The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #75,961 of 90,228
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Audio: Elysian Annihilator (declined first offering last March 🤦🏻‍♂️)
Current Non-Audio: Hermann Miller / Vitra Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman. Just ordered today and made use of a great offering. I've been circling this thing for years and now finally took the plunge after a great year at work. This will bring my reading and music listening experience to a new level...

1703939685291.png

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #75,962 of 90,228
I am not entirely sure on that, but wasn't the Trifecta limited to 333 units at some point? And in the end we don't really know if brands keep those numbers anyway, paper is patient, as we say in germany.
Oh an also the Supermoon was limited to 50 Universals until it wasn't.

And yeah the Indigo/MkIII bait and switch including rambling about the "different tuning philosophies" between those IEMs turned me off the brand completely. Turns out they measure the same.
And, those are usually collabs requested by the local dealers, to be fair to EE. :D

Hong Kong in particular loves to ask for exclusives. Before Vision Ears’ EVE line became what it is now, it was used to denote regional exclusives. I think Crystal Sound Audio had fire and ice-themed variations of the VE5 with different tunings, and e-earphone JP got the hybrid Meister. 64 Audio has special edition Nio’s in HK (though those only have different faceplates). UM just released the MAX exclusively in HK, and they’ve also made the JP-exclusive Maverick, along with the SG-exclusive Legacy.

It isn’t uncommon for these dealers to use customer feedback to ask for slight retunings (like the LX SE) either. Jomo retuned their Alpha Ti into the HK-exclusive Impulse Ti, EE turned their Phantom into the SG-exclusive Phantom SE at the request of Euphoria Audio, and VE just released the New PHoNIX in HK, again, retuned based on their customer’s comments.

So, if you’re gonna blame anyone for not getting regional exclusives, blame your dealer. :p
These are more the "limited" versions I mean. I have no illusions of "this is the one iem/dap and it will only ever be in this flavor and if you miss it you'll never get it forever". I guess what I'm referring to more are versions of things, collabs, colorways, that sort of thing. I had an ak240 blue note that, in fairness, I primarily bought for the record collection it came with anyway. There'll always be a part of me that'll regret selling it if only because it was a really nice package, between the blue colored player and case. Unfortunately it couldn't keep pace with larger microsd cards, and I carry my whole library with me at any given time.
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Audio--probably the above, upgrading my DAP. I got tied up with my work and other responsibilities and stopped really listening for a while until I realized how much I missed it. It took being sidelined with health issues again to really justify the downtime spent on music where I wasn't constantly on calls or out and about. Non-audio it was probably having kids. I have a daughter now, she's a handful as well as a 7am daily wakeup alarm, but I wouldn't trade her for anything.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #75,963 of 90,228
I could not give a satisfactory answer to this question, which bothers me. I only think about regrets of what I should not have done/done earlier or what I am still doing and not liking about myself. It's a great question that is more focused on the positives.

So to give a twist to this question, I propose an alternative. The classic " New Years Resolution". What I want to change audio-related next year is to a) use my (soon to arrive) DAP for listening and leaving the phone behind and b) stop spending money I don't have.

I wish all of you, that you can just answer the original question instead! :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #75,964 of 90,228
Nice one. Watches! Latest acquisitions below.

IMG_6925.jpeg

IMG_6740.jpeg

My overall collection is relatively small (compared to those who own multiple Rolexes, APs and Pateks).

Its a rabbit hole that rivals the two-channel dimension of our hobby and I am plenty satisfied with a few nice ones. 😊

Audio will always be the number one hobby.
I only own two "high-end" ones. The one that sees the most use as a beater is a bright orange seiko prospex I put on a custom band:
20231230_081228.jpg

My most recent acquisition was an Evangelion-themed Citizen Eco-Drive (forgive the stock photos but they're better than I can take):
citizen-x-evangelion-promaster-jy8138-61e-men-watch-02 (1).jpg

But probably the one I'm most proud of is this:

SBXC09502.jpg
Seiko astron. This was the kojima productions collaboration, specifically the Japan-exclusive model (and the same one that Kojima-san wears in all his interviews). It's absolutely elitist-level weeb and I'm thankful for it.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #75,965 of 90,228
Dear Friends,

Trying to conduct some research. Would love different opinions.

