The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #3,601 of 87,689
Oriolus Isabellae Impressions
I’m sorry for diverting this thread from the current discussions but I wanted to post my impressions of the Isabellae by way of thanks to @Rockwell75 for so very kindly lending me his Isabellae. I’m especially grateful because I’d read many highly laudatory impressions of these IEMs and you’d spoken so highly of them that I was keen to give them a whirl. I can see why you like them so much.

Gear and a Caveat
  • Sony NW-ZX2 -> Isabellae with Final E tips
  • I’ve had some slight hearing loss beyond what would be normal for someone in his mid-40s, which means I can’t say much about the upper treble region (above, say 14-15kHz)

Tuning
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Isabellae. These IEMs are easy to like - or, to put it another way, there’s next to nothing to dislike. The Isabellae’s treble doesn’t reach especially high (as far as I can tell). Nor is it overly forward. Instead, it’s smooth and free of peaks and grain. The bass is similar insofar as it doesn’t plunge particularly deeply; the sub-bass is a bit lacking. But the Isabellae’s bass is tight, though not fast, and it has plenty of texture and fullness, given the slight emphasis is in the mid-bass region. And the midrange is nice and rich and even and free from odd recessions. All this is to say two things: first, that the tuning is nicely balanced and coherent and, second, there’s nothing to latch onto as being problematic or annoying.

If this sounds like faint praise it’s actually meant to be highly complimentary: I found the Isabellae to be a very engaging pair of IEMs. I realize “engaging” is a controversial term: what I mean is that these IEMs did nothing to distract me from or take me out of the music. I frequently found myself forgetting to listen critically and often ended up just letting myself enjoy listening to entire albums, which I suppose speaks highly, in and of itself, of the Isabellae’s qualities. I can’t emphasize this engaging quality enough: when I had the loaner I was still pretty burnt out from a long, hard stint at work; my attention span hadn’t been the best, and I’d had a hard time getting sucked into music and being immersed in it. Two experiences pulled me out of this: one was the Isabellae; the other was from a desktop setup (my newly arrived SW51+ amp, which I paired with the Bifrost 2 and the HD 600). These setups have made for some of the best personal audio experiences I’ve had.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the mid-range presentation of the Isabellae is superb. From my very limited experience, I’ve found that some DD IEMs suffer from too much emphasis in the upper mids and lower treble. That’s not an issue here. There’s a slight emphasis for vocals; male vocals are fine, but female vocals come across as bit more forward. I actually liked this; the emphasis worked well for sopranos in operas.

As impressive as the mid-range is the timbre of acoustic and even electric/electronic instruments. Pianos, for instance, sound very good. Brass instruments have plenty of bite and crackle and blare to them. String instruments are lovely. They’re not the most resonant. But they have plenty of texture. I could easily distinguish between violas and violins (or I could easily convince myself that I did). I very much enjoyed string quartets with the Isabellae. Woodwind instruments sounded excellent apart from the lack of treble extension. Bass instruments also have an appealingly rich texture to them, and while there isn’t much sub-bass, I heard a decent amount of rumble with movie soundtracks.

The tuning and the excellent timbre are what appeal most to me about the Isabellae. The tuning has a pleasant amount of warmth to it; I tend to avoid warm transducers, preferring the HD 600 over the HD 650, for instance, but the warmth here was mild enough not to trouble me. What makes the warmth surprisingly appealing, I suspect, is that the Isabellae is quite responsive and doesn’t have the weighty or thick sound to it that the Dunu SA6, for instance, does. It doesn’t have an ethereal quality to it, either, like the Andromeda or the Holocene. But it has a slight lightness to it even as it also renders timbre beautifully. There’s a good balance, in other words, between having a substantial sound and being nimble enough to make music pleasingly lively.

