The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #75,856 of 89,162
On Dita's page for the Project M they state:

"The main engine behind the Project M’s sound, the PM1+ is responsible for the texture and characteristics behind the M’s signature. With the driver itself boasting a full-range sound with clarity, speed and a punchy bass.

The PM1+ Driver performs best with additional technology, leading us to augment the Project M’s soundstage with a single Knowles Dynamic Driver."

What exactly does this mean? That the DD is handling the whole frequency range and the BA is just "helping out" with some technicalities for part of the range? If the Project M manages to maintain single DD timbral goodness across the whole range without the BA negatively affecting the timbre at all then I'll definitely be considering it along with the Cascara and Isabellae
There's a typo there. It's supposed to be the PM1+ (dynamic) driver aided by a Knowles balanced-armature driver. They confirmed it to me on Facebook. 'Seems they forgot to correct it on their site. But, yeah, it looks like it's the very traditional low-to-high DD + super-high BA config.

The AüR Audio Aure (discontinued) did something similar being 1DD + 6BA, working full range on the dynamic driver. The whole sound spectrum is more DD like then, with the BAs to help.

I remember Rhapsodio had an IEM called the Zombie some time ago. It had 1 DD, 8 BAs and 0 crossovers. So, every driver just fired full-range. :D I'm not kidding when I say Rhapsodio's IEM configs sound like other brands' rejected R&D ideas.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #75,857 of 89,162
May I please ask you to compare Madoo 821 to either Traillii, Mentor, Ronin or Aura?

Have heard a lot of controversial things regarding it.
Would love to but I dont have these IEM's. Was able to only check out that Traillii at Zepellin in Singapore as they carry both. I felt that their tuning was based on similar approach, the Traillii did have several advantages on details, female vocals. These complement each other. But I am operating from some short notes I took while auditioning multiple IEM's

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #75,858 of 89,162
"Asian fit" ear tips might make sense when you consider the existence of "Asian fit" glasses frames (low bridge fit, google it). If someone believes the same applies to Asian ear canals the proof is in the buying and testing...

*It is possible Asian fit ear tips have been around for longer than the forum post from today!

Does the Raven count? Due to "reeaasons" there is no way I will get it in 2023 lol

Jokes aside it depends if you count when the money leaves your account or when product arrives :stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #75,859 of 89,162
Just for comparison a few pictures of the UM Max with FA Mezzo LE (Really like when cables follow the same theme as the shells), with Campfire Supermoon, Madoo 821 and CustomArt Fibae 7U

1000000753.jpg

1000000754.jpg1000000757.jpg1000000758.jpg1000000759.jpg1000000760.jpg
After spending some extra time with the UM Max versus a few other IEM's, would like to share a few items:

a) The MAX tuning is dependent on sources than the FA Audio Mezzo, Supermoon, Fibae 7U and Madoo 821. Found that I prefer the Astell Kern SR 35 and the AK dongle to y phone vs my old Ibasso 300 , Dragonfly Blue, Dongles from Lotto & Questyle. Found the bass more appealing. At least initially.

b) Tip rolling will be required to find the prefer tuning, did not like the stock tips. The rolling also took time due to the nozzle and a screw on mesh. At least initially

c) Cable Rolling did nothing to signature, so would not bother.

d) Felt the tuning was brighter than expected after doing a short "burn in" of 24 hrs. Reverted to equalizer to bring the bass and reduce the high's for EDM and Western music, had some tracks from some China based artists and found that the tuning work well with some of the female and instrument-based tracks.

Why, of my "At least Initially" disclaimer??.

Decided to unscrew a mesh type element from the nozzle and the UM Max went to UM MAX!!!!.

Everything became alive and the bass roared back in place with some tracks as Blue Laces 2 -Nipsey Hussle and Kill Jill -Big Boi

Vocals -Strings improved quite significantly with tracks as Obstacle 1-Interpol and Like Exploding Stones-Kurt Vile.

Re-did a few steps and found that tip rolling was less required and wind up using the Spin Fit W1 , also found that tuning became more consistent between sources and even wind up listening to the MAX at work with my phone and BT IFI Blu and it was great.

If anyone has these , would ask them to remove the mesh and provide their opinion. Quite don't understand why would they neutered these IEM's with the screw on mesh.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #75,860 of 89,162
After getting the Plussound hybrid+ cable during the BF sale and absolutely loving it I decided to pull the trigger on its sister, the silver+ during the holiday sale. It was originally destined to be on Odin but after hearing it on EXT it’s making me fall in love all over again 😂 haven’t been able to pry them out of my ears for 5 hours. Annoyingly, the Raphael that had recently been purchased has been banished from EXT (still love you Raph) and Silver+ has found a forever home. Surprised these “+” cables don’t get talked about more tbh, best cables I’ve heard by a large margin. Copper+ was awesome on EVO too.

