The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #75,931 of 89,296
Yes for my case it is Noble Viking OG. Even I have owned Viking Ragnar (sold), Viking Prestige. I still spent quite some time to try to get a pair of Viking OG.

The Ragnar models are more “current” but I still prefer the aesthetics, and the unique spaciousness and energetic sound signature that I cannot find in other Viking models.

That has to be one of the best looking/most unique IEMs ever made. Pity I don't jive with Noble nozzles (or Viking tuning), but aesthetically they're unquestionably right up among the greats.
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Audio, easy, Z1R. I wasted five years sleeping on horror stories of poor fit, only to wake up and realise I missed out on one of the best sounding, best fitting IEMs I've ever had - and continue to have - the pleasure of using.

Non audio...tough one. I usually don't regret my choices (hindsight is always 20/20), but leaving Cape Town has to be one of them. 'Wasted' ten years of my life living away from my family and favourite city in a foreign county, although nothing in life is really wasted if you learn the lessons it teaches you and treasure the friendships you make along the way. I knew the minute I got on the plane to come back 'home' that I never should have left, but such is life.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #75,932 of 89,296
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.

Audio - Not sure if it counts if I slept on it because I'm 2 years into the hobby but I got hooked onto external amps about 5 months ago! It started with Tsuranagi. Both my listening and the way I look at sources hasn't been the same since.

Messenger_creation_36f438ff-b166-44ba-a94a-d06feb250b9c.jpeg

Messenger_creation_2f7526ec-da0d-4787-bdb0-9d4007306649.jpeg

Non Audio - I loved playing with Lego growing up. My daughter got me back into it this year. I think we just crossed 100 sets. Her joy for it as well as our time building it together has been indispensible.

Our recent haul is the Dreamzzz wave. I like the quirky, whimsical fantasy element to it.
Messenger_creation_6863f910-869e-42af-9681-c33815fc2d82.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #75,933 of 89,296
Going from 3.5 to 4.4mm for daps. My first 4.4mm dap was the Sony ZX300. Now I have several 4.4 daps and it opened the floodgates for endless cable rolling.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #75,934 of 89,296
Audio : Streaming music. Baffles me why I resisted for so long...
Non Audio : A positive mindset regardless of whats going on.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #75,935 of 89,296
Nice one. Watches! Latest acquisitions below.

IMG_6925.jpeg

IMG_6740.jpeg

My overall collection is relatively small (compared to those who own multiple Rolexes, APs and Pateks).

Its a rabbit hole that rivals the two-channel dimension of our hobby and I am plenty satisfied with a few nice ones. 😊

Audio will always be the number one hobby.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #75,936 of 89,296
On a short hotel break with my wife, and another day brought another Dita - Project M. No idea how they sound yet as I’ve been told to get away from my earphones and go for a walk 😂

Is that latch going to break off? I am unfamiliar with this brand of case.

I am always on the lookout for IEM casing solutions. It is a problem.

(p.s. enjoy the holiday great photographs as always)

Audio, easy, Z1R. I wasted five years sleeping on horror stories of poor fit, only to wake up and realise I missed out on one of the best sounding, best fitting IEMs I've ever had - and continue to have - the pleasure of using.

It is chonk but I actually had more issues with the universal demo of the UE Pro Premier (the 21 driver) because UE decided to go with a non-ergonomic nozzle for the universal demo of their latest custom-only model. My IER=Z1R fitting went from 80-percentile to 90-percentile by binning the stock cable ear guides and installing E4UA short adaptors :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #75,937 of 89,296
Happy holiday for you and your wife, and thanks for sharing :smile:
Those hotel room give me the creeps though 😱

Ha we did actually get a bit spooked with a light flickering late last night 😂

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #75,938 of 89,296
Is that latch going to break off? I am unfamiliar with this brand of case.

I am always on the lookout for IEM casing solutions. It is a problem.

(p.s. enjoy the holiday great photographs as always)

It is chonk but I actually had more issues with the universal demo of the UE Pro Premier (the 21 driver) because UE decided to go with a non-ergonomic nozzle for the universal demo of their latest custom-only model. My IER=Z1R fitting went from 80-percentile to 90-percentile by binning the stock cable ear guides and installing E4UA short adaptors :)

It seems pretty secure and overall a well built and robust case. It’s a German brand called Tanos.

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #75,939 of 89,296
Nice one. Watches! Latest acquisitions below.

IMG_6925.jpeg

IMG_6740.jpeg

My overall collection is relatively small (compared to those who own multiple Rolexes, APs and Pateks).

Its a rabbit hole that rivals the two-channel dimension of our hobby and I am plenty satisfied with a few nice ones. 😊

Audio will always be the number one hobby.

Beautiful watches, I love them too but don’t buy that often anymore. That first looks quite like my last purchase - Damasko DC56.

IMG_9071.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #75,941 of 89,296
Dear Friends,

Trying to conduct some research. Would love different opinions.

In your opinion what are the top 5-10 mistakes beginner audiophiles make?
One comes to mind right away: spending more money than needed in order to “skip the process”.
I found that starting at the bottom helped me to form my taste and preferences, while learning the nuances of listening as I slowly upgraded.

I started with iPhone, Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and Solaris OG in 2019, which to this day puts a smile on my face when I listen to it :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #75,943 of 89,296
Dear Friends,

1-Not knowing where to start: Do I buy a high end DAP first, IEM, cable?
2-Not knowing when to end: We all have been where we buy FOTM, only the be disappointed. We than through more money on even more expensive cable, thinking that is going to fix it. If you dont like the sound, no cable will fix that.
3-Not factoring in our change in taste as we spend more time in hobby. Variety is the key of not getting bored, keep a few opposite sounding gear, and rotate. If you eat the same food everyday, you will get over it, no matter how much you like it. I believe same applies to audio.
4-Not knowing what live music sounds like. I don't use IEM because I want to experience such sound, IEM for me is about extraction of resolution.
5-Not attending meet up, beside of been able to experience new gear, the most important part of this hobby for me is meeting incredible people, forming life long friendship.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #75,945 of 89,296
Dear Friends,

Spending too much time on specs and not enough comparative listening to develop their 'palette'

I certainly am guilty of this too, but Its all part of the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back