The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #21,271 of 89,864
Would you say that's because of the sub/midbass balance? I'm finding myself veering away from IEMs will too much midbass/lower mid emphasis because it subdues some of the detail and delicacy in female vocals (my primary genre) if you have any sort of upper mid dip, and generally speaking tends to veil some details (if the upper mids/lower treble aren't suitably elevated).

Yes absolutely. Again, the sub bass / treble balance seems to better suit my preference for the most part. XE6 incredibly impressive, but the detail/clarity of X coupled with a wonderful low end rumble seems to be more my thing. I'd say you'd love X.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #21,273 of 89,864
The biggest problem I have with the Elysian X, and where I think the Annihilator is actually “better” is the bass. The X just doesn’t do mid bass well enough for me at all. The bass is crazy sub bassy and rumbly but really lacks any sort of body for me.

The Annihilator has the same type of timbre as the X but I find the extra mid bass presence really helps breathe some heft in the lower end.

With that said, I don’t think bass is either of their selling points.

I'd say a lot of that will come down to choice of genre - if kick drum focused electronic music such as trance or techno, maybe I'd go more mid bass direction to get that solid 'thump, thump, thump' - but the deep sub bass on X I'm finding works very well with slower electronic genres such as IDM, and indeed faster/complex electronic genres like drum and bass with more intricate drum programming. That said, I've not had much time yet to be absolutely confident. Shame I can't hear Annihilator too!

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #21,274 of 89,864
I'd say a lot of that will come down to choice of genre - if kick drum focused electronic music such as trance or techno, maybe I'd go more mid bass direction to get that solid 'thump, thump, thump' - but the deep sub bass on X I'm finding works very well with slower electronic genres such as IDM, and indeed faster/complex electronic genres like drum and bass with more intricate drum programming. That said, I've not had much time yet to be absolutely confident. Shame I can't hear Annihilator too!

Haha I am just crazy picky about bass I think. Which is surprising given how different my IEMs are in the lows. I personally usually don’t like overly mid bassy IEMs like the XE6/NE4 but the way both those IEMs do sub bass with what I’m assuming is attributed to the kinetic bass is just so good.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #21,275 of 89,864
Haha I am just crazy picky about bass I think. Which is surprising given how different my IEMs are in the lows. I personally usually don’t like overly mid bassy IEMs like the XE6/NE4 but the way both those IEMs do sub bass with what I’m assuming is attributed to the kinetic bass is just so good.

Oh yeah, I thought XE6 was fantastic - just X clicked more with me. I'd happily buy both, and possibly will at some point!

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #21,276 of 89,864
Oh yeah, I thought XE6 was fantastic - just X clicked more with me. I'd happily buy both, and possibly will at some point!

The X is by far and away the best V shaped IEM I have heard. It’s a shame it’s only sort of getting more attention now while it’s being discontinued 🥲

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #21,277 of 89,864
Out of curiosity, how would I join in on an IEM tour?
If you're in the US, the best option is audiotiers at the moment, the tours go a bit slow due to spotty adherence to the 7 day rule and suboptimal communication, but you'll usually get to try things eventually. They currently doing tours of VE and just started the new Firs

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #21,278 of 89,864
Well, that was a lot to catch up on since my last check-in earlier today!

Great idea with the current top 3 poll @Rockwell75. Good to get an overview of the current IEM landscape and also interesting to see the IEMs with some staying power.

My takeaways are that I need to hear the Elysian IEMs, Thunder, Jewel and get more time with Traillii. It’s too bad the Diva is all BA set as the price point is manageable and Lee’s tuning prowess seem to be top notch. Another takeaway is that there’s definitely something funky in the ‘cooler water and we’re all a bit loony :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #21,279 of 89,864
As @HiFiHawaii808 once observed a top 3 really makes you think and reflect carefully on what really matters to you.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #21,280 of 89,864
Well, that was a lot to catch up on since my last check-in earlier today!

Great idea with the current top 3 poll @Rockwell75. Good to get an overview of the current IEM landscape and also interesting to see the IEMs with some staying power.

My takeaways are that I need to hear the Elysian IEMs, Thunder, Jewel and get more time with Traillii. It’s too bad the Diva is all BA set as the price point is manageable and Lee’s tuning prowess seem to be top notch. Another takeaway is that there’s definitely something funky in the ‘cooler water and we’re all a bit loony :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Interesting results coming in.

Seems we have several newer sets that are on the way to legendary status.

Today has really ramped up my interest in X.
And did nothing to diminish my interest in Annihilator.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #21,281 of 89,864
As @HiFiHawaii808 once observed a top 3 really makes you think and reflect carefully on what really matters to you.
I've been busy getting to know Traillii so only getting to this poll now. Could change when I have had more time with Traillii, it's impressing me a lot more today when I can listen in some peace and quiet rather than the noisy setting yesterday.

For now, my top 3 are:

XE6
Elysian X
Odin

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #21,282 of 89,864
Nalla gave birth to 3 beautiful kittens. Happy Birthday stooges!
IMG_20220416_160925.jpg
IMG_20220416_163421.jpg

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Apr 16, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #21,283 of 89,864
Apr 16, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #21,284 of 89,864

Seems we have several newer sets that are on the way to legendary status.

yeah, me too, regarding X.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #21,285 of 89,864

Seems we have several newer sets that are on the way to legendary level.

For sure. For one, I had no idea there were so many Jewel owners. Also telling to see how the Traillii has basically kept its seat at summit over a year since release and amidst lots of new competition.

I’d like to hear both the X and Annihilator but I think that latter may be more in my wheelhouse simply due to my proclivity for mid-bass focus versus sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back