The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 12, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #89,056 of 90,092
Take advantage of this! Pick out an IEM, and then help her customize it. Once she's hooked, she'll understand. :smile:
Believe me, I've tried! She is adverse to putting anything in her ears so she won't even try my iems. She uses Oladance open ear headphone things. They sound like crap 🤣

May 12, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #89,057 of 90,092
I was just about to say...as a bass-first guy I have them the opposite way, though with EXT waaaaay below Xe6. I look forward to hearing VEX sometime this month.
Hahah yes definitely. If I were to rank in terms of bass then it’s definitely switched around.

Edit:

On another note, VE10 is a weird one with power. Scales very nicely with better amps. (Merason Dac 1 + Niimbus sounded soo..soo good…) but hisses so much if it isn’t clean.

May 12, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #89,058 of 90,092
There's plenty of "cheap" IEMs on my demo list and X4 certainly is among them. I'd rather have less money at risk when travelling than more.

@warrenpchi Would Bellos automatically show up at CJ London if FiR shows up?

EDIT: Currently on my Try Or Die list:

NiceHCK Himalaya
634ears LOAK TX-02
Bellos Audio X4
Noble Spartacus
Melodic Artification Alter Ego
Lime Ears Terra
Oriolus Monachaa
Craft Ears Omnium
Fitear DC
Vision Ears Aura

Second chance:

Noble Onyx
Vision Ears VE10
64 Audio Volür

drftr
good selection!
I can still very much recommend the Timsok Ts-316 :p Although you will want another cable for it.
Hisenior Mega5est is supposed to be good
Thieaudio Prestige Ltd, too
Craft Ears Aurum maybe??
OR
How about the Noble Sultan? I think it might be to your taste...
how about the Noble

May 12, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #89,059 of 90,092
Hahah yes definitely. If I were to rank in terms of bass then it’s definitely switched around.

Edit:

On another note, VE10 is a weird one with power. Scales very nicely with better amps. (Merason Dac 1 + Niimbus sounded soo..soo good…) but hisses so much if it isn’t clean.
I was quite surprised you picked the XE6 ahead of the Z1R, as I remembered you saying the Z1R was muddy, hence the question. Great choice though! 🍺

May 12, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #89,060 of 90,092
I was quite surprised you picked the XE6 ahead of the Z1R, as I remembered you saying the Z1R was muddy, hence the question. Great choice though! 🍺
Well my justification there is that I’m looking at bass alone and nothing else. There’s no mids to be muddied 😂

May 12, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #89,062 of 90,092
I asked recently whether there was consideration to place a DD in a BA/EST IEM recently (it’s a question many have asked). The answer as more complex than I had initially acknowledged. From tuning, phase alignment, sound tubes, IEM internal structure, space, circuitry, crossover, tuning … it’s just ‘not that simple’ as whacking a DD into an IEM. Sure, you could do it and there are plenty of options. But to get it ‘just right’ seems to be like solving a Rubric Cube. BA’s and circuitry can also be intentionally tuned to emphasise the bass response.

Yes, DD have some advantages simply because of the volume of air they can move. That’s why there is a great deal of choice. FIR XE6 ; the upcoming Duality come to mind as IEM’s that intentionally have prioritised bass.
Oh, for sure, and those are the nuances that often go unnoticed. IEMs aren’t just drivers whacked together with no rhyme or reason. They have to pick drivers that work together electrically (impedance, sensitivity, etc.) and sonically (timbre, speed, FR curve, etc). As you said, it’s way more complex than simply plug-and-play, and that expertise is really what’s behind TOTL IEMs’ huge MSRPs.

These are so beautiful that my wife, who is utterly and completely over hearing about or seeing anything audio related, saw the pic over my shoulder and said "Oooooo!"
This is your chance to pull her down the rabbit hole. 😋

May 12, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #89,063 of 90,092
Might not be so high end as many in this water cooler thread, but this Sony WM1ZM2 with Audio Technica ATH-IEX1 combo sounds really good for female vocals! 😍
IMG_20240510_122215.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #89,064 of 90,092
Might not be so high end as many in this water cooler thread, but this Sony WM1ZM2 with Audio Technica ATH-IEX1 combo sounds really good for female vocals! 😍
Gold Brick is MAGIC 🪄

May 12, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #89,065 of 90,092
This is absolute sonic bliss - an at times challenging listen but utterly captivating and incredible via R8 II and Perpetua.

Murcof - The Alias Sessions

IMG_3945.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #89,066 of 90,092
There's plenty of "cheap" IEMs on my demo list and X4 certainly is among them. I'd rather have less money at risk when travelling than more.

NiceHCK Himalaya
634ears LOAK TX-02
Bellos Audio X4
Noble Spartacus
Lime Ears Terra
Oriolus Monachaa
Craft Ears Omnium
Fitear DC
Vision Ears Aura

Second chance:

Noble Onyx
Vision Ears VE10
64 Audio Volür

drftr
Nice list! I've already started my Canjam socal 'must try' list as well, and we overlap a lot! I came late to the iem game so last year I got to hear a ton of the classics like the z1r, u12t, andromeda, etc. Here is my list so far:

Campfire Bonneville & trifecta
Trialli OG
mest indigo and mk3
CP54E at MusicTeck & Canpur 622B
Noble Onyx
symphonium titan
Dita Perpetua & Project M
Bellos X4
Noble Sultan
Oriolus Monachaa

May 12, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #89,068 of 90,092

NiceHCK Himalaya
634ears LOAK TX-02
Bellos Audio X4
Noble Spartacus
Lime Ears Terra
Oriolus Monachaa
Craft Ears Omnium
Fitear DC
Vision Ears Aura

Second chance:

Noble Onyx
Vision Ears VE10
64 Audio Volür

drftr
ME Alter Ego
Monachaa
Pilgrim Noir
Quattro
Canpur 54E
Campfire Audio shtuff

my 634ears set should be here soon™️

I managed to convince my partner to buy me a Trio while drunk the other night and that should be here today 😂

May 12, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #89,069 of 90,092

NiceHCK Himalaya
634ears LOAK TX-02
Bellos Audio X4
Noble Spartacus
Lime Ears Terra
Oriolus Monachaa
Craft Ears Omnium
Fitear DC
Vision Ears Aura

Second chance:

Noble Onyx
Vision Ears VE10
64 Audio Volür

drftr
Try list:

Canpur CP622B
Bellos X4
Any Vision Ears IEM (Aura, VE10) with best Mids
Symphonium Crimson/Titan
Storm

May 12, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #89,070 of 90,092
These are so beautiful that my wife, who is utterly and completely over hearing about or seeing anything audio related, saw the pic over my shoulder and said "Oooooo!"

If my older brother was on this forum he'd be so personally offended 🤣
It was a thing in the mid 90’s, I definitely did it with my Eclipse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back