The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #75,887 of 89,198
Curiosity here: what are members' thoughts on discontinued products, ie special limited editions of players, cables, even IEMs? Do you find yourself holding onto them out of sentimentality, or even actively seeking to purchase them, even when there's something more current and technically "better" on the market?
Yes for my case it is Noble Viking OG. Even I have owned Viking Ragnar (sold), Viking Prestige. I still spent quite some time to try to get a pair of Viking OG.

The Ragnar models are more “current” but I still prefer the aesthetics, and the unique spaciousness and energetic sound signature that I cannot find in other Viking models.

IMG_2721.jpeg

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #75,888 of 89,198
Some early Saturday morning listening on the APX with the LP6Ti AE. Some old favourites: Damien Rice’s O album and Rumer’s This Girl’s In Love.

I always enjoy listening to new gear with Volcano because of how well it is recorded and mastered. And that irritatingly catchy bass beat. :wink: The APX is delightful with this track. You can feel the timbre of the cello. And of course that visceral bass beat. I think the drum set comes across pretty naturally with no tinniness. I love how the slight graininess of Lisa Hannigan’s vocals comes across as well. Towards the end of the song, where both vocals are going on at the same time, with the instruments playing away, there is not smearing but still good separation and layering. :)

The Look of Love is a different creature. More subtle but just as well recorded. Here, layering is important because of the various instruments in the musical arrangement. I do enjoy how the APX handles the nuanced presentation. There is also very good note weight because of the power of the AE.

IMG_1721.jpeg
IMG_1722.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #75,890 of 89,198
Some early Saturday morning listening on the APX with the LP6Ti AE. Some old favourites: Damien Rice’s O album and Rumer’s This Girl’s In Love.

I always enjoy listening to new gear with Volcano because of how well it is recorded and mastered. And that irritatingly catchy bass beat. :wink: The APX is delightful with this track. You can feel the timbre of the cello. And of course that visceral bass beat. I think the drum set comes across pretty naturally with no tinniness. I love how the slight graininess of Lisa Hannigan’s vocals comes across as well. Towards the end of the song, where both vocals are going on at the same time, with the instruments playing away, there is not smearing but still good separation and layering. :)

The Look of Love is a different creature. More subtle but just as well recorded. Here, layering is important because of the various instruments in the musical arrangement. I do enjoy how the APX handles the nuanced presentation. There is also very good note weight because of the power of the AE.

IMG_1721.jpegIMG_1722.jpeg

The mid range on this set is impressive with a very high level of resolution, detail, and transparency. I was quite impressed at the small nuances it's able to pick up on and just how clean/clear and well layered everything sounded. Dynamics were also very impressive. It's one of only IEMs I've heard that I think matches the Subtonic Storm in terms of sheer transparency and resolution in the mids. I unfortunately couldn't get the treble attenuated to where I wanted to and for some types of music it is just far too elevated for my tastes.

Regardless there will likely be 25 very happy owners of this set. I wish they were more to my taste because it is one if the nicest looking IEMs I've ever seen along with the OG Viking.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #75,891 of 89,198
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #75,892 of 89,198
The mid range on this set is impressive with a very high level of resolution, detail, and transparency. I was quite impressed at the small nuances it's able to pick up on and just how clean/clear and well layered everything sounded. Dynamics were also very impressive. It's one of only IEMs I've heard that I think matches the Subtonic Storm in terms of sheer transparency and resolution in the mids. I unfortunately couldn't get the treble attenuated to where I wanted to and for some types of music it is just far too elevated for my tastes.

Regardless there will likely be 25 very happy owners of this set. I wish they were more to my taste because it is one if the nicest looking IEMs I've ever seen along with the OG Viking.
Yeah... I suspect it will depend on the kind of music we listen with it. With the genres I listen to, I have not experienced any issues with the trebles being hot. That's the other thing about about universals: it does depend on ear tips and the fit. I am fortunate that the APX fits me to a "T" and the Eletech Baroque ear tips work beautifully with the APX for me. For me, the trebles are actually wonderfully extended and yet smooth. It does work very well to produce that impressive soundstage. :)

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #75,893 of 89,198
IMG_1913.jpeg
I’ve never experienced synergy like this with an aftermarket cable... Just wow.. Effect Audio knocked it out of the park with this LE cable. Bonneville continues to impress me.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #75,894 of 89,198
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.

It took me a while to think over this. Audio related I’m honestly not sure. I’d like to think that throughout my journey so far I’ve been really open minded and experimental. Perhaps my unwillingness to really explore headphones? I’m not sure that’s me resisting though rather than just knowing it’s not ideal for my use case.

I slept on external amps for a while but again they just don’t fit my ideal use case.

Non audio related is easy… I wish I would have taken my health more seriously at a younger age because it’s become a non-negotiable aspect of my lifestyle now and I constantly think “what if” had I started this earlier. I wake up every morning Mon-Sat at 6am or earlier to go workout and I love every bit of it. But such is life, I don’t regret the choices I made in my younger years either. Live and learn I suppose 😜

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #75,895 of 89,198
Yes for my case it is Noble Viking OG. Even I have owned Viking Ragnar (sold), Viking Prestige. I still spent quite some time to try to get a pair of Viking OG.

The Ragnar models are more “current” but I still prefer the aesthetics, and the unique spaciousness and energetic sound signature that I cannot find in other Viking models.

IMG_2721.jpeg
Wow, it’s amazing you have both Viking Damascus OG and Viking Prestige 🌟

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #75,896 of 89,198
Easy.
Audio - Elysian Annihilator
Non Audio - A wife

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #75,897 of 89,198
Nice survey question, Jeff!

I think for me, on the audio side, it is easily vintage Stax earspeakers. For too long, I hesitated on vintage Stax and e-stats. I have not looked back since then.

For the non-audio side, I do wonder if I should have paid closer attention to my own health (and had taken little warning signs more seriously) as I chased down living life to the fullest in other respects. But it is what it is. :)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #75,898 of 89,198
Wow, it’s amazing you have both Viking Damascus OG and Viking Prestige 🌟
Haha thanks man, I am still debating whether to keep them both or sell off my Viking Prestige. To me, I am more comfortable wearing the Prestige version for long listening session as well as on the road 😅

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #75,899 of 89,198
Easy.
Audio - Elysian Annihilator

For me it’s the WM1Z. It’s the perfect source for my tastes and use case, I only just picked one up, and it’s been out longer than I’ve been on Head Fi.

Non Audio - A wife

Oof this one got me in the feels. I’m still sleeping and am for all intents and purposes wedded to my IEMs. I’ve often wondered if my audio pursuits subconsciously fill a void left by my lack of a life partner.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #75,900 of 89,198
Audio: Not yet
Non Audio: Not getting married

Users who are viewing this thread

Back