The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #75,976 of 90,226
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
It is a great question and keeping it in the audio domain it would be the Final Audio D-8000 (original tuning). My god I wanted this headphone for so long and I put off buying it for such a long time that I actually had freaking dreams about it. 😳
Needless to say last year I filled that audio void in my life and I have not regretted since. The D-8000 is a headphone whereby it is everything I hoped it would be because ultimately the tuning really works for my particular tastes. More importantly it is a headphone I find is the ultimate all rounder and I don’t have to think what I choose to listen to genre wise. I’ve also done everything I can to cater to this headphone, even aesthetically. I bought the stupidly expensive SPC cable from Junkosha, got all the different pads and even upgraded the headband. 🤤
At some point, I will dig a bit deeper in the IEM world to hopefully find a pair of IEMS that gives me that same kind of magic and majesty.
For now though. Wow. The D-8000 is definitely the headphone for me and I know for a fact I absolutely nailed it for myself buying that headphone. The enjoyment level is insane and the D-8000 reinstated major reasons why I listen to music in the first place! 👂🧠👂

Attachments

• IMG_7177.jpeg
    IMG_7177.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7133.jpeg
    IMG_7133.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7032.jpeg
    IMG_7032.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #75,977 of 90,226
Nice one. Watches! Latest acquisitions below.

My overall collection is relatively small (compared to those who own multiple Rolexes, APs and Pateks).

Its a rabbit hole that rivals the two-channel dimension of our hobby and I am plenty satisfied with a few nice ones. 😊

Audio will always be the number one hobby.
Beautiful watches! Watches were the first rabbit hole I fell into some years ago and I've since pared my collection down to just these two:

IMG_1550.jpg

These were made by Fred Dingemans (d.m.h. / dingemans mechanische horloges). Fred is a one-man shop based in the Netherlands; he makes the watches and parts himself except for the movement, which I believe he sources from Tenor. Each watch is custom made and Fred works with you to pick the materials for the watch as well as the colors and design. I hope to pass these down to my kids someday.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #75,978 of 90,226
I wasn't sorry :p

And you don't need to justify yourself either.

FWIW I don't lump you in with the "high profile" Youtubers and influencers, though I definitely see you as someone who is trying to build a name for himself and establish a presence. All of that is fine and good. In truth, I have a bit of a personal bias towards your content as it's clear we tend to enjoy a lot of the same stuff and it was largely based on your rec (in concert with your love of the Trifecta) that caused me to move on the Perpetua which if I'm honest is probably pound for pound my favorite IEM right now (synergy with 1Z is off the charts).

All of that said what happens if your channel goes through the stratosphere like some others have? Then who knows. A couple folks have approached me recently about the idea of a Watercooler Youtube channel and to be perfectly frank this is an idea I'm biased against for the most part. A large part of the appeal of this community to me is that it's grass-roots and made up exclusively of hobbyists and all sorts of folks all levels of the industry gathered simply for the joy of fellowship and community. I am afraid that if we were to go down the path of monetizing, or otherwise trying to cash in the Watercooler name as a "brand" or start chasing likes, clicks, affiliations and sponsorship- then a good deal of what makes this place great would be lost...imho.

No matter how sincere one is once that-- viz a viz the monetizing or chasing clicks and likes-- becomes the focus then by default the integrity of the community becomes secondary. This is not a comment on your or anyone else in particular-- it's just a law of economics and of human nature as far as I can tell.
No, that’s absolutely fair.

Biases can and do creep in. A particularly pernicious bias among audiophiles I see often has less to do with making money through content but “my gear is the best gear.”

And just a parting thought on the topic, not by way of justification but reflection if you will:

If I had to pick between losing access to HeadFi or losing access to YouTube, I would choose the latter, in a heartbeat.

