizers don’t sound very good with the enhanced lower mids. There’s some sort of sound to them that sounds a little resonance-y. On Mingus’ Solo Dancer however, that extra lower midrange gives an incredibly satisfying warmth that just sounds so good. I’m not going to vindictively praise or condemn it. Your mileage will vary with this one.

Treble on the Viento is a mid treble oriented sound with slight amounts of lower treble. Extension is a little iffy, but decay is solid. Maybe a little too solid. Depending on insertion depth it can enter splashy territory, and combined with the peakier treble that comes with shallower inserts, can sound just bad. With a deep insert, it’s still pushing it on splashiness, but still within the realm of what I would consider decent. Not quite as much stick impact as I’d usually like but I’m willing to give it passing marks. Again, it may not 100% be to my taste, but within the category of neutrality and tonal accuracy, it’s quite good.

Technicalities are pretty refined. Considering this has a humble 4 BAs, it beats out a lot of the more complex setups I’ve heard. It’s not on par with the qdc TOTLs but it’s definitely up there. Staging stops at the edge of the IEM, which is pretty standard for pseudo-customs. Layering and presentation is also likable enough. I do prefer the Z1R for orchestral tracks like Boulez’s rendition of Le Sacre du Printemps, but it’s far from unlistenable. Not the most outstanding technicalities that I’ve heard but I like it.

I think where this IEM shines is just how good of an interpretation of neutrality it is. The PP8 sounds completely lifeless in comparison. The VX definitely beats it in the technical department but the presentation of the Viento just seems more agreeable, and I can’t say if the VX beats the Viento in terms of raw tuning either (that would require a revisit of the VX for me to definitively make any statements). The ER4 and other DF tuned monitors have simply too much upper midrange compared to this. The switches are well implemented, bass is up there in terms of BA woofers... it’s just a very good neutral monitor.

And that’s perhaps where it falls slightly flat: sometimes you just don’t want neutrality. Unsurprisingly, I do have the feeling while listening to this that the bass impact is simply lacking. On the aforementioned Le Sacre du Printemps, I really enjoy when the drums slam on the far left and right channels with my Z1R. Here... I hear it, alright, but the same sensation just isn’t there. The same would apply to Guapo’s Five Suns II, where a DD would handle the rolling drums and roaring bass, the Viento feels passable enough, but it’s still a little eh. Which is standard for BA woofers, of course. And as mentioned earlier, some tracks simply sound better with a more colored sound signature. Don’t get me wrong, the Viento is outstanding as far as neutral IEMs go. I just prefer a something different for my own usage.

All listening was done out of the WM1A’s 3.5mm jack. For the majority of my listening I opted for the bass boost switch, alternating the midrange switch on preference.

Recommended? If you want a high end, neutral monitor, I think this might be it. If I were to buy a neutral monitor myself, it would be a tossup between this and the VX. And this is slightly cheaper than the VX (still a painful $2.2k SGD though). I’m thoroughly impressed at what’s been executed here.

Rating: 8/10

Note: Ok this stock cable is one of the worst goddamn cables I have ever seen. It’s insanely microphonic, braided roughly, and very tangly. For the love of god, if you buy this, replace the stock cable.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #102 of 950
Audio-technica ATH-CK2000Ti
This review was requested by @chickenmoon

There seems to be very little information on this IEM. A straight down isobaric 2DD that retails for a thousand bucks is not exactly an everyday sight. No frequency response measurements or reviews from what I would consider reputable sources either. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to go into this one blind.

Bass response is elevated with midbass emphasis and a slight subbass rolloff. Decay is on the slower side. Attack is also a little bit too slow, but not to the point of smeariness. It does feel like it suffers from what I like to call Atlas syndrome where the bass sounds like it has trouble keeping up with the rest of the spectrum. Slam is also somewhat lacking, I’m not feeling the usual crushing bass and kickdrum on The Virgin by Daughters. More interesting, however, is the general oddness of the bass tonality. Kickdrums sound a lot more upper bass oriented than they normally should. I’m trying to find a way to describe this but it’s just so bizarre. It sounds like the drumskin of the kickdrum was tuned excessively tightly, which combined with the slower decay and attack on these just sounds wrong. Not Good.