Technicalities
The Isabellae aren't the most accomplished IEMs when it comes to technicalities. They're no slouch, though, especially given the modest price. These aren’t the fastest IEMs, nor do they have a particularly strong attack to them. The leading edges of notes are slightly rounded; even so, they’re still snappy and clean enough, and they don’t sound in the least bit dull or flat-sounding. If the attack is slightly soft, the decay trails off nicely; I wonder if this contributes to the nice, rich sound.

Resolution is really very good for the price. It’s not up there with the Andromeda 2020. But the resolution is much closer to that of the Andromeda’s than the Isabellae’s price tag might lead you to believe. From memory I’d guess it’s not far off the SA6, even if the Dunu offers a bit more detail retrieval, perhaps (from distant memory).

Macrodynamics are also pretty good. These don’t have the greatest impact or even bass slam, but they’re not so lacking as to make the music sound lifeless and dull - quite the contrary. I’m not good at appreciating microdynamics but I could imagine them being seen as one of the Isabellae’s many qualities. I’ll defer to those with better ears than mine.

The soundstage is also very good without being exceptional. Imaging and instrument separation are excellent. There isn’t much space or air around instruments, but there’s enough distance between them for the Isabellae to avoid sounding congested, which is for the best given their slightly warm tuning, which, for me, can make transducers sound a bit veiled or muffled or closed in. The Isabellae is vastly superior here to the IE 900, from memory. Layering is decent without being outstanding, and the same can be said for the width and depth of the staging. I’m overly fussy about soundstage and found the Isabellae to be perfectly acceptable even if it’s a significant step behind the spacious, open, and airy presentation of the Holocene, Andromeda, Solaris, or Soranik Bastille Audiophile or Signature.

Some minor criticisms
These are nitpicks. Very rarely there’s a bit of a sheen to the treble, by which I mean a lack of clarity and cleanliness. This isn’t a big deal, it’s barely noticeable, and it’s not a particular issue because of the rolled-off treble. The lack of extension can occasionally be a bit of a problem; cymbals, acoustic guitars, and trumpets don’t sound especially convincing.

The slightly laid-back tuning makes for a relaxing listen, one that is good for avoiding the fatigue and brightness I’ve heard with other DD IEMs. The Isabellae errs on the side of caution, then.

Conclusion
These are great IEMs. I very much like the tuning and the timbre of acoustic instruments through the Isabellae. There’s something very appealing about the overall sound. I was reading old threads on another forum recently and saw people describing tube amps as romantic. I wonder if that adjective also works for the Isabellae. In the end, I keep coming back to the idea that these are very well balanced IEMs. This balance takes several forms:
  • the frequency response is fairly even, with only a slight mid-bass emphasis and a lovely mid-range
    • there’s a balance in the lack of extension at both ends of the frequency range
  • there’s enough tonal weight to instruments for them to come across as rich and substantial without the sound being too thick or sluggish
  • the Isabellae isn’t fast but it’s nimble and responsive enough
  • the leading edges of notes aren’t the most incisive but they’re sufficiently snappy
  • the tuning and technicalities are commensurate with one another
  • the staging is neither too small nor stretched out in an exaggerated way (which might be said of the Holocene)
  • these IEMs’ overall sound isn’t bombastic or overdone; it’s more subtle but engaging and highly enjoyable
Since I have the Massdrop Plus, Andromeda 2020, and Solaris, I’m not sure I need the Isabellae in my collection. But its timbre is very appealing, and this and the pleasure afforded by listening to these IEMs have me wondering if I should get a pair sometime. I'm also wondering the higher-end offerings of Oriolus now...

Thank you again Rockwell75, I very much appreciate the opportunity to hear your lovely Isabellae.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,602 of 87,689
Campfire Audio Multiverse Day 4 release is Night Sky 3D - https://campfireaudio.com/shop/night-sky-3d/
Triple BA

Sonic Signature.jpg

Is it weird that what has my interest piqued is "Special, limited, Blue 2-chambered mesh bag"?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,603 of 87,689
I’m sorry for diverting this thread from the current discussions but I wanted to post my impressions of the Isabellae by way of thanks to @Rockwell75 for so very kindly lending me his Isabellae. I’m especially grateful because I’d read many highly laudatory impressions of these IEMs and you’d spoken so highly of them that I was keen to give them a whirl. I can see why you like them so much.

