The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #8,776 of 88,387
Since we're on the topic, any Ennio Morricone fans here?

Yes!!! Just a few from my collection:

Screenshots_2021-12-30-09-52-26.png

My dad had a cassette tape of Morricone western themes he took in the car during long road trips, and as a kid I remember playing it in repeat without ever having watched most of the movies the music was from. Which segways into...
To be totally frank I'm feeling a little blind sided by this comment-- I was not expecting (or inviting) an in-depth critique of the music. You'd inquired about a genre that I most connected with-- and there are many, of which classical is one, but I shared the Barry stuff both because of how much I value it on its own, but also for the special place it has in my heart due to the singular role it has played in my own musical and life journey. I am well aware of the cheesy veneer that must accompany anything attached to a 70s Bond movie...but I stand by the sentiments I expressed and would argue that the length of a piece has no intrinsic connection to its inherent depth or worth. I can be as enchanted in 2 minutes as I can in 30-- time is, as Einstein said, naught but an incredibly persistent illusion.
Sadly some people who don't connect with film miss out on some of the greatest music ever made, for screen or otherwise. There are soundtracks that transcend the screen with their brilliance (Dances With Wolves, The Last Mohican, Gladiator...), and there are artists that produce film music that's not even attached to films (Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps From Hell, audiomachine...). For me, as a film enthusiast first and foremost, my love for music is inextricably tied to my love for film. When a certain piece of music connects you to an emotional moment in film, the combination of the two transcends what either one is able to achieve alone. Even a few piano keys (Max Richter's 'My Brilliant Friend') can evoke such a swell of emotion once you've seen the series, that even when heard on its own, that emotional connection is unshakable. Selling the music short because it's attached to film, for me, misses the point completely.

I should write a post about my multi-gigabyte collection of film scores, epic and trailer music one day. I think I shared some with @Damz87 a while back, so I can hunt that down if anyone's interested.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #8,777 of 88,387
@drftr The final A8000 might also be a good option if you're looking for a single DD for classical

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #8,778 of 88,387
Listening to Michael Jackson Number Ones tonight with EE Legend EVO.

No artist more exemplifies to me the intention of Legend EVO than Michael Jackson. The EVO is perfectly tuned for his music.

When you hear "Dirty Diana" on the Legend EVO you understand just how perfect its tuning is for Movie Soundtracks. It's like listening to one of those THX trailers in a movie theatre.

I grew up with Michael Jackson as I first listened to him singing "I Want You Back" with the Jackson 5 and looked forward to watching Jackson 5 cartoon on Saturday mornings

I was in college when Michael Jackson Thriller came out and he became a worldwide sensation and Moon Walked to "Billie Jean" for the first time on the Motown 25

And then the 30th Anniversary celebration with my favorite Michael Jackson live performance "The Way You Make Me Feel"

And Captain EO at EPCOT Center is Disney World with "Another Part of Me"

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #8,779 of 88,387
I should write a post about my multi-gigabyte collection of film scores, epic and trailer music one day. I think I shared some with @Damz87 a while back, so I can hunt that down if anyone's interested.

Please do. I love film and film scores. The escape and perspective a good film can provide is unbeatable.

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #8,780 of 88,387
Please do. I love film and film scores. The escape and perspective a good film can provide is unbeatable.
Adding film discussion to The Watercooler is something I'd be keen to see as well. Fun fact: I used to run a short-lived movie review blog before I ever got on Head-Fi or THL. Looking back, it definitely isn't my best work; not by a mile. :D But. it was good practice, and I do love movies about as much as I love audio. I sure talk about them more often, but that's mostly because there are more people in my life who know what a movie is vs. what treble peak is responsible for that hushing you're hearing in the back of your mix. :p

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #8,781 of 88,387
Very Much looking forward to your review Scuba! Appreciate all the hard work for the community.

Thanks for the kind words - I'm an absolute amatuer in this regard and nervous to be honest when I read the quality of reviews on Head-Fi but I'll try my best! It had me up late last night, tired this morning but great to be off work for the week :)

Oh and Timeless out for delivery!

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #8,783 of 88,387
No way! This is so classic. I was thinking this may not be the place to show love this strong, but of course, the ‘cooler reps hard. I listened to this like 5 times on repeat a few months ago, and it still rules.

I think it was the Ti and Solaris that sounded the best to me.

I must revisit and determine which of my IEMs can best represent it!

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #8,785 of 88,387
Timeless is nice, and Timeless can stop you, from doing all the things in life you'd like to... adapted from a song for those of you who may not know!

This Dark Sky review distraction will definitely take a bit longer - the very first few minutes of a honeymoon but wow, these are impressive for the money - nah, just simply impressive. I'll have to wrangle them out of my ears shortly and get back to business.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #8,786 of 88,387
Yes!!! Just a few from my collection:

Screenshots_2021-12-30-09-52-26.png

My dad had a cassette tape of Morricone western themes he took in the car during long road trips, and as a kid I remember playing it in repeat without ever having watched most of the movies the music was from. Which segways into...