In your opinion what are the top 5-10 mistakes beginner audiophiles make?

@Deezel177 made some great points and many of my own are just footnotes or alternate ways of saying the same thing. Following is how I would frame advice to folks new to the portable space based on my own experiences as a "noob" just a few years ago (2019 seems like a different world ago, in more ways than one).

1) First and foremost for me is: don't let others do your thinking and listening for you. This hobby is full of people-- some of whom are sincere, others not so much-- who want to tell you what to like, what not to like, what is worth the money, what is not, what good sound is, what it isn't, what is snake oil, what is not, and so on and on. In my experience the greater the extent to which one is able to follow their own inclinations, desires and convictions and not get caught up in what everyone else is doing and saying...then greater will be the degree of their own satisfaction in this hobby. This is not to say that we shouldn't take advice from or consult others...far from it. It's just that I have found-- even with people I tend to jive with most of the time-- that there will be times when we just flat-out disagree or hear things differently. The most fundamental rule in this hobby for me is: let thine own ears be the judge.

2) Youtubers, high profile reviewers and influencers are often some of the worst people to listen to for advice. Sorry but it's true. The more someone tries to posture that they're just "keeping it real" or "telling it like it is" the greater the odds are that they're just a shill after clicks and likes beholden to whoever is sponsoring them. There are exceptions, of course...but exceptions they are for the most part in my experience.

3) Listen to anything and everything when you are just getting started. You have no idea what your ideal sound will be and no amount of consulting others will reveal this to you. Remember: One must taste the fruit to know the flavor.

4) Don't underestimate the value of sources and synergy. This is a lesson I am still learning to this day. In my experience good synergy can add a kilobuck or two to the perceived "value" of your setup.

5) When getting started scour the length and breadth of the land to get a sense where everyone is coming from. There are all kinds of ideologies and temperaments out there-- what works for some may not work for others, and where some fit in, others may not. I don't personally relate to the audio nihilist and graph worshiping crowd-- but many do. Perhaps that is your ticket to finding meaning in this hobby...and if it is, jump right in. The main point-- don't fixate on or limit yourself to one particular community, especially at first, as often these can be echo chambers that can limit your perspective or keep you from experiencing something that could be right up your alley.

6) Find the price tier you are most comfortable with and which gives you the most satisfaction-- and focus on that. You might not need the summit of the summit priced IEMs to hit your particular groove. Similarly, avoid the fantasy that out there somewhere deep within the audio abyss is some mythical $50 IEM that will render all flagships obsolete. While it's not unversally true, it's overwhelmingly the case that spending more will result in better gear and more satisfaction. I have personally found the sweet spot to be about ~$1500...but it might be different for others.

7) FOMO is a thing. There is no sense complaining about this, it isn't going to go away, so we may as well learn to process it. This hobby depends on a relatively constant stream of new releases. Every now and again many of us-- even vets-- get super excited about some new release, quickly proclaiming it the greatest thing ever, prompting everyone else to succumb to that most pernicious of curses in this hobby-- curiosity-- only for the hype to die down sometime not too much later and the thing in question fades into relative obscurity before too long.

8) If it's not doing it for you, let it go. This can be a hard one. We've all been there-- over the moon hyping the sh1t out of some new release, or jumping on something that everyone is interested in...only to have this nagging voice at the back of your head telling you that it's not really doing it for you. Listen to that voice and move on-- your own personal satisfaction with what you have is the most important grail in this hobby inho.

9) Don't be afraid to play the used market-- you don't need every new thing as soon as it comes out. One can save a lot of money and maximize their enjoyment by waiting a bit and picking up something on the used market for a great price after a time. One can hear a lot of great stuff at minimal cost by judiciously buying and selling used gear at a minimal loss. I did this early on and got to hear a lot of great stuff.

10) If at all possible go to a CanJam or some other meet. Curiousity is the burning and driving force of this hobby. Hearing as much as you can at various meets or through tours will eliminate that curiousity which often prompts us to make poor choices around what to buy and it liberates us from the temptation of FOMO and the babel of everyone's hype and conflicting impressions.

