The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #75,918 of 89,234
Usually what ends up happening is that they originally produce a certain amount. Then if there is a high enough demand for a product they usually end up either making a second set of them afterwards. Or they take basically the thing that is popular and keep the #s accurate and re-release it as a new product. For example, Dunu SA6 Ultra and then rereleased as Dunu SA6 MKII. You get the idea.
Ultra and MKII have different driver models and they don't measure the same as far as I know.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #75,919 of 89,234
Ultra and MKII have different driver models and they don't measure the same as far as I know.
My apologies on that. Perhaps slightly different example. For the Empire Ears Legend X I thought they made a version that they sold in Hong Kong. I believe they released it as an Empire Ears Legend X SE (special edition). Is that a better example?

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #75,920 of 89,234
My apologies on that. Perhaps slightly different example. For the Empire Ears Legend X I thought they made a version that they sold in Hong Kong. I believe they released it as an Empire Ears Legend X SE (special edition). Is that a better example?
To be fair to EE, that only happened ‘cus of insane consumer demand. A few HK Head-Fi’ers talked about the LX SE and described the changes they heard over the original, and everyone wanted a piece. After a week or so of basically begging, EE finally acquiesced and released a limited global run of the LX SE. If they hadn’t, you’d have people going like, “Why does Hong Kong get it, but we don’t?!” So, it was kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #75,921 of 89,234
To be fair to EE, that only happened ‘cus of insane consumer demand. A few HK Head-Fi’ers talked about the LX SE and described the changes they heard over the original, and everyone wanted a piece. After a week or so of basically begging, EE finally acquiesced and released a limited global run of the LX SE. If they hadn’t, you’d have people going like, “Why does Hong Kong get it, but we don’t?!” So, it was kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t situation.
Which they created in the first place by selling the same model with regional differences. To be fair to us. 😎

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #75,923 of 89,234
Just found another reason to have IEMs or Headphones: I have an entry level two channel system installed in my home office; however, whenever I played music with low volume, my wife would be made at me and asked me to turn it down or even off; now, I just found out that even when wife was not around, my cat would also be mad at me for playing music (he would be mad at me when I was on phone for reason beyond my comprehension, but I just noticed he also did not like music from speakers). Now I have to completely rely on headphones or IEMs.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #75,924 of 89,234
Which they created in the first place by selling the same model with regional differences. To be fair to us. 😎
And, those are usually collabs requested by the local dealers, to be fair to EE. :D

Hong Kong in particular loves to ask for exclusives. Before Vision Ears’ EVE line became what it is now, it was used to denote regional exclusives. I think Crystal Sound Audio had fire and ice-themed variations of the VE5 with different tunings, and e-earphone JP got the hybrid Meister. 64 Audio has special edition Nio’s in HK (though those only have different faceplates). UM just released the MAX exclusively in HK, and they’ve also made the JP-exclusive Maverick, along with the SG-exclusive Legacy.

It isn’t uncommon for these dealers to use customer feedback to ask for slight retunings (like the LX SE) either. Jomo retuned their Alpha Ti into the HK-exclusive Impulse Ti, EE turned their Phantom into the SG-exclusive Phantom SE at the request of Euphoria Audio, and VE just released the New PHoNIX in HK, again, retuned based on their customer’s comments.

So, if you’re gonna blame anyone for not getting regional exclusives, blame your dealer. :p

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #75,926 of 89,234
I can think of two examples. EE re-releasing LXSE, 'strictly limited to 50 units'. They ended up selling more than 100 IIRC, offering more 'to not disappoint customers'. Hurting the resale value in the process. And UM releasing a limited number of Mest Indigo (200 units I think) and then using the exact same design for the Mest MK3... 🙄
Same thing happened on Odin Founder Edition and it leaves a scar on my face 🥲

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #75,927 of 89,234
I love my LP6 Gold but it is the kind of sound that for short term, it is amazing but long term, it gets fatiguing due to its tendency to sound dry.

To my ears, LP6 is amazing for wanting to hear critically, it is the closet thing to R2R (reel to rell) experience in digital format.
For those interested, it reminds me alot of Bricassti M1 dac.
Interesting take on the LP6! My impression is not like yours, owning both a Reel to Reel, and a proper R-2R based unit for studio work.
Reel to reel based playback and recording has a subtle compression due to the tape medium, which I don’t find present in R-2R devices.

Lastly, to avoid confusion, R2R doesn’t stand for Reel to Reel. Here’s a simple and clear explanation I found on the roon forums:

The name R2R, was originally written as R-2R, and refers to a resistor ladder network consisting of resistors of two values, R and 2R. Using only those values a ladder is constructed of resistors (either as discrete components or within a silicon chip). The ladder results in a voltage output of a fraction of a reference voltage depending on the bit value of a digital input, which is all you need for digital to analog conversion.

I hope this is helpful!

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #75,930 of 89,234
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
Audio : Late to realize that I can love and like a BA bass. Back then, I won't buy an IEM that doesn't have DD in it and I miss the STORM because of it. Converted only after I get @AxLvR Red Wine Trailli 🥲

Non Audio : Too lenient with my employee so they don't work at the maximum output and too lazy to speak my mind on everyone so I end up being frustrated that everything's so messed up.
See my reply, not having a wife is a bless, you will know once you are married :).
Disagree with this. I know the hardships, but I can appreciate and love my wife even when sometimes she's getting on my nerves too 😂
I always said to my wife that I married her not only as her husband but a mentor and parents too. She is born and raised in a spoiled family with several housemaid ready for her beck and call, but both of her parents are working so she doesn't have that much love and care from her family. Even hug and kisses are non existent on her family. Too money oriented that they forget how to be human 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back