Gear and a Caveat
  • I’ve had some slight hearing loss beyond what would be normal for someone in his mid-40s, which means I can’t say much about the upper treble region (above, say 14-15kHz)

Tuning
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Isabellae. These IEMs are easy to like - or, to put it another way, there’s next to nothing to dislike. The Isabellae’s treble doesn’t reach especially high (as far as I can tell). Nor is it overly forward. Instead, it’s smooth and free of peaks and grain. The bass is similar insofar as it doesn’t plunge particularly deeply; the sub-bass is a bit lacking. But the Isabellae’s bass is tight, though not fast, and it has plenty of texture and fullness, given the slight emphasis is in the mid-bass region. And the midrange is nice and rich and even and free from odd recessions. All this is to say two things: first, that the tuning is nicely balanced and coherent and, second, there’s nothing to latch onto as being problematic or annoying.

If this sounds like faint praise it’s actually meant to be highly complimentary: I found the Isabellae to be a very engaging pair of IEMs. I realize “engaging” is a controversial term: what I mean is that these IEMs did nothing to distract me from or take me out of the music. I frequently found myself forgetting to listen critically and often ended up just letting myself enjoy listening to entire albums, which I suppose speaks highly, in and of itself, of the Isabellae’s qualities. I can’t emphasize this engaging quality enough: when I had the loaner I was still pretty burnt out from a long, hard stint at work; my attention span hadn’t been the best, and I’d had a hard time getting sucked into music and being immersed in it. Two experiences pulled me out of this: one was the Isabellae; the other was from a desktop setup (my newly arrived SW51+ amp, which I paired with the Bifrost 2 and the HD 600). These setups have made for some of the best personal audio experiences I’ve had.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the mid-range presentation of the Isabellae is superb. From my very limited experience, I’ve found that some DD IEMs suffer from too much emphasis in the upper mids and lower treble. That’s not an issue here. There’s a slight emphasis for vocals; male vocals are fine, but female vocals come across as bit more forward. I actually liked this; the emphasis worked well for sopranos in operas.

As impressive as the mid-range is the timbre of acoustic and even electric/electronic instruments. Pianos, for instance, sound very good. Brass instruments have plenty of bite and crackle and blare to them. String instruments are lovely. They’re not the most resonant. But they have plenty of texture. I could easily distinguish between violas and violins (or I could easily convince myself that I did). I very much enjoyed string quartets with the Isabellae. Woodwind instruments sounded excellent apart from the lack of treble extension. Bass instruments also have an appealingly rich texture to them, and while there isn’t much sub-bass, I heard a decent amount of rumble with movie soundtracks.

The tuning and the excellent timbre are what appeal most to me about the Isabellae. The tuning has a pleasant amount of warmth to it; I tend to avoid warm transducers, preferring the HD 600 over the HD 650, for instance, but the warmth here was mild enough not to trouble me. What makes the warmth surprisingly appealing, I suspect, is that the Isabellae is quite responsive and doesn’t have the weighty or thick sound to it that the Dunu SA6, for instance, does. It doesn’t have an ethereal quality to it, either, like the Andromeda or the Holocene. But it has a slight lightness to it even as it also renders timbre beautifully. There’s a good balance, in other words, between having a substantial sound and being nimble enough to make music pleasingly lively.

Technicalities
The Isabellae aren't the most accomplished IEMs when it comes to technicalities. They're no slouch, though, especially given the modest price. These aren’t the fastest IEMs, nor do they have a particularly strong attack to them. The leading edges of notes are slightly rounded; even so, they’re still snappy and clean enough, and they don’t sound in the least bit dull or flat-sounding. If the attack is slightly soft, the decay trails off nicely; I wonder if this contributes to the nice, rich sound.