In other news we're just about down to the last 24 hours to vote in the Watercooler IEM of the year Survey so if you haven't voted yet and want to, now is the time.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #75,966 of 90,228
For me it’s the WM1Z. It’s the perfect source for my tastes and use case, I only just picked one up, and it’s been out longer than I’ve been on Head Fi.

Oof this one got me in the feels. I’m still sleeping and am for all intents and purposes wedded to my IEMs. I’ve often wondered if my audio pursuits subconsciously fill a void left by my lack of a life partner.
Never to late!😄. I was 29 when I met my wife. Totaly random meeting, so who knows if our paths had not crossed😅. I would for shure not have liked it if I lost her somehow. Even if she questions the whole IEM hobby😂. So just keep your eyes open, you could meet someone around the next corner!

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #75,967 of 90,228
I had an ak240 blue note that, in fairness, I primarily bought for the record collection it came with anyway.
Ahh, I forgot about those. :D I’ve actually loved a lot of the A&K anime collabs at e-earphone. Some of the purple and gold ones look really neat, especially with the intricate engravings on the back.

1703943985056.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #75,968 of 90,228
Audio: Elysian Annihilator (declined first offering last March 🤦🏻‍♂️)
Current Non-Audio: Hermann Miller / Vitra Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman. Just ordered today and made use of a great offering. I've been circling this thing for years and now finally took the plunge after a great year at work. This will bring my reading and music listening experience to a new level...

1703939685291.png
A man's heart tells him it would be difficult to rise from that level of comfort with good music.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #75,969 of 90,228
@Deezel177 made some great points and many of my own are just footnotes or alternate ways of saying the same thing. Following is how I would frame advice to folks new to the portable space based on my own experiences as a "noob" just a few years ago (2019 seems like a different world ago, in more ways than one).

1) First and foremost for me is: don't let others do your thinking and listening for you. This hobby is full of people-- some of whom are sincere, others not so much-- who want to tell you what to like, what not to like, what is worth the money, what is not, what good sound is, what it isn't, what is snake oil, what is not, and so on and on. In my experience the greater the extent to which one is able to follow their own inclinations, desires and convictions and not get caught up in what everyone else is doing and saying...then greater will be the degree of their own satisfaction in this hobby. This is not to say that we shouldn't take advice from or consult others...far from it. It's just that I have found even with people I tend to jive with most of the time there will be times when we just flat-out disagree. The most fundamental rule in this hobby for me is: let thine own ears be the judge.

2) Youtubers, high profile reviewers and other influencers are often some of the worst people to listen to for advice. Sorry but it's true. The more someone tries to posture that they're just "keeping it real" the greater the odds are that they're just a shill after clicks and likes beholden to whoever is sponsoring them. There are exceptions, of course...but exceptions they are for the most part in my experience.

3) Listen to anything and everything when you are just getting started. You have no idea what your ideal sound will be and no amount of consulting others will reveal this to you.

4) Don't underestimate the value of sources and synergy. This is a lesson I am still learning to this day. In my experience good synergy can add a kilobuck or two to the perceived "value" of your setup.

5) When getting started scour the length and breadth of the land to get a sense where everyone is coming from. There are all kinds of ideologies and temperaments out there-- what works for some may not work for others, and where some fit in, others may not. I don't personally relate to the audio nihilist and graph worshiping crowd-- but many do. Perhaps that is your ticket to finding meaning in this hobby...and if it is, jump right in.

6) Find the price tier you are most comfortable with and which gives you the most satisfaction-- and focus on that. You might not need the summit of the summit priced IEMs to hit your particular groove. Similarly, avoid the fantasy that out there somewhere deep within the audio abyss is some mythical $50 IEM that will render all flagships obsolete.

7) FOMO is a thing. There is no sense complaining about this, it isn't going to go away, so we may as well learn to process it. This hobby depends on a relatively constant stream of new releases. Every now and again many of us-- even vets-- get super excited about some new release, quickly proclaiming it the greatest thing ever, prompting everyone else to succumb to that most pernicious of curses in this hobby-- curiosity-- only the hype to die down sometime not too much later and the thing in question fades into relative obscurity before too long.

8) If it's not doing it for you, let it go. This can be a hard one. We've all been there-- over the moon hyping the sh1t out of some new release, or jumping on something that everyone is interested in...only to have this nagging voice at the back of your head telling you that it's not really doing it for you. Listen to that voice and move on-- your own personal satisfaction with what you have is the most important grail in this hobby inho.

