The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #75,991 of 89,277
@aaf evo - curious to hear your thoughts on R8 II… it’s moving up my DAP radar! I’m finding Loki can occasionally trigger my area of sensitivity, and @armstrj2 reckons R2R might be a good option. Testing now with RU6 to get a flavour.

R8 II isn't R2R. That's RS8. R8 II is voiced closer to LPGT (not Ti). @aaf evo can talk to Loki and R8 II directly as he's heard them together (I think).

PS. I'm not a huge fan of RU6. I found it lacking in technical ability and refinement.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #75,992 of 89,277
@aaf evo - curious to hear your thoughts on R8 II… it’s moving up my DAP radar! I’m finding Loki can occasionally trigger my area of sensitivity, and @armstrj2 reckons R2R might be a good option. Testing now with RU6 to get a flavour.

I really like it! But it is not an R2R source. It’s the most neutral HiBy yet with an ever so slight “warmth” to it that gives it a very natural edge. So far every IEM I have paired with it has paired very well because I don’t feel the HiBy tries to really do any coloration without being cold or sterile. It's almost like with this DAP you don't really need to worry about synergy and it'll just let your IEM sound the way the it is tuned. With that said, there are IEMs that can benefit from the magic of other sources to give it a different presentation. For example I like the Fei Wan and Omnium “more” from the WM1Z-M2 because those mids were just fantastic, but it doesn’t mean I find them less enjoyable from the R8 II. Given that I tend to only use one DAP and try make it work across all of my IEMs makes the R8 II a good choice for me.

It’s a fantastic source and being quite honest it’s too competitively priced. For what you get here in this package at $1999 is quite something assuming you’re okay with a more neutral tonality. The battery life is also crazy good just like the RS8. The only kind of thing that sort of makes it really stand out is that even though it's $1999 MSRP, that is the same price if not more than other DAPs that have already depreciated and are just as capable. You can get a used M9+ for like $1850? Sony ZM2 for $2k? DX320 Max for $2300? There's a lot of choices in this price bracket.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #75,993 of 89,277
R8 II isn't R2R. That's RS8. R8 II is voiced closer to LPGT (not Ti). @aaf evo can talk to Loki and R8 II directly as he's heard them together (I think).

PS. I'm not a huge fan of RU6. I found it lacking in technical ability and refinement.

Unfortunately I only got to hear Loki at CanJam Dallas from the N30 LE, but I can't really imagine it being a poor match from the R8 II based off of how I hear the R8 II. But that doesn't mean there could be better sources out there synergy wise.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #75,994 of 89,277

Ah - I misread / scanned the specs on Hiby and assumed R2R. If more similar to LPGT I would rule it out most likely.

IMG_9781.jpeg

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #75,995 of 89,277
Unfortunately I only got to hear Loki at CanJam Dallas from the N30 LE, but I can't really imagine it being a poor match from the R8 II based off of how I hear the R8 II. But that doesn't mean there could be better sources out there synergy wise.
Which for myself I should probably interpret as not being warm/coloured enough in the mids?

drftr

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #75,996 of 89,277
I really like it! But it is not an R2R source. It’s the most neutral HiBy yet with an ever so slight “warmth” to it that gives it a very natural edge. So far every IEM I have paired with it has paired very well because I don’t feel the HiBy tries to really do any coloration without being cold or sterile. It's almost like with this DAP you don't really need to worry about synergy and it'll just let your IEM sound the way the it is tuned. With that said, there are IEMs that can benefit from the magic of other sources to give it a different presentation. For example I like the Fei Wan and Omnium “more” from the WM1Z-M2 because those mids were just fantastic, but it doesn’t mean I find them less enjoyable from the R8 II. Given that I tend to only use one DAP and try make it work across all of my IEMs makes the R8 II a good choice for me.

It’s a fantastic source and being quite honest it’s too competitively priced. For what you get here in this package at $1999 is quite something assuming you’re okay with a more neutral tonality. The battery life is also crazy good just like the RS8. The only kind of thing that sort of makes it really stand out is that even though it's $1999 MSRP, that is the same price if not more than other DAPs that have already depreciated and are just as capable. You can get a used M9+ for like $1850? Sony ZM2 for $2k? DX320 Max for $2300? There's a lot of choices in this price bracket.

