The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #21,256 of 89,882
Speaking of FiR, how much thicker is the Xe6 in the midbass than Kr5. Because I have to say, Kr5 is pretty thick and warm with any track that has a halfway prominent bassline (and the recessed upper mids and kinetic bass bleed into the lower mids makes it sound even thicker on occasion).

A decent amount thicker and warmer tuned overall but it has some of the most detail I’ve heard from any IEM without needing the sort of revealing tuning to help it achieve that detail retrieval.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #21,257 of 89,882
I usually do not join in these lists, but since @Rockwell75 is keeping track this holiday weekend:

1.- Traillii - still the best timbre out there, and more so with Orpheus, and my most comfortable fit.
2.- Erlkonig - Thicker mids with a punchy base.
3.- Fourte ( VE-8, Ely, Luna) : DD bass

Traillii is still number 1 for me, especially with the Orpheus cable. The sub bass extension this cable provides to the Traillii is shocking at times. Its timbre is still the most accurate and it fits me better than my customs. Fit plays a big part over time.

The Erlk is still a fave. A bit thicker mids and overall note weight. But it does not fit me anywhere near as well as the Traillii.

I really do not have a true number 3 as it will keep changing based on what I own. I did not list Jewel or RH, etc as I do not own them. I went with Fourte as it has a strong DD for bass which I have been using to compare to Traillii/Orpheus. Timbre wise and for mids it is a distant 3rd. In a month, Luna, Ely or VE-8 would be my number 3.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #21,258 of 89,882
Yeah I've been intrigued by Thunder for many months now given the high praise from @Xinlisupreme - I was about to buy last August but went with Traillii at the time. I can see it happening this year!
Trailli is a great iem but for sure isn’t an all rounder IMHO.
Works great with electronic music, modern jazz/classic, some voices (female mostly) but a good DD bass can handle more kind of music as Rock and similar.
Thunder plays almost incredible, maybe not the best choice for classic music ONLY

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #21,259 of 89,882
Speaking of FiR, how much thicker is the Xe6 in the midbass than Kr5. Because I have to say, Kr5 is pretty thick and warm with any track that has a halfway prominent bassline (and the recessed upper mids and kinetic bass bleed into the lower mids makes it sound even thicker on occasion).
Man you confirmed my thought looking at the KR Graph but I’m scared about mids, pretty similar to EXT… I preferred Phönix to EXT on mids, but I know it’s my “problem”

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #21,260 of 89,882
A decent amount thicker and warmer tuned overall but it has some of the most detail I’ve heard from any IEM without needing the sort of revealing tuning to help it achieve that detail retrieval.
That must be fascinating to hear. The only other 'thick with detail' monitor I think I've heard is Fourte Noir, and even found that a bit to thick for my liking (despite the crazy detail retrieval). Then again I don't think Fourte Noir had Xe6's upper mid tilt, or estats, both of which I imagine contribute to clarity.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #21,261 of 89,882
Right yeah I’m not expecting it to be like Jewel, just wondering if it’s worth demo’ing. If it’s avail as a CIEM I may give it a shot.
Worth a try but ask Andrew to burn it 50/60h, out of the box sounds Awful.
I got 150h and still grow but I got the most interesting performances upgrades connecting it to C9.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #21,262 of 89,882
In other words, if someone wants to short cut to 'endgame', they could get Jewel, Trailli, EXT, XE6 and Mason :laughing:
Even more succinct: 💸💸💸💸💸

With what those IEMs cost, I think I can pay what remains of my mortgage

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #21,263 of 89,882
I enjoyed XE6 yesterday but nowhere near as much as X - interestingly, @armstrj2 predicted that would be the case too. Fantastic IEM, and it'll stay on my radar for sure... but I'd buy X ahead of it.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #21,264 of 89,882
That must be fascinating to hear. The only other 'thick with detail' monitor I think I've heard is Fourte Noir, and even found that a bit to thick for my liking (despite the crazy detail retrieval). Then again I don't think Fourte Noir had Xe6's upper mid tilt, or estats, both of which I imagine contribute to clarity.

It is. I love how unique it is, and I haven’t heard anything else like it on the market (I’ve not heard Dorado 2020), but the tuning + technical ability keep me coming back for more. It’s not the type of IEM where it would be the only one you own.

When I first heard it and was trying to explain to friends what it’s like I didn’t know what to call it. Because it’s not L shaped, @twister6 description of reverse J shape makes perfect sense once you get to hear it.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #21,265 of 89,882
I enjoyed XE6 yesterday but nowhere near as much as X - interestingly, @armstrj2 predicted that would be the case too. Fantastic IEM, and it'll stay on my radar for sure... but I'd buy X ahead of it.
Didn’t you consider Annihilator 2021 or wait their new TOTL?
X is sold out and after diva I’m sure Mr. Lee has planned new iem gen.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #21,266 of 89,882
Would you say that's because of the sub/midbass balance? I'm finding myself veering away from IEMs will too much midbass/lower mid emphasis because it subdues some of the detail and delicacy in female vocals (my primary genre) if you have any sort of upper mid dip, and generally speaking tends to veil some details (if the upper mids/lower treble aren't suitably elevated).

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #21,267 of 89,882
Right now I'm enamored with the ISN EST50 for classic rock listening. Needs a cable like the silver Penon Flow and wide tips to tame the bass. And a killer source with no flabby bottom. Then it's almost a Traillii with DD bass! Love those EST highs.
Next is my Trailli, then my Penon Legend.

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #21,268 of 89,882
Didn’t you consider Annihilator 2021 or wait their new TOTL?
X is sold out and after diva I’m sure Mr. Lee has planned new iem gen.

Curious on Annihilator but it's mid bass focus is less appealing. I was in touch with Lee via PM on Head-Fi, no new TOTL planned till next year.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in no rush - very content with what I have till at least next Thursday 🤪

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #21,269 of 89,882
It’s not the type of IEM where it would be the only one you own.
That's probably why I'd never consider owning it. That said, my door is firmly closed on any IEM purchases for the foreseeable future, so moot point (though I'm more than open to reviewing it!).

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #21,270 of 89,882

The biggest problem I have with the Elysian X, and where I think the Annihilator is actually “better” is the bass. The X just doesn’t do mid bass well enough for me at all. The bass is crazy sub bassy and rumbly but really lacks any sort of body for me.

The Annihilator has the same type of timbre as the X but I find the extra mid bass presence really helps breathe some heft in the lower end.

With that said, I don’t think bass is either of their selling points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back