The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #8,761 of 88,386
Any obvious candidates for the U12t or are the stock tips adequate to get the message across?
Not sure anyone's got back to you on U12t tips, but I'm using Final E on my U6t, that's what I used to demo it along with U12t, Duo, and a few other 64Audio. The stock tips are all still sitting on the funky wheel-thingy back in the box, haven't touched them.

64Audio's have a narrow bore, so Final E suits them well.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #8,762 of 88,386
You can within your browser but within Head-Fi I think you can't. For the first option you'd simply create a map in your browser bookmarks and then right-click on the post number in the grey bar on the top right (if you're using a computer currently). That should give you normal bookmark functionality. It will add a bookmark with the post number as its name so you'd need to add some description not to go crazy later on.

drftr
I have spreadsheets, Notes, and browser tabs full of HF bookmark'ed posts that I want to refer to later. Or I just search in the threads where I'm pretty sure I read something before...

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #8,763 of 88,386
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #8,764 of 88,386
1, 2 and 5 are highend Satin Audio cable names. Zeus is + $1000 , the others are not.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #8,765 of 88,386
View out my window this morning as the sun rises. Minus 15 for us here on the coast.

270317973_10166192753740654_4088013483324780982_n.jpg
I’m on the direct opposite side of the globe to you 😄 (taken yesterday)

42A3511C-5CE8-4302-8036-E2D7A9AB1640.jpeg

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #8,766 of 88,386
I’m on the direct opposite side of the globe to you 😄 (taken yesterday)

42A3511C-5CE8-4302-8036-E2D7A9AB1640.jpeg

Yeah lol I was in New Zealand in December 2018 and everyone was gearing up for Christmas in blazing hot weather-- the biggest Christmas tradition there is to go camping with family...not gonna happen here lol.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #8,767 of 88,386
I'm at ease with anything that makes me happy-- my playlist is all over the map really. My favorite composer/writer/producer of music of all time is actually film score composer John Barry-- whose work in the early Bond films and films like Dances With Wolves has set the bar for me in terms of both excitement and engagement as well as plumbing the depths of emotion feeling and dare I say spiritual yearning.

A few of my faves:

The best action theme ever composed by anyone. Still gives me chills every time:

A hauntingly beautiful theme:

Another exciting early Bond theme:

This one is rather soul stirring and belies the cartoon stupidity of the movie it's from:

Another very soul-stirring track from the same movie. Pound for pound this may be my favorite musical composition of the 20th century. When that march kicks in in the middle...man oh man.

Another favorite from a later work:

Nice, and here's a couple more because I love Barry and can't resist :)

This is a great tension building track. This soundtrack is notable as Barry was the first to use Moog synthesizers in compositions like this and the title track above:

You'll probably recognize this melody:

Some great 80s pop composed by the master:

Cool theme from a non-Bond spy film from the 60s:

And one more for good measure:

Nice! I saw that movie long ago but didn't remember Barry being the composer...I'll have a listen :)

So I went through all of your suggestions (Mehran's and Deezel's waiting for tomorrow) and can't help feeling you're shortchanging yourself. 🤨 Assuming your admiration on one hand is because of fond memories of the movie, but on the other hand because of the quality of the compositions, performance, and how they suck you into the drama unfolding, I truly think there's a whole new dimension for you to be discovered.

What I am hearing in these pieces (without having the visual link to the movies nor the sentiment that comes with it) is that these are basically all orchestral pieces from the so called Romantic Era, but, for my ears, enriched with a hefty dose of cheesy-ness 😁 and going way too fast in the build-up of the true drama unfolding. Not the drama in the movie, but the drama in the music. Taking the time to build up emotions through thorough composition and playfulness of instrument groups and vocalists adds a whole new level of understanding what the composer was trying to say and how the conductor thinks those feelings should be presented to the audience.

Knowing how you truly experience the music you are listening to I think there's a whole world waiting out there. There's literally hundreds of short and accessible classical pieces that do exactly what the soundtracks you linked to achieve, but they do it in such a way that you'll feel like you're sucked into a vortex, and then some. This, without any visuals, leaves the interpretation totally up to you, so you have near-total artistic freedom should you want to visualize. Compare reading a patient book with a movie that is in a hurry.

Will you get the drama upon first listen? No you won't... Nor during the 3rd or 5th listen. But when you start listening to a classical piece while you're doing some other things for 3-4-5 times until you start recognizing certain parts and start humming in tune that is the sign that you're ready to actually sit down for the piece, shut off the world, and enjoy the drama unfolding. Needless to say with every follow-up session you prepare your emotions in anticipation of what you remember and take the hit harder, because we all want to be moved.

I have left out excellent musicianship here, plus interpretations that vary depending on the conductor, the way these pieces are presented sonically, etcetera, as I think that is far less important than learning how to open your heart and soul for a new way of understanding. I'm not sure how experienced you are with classical music but I'm going to send you an illegal link to the piece I immediately had to think of during listening to your suggestions. Half an hour. Twice weekly. And the rest will be history... 😎

drftr

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #8,768 of 88,386
So I went through all of your suggestions (Mehran's and Deezel's waiting for tomorrow) and can't help feeling you're shortchanging yourself. 🤨 Assuming your admiration on one hand is because of fond memories of the movie, but on the other hand because of the quality of the compositions, performance, and how they suck you into the drama unfolding, I truly think there's a whole new dimension for you to be discovered.

