The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #21,241 of 91,345
Listening to Agnes Obel tonight following the conversation earlier. Went with Z1R - Holy moly, phenomenal... certainly punches way above it's price tag. Beautiful vocals and accompanying instruments, all wonderfully positioned on such a natural sounding stage.

😍 I keep throwing Cooler-favourite IEMs at my Z1R and it keeps throwing them back at me! 🤷

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #21,242 of 91,345
Listening to Agnes Obel tonight following the conversation earlier. Went with Z1R - Holy moly, phenomenal... certainly punches way above it's price tag. Beautiful vocals and accompanying instruments, all wonderfully positioned on such a natural sounding stage.

20220405_123739.jpg
I think I like vocals and dynamics a little better with PW cable. Plus, I finally have a good use for this cable, since FT is permanently attached to Traillii.
Sony-PW 3.jpg

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #21,243 of 91,345
What's Jewel bass like compared to Z1R? More sub-bass like Z1R or midbass like EXT? @Damz87 might be better placed to comment?

Hmmm I personally hear it as more towards the sub bass but the balance between sub and mid bass is honestly “perfect” for me, it’s got just the right amount of body and rumble to give that low end injection into music without ever being too much. The DD quality is very nice too.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #21,244 of 91,345
That is one I still think would be great for my collection.

There is the fit risk, but other than that, they come with my highest recommendation. I was just saying to my wife, even though she had little interest 😁 - they sound like listening to music coming from the room, rather than earphones in my ears - I don't think any other IEM in my collection can do that in the same way. Oh and M9 is a truly magical pairing.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #21,246 of 91,345
My top three in mind currently:
Jewel
LX
Ace (Haven't heard it, but the mystery has me intrigued, no reviews or impressions outside of @audio123 proclaiming it to be the best all BA lol)

I'd ask Andrew to demo, but I have no intention of buying it right at this moment

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #21,247 of 91,345
My top 5:

Thunder
Trailli
Phonix
Duet
DMAGIC 3D

I prefer Trailli to thunder on technical abilities but thunder got better timbre and bass

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #21,249 of 91,345
Does thunder come in CIEM?
Sure but I think will be different from Jewel because Thunder should have more mid bass and warmer tuning as Ace.
Trailli is great but sometimes I feel baish behavior and aren’t lush as thunder on mids
@audio123 own Thunder , Ace, Jewel, Duet and more aroma so I think should be the best one to ask

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #21,250 of 91,345
Sure but I think will be different from Jewel because Thunder should have more mid bass and warmer tuning as Ace.
@audio123 own Thunder , Ace, Jewel, Duet and more aroma so I think should be the best one to ask

Right yeah I’m not expecting it to be like Jewel, just wondering if it’s worth demo’ing. If it’s avail as a CIEM I may give it a shot.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #21,251 of 91,345
Trailli is great but sometimes I feel baish behavior and aren’t lush as thunder on mids
@aaf evo, OCD dictates you get the full set of Aroma CIEMs. Just can't see any way around it. 🤭

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #21,252 of 91,345
Right yeah I’m not expecting it to be like Jewel, just wondering if it’s worth demo’ing. If it’s avail as a CIEM I may give it a shot.
Trailli is great and its more technical, but sometimes I feel ba-ish behavior and aren’t lush as thunder on mids.
Thunder BA are so pleasant and never harsh.

Edit: I forgot thunder with C9 scale on next level instead of a stand alone Dap as LPGT, M8, RS6 and more

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #21,254 of 91,345

Yeah I've been intrigued by Thunder for many months now given the high praise from @Xinlisupreme - I was about to buy last August but went with Traillii at the time. I can see it happening this year!

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #21,255 of 91,345
Only the frontier series won me over in that aspect. Same with Phonix/EXT but death to universals.
Speaking of FiR, how much thicker is the Xe6 in the midbass than Kr5. Because I have to say, Kr5 is pretty thick and warm with any track that has a halfway prominent bassline (and the recessed upper mids and kinetic bass bleed into the lower mids makes it sound even thicker on occasion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back