The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #9,031 of 91,357
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #9,032 of 91,357
Having a blast with Jowee Omicil "Let's BasH!", I am discovering the artist for those who like Jazz well highly recommended...
Pro iCAN / Stealth is a breathtaking combo there... I am in awe... new ball game for me... Pretty sure 7hz Timeless would work great as well!

IMG_7732.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #9,033 of 91,357
Thanks for the kind words, means a lot.

The Z1R, I do hope to try it at some point, always been nervous about the fit! Congrats and all the best for 2022!

My first day of 2022 has been spent flat on the floor - a back issue has flared up. On the bright side, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Black Widow with my son.
Oh man! I’m all too familiar with back issues! I was hit by a car about 14 years ago and my lower back was hurt and has also been flaring up since moving back to the Midwest, the cold weather I suppose. I wish you nothing but quick healing!

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #9,034 of 91,357
The RU6, in the space of about two weeks, has already become a daily part of my music-listening life. It's just a damn good device. Waiting on my case to arrive from Cayin so I can protect it from all that mean it harm... :)

On the topic of the Sundara, it's a stellar planar but especially with amplification. Despite its low impedance and quoted high sensitivity I still prefer it with an amp. Listening to it on the RU6 it is clean, musical and a comfortable listen but just doesn't have the dynamism I know it's capable of. But each to their own and to have something to hand thats comfortably mobile and such high quality for such a reasonable price is great for everyone!

My current dream pairing is the SR80x > RU6 > phone. It's such a lightweight set up thats so versatile and the RU6 commands that 40mm driver without issue.

Someone shared this with respect to the RU6...I'm inclined to agree:

tenor-2.gif

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #9,035 of 91,357
@DanielListening how goes it? Has the Timeless sucked you in to a higher dimension of audio reverie from whence there is no return?

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #9,036 of 91,357
I had a bit of an accident last night. I was listening to some music and wanted to go from the music track back to the playlist. To do this you can flick the screen up on the Dap. Quite by accident though I somehow activated the onscreen volume adjuster. The volume went up from my normal listening level of 25-28 to just past 90 and my ears got blasted. It was only for about 2 to 3 seconds before I managed to stop it. My ears were ringing when I went to bed, and they have been ringing constantly today. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this subsides soon and my ears recover. 🤞🤞

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #9,037 of 91,357
Will probably depend on if VE gets around to shipping me the Ext & Phonix tour package…if/when they do I anticipate a shakeup.
Yeah, I can't wait for that package from Audio Tiers. I'll be patient. Worst case is CanJam NYC. Right now, Omicron is ripping through the USA. Given how fast it is spreading, it will most likely be over by Feb.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #9,038 of 91,357
I had a bit of an accident last night. I was listening to some music and wanted to go from the music track back to the playlist. To do this you can flick the screen up on the Dap. Quite by accident though I somehow activated the onscreen volume adjuster. The volume went up from my normal listening level of 25-28 to just past 90 and my ears got blasted. It was only for about 2 to 3 seconds before I managed to stop it. My ears were ringing when I went to bed, and they have been ringing constantly today. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this subsides soon and my ears recover. 🤞🤞

Yikes...I had a similar experience once when I had the PAW S1. With that dongle you could adjust the volume on both the source and the dongle. I used to keep the dongle volume topped out and one time for whatever reason when I plugged my Solaris SE in the S1 & PAW 3K both had their volume maxed and it blew my ears out-- destroying one of my Solaris SE earpieces in the process. This is one of the reasons I love the fact that the RU6 ignores volume settings on the source and controls its volume entirely from the dongle. I'll be crossing my fingers that your ears (and gear) are undamaged.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #9,039 of 91,357
it will most likely be over by "..."

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that false promise in the past two.5 years I'd be able to move up to desktop gear.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #9,040 of 91,357
If the exposure is only for a couple seconds, I’m confident you’ll be fine. Permanent hearing damage only occurs if you’re exposed for a few minutes and/or hours, depending on the volume. ‘Hope you get well soon, and try not to think about it as well. Sometimes, and I say this from experience, it’s as much a mental ring as it is a physical one.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #9,041 of 91,357
No doubt there'll be chatter aplenty once you've seen what it is that I've been waffling on about.
I hope to experience your delight before long. The last time I got to audition a bunch of IEMs at the same time was at the last CanJam in NY. I had a funny, embarrassing experience with the Z1R: the Sony tips didn't seal well enough for me but when I removed the IEMs, the tips got stuck in my ears. None of the guys at the Sony table could get them out and salvation came only with a friendly representative of Westone who had a pair of tweezers in her hotel room, which she kindly went to get and came back to rescue me. Two lessons from this: take tweezers and tips of your own for auditions - and give the Z1R a second shot, which I look forward to doing at CanJam next month. Congrats on finding a happy place!

And happy 2022 to everyone!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #9,042 of 91,357
I hate when that happens. I've had similar things happen to me when switching between LO and PO on certain DAPs. Ear blast sucks. I am so fearful of it now that I always turn the volume to zero whenever I change headphones or sources. I do it without even thinking now.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #9,043 of 91,357
Sorry to hear that... the scariest thing when you love music...

The first thing I do with a DAP is set the volume limit all the more since I am a low volume listener (people at meetups usually go What when they reach it)... I usually never used LO so safe that way but now that I do the first thing when I stop listening is re-set back to PO.

It happened to me a couple of times before and like @Deezel177 I think you'll be alright :fingers_crossed:

When it happened to me, I didn't think to simply unplug the cable or take off the IEMs (when it's custom quite a bit worse), don't know why it would have been faster although you can maybe damage it that way...

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #9,044 of 91,357
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that false promise in the past two.5 years I'd be able to move up to desktop gear.
yeah, especially for coronavirus.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #9,045 of 91,357
I hope to experience your delight before long. The last time I got to audition a bunch of IEMs at the same time was at the last CanJam in NY. I had a funny, embarrassing experience with the Z1R: the Sony tips didn't seal well enough for me but when I removed the IEMs, the tips got stuck in my ears. None of the guys at the Sony table could get them out and salvation came only with a friendly representative of Westone who had a pair of tweezers in her hotel room, which she kindly went to get and came back to rescue me. Two lessons from this: take tweezers and tips of your own for auditions - and give the Z1R a second shot, which I look forward to doing at CanJam next month. Congrats on finding a happy place!

And happy 2022 to everyone!
This has happened to me many times! I now keep tweezers in my audio case, it never leaves it! Great advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back