The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #75,946 of 90,559
Dear Friends,

Trying to conduct some research. Would love different opinions.

In your opinion what are the top 5-10 mistakes beginner audiophiles make?

Blind buying and taking YouTube influencer ranking lists too literally instead of as a laugh and demoing for themselves

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #75,947 of 90,559
Almost at the end of my audio journey (hopefully 🤭). All that is left is a DAC for me. Those TT2 is not mine btw 😉
Still waiting for my Stax X9K + T8K and ZMF Caldera which will arrive on early January I hope. Oh and one more IEM to fill up the empty space on my upcoming Van Nuys 6 IEM case. Those sofa, while not as fancy as @Auricon 's and @jwilliamhurst 's will suffice for me. I need a compact one because of the limited space. Can't wait to try Bartok Apex and Rockna WaveDream signature as my future DAC someday 🤩
Dekstop setup is as far as I can go for now. Don't know if I will ever cross the line and go full speed ahead to 2-ch setup like @RTodd 😁
Maybe in the future but not soon enough 😆

P_20231230_161623_1.jpg
P_20231230_100742.jpg

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #75,948 of 90,559
Almost at the end of my audio journey (hopefully 🤭). All that is left is a DAC for me. Those TT2 is not mine btw 😉
Still waiting for my Stax X9K + T8K and ZMF Caldera which will arrive on early January I hope. Oh and one more IEM to fill up the empty space on my upcoming Van Nuys 6 IEM case. Those sofa, while not as fancy as @Auricon 's and @jwilliamhurst 's will suffice for me. I need a compact one because of the limited space. Can't wait to try Bartok Apex and Rockna WaveDream signature as my future DAC someday 🤩
Dekstop setup is as far as I can go for now. Don't know if I will ever cross the line and go full speed ahead to 2-ch setup like @RTodd 😁

Amazing set up! But there is never an end to this game 😅.....just wait for our dealer next post 🫣

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #75,949 of 90,559
Dear Friends,

Trying to conduct some research. Would love different opinions.

In your opinion what are the top 5-10 mistakes beginner audiophiles make?
I thought of a few off the top of my head. This better not show up in a future video of yours without due credit. :wink:

1) Assume you hear the same way someone else does, and vice-versa: Audio is massively subjective. What’s perfect to someone else may not be perfect to you, and what’s trash to them might appeal to you. That’s not even mentioning the different music you may listen to, different sources you may have, etc.

2) Only read one or two reviews before making a purchase: Going off no. 1, it’s best to gather as many data points as you can before buying anything, so bias is as minimized as possible.

3) Think a brand’s flagship is the one you “have to” buy: This is a mistake I’ve even seen veterans make. Sometimes, the flagship may have better technical performance, but also a tone you may not agree with. So, never discount a brand’s cheaper offerings. They might happen to be the best ones for you.

4) Think reference sound is the ultimate sound: It’s not. Just like warm, bright, punchy or relaxed, it’s just one of many sounds. You might love it, you might hate it. Don’t let marketing fool you. A lot of the products that brands call reference would be laughed out of the studio by actual engineers anyway.

5) Base purchases off a specs sheet: More drivers does not mean better. More crossovers does not mean better. They just give the tuner more options to craft the IEM’s sound with. Whether or not they did a good job crafting is another matter entirely. Not all drivers and crossovers are made the same either. A single-driver IEM with 5 years of R&D can leave a slapped-together, 10-driver hybrid in the dust. So, don’t be shocked if the former turns out pricier and better.

6) Listen way too loud: Not only can this give you a bad impression of an IEM, but it’s bad for your long-term hearing as well. Train yourself to listen quieter, and I guarantee you’ll get more out of IEMs; even the ones you already have.

7) Settle for a lesser product, rather than save a bit more for the one you actually want: I’ve seen people do this countless times, and it only leads to disappointment. After a while, they end up selling off the IEM they settled for at a loss, then saving up again to get what they originally wanted anyway. Save yourself the hassle, just wait a bit longer for the next paycheck or two, and spend it on something you truly desire.