Sadly some people who don't connect with film miss out on some of the greatest music ever made, for screen or otherwise. There are soundtracks that transcend the screen with their brilliance (Dances With Wolves, The Last Mohican, Gladiator...), and there are artists that produce film music that's not even attached to films (Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps From Hell, audiomachine...). For me, as a film enthusiast first and foremost, my love for music is inextricably tied to my love for film. When a certain piece of music connects you to an emotional moment in film, the combination of the two transcends what either one is able to achieve alone. Even a few piano keys (Max Richter's 'My Brilliant Friend') can evoke such a swell of emotion once you've seen the series, that even when heard on its own, that emotional connection is unshakable. Selling the music short because it's attached to film, for me, misses the point completely.

I remember I was in college when I discovered Two Steps From Hell on facebook, I still remember the track - Black Blade. I was smitten from the very beginning. The next track I listened to was To Glory, which was no less amazing. Since then I have been in love with Two Steps From Hell, Thomas Bergersen, Nick Phoenix, Colin Frake, etc. My dream was to listen to all of their tracks someday in high quality, but I was unable to find them all, and purchasing them was not an option then, neither an option now because of financial reasons (I have a collection of more than 15000 tracks on my phone, purchasing them all would have made me bankrupt).

It wasn't until this year that I was able to find the complete collection, and downloaded them all. And it wasn't until a few weeks ago I finished listening to them all - Industry albums and Public albums. The singles might be left out - gotta check that once again.

Audiomachine is another incredible musical group whom I love, and I have their complete collection also I believe. Gotta check once again.

I believe we all know the works of Hans Zimmer and Ramin Djawadi. One other composer I would like to suggest highly is Bear McCreary. His compositions for Battlestar Galactica, Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, God Of War, Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles are incredibly good. The Prelude To War track from Battlestar Galactica Season 2 OST has been a test track for me for quite a while now.

Adding film discussion to The Watercooler is something I'd be keen to see as well. Fun fact: I used to run a short-lived movie review blog before I ever got on Head-Fi or THL. Looking back, it definitely isn't my best work; not by a mile. :D But. it was good practice, and I do love movies about as much as I love audio. I sure talk about them more often, but that's mostly because there are more people in my life who know what a movie is vs. what treble peak is responsible for that hushing you're hearing in the back of your mix. :p
I love to watch films, and love to express my views on them. However, I am not well versed in the technical terms, so my movie reviews are mostly about how and what I did feel during the watch. A few reviews were published in my office magazine as well. If any of you are interested, I could share them.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #8,787 of 88,387
Write-ups are, well, up :p Enjoy the read. (I'll soon publish the "reviews" here as well.)
The reviews are brilliant. Very well written and concise. An enjoyable read. Your review has given me another push towards the U6T, however, my bank account holds me back.
I believe you will include a more in-depth comparison between U6T and M9 in the full review.
Also, I would like to know - what do you mean by the better dynamics on U6T compared to M9? What exactly do you mean by dynamics? This term is still a bit obscure hence I am asking for the details.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #8,788 of 88,387
The reviews are brilliant. Very well written and concise. An enjoyable read. Your review has given me another push towards the U6T, however, my bank account holds me back.
I believe you will include a more in-depth comparison between U6T and M9 in the full review.
Also, I would like to know - what do you mean by the better dynamics on U6T compared to M9? What exactly do you mean by dynamics? This term is still a bit obscure hence I am asking for the details.
Thanks for your feedback :relaxed:

I won't add anything on Head-Fi's "review" as I leave actual reviews to better ones like @twister6. I merely do write-up more than anything else.

Dynamics are referred to as "The volume of a sound or musical note." Moon Audio has a very useful glossary but the way I perceive/describe it is how engaging the sound is.

Think boring versus exciting with both extremes being bad unless you specifically look for one or the other. Something too boring is, well, boring. Something too exciting can very quickly become fatiguing.

But this is my own read on it. YMMV.

Edit: @Ace Bee I forgot to precise that I don't own the IER-M9 anymore so I kept the comparison short as it was from memory though there's no question that the U6t are more engaging than the IER-M9 (but not fatiguing).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #8,789 of 88,387
Thanks for your feedback :relaxed:

I won't add anything on Head-Fi's "review" as I leave actual reviews to better ones like @twister6. I merely do write-up more than anything else.

Dynamics are referred to as "The volume of a sound or musical note." Moon Audio has a very useful glossary but the way I perceive/describe it is how engaging the sound is.

Think boring versus exciting with both extremes being bad unless you specifically look for one or the other. Something too boring is, well, boring. Something too exciting can become very quickly fatiguing.

But this is my own read on it. YMMV.

Interesting! My understand of dynamics is the total frequency range and the movement or swings between two different points. I know there was an audio engineer (?) mentioned previously on this thread who began to compile a glossary of terms decades ago - is there something we could compile here in an effort to better standardise our definitions? Or does such a thing already exist here and I've just overlooked it?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #8,790 of 88,387
Interesting! My understand of dynamics is the total frequency range and the movement or swings between two different points. I know there was an audio engineer (?) mentioned previously on this thread who began to compile a glossary of terms decades ago - is there something we could compile here in an effort to better standardise our definitions? Or does such a thing already exist here and I've just overlooked it?

I have this document (attached) open in front of me to reference at the moment, shared earlier in this thread I think by @drftr - excellent resource.

1640865283654.png

Attachments

• Stereophile_AudioGlossary.jpg
    Stereophile_AudioGlossary.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back