The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #9,016 of 91,358
Feeling giddy playing with the hybrid final MAKE2 (1DD + 1BA) filters https://snext-final.com/en/products/detail/MAKE2

taken-1641017876924.jpg
taken-1641018291696.jpg
taken-1641018357738.jpg
taken-1641018468039.jpg
taken-1641018614926.jpg
taken-1641018805734.jpg

The bass and vocals on these are absolutely gorgeous, and with the addition of the filters, you can also attenuate the lower or upper frequencies each to the level of your liking. Plus tips selection, it's so much fun configuring the sound! :)

Wow look good Make2, what’s the list price?
Are different from B serie?
I found one in EU store for 370$.

https://snext-final.com/en/products/makeseries/

080B0404-1467-41EB-82D0-D384FF412240.jpeg

Unknown setting Make2 FR

06A9B0FE-DF37-4C99-BA9F-281F3CA4C770.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #9,017 of 91,358

080B0404-1467-41EB-82D0-D384FF412240.jpeg

Unknown setting Make2 FR

06A9B0FE-DF37-4C99-BA9F-281F3CA4C770.jpeg
It's around $340 new :) Vocals have this warmth and good weight in its lower end, as well as a natural slightly warm and sweet sounding timbre. And at the upper end using the porous spongy filter, the treble sounds liquid smooth, clear without any harshness

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #9,018 of 91,358

Unknown setting Make2 FR
I have fond memories of Make 2

So first play with the tuning system...

JAHzU3WHbdsLzfON81cPGzh4Hf8SW3.png

For reference the default tuning is :
SoundPipe : A-8 with no B filter
Driver Holder : None
Driver Vent : None

I found the default tuning to suffer from some sibilance so my goal was to reduce this while keeping the bass level so here is the recipe I have tried :
SoundPipe : A-9 + B-3
Driver Holder : None
Driver Vent : None

Here is what it means in terms of tuning :

XqrRiajPmjcY1fKb4ZRplpqQLOMCbS.png

I find this graph a bit strange as Final says it has the "greatest attenuation of mid to high range" is the A-9 filter so increased highs combined with increased lows is a bit puzzling, the FR graph filter is clearer (A-9 is the lower curve in yellow) :

KafWQ4Y04GkxwBzp3kF0Ar53ega3lE.png

Second I used the B-3 filter, to make some attenuation on the highs but not too much and boost the lows to counteract the loss from the A-9 filter.

ClSGQy8ajysaEb2z9r16ZxwCJoNvPw.png

What I hear is that I don't loose extension, I do get more mid bass and the treble tone is warmer and more pleasing, also the upper mids are still good enough for everything to sound articulate but the harshness with default tuning is gone. I also hear a bit more lower mids, the Make 2 sounds fuller now and I have better depth.

I am pretty happy with that combo, I don't want less bass impact so I won't be playing with driver holder or driver vent. A good thing since I tested opening the casing is not that easy at all...

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #9,019 of 91,358
1-1-22 simple pattern.
Happy first everyone.
Foggy here and warm for January.

4B9C2049-A292-410F-AB2C-C1066DF2B9D0.jpeg

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #9,021 of 91,358
Happy 2022 to the Watercooler crew! May the year ahead bring you joy and prosperity, but also peace, good health and personal contentment.

I've literally just finished catching up on the six (or seven!?) pages I missed since yesterday evening. Far too much to quote and reply to, so off the top of my head:
  • Congrats on the 600 pages guys! Onward and upward.
  • Great end-of-year reviews, @Scuba Devils with a really entertaining and music-filled Dark Sky adventure, and @Rockwell75 with a comprehensive appraisal of Zen Pro. Brilliant insights that I get to enjoy vicariously through your experiences.
  • To everyone else for the colourful mix of movie reviews, location shots and 2022 wishlists. Lots to take stock of.
  • And lastly, on a personal note, the variety of topics, personalities and refreshing lack of conflict in this thread is truly impressive.
This morning I woke up fresh from a good night's sleep, which followed an enjoyable NYE at home with my family (by choice - no curfews or lockdowns here). And for the first time in I don't know how long, something was missing.

Gear anxiety. FOMO. Insecurity.

It's been so long since I've had no wandering thoughts about 'what's next' that I don't really know what to do with it.

This is not my first rodeo. I've been here before, and every other instance proved a false dawn. So I promised myself I wouldn't rush it this time, despite the not-too-subtle hints I've been dropping on this and other threads for the past fortnight.

But something about today just feels right.

Maybe it's the euphoria of a new year (I'm very sentimental that way), but it's more than that. Is it the joy I've had from the very first listen that's still there and getting better each day? Maybe it's the different pieces that somehow fit so well together? Or perhaps it's the sheer relief of finally scratching the itch(es) I've had for years...allthewhile wondering why I didn't scratch them sooner?