8) Overestimate the differences cables, burn-in, etc. can make: I’ve seen salespeople snake beginners into buying a product they don’t really want by telling them 100 hours of burn-in or swapping out the cable will fix all its problems. In reality, the changes those bring are completely situational, and they won’t turn an IEM into something it’s not. This is especially true if you’re a beginner and you can barely hear those differences anyway.

The last one’s the most situational, but I feel it’s the most crucial one too.

9) Buying without trying: I know, in 70-80% of the world, this is simply down to unavailability. Not everyone lives in SG, HK or JPN, where auditioning every IEM in the world is a car or subway ride away. But, rather than gambling, buying blind and potentially incurring massive losses, I’d always recommend spending the money to go to your nearest CanJam or audio meet, if possible. It’s money you’re likely to lose if you’re blind buying anyway, and you’re at least guaranteed the chance to meet fellow Head-Fi’ers, explore a new city and meet the people behind the products you love. The dozens of products you get to try are almost a bonus, and just those 2 days should be enough to give you a base vocabulary of IEMs that you can then interpret reviews or comparisons better with. For example, maybe you heard the Fei Wan at a CanJam and loved it, but wanted less treble. The next time a respected poster calls an IEM a “warmer Fei Wan,” you’ll know to look out for that IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #75,950 of 90,559
I'd definitely echo the sentiment of the mistake of buying before trying, and the biggest one for me in every hobby is spending too long in the entry-level phase. Obviously don't dive straight into the deep end as people have already said, but if you realize you are enjoying the hobby and feel ready to appreciate better gear, just save up and go for it. I've seen so many people waste so much money and TIME on buying/trying multiple "mid" equipment when they could have SAVED money on just buying an end-game product (which is a concept that does exists for some people). I am very guilty of this.

Also not really a mistake for beginners but for everyone here: you don't have to think about audio 24/7 to be "into" the hobby. You can take breaks. You can still be an audiophile without buying anything. You don't have to "quit" audio because you've reached end-game. You can try new gear without having any intention to own it. Enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination. Maybe that's the broke boy in me speaking but some people seem so all or nothing or lack so much self control that they feel the need to abandon their hobby friends just because they want to stop chasing gear or got bored of the hobby, and I'm not just talking about audio exclusively, I've seen it everywhere. It's bizarre to me. If something interesting pops up, come back, and if there's nothing interesting you then go do something else... no one says you can't have multiple hobbies.

To sum it up, #1 mistake is speed running to the point where you're not enjoying yourself anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #75,951 of 90,559
To sum it up, #1 mistake is speed running to the point where you're not enjoying yourself anymore.

I have to absolutely agree especially with your last sentence.
„you're not enjoying yourself anymore“ because your audio hobby has converted into an endless hazzle searchimg for the endgame setup.

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #75,952 of 90,559

P_20231230_161623_1.jpgP_20231230_100742.jpg
Nice! You have a TAZ! Tough one to find now. :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #75,953 of 90,559
I'd definitely echo the sentiment of buying before trying, and the biggest one for me in every hobby is spending too long in the entry-level phase. Obviously don't dive straight into the deep end as people have already said, but if you realize you are enjoying the hobby and feel ready to appreciate better gear, just save up and go for it. I've seen so many people waste so much money and TIME on buying/trying multiple "mid" equipment when they could have SAVED money on just buying an end-game product (which is a concept that does exists for some people). I am very guilty of this.

Also not really a mistake for beginners but for everyone here: you don't have to think about audio 24/7 to be "into" the hobby. You can take breaks. You can still be an audiophile without buying anything. You don't have to "quit" audio because you've reached end-game. You can try new gear without having any intention to own it. Enjoy the journey and don't worry about the destination. Maybe that's the broke boy in me speaking but some people seem so all or nothing or lack so much self control that they feel the need to abandon their hobby friends just because they want to stop chasing gear or got bored of the hobby, and I'm not just talking about audio exclusively, I've seen it everywhere. It's bizarre to me. If something interesting pops up, come back, and if there's nothing interesting you then go do something else... no one says you can't have multiple hobbies.