Thank you - definitely sounds like it’ll be close to LPGT Ti, maybe a bit more warmth. LPGT Ti a mainstay for me, mostly now about finding something to complement and I think R2R the best option - RS8 might be the way to go. ZM2 appealing also.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #75,997 of 89,277
Which for myself I should probably interpret as not being warm/coloured enough in the mids?

drftr

I don't really know how to answer this because to my ears the WM1ZM2 and the N30 LE are quite colored sources. I feel like there's a difference between having a tasteful coloration or warmth, not really having any, and then coming off as cold. For me the R8II sits between having a tad bit of warmth but overall still remaining very neutral in the FR. I don't think calling it either neutral or neutral warm would be inaccurate, but it doesn't have that typical warmth I'd associate with a bass boost or perhaps more relaxed treble.

I feel like what I'm saying makes zero sense as well... 😂 but if you ever get to hear it maybe you'll understand what I'm saying. 🤭

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #75,998 of 89,277
I think the #1 tip I can offer any newbie to the hobby has nothing to do with audio:

dbad.jpeg

All the other sage advice from Audio Jedi Masters @Deezel177 and @Rockwell75 falls neatly into place once you've mastered rule #1 😁
To add to this, treat/speak to others how you want to be treated/spoken to.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #75,999 of 89,277
I don't really know how to answer this because to my ears the WM1ZM2 and the N30 LE are quite colored sources. I feel like there's a difference between having a tasteful coloration or warmth, not really having any, and then coming off as cold. For me the R8II sits between having a tad bit of warmth but overall still remaining very neutral in the FR. I don't think calling it either neutral or neutral warm would be inaccurate, but it doesn't have that typical warmth I'd associate with a bass boost or perhaps more relaxed treble.

I feel like what I'm saying makes zero sense as well... 😂 but if you ever get to hear it maybe you'll understand what I'm saying. 🤭
I interpreted your post as both Loki and R8II not being very warm and therefore not a great combo for someone like me who prefers warm, sumptuous mids. I wasn't thinking about R8II myself but Loki tickled my fancy. Knowing that I prefer much warmer mids than you it's probably not going to be my ideal partner. Will wait patiently for @jwilliamhurst and @armstrj2 to chime in once everyone is up and running again.

drftr

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #76,000 of 89,277
I interpreted your post as both Loki and R8II not being very warm and therefore not a great combo for someone like me who prefers warm, sumptuous mids. I wasn't thinking about R8II myself but Loki tickled my fancy. Knowing that I prefer much warmer mids than you it's probably not going to be my ideal partner. Will wait patiently for @jwilliamhurst and @armstrj2 to chime in once everyone is up and running again.

drftr

Well from my auditions of Loki at Dallas.. I would not describe the mid range on that IEM as warm whatsoever. I heard it as quite thin and transparent giving lots of detail and forward female vocals/upper mid range. I thought it was stunning with electronic music but it was other genres where I wasn't quite sold on it but recognized how capable of an IEM it is.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #76,001 of 89,277

I am using ier-z1r and r6 pro2. I know you are a z1r fan too and I heard you have the R8II. Which one is more suitable for Z1R in terms of synergy between R8II and R6 pro2?

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #76,002 of 89,277
I’m back full circle looking at P6 Pro now :) Fully aware of the UI quirks however. I recall at some point talk of a replacement model?

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #76,003 of 89,277
I’m back full circle looking at P6 Pro now :) Fully aware of the UI quirks however. I recall at some point talk of a replacement model?
Go Sony, mate. Maybe join us in Canjam Singa and pick up a WM1ZM2 from a Sony store. It’ll be an awesome complement to the LPGT TI.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #76,004 of 89,277
Go Sony, mate. Maybe join us in Canjam Singa and pick up a WM1ZM2 from a Sony store. It’ll be an awesome complement to the LPGT TI.

I’d love to but I’d say unlikely this year. My wife is keen on a family holiday to the US, not sure where yet! Unless I can convince a different direction of travel…

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #76,005 of 89,277
No word on replacement model. There’s the E7 coming, with swappable DACs , and hopefully LP7 some time in 2024/2025.
If you are thinking about the P6Pro I recommend looking for the HK edition…much more powerful. Vance/MyHeadFi has one for sale at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back