I honestly don't know. What I do know is that this time there's been no copious note taking, no A/B comparisons, no shuffling track after track looking for highlights (and lowlights).

Every day I'm finding something new, novel and exciting about simply listening, and every night I go to bed more convinced this is what I set out to find all along, when I took those first tentative steps down the rabbit hole.

No doubt there'll be chatter aplenty once you've seen what it is that I've been waffling on about. So I'm just going to leave it here, and see y'all around the 'cooler.

PSX_20220101_141608.jpg

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #9,022 of 91,358
Listened to them tonight out of the R6 as well as the RU6 and it surprisingly sounded amazing out of both of them. No need a higher end Timeless as this blows both the Timeless and P1 out of the water.

The RU6, in the space of about two weeks, has already become a daily part of my music-listening life. It's just a damn good device. Waiting on my case to arrive from Cayin so I can protect it from all that mean it harm... :)

On the topic of the Sundara, it's a stellar planar but especially with amplification. Despite its low impedance and quoted high sensitivity I still prefer it with an amp. Listening to it on the RU6 it is clean, musical and a comfortable listen but just doesn't have the dynamism I know it's capable of. But each to their own and to have something to hand thats comfortably mobile and such high quality for such a reasonable price is great for everyone!

My current dream pairing is the SR80x > RU6 > phone. It's such a lightweight set up thats so versatile and the RU6 commands that 40mm driver without issue.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #9,023 of 91,358
Happy New Year Everyone!!

It’s been a great pleasure and honor to be so lovingly accepted among all the wonderful, talented and intelligent humans here.

I immensely enjoy the dialogue, the support and encouragement from all of you.

Thank you for the best gift of 2021 and into 2022…friendship.

Live Long and Prosper!

💥💫🎆✨🎇
Happy new year all! :) Although it's already 16:20 here as I'm typing viewing the warm sunset. This watercooler place is slowly turning into an oasis, it's been a pleasant experience to be able to read and exchange with everyone here. Such a rarity and friendly treat!

It's not new year without rice pound cake. So here's a celebratory Mochi :) For having reached 600 pages, and from now on more and beyond!
taken-1641017865601.jpg

Cheers to you both-- this has been a rough year in many ways and this community has been a great little respite from the trials of daily life for me and both of you (among others) have been integral. Here's to a another great year of community, fellowship, great gear and great music!

Feeling giddy playing with the hybrid final MAKE2 (1DD + 1BA) filters https://snext-final.com/en/products/detail/MAKE2

taken-1641017876924.jpg
taken-1641018291696.jpg
taken-1641018357738.jpg
taken-1641018468039.jpg
taken-1641018614926.jpg
taken-1641018805734.jpg

The bass and vocals on these are absolutely gorgeous, and with the addition of the filters, you can also attenuate the lower or upper frequencies each to the level of your liking. Plus tips selection, it's so much fun configuring the sound! :)

What a cool idea. Like one of those make-your-own transistor radio kits I used to play with as a kid lol

For those with a thirst for DD mids

*ahem*

I highly recommend giving the final A4000 a go! :) Single 6mm DD sound, with exceptionally high resolution and clarity. It's mind-boggling the price difference between this and A8000. The A4000 provides a really good vaue at around $150, and for vocal lovers these are a must try
taken-1641020140474.jpg
re_0000_7J1A6750.jpg

Nice :)

I wish a very happy new year to all you great people here. I wish great health and prosperity for you all and your families.

A few days a go @HiFiHawaii808 wrote something about Michael Jackson and I wanted to write something about him, but didn't. Now I take this occasion to do so.

He is a big reason for my love and passion for music from a very young age. Everytime Thriller came on TV I became a lunatic. I was just in awe of him. Like seriously hypnotized. It's like he felt the beat in every bone of his body and he was one with it. I think that's why when he sings, he doesn't enunciate the words probably and the lyrics often are barely comprehensible. His singing was often the extension of the music and beat, and what's he was feeling deep inside.

I still love him and listen to his wonderful music quite often. I cried like a baby when he died. I know he suffered immensely later in life. I hope he has found great peace and love in the afterlife, as I know he has touched the lives of millions of people.

And this music video is quite special for me. The whole thing is just pure magic.
It's where I find him the too.

Nice I'm a big MJ fan as well-- I grew up through "Thriller mania" and Michael Jackson was practically a deity. The docu-film "This is It" is very much worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

This gag from Hot Tub Time Machine where the 3 main characters slowly wake up to the fact that they've traveled back 30 years in time always slays me:

I forgot to add the Sundara as one of the best purchases of 2021. I've been neglecting them because I thought they require desktop amplification in order to sound good, but I was wrong.