Hear hear! It is just a hobby. Not life itself. And the ultimate aim is really about enjoying the music. :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #75,954 of 90,559
Morning thoughts in my haunted hotel room 😬 👻

Perpetua reminds me a bit of Traillii - it’s the type of set that doesn’t necessarily grab attention immediately, and deserves more specific listening focus to fully reveal the tuning. This was exactly what I loved about Traillii, I’d often choose an album and do nothing but listen to the album - fully immersed in the music and not browsing my phone or doing anything else, a meditative experience.

I think I have found the replacement for what the bird once provided, and I only moved on due to occasional pressure build. Turii Ti spot as GOAT DD might be in trouble…

IMG_9766.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #75,955 of 90,559

P_20231230_161623_1.jpgP_20231230_100742.jpg
A man is quite certain you're the most well equipped with audio equipment in your neighbourhood (and perhaps beyond). Exciting times. 🍺

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #75,956 of 90,559
I thought of a few off the top of my head. This better not show up in a future video of yours without due credit. :wink:

1) Assume you hear the same way someone else does, and vice-versa: Audio is massively subjective. What’s perfect to someone else may not be perfect to you, and what’s trash to them might appeal to you. That’s not even mentioning the different music you may listen to, different sources you may have, etc.

2) Only read one or two reviews before making a purchase: Going off no. 1, it’s best to gather as many data points as you can before buying anything, so bias is as minimized as possible.

3) Think a brand’s flagship is the one you “have to” buy: This is a mistake I’ve even seen veterans make. Sometimes, the flagship may have better technical performance, but also a tone you may not agree with. So, never discount a brand’s cheaper offerings. They might happen to be the best ones for you.

4) Think reference sound is the ultimate sound: It’s not. Just like warm, bright, punchy or relaxed, it’s just one of many sounds. You might love it, you might hate it. Don’t let marketing fool you. A lot of the products that brands call reference would be laughed out of the studio by actual engineers anyway.

5) Base purchases off a specs sheet: More drivers does not mean better. More crossovers does not mean better. They just give the tuner more options to craft the IEM’s sound with. Whether or not they did a good job crafting is another matter entirely. Not all drivers and crossovers are made the same either. A single-driver IEM with 5 years of R&D can leave a slapped-together, 10-driver hybrid in the dust. So, don’t be shocked if the former turns out pricier and better.

6) Listen way too loud: Not only can this give you a bad impression of an IEM, but it’s bad for your long-term hearing as well. Train yourself to listen quieter, and I guarantee you’ll get more out of IEMs; even the ones you already have.

7) Settle for a lesser product, rather than save a bit more for the one you actually want: I’ve seen people do this countless times, and it only leads to disappointment. After a while, they end up selling off the IEM they settled for at a loss, then saving up again to get what they originally wanted anyway. Save yourself the hassle, just wait a bit longer for the next paycheck or two, and spend it on something you truly desire.

8) Overestimate the differences cables, burn-in, etc. can make: I’ve seen salespeople snake beginners into buying a product they don’t really want by telling them 100 hours of burn-in or swapping out the cable will fix all its problems. In reality, the changes those bring are completely situational, and they won’t turn an IEM into something it’s not. This is especially true if you’re a beginner and you can barely hear those differences anyway.

9) Buying without trying: I know, in 70-80% of the world, this is simply down to unavailability. Not everyone lives in SG, HK or JPN, where auditioning every IEM in the world is a car or subway ride away. But, rather than gambling, buying blind and potentially incurring massive losses, I’d always recommend spending the money to go to your nearest CanJam or audio meet, if possible. It’s money you’re likely to lose if you’re blind buying anyway, and you’re at least guaranteed the chance to meet fellow Head-Fi’ers, explore a new city and meet the people behind the products you love. The dozens of products you get to try are almost a bonus, and just those 2 days should be enough to give you a base vocabulary of IEMs that you can then interpret reviews or comparisons better with. For example, maybe you heard the Fei Wan at a CanJam and loved it, but wanted less treble. The next time a respected poster calls an IEM a “warmer Fei Wan,” you’ll know to look out for that IEM.
Very good points. That's quite some material for the research @Sajid Amit already. 🙂

