The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 31, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #8,986 of 89,901
Happy New Ears to all!

Although some may have noticed I have retired from the Watercooler thread plus some others (saving myself a mere 3 or so hours per day!) I wanted to reach out for a very last time with a huuuuge Thank You for all the help and friendliness received during my search a.k.a. struggle. This was really unforgettable and of tremendous value for me. I simply have no idea how I could have succeeded otherwise, really. But I have also run into myself (and because of that into others) a couple of times because of my unrelenting enthusiasm, so I have learned more than what is strictly reflected in words. I just wanted to let you know my comments were always with the very best intentions and to add something instead of taking things away! I'm sure I will meet many of you on other threads, but for now I wish you all Love, Hope, and Health for 2022!

Forever yours,

Joop
I've only been following this thread for a few weeks. You seemed to be part of the furniture. Why are you leaving?

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #8,988 of 89,901
Happy New Ears to all!

Although some may have noticed I have retired from the Watercooler thread plus some others (saving myself a mere 3 or so hours per day!) I wanted to reach out for a very last time with a huuuuge Thank You for all the help and friendliness received during my search a.k.a. struggle. This was really unforgettable and of tremendous value for me. I simply have no idea how I could have succeeded otherwise, really. But I have also run into myself (and because of that into others) a couple of times because of my unrelenting enthusiasm, so I have learned more than what is strictly reflected in words. I just wanted to let you know my comments were always with the very best intentions and to add something instead of taking things away! I'm sure I will meet many of you on other threads, but for now I wish you all Love, Hope, and Health for 2022!

Forever yours,

Joop
Which is better the journey or the destination?

When we do arrive it is natural if it is so wondrous that we would want to help people find their way faster to the destination.

HeadFi and this group of people are one of the best parts of the journey, and Joop for the past many weeks we have relived our journeys so far, in your questions. Reminding me of the joy in the discovery of these wonderful people IEMs and DAPs.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #8,989 of 89,901
So it's 2022 here in Ireland and looking back at the rollercoaster that was 2021, I have to say there is one item in particular that stands out that absolutely amazed me right out of the box and in spite of the hype, it took me by surprise - that is of course Timeless. As @Rockwell75 mentioned, there are kinks to be ironed out but it has an incredibly addictive tuning and for me in particular, works amazingly with ambient music - it has a soundstage and imaging that is nothing like I've heard before, presumably down to being planar. I can see this being a daily IEM for me and like others, I'm already thinking of buying a backup set, just in case. While it's been burning in today, I've been thinking about it and finding moments to again plug in my ears and get whisked away. All of this for less than $200 - what an achievement from 7Hz!

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #8,990 of 89,901
So it's 2022 here in Ireland and looking back at the rollercoaster that was 2021, I have to say there is one item in particular that stands out that absolutely amazed me right out of the box and in spite of the hype, it took me by surprise - that is of course Timeless. As @Rockwell75 mentioned, there are kinks to be ironed out but it has an incredibly addictive tuning and for me in particular, works amazingly with ambient music - it has a soundstage and imaging that is nothing like I've heard before, presumably down to being planar. I can see this being a daily IEM for me and like others, I'm already thinking of buying a backup set, just in case. While it's been burning in today, I've been thinking about it and finding moments to again plug in my ears and get whisked away. All of this for less than $200 - what an achievement from 7Hz!

Right now what I want from 2022 on the gear front is an SR25ii sized R2R DAP and the next wave of planar tech. Pretty please...

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #8,991 of 89,901
Exactly my sentiments and why I went off about it here, haha! I don’t like to shill but I had to spill my love for the timeless. Im so glad you are enjoying it as much I do.

Happy 2022 to you and yours!!

Dec 31, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #8,992 of 89,901
Exactly my sentiments and why I went off about it here, haha! I don’t like to shill but I had to spill my love for the timeless. Im so glad you are enjoying it as much I do.

Happy 2022 to you and yours!!

There's nothing like the sheer enthusiasm associated with a new discovery, delighted we can share with one another and ultimately influence how we further enjoy this hobby... very pleased you were vocal about Timeless as it certainly helped me decide to pull the trigger!

Happy New Year to you too.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #8,993 of 89,901
55 years too late...but what a gig.

271080198_10226667997143099_8732035154018476587_n.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #8,994 of 89,901
Dark Sky review is up, I nervously and quietly hit submit earlier today...

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/faudio-dark-sky.25484/reviews#review-27602

I was curious about Dark Sky... great to know it works great with Jazz (Incidentally I was listening to Matthew Halsall right when I followed the link "Salute to the sun", fantastic album :heartbeat: Also ran "Colour Yes" which I had missed, fabulous as well) and nice to have a comparison to IE900 which I own, gives me an excellent reference point. Ah and Isabellae I keep running into great feedback and looks like my brand of sound.

Very nice read, I know how much time went into that review, it clearly shows!
Great way to start the new year :wink:

I hadn't come across Julia Jacklin and listened to it as I read the review, this one is added to my favs :)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #8,996 of 89,901
Happy new year to all of you..
Hope in 2022 we can enjoy music more than our gears..
Wise words... it's easy to get drowned in the upgraditis and fall into the gear centric pitfall... also for us reviewers it's easy to get a bit worn down by the time we spend on writing about gear. 2022 is the year I'll probably stop at least the rate I have been going on for these past 3 years, just casual occasional reviewing and just enjoy music, do as many meetups as the situation will allow (this is the best times!).

This being said, gear can be a great conduit to enjoy music :wink:
I know in my last VE/Ely review I spent quite a bit of time throwing some "tracks review" and make it more about music as well.

I know I am set for a great 2022 just fell into the headphones / amp rabbit hole and I must say this is gear that gives you a level of enjoyment I experienced briefly auditioning others gear but it's another matter having your own.

I love that we share a lot of artists, albums on this thread and it opens up new musical discoveries :heartbeat:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #8,997 of 89,901
HAPPY NEW YEAR YOU ALL

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #8,999 of 89,901
Happy New Year everyone. Yesterday, I told my son I got a new dongle and I wanted to know what he thought about it. His full sized headphones are Focal Clear OG. He hooked up the RU6 and he instantly loved it. I got it back last night to listen and then went out to get lunch. I get home and the RU6 is gone. My son took it and is listening to it all day. I think he just took it over and I'll probably need to buy a new one now. He's really picky about what he likes. This says a lot about that little RU6.

Dec 31, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #9,000 of 89,901
Happy New Year everyone. Yesterday, I told my son I got a new dongle and I wanted to know what he thought about it. His full sized headphones are Focal Clear OG. He hooked up the RU6 and he instantly loved it. I got it back last night to listen and then went out to get lunch. I get home and the RU6 is gone. My son took it and is listening to it all day. I think he just took it over and I'll probably need to buy a new one now. He's really picky about what he likes. This says a lot about that little RU6.
So nice you can share this with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back