9) Don't be afraid to play the used market-- you don't need every new thing as soon as it comes out. One can save a lot of money and maximize their enjoyment by waiting a bit and picking up something on the used market for a great price after a time. One can hear a lot of great stuff at minimal cost by judiciously buying and selling used gear at a minimal loss. I did this early on and got to hear a lot of great stuff.

10) If at all possible go to a CanJam or some other meet. Curiousity is the burning and driving force of this hobby. Hearing as much as you can at various meets or through tours will eliminate that curiousity which often prompts us to make poor choices around what to buy and it liberates us from the temptation of FOMO and the babel of everyone's hype and conflicting impressions.

In other news we're just about down to the last 24 hours to vote in the Watercooler IEM of the year Survey so if you haven't voted yet and want to, now is the time.
I think I reasonate with this post the most. What I’ve come to realise in this hobby is to just feel comfortable in my own skin and ears. I often feel like my hearing must be whacked / nonsensical because (many) others have given diametrically opposite insights, but I think I’m past that (for the most part). I acknowledge the FOMO and embrace the insensibilities of this hobby. We’re all adults here and should know where to draw the line when things are getting too hot to manage. I practise blind buy a lot but I don’t regret these lessons when I sell items for whatever reason. In this regard, I’ll differ from what some others have said, cause my value proposition is different.
I wish all here the best of health and a better year in 2024!

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #75,970 of 90,228
I’d be interested in examples of a company we talk about here doing this, specifically advertising an item as a limited release and then releasing more units with a cosmetic change. I’d want to avoid them also but don’t recall this for items we discuss here.
Wasn't Rn6 going to be a limited edition?

Wish I'd realised that sooner. Always thought the money for a trip from The Netherlands to the nearest canjam would be better spent on gear. But counting the money I've lost over the years, I could have easily gone to canjam socal or singapore with money to spare for sightseeing.
You can fly to CanJam London for the price of a set ear tips.

drftr

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #75,972 of 90,228

1) First and foremost for me is: don't let others do your thinking and listening for you. This hobby is full of people-- some of whom are sincere, others not so much-- who want to tell you what to like, what not to like, what is worth the money, what is not, what good sound is, what it isn't, what is snake oil, what is not, and so on and on. In my experience the greater the extent to which one is able to follow their own inclinations, desires and convictions and not get caught up in what everyone else is doing and saying...then greater will be the degree of their own satisfaction in this hobby. This is not to say that we shouldn't take advice from or consult others...far from it. It's just that I have found-- even with people I tend to jive with most of the time-- that there will be times when we just flat-out disagree or hear things differently. The most fundamental rule in this hobby for me is: let thine own ears be the judge.

2) Youtubers, high profile reviewers and influencers are often some of the worst people to listen to for advice. Sorry but it's true. The more someone tries to posture that they're just "keeping it real" or "telling it like it is" the greater the odds are that they're just a shill after clicks and likes beholden to whoever is sponsoring them. There are exceptions, of course...but exceptions they are for the most part in my experience.

3) Listen to anything and everything when you are just getting started. You have no idea what your ideal sound will be and no amount of consulting others will reveal this to you. Remember: One must taste the fruit to know the flavor.

5) When getting started scour the length and breadth of the land to get a sense where everyone is coming from. There are all kinds of ideologies and temperaments out there-- what works for some may not work for others, and where some fit in, others may not. I don't personally relate to the audio nihilist and graph worshiping crowd-- but many do. Perhaps that is your ticket to finding meaning in this hobby...and if it is, jump right in. The main point-- don't fixate on or limit yourself to one particular community, especially at first, as often these can be echo chambers that can limit your perspective or keep you from experiencing something that could be right up your alley.

6) Find the price tier you are most comfortable with and which gives you the most satisfaction-- and focus on that. You might not need the summit of the summit priced IEMs to hit your particular groove. Similarly, avoid the fantasy that out there somewhere deep within the audio abyss is some mythical $50 IEM that will render all flagships obsolete. While it's not unversally true, it's overwhelmingly the case that spending more will result in better gear and more satisfaction. I have personally found the sweet spot to be about ~$1500...but it might be different for others.