This hobby wouldn’t be the same if after trying a new IEM, I couldn’t come here and talk about it, or learn about someone else’s moment of euphoria.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #75,979 of 90,226
Here’s a weekend survey question I don’t think we’ve done before: What did you sleep on/resist for far too long only for it to become an indispensable part of your life? As a twist give both audio and non audio examples if you want.
I do not think I need to answer this one.
Since the answer is quite obvious.
I will add though not just the sound in the building, the light, the space, the surroundings, all indispensable now.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #75,982 of 90,226
Is this the same as what Sony does with their DAP’s and power output or is that a legality they are adhering to?
That's red tape that apparently only applies to Sony and no other audio company in the world.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #75,984 of 90,226
I will say that it will be worth the wait. I am sure you enjoy the TAZ as I do mine. But the DMP is probably the pinnacle of what Sony managed to do in this space. :)
Yup, I really enjoy my TAZ with MDR. Those DSEE HX is fun to play with 😁
Audio: Elysian Annihilator (declined first offering last March 🤦🏻‍♂️)
Current Non-Audio: Hermann Miller / Vitra Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman. Just ordered today and made use of a great offering. I've been circling this thing for years and now finally took the plunge after a great year at work. This will bring my reading and music listening experience to a new level...

1703939685291.png
And will bring your bank account to lower level 🤭
Yeah I forgot about Herman Miller, but I think it's quite hard to buy that brand on my country. Gotta do some research after this. Thanks for reminding me 😁
9) Don't be afraid to play the used market-- you don't need every new thing as soon as it comes out. One can save a lot of money and maximize their enjoyment by waiting a bit and picking up something on the used market for a great price after a time. One can hear a lot of great stuff at minimal cost by judiciously buying and selling used gear at a minimal loss. I did this early on and got to hear a lot of great stuff.

10) If at all possible go to a CanJam or some other meet. Curiousity is the burning and driving force of this hobby. Hearing as much as you can at various meets or through tours will eliminate that curiousity which often prompts us to make poor choices around what to buy and it liberates us from the temptation of FOMO and the babel of everyone's hype and conflicting impressions.
+1 to this 2 points of your post 😁
Back then I'm quite a snob for not wanting to buy a used stuff, but my reason for that mainly I don't like a used electronic because they usually have a life time. But now I think I can make peace with that. Usually people in this hobby tend to take a good care for their collection so I feel why not give it a go and try it. My 1st preloved gear is @AxLvR Trailli and then my MDR + TAZ. Both of it are still good and fully operational and now that I think about it, some good stuff only available on used market like DMP so there's no more reason to avoid it 😉
About CanJam, yeah I can't wait to meet you guys there. While I have to leave my lovely wife for a day or two, but a man need some man in life too ☺️
tumblr_pbbj91Rje41r6vy8ho2_400.gif

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #75,985 of 90,226
Dear Friends,

Trying to conduct some research. Would love different opinions.

In your opinion what are the top 5-10 mistakes beginner audiophiles make?
Hate to say this because it could be taken the wrong way. My IEM journey started 4 or 5 years ago, and I put too much faith in on line reviews. It was not till I journeyed to meet Andrew of MT and Steve of Bloom, (which both are only a little more than an hour drive for me), and listened for myself that I found the IEMs that sounded good to me. Not to be too critical on reviewers though, some such as yourself are a benefit, and it is great to share their passion for audio by watching their videos.

15 years ago I made the exact same mistake when I decided to take photography seriously, I will not name names but the reviewer that led me astray has something in common with our friend and Cooler founder Jeff.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #75,986 of 90,226
So many key lessons shared by all who love this hobby. One aspect I’ve come to appreciate over the past year is how important aesthetics and comfort are in enjoying the gear and music. Comfort clearly is a factor in “getting lost in the music”.

And yes, I’m fortunate to say my wife is an indispensable part of my life. Any woman who would indulge my obsession and spend a half day at Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam while on a cruise that is only in port for 2 days is a wonderful life partner. :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #75,988 of 90,226
You'd think so but common sense is not always common in this hobby 😅
Is it that for some the hobby is being a dick?
Like waking up every day thinking what can I do to piss everyone off and call attention to myself.
Always wondered that.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #75,989 of 90,226
@aaf evo - curious to hear your thoughts on R8 II… it’s moving up my DAP radar! I’m finding Loki can occasionally trigger my area of sensitivity, and @armstrj2 reckons R2R might be a good option. Testing now with RU6 to get a flavour.

IMG_9779.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #75,990 of 90,226
Update on this brief test - I need to dig a bit deeper to find tracks where the issue arises, but even a brief a/b LPGT Ti far superior overall - everything sounds almost compressed on RU6… details step back, stage, imaging etc. Almost like listening to a different IEM. Anyway, probably not a fair test but thought I’d give it a shot…

IMG_9780.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back