IMG_2200.jpeg

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #75,861 of 89,162
Asian Fit??? Meaning that I'd need an XXXXL? How do they compare with other tips size-wise? Not sure why they mention this on their website. They only seem to have Asian Fit and Small.

drftr
If I'm not mistaken, they do have a Large size. Maybe Mtmt doesn't have the large size. Here you go : https://ect.com.hk/en/product/earrbond-ebt their large size is called "Standard" size. I just checked and some websites only have asian and small sizes... weird. It's a tad smaller than Coreir tips. Maybe check the measurements just to make sure they fit.
They will both be too small for my ears. But thanks @AxLvR for the recommendation. Speaking of metal in eartips maybe I should try the Coreir?

1703876799059.png

Maybe check this link : https://ect.com.hk/en/product/earrbond-ebt they do have the large size which is called "Standard" size. Yes, do try the coreir, they offer a deeper fit and a open sound, giving more sense of space to your IEM. It's a great tips for me.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #75,862 of 89,162
@armstrj2 How would you place Loki Emerald's mids warmth-wise compared to Rn6, Ronin, Mentor, Sultan? I might become interested in "something" with Sultan mids, Rn6 bass, U18t treble, Mentor immersion, and Ronin balance. Perhaps that's a Canpur, FitEar, Rosenkranz, CraftEars, or VisionEars IEM but I'm open to surprises.

drftr
Hey, I'll send you a message over the weekend to discuss. Recovering from covid atm so trying to take it easy.

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #75,864 of 89,162
If I'm not mistaken, they do have a Large size. Maybe Mtmt doesn't have the large size. Here you go : https://ect.com.hk/en/product/earrbond-ebt their large size is called "Standard" size. I just checked and some websites only have asian and small sizes... weird. It's a tad smaller than Coreir tips. Maybe check the measurements just to make sure they fit.

Maybe check this link : https://ect.com.hk/en/product/earrbond-ebt they do have the large size which is called "Standard" size. Yes, do try the coreir, they offer a deeper fit and a open sound, giving more sense of space to your IEM. It's a great tips for me.
Tnx mate... If I don't have at least 13.5 mm they will fall into my skull, never to be seen again. Most of my tips are 14 mm.

drftr

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #75,865 of 89,162
Hey, I'll send you a message over the weekend to discuss. Recovering from covid atm so trying to take it easy.
Ugh! Thought we were done with that... Take care man, and make sure to use your energy for better things than sending out that message. My ears are patient and not even sure they want different IEMs in them anytime soon.

drftr

Dec 29, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #75,867 of 89,162
That’s a funky looking tip. Which IEMs do you use them on?

I just ordered a set of Omni’s. We’ll see if they can displace W1 on Anni.
Tried them on a few IEMs. Trifecta, Xe6. They're interesting, super comfy, but you need to get a good seating and seal for it to work effectively. They're like cushions in your ears, almost don't realise you're wearing IEMs because they almost totally isolate you from the IEM shell.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #75,868 of 89,162
That’s a funky looking tip. Which IEMs do you use them on?
They’re funny looking indeed. I’m using them on the Traillii at the moment. I’m not getting the best fit somehow with that IEM, with my right ear, but with these tips the fit is pretty good.

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #75,869 of 89,162
After getting the Plussound hybrid+ cable during the BF sale and absolutely loving it I decided to pull the trigger on its sister, the silver+ during the holiday sale. It was originally destined to be on Odin but after hearing it on EXT it’s making me fall in love all over again 😂 haven’t been able to pry them out of my ears for 5 hours. Annoyingly, the Raphael that had recently been purchased has been banished from EXT (still love you Raph) and Silver+ has found a forever home. Surprised these “+” cables don’t get talked about more tbh, best cables I’ve heard by a large margin. Copper+ was awesome on EVO too.

IMG_2200.jpeg
Silver+ is one of my all time favorite cables!

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #75,870 of 89,162
Tried them on a few IEMs. Trifecta, Xe6. They're interesting, super comfy, but you need to get a good seating and seal for it to work effectively. They're like cushions in your ears, almost don't realise you're wearing IEMs because they almost totally isolate you from the IEM shell.

Have you tried it on the Z1R?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back