What I am hearing in these pieces (without having the visual link to the movies nor the sentiment that comes with it) is that these are basically all orchestral pieces from the so called Romantic Era, but, for my ears, enriched with a hefty dose of cheesy-ness 😁 and going way too fast in the build-up of the true drama unfolding. Not the drama in the movie, but the drama in the music. Taking the time to build up emotions through thorough composition and playfulness of instrument groups and vocalists adds a whole new level of understanding what the composer was trying to say and how the conductor thinks those feelings should be presented to the audience.

Knowing how you truly experience the music you are listening to I think there's a whole world waiting out there. There's literally hundreds of short and accessible classical pieces that do exactly what the soundtracks you linked to achieve, but they do it in such a way that you'll feel like you're sucked into a vortex, and then some. This, without any visuals, leaves the interpretation totally up to you, so you have near-total artistic freedom should you want to visualize. Compare reading a patient book with a movie that is in a hurry.

Will you get the drama upon first listen? No you won't... Nor during the 3rd or 5th listen. But when you start listening to a classical piece while you're doing some other things for 3-4-5 times until you start recognizing certain parts and start humming in tune that is the sign that you're ready to actually sit down for the piece, shut off the world, and enjoy the drama unfolding. Needless to say with every follow-up session you prepare your emotions in anticipation of what you remember and take the hit harder, because we all want to be moved.

I have left out excellent musicianship here, plus interpretations that vary depending on the conductor, the way these pieces are presented sonically, etcetera, as I think that is far less important than learning how to open your heart and soul for a new way of understanding. I'm not sure how experienced you are with classical music but I'm going to send you an illegal link to the piece I immediately had to think of during listening to your suggestions. Half an hour. Twice weekly. And the rest will be history... 😎

drftr
Count me in for that link, yo!

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #8,769 of 88,386
So I went through all of your suggestions... and can't help feeling you're shortchanging yourself. 🤨 Assuming your admiration on one hand is because of fond memories of the movie, but on the other hand because of the quality of the compositions, performance, and how they suck you into the drama unfolding, I truly think there's a whole new dimension for you to be discovered.

To be totally frank I'm feeling a little blind sided by this comment-- I was not expecting (or inviting) an in-depth critique of the music. You'd inquired about a genre that I most connected with-- and there are many, of which classical is one, but I shared the Barry stuff both because of how much I value it on its own, but also for the special place it has in my heart due to the singular role it has played in my own musical and life journey. I am well aware of the cheesy veneer that must accompany anything attached to a 70s Bond movie...but I stand by the sentiments I expressed and would argue that the length of a piece has no intrinsic connection to its inherent depth or worth. I can be as enchanted in 2 minutes as I can in 30-- time is, as Einstein said, naught but an incredibly persistent illusion.

drftr

I got the link-- thankyou. I am very familiar with the piece in question Here is something along those lines that I listen to ritualistically before bed (it's 30 minutes to boot-- and sounds divine on Isa).

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #8,770 of 88,386
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #8,771 of 88,386
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #8,772 of 88,386
For whatever reason I never got around to plugging the Duo into the RU6 until tonight...mamma mia...another wonderful pairing and another big win for the RU6. This might be the best bass I've heard through the little dongle yet...Duo's bass is tighter, more disciplined, pluckier and less boomy than through the M8...and the mids are absolutely perfect...forward, clear & bodied. It's getting harder to resist trying to find a more robust R2R experience in the form of a DAP right now as I know that many better options are undoubtedly right on the horizon.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #8,773 of 88,386
I've a lot of catching up with this thread - great to see several soundtracks posted, I grew up on so many of those movies as a kid in the 80s. Some of my fondest memories of childhood are sat watching a movie on a Saturday night, be it a video rental or whatever was being broadcast on TV. Such a different world we live in with the ability to access any media now, on tap. I loved the trip to our local video library, often taking ages to choose something or indeed marching in straight to latest releases with something specific in mind, hell bent on getting a copy while still one available!

This was actually the first LP I bought, I adored the movie and I clearly remember going to a music store in Dublin with my Mum to buy it, I would have been about 9. Still have it too!

R-1607555-1454514278-5625.jpeg.jpg

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #8,774 of 88,386
You can within your browser but within Head-Fi I think you can't. For the first option you'd simply create a map in your browser bookmarks and then right-click on the post number in the grey bar on the top right (if you're using a computer currently). That should give you normal bookmark functionality. It will add a bookmark with the post number as its name so you'd need to add some description not to go crazy later on.

drftr
Found a workaround - Copied the respective post links and saved them as comments under my status!

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #8,775 of 88,386
I've a lot of catching up with this thread - great to see several soundtracks posted, I grew up on so many of those movies as a kid in the 80s. Some of my fondest memories of childhood are sat watching a movie on a Saturday night, be it a video rental or whatever was being broadcast on TV. Such a different world we live in with the ability to access any media now, on tap. I loved the trip to our local video library, often taking ages to choose something or indeed marching in straight to latest releases with something specific in mind, hell bent on getting a copy while still one available!

This was actually the first LP I bought, I adored the movie and I clearly remember going to a music store in Dublin with my Mum to buy it, I would have been about 9. Still have it too!

No way! This is so classic. I was thinking this may not be the place to show love this strong, but of course, the ‘cooler reps hard. I listened to this like 5 times on repeat a few months ago, and it still rules.

I think it was the Ti and Solaris that sounded the best to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back