Resolution is really very good for the price. It’s not up there with the Andromeda 2020. But the resolution is much closer to that of the Andromeda’s than the Isabellae’s price tag might lead you to believe. From memory I’d guess it’s not far off the SA6, even if the Dunu offers a bit more detail retrieval, perhaps (from distant memory).

Macrodynamics are also pretty good. These don’t have the greatest impact or even bass slam, but they’re not so lacking as to make the music sound lifeless and dull - quite the contrary. I’m not good at appreciating microdynamics but I could imagine them being seen as one of the Isabellae’s many qualities. I’ll defer to those with better ears than mine.

The soundstage is also very good without being exceptional. Imaging and instrument separation are excellent. There isn’t much space or air around instruments, but there’s enough distance between them for the Isabellae to avoid sounding congested, which is for the best given their slightly warm tuning, which, for me, can make transducers sound a bit veiled or muffled or closed in. The Isabellae is vastly superior here to the IE 900, from memory. Layering is decent without being outstanding, and the same can be said for the width and depth of the staging. I’m overly fussy about soundstage and found the Isabellae to be perfectly acceptable even if it’s a significant step behind the spacious, open, and airy presentation of the Holocene, Andromeda, Solaris, or Soranik Bastille Audiophile or Signature.

Some minor criticisms
These are nitpicks. Very rarely there’s a bit of a sheen to the treble, by which I mean a lack of clarity and cleanliness. This isn’t a big deal, it’s barely noticeable, and it’s not a particular issue because of the rolled-off treble. The lack of extension can occasionally be a bit of a problem; cymbals, acoustic guitars, and trumpets don’t sound especially convincing.

The slightly laid-back tuning makes for a relaxing listen, one that is good for avoiding the fatigue and brightness I’ve heard with other DD IEMs. The Isabellae errs on the side of caution, then.

Conclusion
These are great IEMs. I very much like the tuning and the timbre of acoustic instruments through the Isabellae. There’s something very appealing about the overall sound. I was reading old threads on another forum recently and saw people describing tube amps as romantic. I wonder if that adjective also works for the Isabellae. In the end, I keep coming back to the idea that these are very well balanced IEMs. This balance takes several forms:
  • the frequency response is fairly even, with only a slight mid-bass emphasis and a lovely mid-range
    • there’s a balance in the lack of extension at both ends of the frequency range
  • there’s enough tonal weight to instruments for them to come across as rich and substantial without the sound being too thick or sluggish
  • the leading edges of notes aren’t the most incisive but they’re sufficiently snappy
  • the staging is neither too small nor stretched out in an exaggerated way (which might be said of the Holocene)
  • these IEMs’ overall sound isn’t bombastic or overdone; it’s more subtle but engaging and highly enjoyable
Since I have the Massdrop Plus, Andromeda 2020, and Solaris, I’m not sure I need the Isabellae in my collection. But its timbre is very appealing, and this and the pleasure afforded by listening to these IEMs have me wondering if I should get a pair sometime. I'm also wondering the higher-end offerings of Oriolus now...

Thank you again Rockwell75, I very much appreciate the opportunity to hear your lovely Isabellae.

Epic post man thank-you so much for taking the time to share your impressions. I'm happy to have leant them out and happier that you enjoyed them :)

Campfire Audio Multiverse Day 4 release is Night Sky 3D - https://campfireaudio.com/shop/night-sky-3d/
Triple BA

Sonic Signature.jpg

Is it weird that what has my interest piqued is "Special, limited, Blue 2-chambered mesh bag"?