Going to the midrange and things appear to fall apart even further. There’s a very apparent issue in the upper midrange with graininess, which seems to be bleeding over from the awful treble on these (we’ll get to that later). In the beginning of and midway through After the Flood, when the synthesizer line comes in, you can quite literally hear the grain fading in and out as the melody raises and lowers in pitch. This is bad. That’s not all, the spoken word on Breadcrumb Trail by Slint sounds like Brian McMahan is speaking out of his nose. By the time I got to Close to the Edge by Yes, I had an intense desire to turn it off. The vocals are just so consonant, with each ch and s from Jon Anderson’s voice piercing my ears. Guitars on King Crimson’s Red sound excessively crunchy and bitey, although not quite in harsh territory yet. Paradoxically enough, string quartets sound overly smoothed over and lacking in definition, while the graininess still rears its ugly head like some sort of distortion artifact. This thing is just borked.

You thought we were finished? There’s no such thing as mercy in this cursed realm. The treble on these is, as earlier mentioned, disgustingly grainy, and has a rather unpleasant mid treble tonality with not much lower treble stick impact or upper treble extension. Cymbal decay and stick impact on Coltrane’s Blue Train is laughably poor, to the point where the cymbals sound almost like the drummer is jingling bells. The amount of ring on this IEM is excessive, enough to leave me wincing with every cymbal crash on King Crimson’s Larks’ Tongues in Aspic Part II. There’s nothing left for me to say because the entire treble response is horrific. I don’t understand how everything on this IEM is so so flawed in one respect or another.

Technicalities are noticeably hampered by the expectedly poor soundstage. The string sections of Boulez’s conducting on Le Sacre du Printemps sound like someone is playing one very large many-bowed string instrument, rather than actually having enough definition to express each player individually. It’s not so much an issue of congestion as it is an issue with the amount of resolution. The backing guitar lines towards the build of the climax on Yes’ The Gates of Delirium also sound poorly separated from the rest of the midrange. Godspeed You! Black Emperor’s Mladic just sounds like a wall of vaguely melodic noise at points. This is definitely one of the technically worse IEMs I’ve written on.

Just stay away from this thing. There is nothing redeeming about it. It’s shrill, tinny, grainy and lacking in resolution. I’m impressed I actually managed to sit with it for an hour, trying to comprehend and analyze just how this thing is so abysmal. Good god this is atrocious. No wonder no one talks about it.

All listening was done from the WM1A’s 3.5mm jack. Note that this IEM is extremely insertion depth dependent in attaining proper channel matching, which, combined with driver flex, makes this thing a pain to insert correctly.

Not Recommended. What would be a preferable alternative? Try just about anything else. As for me, I’m going to flush my ears out with an actual good dynamic driver before I begin listening to the subject of this Friday’s review.

Rating: 3/10

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #103 of 950
After looking through how you review, I'm very curious on your views on more IEMS. Keep 'em coming!
P/S: your thoughts on the Z1R vs CE-5 comparison made me want to go try it again because I hated the peakiness of the Z1R when I tried it. I liked the mids of the Z1R somehow, and I didn't think it was anywhere near bassy. Hm

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #104 of 950
After looking through how you review, I'm very curious on your views on more IEMS. Keep 'em coming!
P/S: your thoughts on the Z1R vs CE-5 comparison made me want to go try it again because I hated the peakiness of the Z1R when I tried it. I liked the mids of the Z1R somehow, and I didn't think it was anywhere near bassy. Hm
The Z1R’s treble is very fit dependent. You absolutely need a deep fit (deeper than CIEMs, around ER4 depth) for an ideal treble response. I’ve seen people describe the shallow fit as a Grado like treble, so definitely consider retrying it.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #105 of 950
Sounds like I'll probably need a twin or triple flange for it. Thing is, I don't mind Grado treble. Z1R's had an odd spike somewhere on the lower treble side IMO? But yes. I suppose I really should retry. I was told today it's really nice with hybrid tips too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back