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #75,958 of 90,559
I thought of a few off the top of my head.
Awesome list!
I would add: Spending all your time on 'analytical' listening. It's so much fun comparing gear and cable rolling, but ultimately it distracts from experiencing the emotionality of the music and enjoying the journey the artist intended for the listener.

rather than gambling, buying blind and potentially incurring massive losses, I’d always recommend spending the money to go to your nearest CanJam or audio meet, if possible.
Wish I'd realised that sooner. Always thought the money for a trip from The Netherlands to the nearest canjam would be better spent on gear. But counting the money I've lost over the years, I could have easily gone to canjam socal or singapore with money to spare for sightseeing.

You can take breaks. You can still be an audiophile without buying anything.
Breaks are important for me, but for another reason. Once in a while I get obsessed over a dap or iem, convincing myself I truly 'need' it. Taking a break and delaying my decision for a week or two, generally cures the upgrade-itis. This hobby is addictive.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #75,959 of 90,559

Allow me to confess my grave sin on point 6 and 9 🙇🏻
About point 6 now I lowered my listening volume to 35 and yeah I can understand what you mean. When I listen too loud, some of the details are drown and I can't get the full enjoyment of the music. Last night I listen to the music that I'm quite familiar with using Fei Wang 🍆 and I can hear something I never heard before. It's quite mindblowing really 🤭
On point 9, well I can't deny my chinese ancestry. I love to gamble and luckily my gamble in IEM world turns out 90% spot on 😉
I rarely regret my blind buy and most of it stay with me and I can enjoy it 😁
I'd definitely echo the sentiment of the mistake of buying before trying, and the biggest one for me in every hobby is spending too long in the entry-level phase. Obviously don't dive straight into the deep end as people have already said, but if you realize you are enjoying the hobby and feel ready to appreciate better gear, just save up and go for it. I've seen so many people waste so much money and TIME on buying/trying multiple "mid" equipment when they could have SAVED money on just buying an end-game product (which is a concept that does exists for some people). I am very guilty of this.
This is my way in my audio journey. You can go step by step if you're new in this hobby, but if you already know what kind of sound that you seek and you have the cash, then just go for the one you like regardless of the price. I don't like to linger too long in the entry and mid level and then end up bored. When you are already at the top, you will stop seeking new things. I like the idea of one and done than to prolong my journey and suffering 😂

That's what my dealer friend said to me actually. Don't go too fast, you'll get bored soon enough. No I don't think so. I won't get bored with my gear. I'm bored with the music. There's nothing boring about my gear. Only never ending upgradetitis 🤪
Nice! You have a TAZ! Tough one to find now. :)
Now on my DMP hunt 😉
That's even harder to find 😅
Morning thoughts in my haunted hotel room 😬 👻

Perpetua reminds me a bit of Traillii - it’s the type of set that doesn’t necessarily grab attention immediately, and deserves more specific listening focus to fully reveal the tuning. This was exactly what I loved about Traillii, I’d often choose an album and do nothing but listen to the album - fully immersed in the music and not browsing my phone or doing anything else, a meditative experience.

I think I have found the replacement for what the bird once provided, and I only moved on due to occasional pressure build. Turii Ti spot as GOAT DD might be in trouble…

For me, Trailli grabs my attention almost immediately with those wide soundstage and superb vocal 😁
Would love to try Perpetua too someday. I want to blind buy it but not so convinced to pay 3k for a single DD. Maybe I'll wait for the used one 😉
A man is quite certain you're the most well equipped with audio equipment in your neighbourhood (and perhaps beyond). Exciting times. 🍺
Well, can't be so sure about that. I live in a small city on Central Java called Tegal, and there's so many rich people here because they have a tea plantation and so many of them are the owner of a national level tea company. I don't know their hobby though. Even if they are into audiophile world it would be a 2-ch setup 😁

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #75,960 of 90,559
Now on my DMP hunt 😉
That's even harder to find 😅

I will say that it will be worth the wait. I am sure you enjoy the TAZ as I do mine. But the DMP is probably the pinnacle of what Sony managed to do in this space. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back