7) FOMO is a thing. There is no sense complaining about this, it isn't going to go away, so we may as well learn to process it. This hobby depends on a relatively constant stream of new releases. Every now and again many of us-- even vets-- get super excited about some new release, quickly proclaiming it the greatest thing ever, prompting everyone else to succumb to that most pernicious of curses in this hobby-- curiosity-- only for the hype to die down sometime not too much later and the thing in question fades into relative obscurity before too long.

Such fantastic view points.

No need to be sorry about the dig towards YT reviewers: I agree about YT reviewers myself lol. Half the reason why I started reviewing was because in my own mind, I wanted to set the record straight, especially after watching a more high-profile reviewer take the Susvara to the cleaners while his recommendations themselves were suspect at best (learned the hard way after buying something he recommended).

The other half was to have more access to gears and manufactures, mostly because I live in a part of the world where it is nearly impossible to get loaners or walk into a store and try something. I literally have to travel to Bangkok or Singapore to do that. Lol.

I also don’t see myself in the mirror as a YouTube reviewer but as an academic and financial services professional since those pay for the hobby.

In other words, I happily echo the sentiment about mainstream reviewers, while I continue to make content as a guy who loves dissecting sound and talking about gears. 😊

Also very grateful for the fantastic insights from all of you thus far. Will try to give credit where it is due in my eventual video but it will mostly be a running list of folks who contributed (since there will be overlaps between many of your contributions)! Hope that’s cool. ❤️

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #75,973 of 90,228

Audio: Actually isolating what I like, in a precise manner that is. Before all I could tell you is that I liked bass, don’t like treble and I could barely describe sound.

Personal: Planning on my own? Before I worked out because military, I studied because school, etc. I basically did things because I was told in some way or form.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #75,974 of 90,228

This and @Deezel177 ’s list are great. The only thing I would add, which is really just supplemental, is an over reliance on FR graphs. I think FR graphs can be a useful tool but some people seem to see the graphs as an end all be all thing when evaluating.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #75,975 of 90,228
Such fantastic view points.

No need to be sorry about the dig towards YT reviewers: I agree about YT reviewers myself lol. Half the reason why I started reviewing was because in my own mind, I wanted to set the record straight, especially after watching a more high-profile reviewer take the Susvara to the cleaners while his recommendations themselves were suspect at best (learned the hard way after buying something he recommended).

The other half was to have more access to gears and manufactures, mostly because I live in a part of the world where it is nearly impossible to get loaners or walk into a store and try something. I literally have to travel to Bangkok or Singapore to do that. Lol.

I also don’t see myself in the mirror as a YouTube reviewer but as an academic and financial services professional since those pay for the hobby.

In other words, I happily echo the sentiment about mainstream reviewers, while I continue to make content as a guy who loves dissecting sound and talking about gears. 😊

I wasn't sorry :p

And you don't need to justify yourself either.

FWIW I don't lump you in with the "high profile" Youtubers and influencers, though I definitely see you as someone who is trying to build a name for himself and establish a presence. All of that is fine and good. In truth, I have a bit of a personal bias towards your content as it's clear we tend to enjoy a lot of the same stuff and it was largely based on your rec (in concert with your love of the Trifecta) that caused me to move on the Perpetua which if I'm honest is probably pound for pound my favorite IEM right now (synergy with 1Z is off the charts).

All of that said what happens if your channel goes through the stratosphere like some others have? Then who knows. A couple folks have approached me recently about the idea of a Watercooler Youtube channel and to be perfectly frank this is an idea I'm biased against for the most part. A large part of the appeal of this community to me is that it's grass-roots and made up exclusively of hobbyists and all sorts of folks from all levels of the industry gathered simply for the joy of fellowship and community. I am afraid that if we were to go down the path of monetizing, or otherwise trying to cash in the Watercooler name as a "brand" or start chasing likes, clicks, affiliations and sponsorship- then a good deal of what makes this place great would be lost.

No matter how sincere one is once that-- viz a viz the monetizing or chasing clicks and likes-- becomes the focus then by default the integrity of the community becomes secondary. This is not a comment on your or anyone else in particular-- it's just a law of economics and of human nature as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back