Listened to them tonight out of the R6 as well as the RU6 and it surprisingly sounded amazing out of both of them. No need a higher end Timeless as this blows both the Timeless and P1 out of the water. Of course the use case will be different here. But at around $600 for the Sundara and RU6 could be an endgame planar rig for many. It's that good. Not only is it highly technical but this combo is musical as well and captures the emotion just as good. Strikes the perfect balance. 👌

It just past midnight as I'm writing this so cheers all to a happy 2022! 🥂

giphy.webp

Same to you sir!

1-1-22 simple pattern.
Happy first everyone.
Foggy here and warm for January.

Happy New Year my friend I've really enjoyed chatting with you and being inspired by your craft & artwork...could use some of that warm weather over hear on the west side:

3D7D4E7E-8ED3-4428-A165-A1FC7135207E.JPEG

— 64 Audio U6t x Cayin RU6 —
The combo the year 2022 will have to beat

Nice the RU6 is sure something. My personal combo to beat for the year:

7165C523-7828-42AA-BF3D-82390EC25926.JPEG

It will probably take an R2R DAP and a next gen planar to top it for me.

Happy 2022 to the Watercooler crew! May the year ahead bring you joy and prosperity, but also peace, good health and personal contentment.

I've literally just finished catching up on the six (or seven!?) pages I missed since yesterday evening. Far too much to quote and reply to, so off the top of my head:
  • Great end-of-year reviews, @Scuba Devils with a really entertaining and music-filled Dark Sky adventure, and @Rockwell75 with a comprehensive appraisal of Zen Pro. Brilliant insights that I get to enjoy vicariously through your experiences.
  • To everyone else for the colourful mix of movie reviews, location shots and 2022 wishlists. Lots to take stock of.
  • And lastly, on a personal note, the variety of topics, personalities and refreshing lack of conflict in this thread is truly impressive.
This morning I woke up fresh from a good night's sleep, which followed an enjoyable NYE at home with my family (by choice - no curfews or lockdowns here). And for the first time in I don't know how long, something was missing.

It's been so long since I've had no wandering thoughts about 'what's next' that I don't really know what to do with it.

This is not my first rodeo. I've been here before, and every other instance proved a false dawn. So I promised myself I wouldn't rush it this time, despite the not-too-subtle hints I've been dropping on this and other threads for the past fortnight.

Maybe it's the euphoria of a new year (I'm very sentimental that way), but it's more than that. Is it the joy I've had from the very first listen that's still there and getting better each day? Maybe it's the different pieces that somehow fit so well together? Or perhaps it's the sheer relief of finally scratching the itch(es) I've had for years...allthewhile wondering why I didn't scratch them sooner?

I honestly don't know. What I do know is that this time there's been no copious note taking, no A/B comparisons, no shuffling track after track looking for highlights (and lowlights).

Every day I'm finding something new, novel and exciting about simply listening, and every night I go to bed more convinced this is what I set out to find all along, when I took those first tentative steps down the rabbit hole.

No doubt there'll be chatter aplenty once you've seen what it is that I've been waffling on about. So I'm just going to leave it here, and see y'all around the 'cooler.

PSX_20220101_141608.jpg

Cheers my friend-- thank-you for your continued thoughtful commentary and uncommonly deep clarity and insight...it's been great having you here! (RE the IER Z1R rounding out your collection "You have chosen wisely" and "I knew it" respectively :D)

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #9,024 of 91,358

PSX_20220101_141608.jpg
Nice photos of the z1r. I still miss mine. Except for two things. I thought they were really ugly, and the fit was painful. More power to you if you can wear them comfortably because they sound great.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #9,025 of 91,358
Submitted my Dunu Zen Pro review. I couldn't resist the symmetry as one year ago today I submitted a review of the Vision Ears Elysium-- it's amazing how much can happen in a year.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #9,026 of 91,358

PSX_20220101_141608.jpg
Good for you. If you are in the same place on 1/1/23, then you may be the first and only Headphoneus Supremus to kick the audiophile gear adding addiction.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #9,027 of 91,358
Good for you. If you are in the same place on 1/1/23, then you may be the first and only Headphoneus Supremus to kick the audiophile gear adding addiction

That's my goal. Baby steps though I'm going to see if I can make it to February first.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #9,028 of 91,358
That's my goal. Baby steps though I'm going to see if I can make it to February first.
My goal is to lose 25 pounds. I actually lost 18 pounds last year....... Then, I put it all back on. I bet you can't keep your top 10 unchanged until Feb 1.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #9,029 of 91,358
My goal is to lose 25 pounds. I actually lost 18 pounds last year....... Then, I put it all back on. I bet you can't keep your top 10 unchanged until Feb 1.

Will probably depend on if VE gets around to shipping me the Ext & Phonix tour package…if/when they do I anticipate a shakeup.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #9,030 of 91,358

PSX_20220101_141608.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, means a lot.

The Z1R, I do hope to try it at some point, always been nervous about the fit! Congrats and all the best for 2022!

My first day of 2022 has been spent flat on the floor - a back issue has flared up. On the bright side, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Black Widow with my son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back