Interesting at first I thought these were simply a cosmetically modified Holocene but it seems they're their own thing entirely. I'm admittedly more curious about these (sonically and aesthetically) than the previous 3.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.25.51 PM.png

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #3,604 of 87,689
Epic post man thank-you so much for taking the time to share your impressions. I'm happy to have leant them out and happier that you enjoyed them :)

Interesting at first I thought these were simply a cosmetically modified Holocene but it seems they're their own thing entirely. I'm admittedly more curious about these (sonically and aesthetically) than the previous 3.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.25.51 PM.png
I'm trying to go through the lineup to see which this is based off of. I can't remember, is the Holocene Campfire's only triple BA IEM?

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #3,605 of 87,689
I'm trying to go through the lineup to see which this is based off of. I can't remember, is the Holocene Campfire's only triple BA IEM?

I'm pretty sure the Io was 3 BA too.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #3,606 of 87,689
I can say The Rhapsodio Eden is my favorite. I agree that blanket statements are usually emotional attachments coming forth from the user and that backing it up with why one believes that would only benefit the community :) Eden is my favorite but I can't say its the best because I have not heard them all. I can only speak from the experience I have had with the three I have tried and with my music library. So many subjective factors involved. Any impression or review that implies "the best" I would definitely take with a grain of salt as well.

I just read your excellent Eden review-- how would you compare it with Isa?

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #3,608 of 87,689
IO was actually a dual BA. That’s strange, never realized Holocene was their first triple BA as that’s a fairly common layout, with one driver handling each frequency.

I quite like Holocene and I love the look of this one...if nothing else pans out this week and there's still some left I may just order one "for something to do".

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,609 of 87,689
Triple BA

This looks so cool :) I wonder what change was made from the Holocene. CA's 3-BA models are my favourite in their lineup for their tuning, both tone and technicalities. The details on my previous Q4 was awesome, and the sound was pretty even with great clarity

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #3,610 of 87,689
This looks so cool :) I wonder what change was made from the Holocene. CA's 3-BA models are my favourite in their lineup for their tuning, both tone and technicalities. The details on my previous Q4 was awesome, and the sound was pretty even with great clarity

It looks like this new one is more mid-forward.

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #3,611 of 87,689

Gear and a Caveat

Tuning

Technicalities

Some minor criticisms

Conclusion

I think that the Isabellae is my favorite IEM under $1000. Tuning and timbre are nearly perfect for my taste. Just wish it has a bigger sound stage and more treble and bass extension.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #3,612 of 87,689
The i640 is truly a BA fanatics delight :) If DD is not your thing. It has VE7-like natural shimmering clarity, with piston-like tight explosive bass from its dual vented BA lows. And note size are not as lean, having slightly more weight and fuller volume to it. I think clariar's off to a great start with this first model

taken-1635597852338.jpg

taken-1635597945997.jpg

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #3,613 of 87,689
The i640 is truly a BA fanatics delight :) If DD is not your thing. It has VE7-like natural shimmering clarity, with piston-like tight explosive bass from its dual vented BA lows. And note size are not as lean, having slightly more weight and fuller volume to it. I think clariar's off to a great start with this first model

taken-1635597852338.jpg

taken-1635597945997.jpg
By Piston you mean?

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #3,614 of 87,689
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #3,615 of 87,689
I just read your excellent Eden review-- how would you compare it with Isa?
Thanks man! I truly appreciate that and thank you for taking the time to read the review:)

I still have a place for Isa in my collection. Isa has a different tuning than Eden. Isa is all
About the mids and mid bass presence. Isa concentrates on those two areas in my opinion. Where Eden focuses on pure realism through neutrality. Eden extends deeper into the sub bass and also extends into the treble more so than Isa however the Mid range is much more linear than Isa. It is still a touch forward on Eden but not as much as Isa. Eden is more resolving and just as engaging. I prefer Isa when listening to singer songwriter and intimate soul or jazz. Eden plays everything really well. Eden is a great pallet cleanser of sorts. It gives your the music for what it is…adding very little color if any. Eden being so linear has a balanced and refined note weight, never sounding frail or thin or cold. It resonates with me as well as Isa. I’m happy to have them both. I’m not sure if this helped because I do truly appreciate both for what they give.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back