The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 12, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #89,041 of 90,051
Every single month I consider trying to find a follow-up for my Sultan. Then the next month while recounting my efforts so far I come to the conclusion that it's simply not worth the time, efforts and money trying to do so. Do I really want to find out whether #61 is better on most levels except on the ones that I value highest?

giphy.gif

drftr
It's not like the sultan has become a bad iem. Still a very good all rounder in my book

May 12, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #89,042 of 90,051
Every single month I consider trying to find a follow-up for my Sultan. Then the next month while recounting my efforts so far I come to the conclusion that it's simply not worth the time, efforts and money trying to do so. Do I really want to find out whether #61 is better on most levels except on the ones that I value highest?

giphy.gif

drftr
Have to ask: Do you ever consider IEMs that are cheaper than the one you got? Or does it have to be an IEM that is at least in the same price range?
Imo price in IEMs is not always bound to quality. Maybe you could succeed finding something special if you also include IEMs from 500 bucks and up, for example. If you didn’t do that already.

May 12, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #89,043 of 90,051
I don't find the VE10 "very bassy". On the other hand, I'm a big fan of the Xe6, so I probably don't count. N30 tube mode, low gain here. Mid and high gain make the VE10 pretty clear by the way.
Hahah I like the XE6 as well. But in comparison to the rest of the FR there’s definitely a lil more in midbass. Then throw in a source that’s warm and it starts sounding a lil congested, especially due to how smooth the treble is + VE’s smaller soundstage.

May 12, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #89,044 of 90,051
Hahah I like the XE6 as well. But in comparison to the rest of the FR there’s definitely a lil more in midbass. Then throw in a source that’s warm and it starts sounding a lil congested, especially due to how smooth the treble is + VE’s smaller soundstage.
Yes, that's right, I can confirm that!

On the other hand, I love the warm, colored and thicker sound and I'm happy to sacrifice a little stage/imaging/precision for that ❤️‍🔥.

Listening the Xe6 right now 🔥

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #89,047 of 90,051
Aurora Australis yesterday. So amazing to be able to see that here in Melbourne. Usually only seen in south of Tasmania. But the recent solar flares were so strong that could be seen here. :wink:

Not the best picture, but out of a phone can’t expect much. 🥲

1715519474989.jpeg

1715520236934.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #89,048 of 90,051
Which do you prefer? The XE6 or Z1R? 🙂
XE6 all day.

EXT > XE6 > Z1R

I’m more of a mids kind of guy so my preference here kind of reflects that.
Yes, that's right, I can confirm that!

On the other hand, I love the warm, colored and thicker sound and I'm happy to sacrifice a little stage/imaging/precision for that ❤️‍🔥.

Listening the Xe6 right now 🔥
Of course. Ve10 is still #1 for me.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #89,051 of 90,051
It’s more an inside joke, not a serious remark :dt880smile:

Though if you wait a while, you will see “U12t is boring” and “u12t is overrated” incoming.
True. 😇

Oups, sorry 😂

May 12, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #89,052 of 90,051
These are so beautiful that my wife, who is utterly and completely over hearing about or seeing anything audio related, saw the pic over my shoulder and said "Oooooo!"

Take advantage of this! Pick out an IEM, and then help her customize it. Once she's hooked, she'll understand. :smile:

If I still have my supv3 for socal cj, let's make it happen. Previously I liked the horus octa with it, but this pairing might be my #1 pick now.

Oooh, thank you! 🥰 That would be fantastic!

Have to ask: Do you ever consider IEMs that are cheaper than the one you got? Or does it have to be an IEM that is at least in the same price range?
Imo price in IEMs is not always bound to quality. Maybe you could succeed finding something special if you also include IEMs from 500 bucks and up, for example. If you didn’t do that already.

Would be such irony if his perfect IEM was the Bellos X4! 🤣

May 12, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #89,053 of 90,051
I’m more of a mids kind of guy so my preference here kind of reflects that.
I was just about to say...as a bass-first guy I have them the opposite way, though with EXT waaaaay below Xe6. I look forward to hearing VEX sometime this month.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #89,054 of 90,051
Would be such irony if his perfect IEM was the Bellos X4! 🤣
There's plenty of "cheap" IEMs on my demo list and X4 certainly is among them. I'd rather have less money at risk when travelling than more.

@warrenpchi Would Bellos automatically show up at CJ London if FiR shows up?

EDIT: Currently on my Try Or Die list:

NiceHCK Himalaya
634ears LOAK TX-02
Bellos Audio X4
Noble Spartacus
Melodic Artification Alter Ego
Lime Ears Terra
Oriolus Monachaa
Craft Ears Omnium
Fitear DC
Vision Ears Aura

Second chance: