The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #75,331 of 89,221
W1EBT-1.jpg

Also, for those who like to tinker, I was messing around recently, and apparently the cores of the Earrbond EBT Metal tips fit into the latest generation of SpinFits. The core in the small sized tip is shorter than the core of the Asian fit tip (their equivalent of M). The small core fits in the Omnis, and the Asian fit cores fits in the W1. The cores can be pushed out of the tips with a 4.4mm jack as there is no adhesive. I’d suggest using a cheaper cable/jack/adapter if you’re concerned about scratches.
Very innovative approach!
This could work wonders for bone conduction IEMs.

If the IEM nozzle had a thread on wich the metal tip could be screwed on, this could work even better for isolation and bone conduction.
You could even adjust for deeper IEM insertions with a longer metal tip.

Would be great to see this technology standardized and implemented by IEM and tip manufacturers. 🤝
Could elevate SQ up a notch.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #75,332 of 89,221
Personally, music quality while training, walking, hiking or doing anything that takes my attention away from the music itself is a secondary priority to convenience. Besides, I regularly listen with the Sony XM5 even when I'm not out and about, so it's more than good enough for me for unfocused listening. YMMV as always.

(Plus my expensive IEMs go nowhere near gyms, walkways or mountains... 😅)

Same for me. I only use AirPods when running or walking at lunch break when working from home, listening to music or audio books (or having phone calls with colleagues). When I had the Odin, I once tried to walk around with it outside. It was incredibly strange. I didn't like the seal at all and the cable microphonic was terrible. Never repeated that.

It’s funny when I’m in the gym with a high-end Iem in I look around and think to myself… “no one here has a freaking clue what’s going on in these ears right now” Meanwhile, everyone probably thinks it’s ghetto because there’s a wire attached 😅

"Poor guy cannot afford AirPods and has to use old fashioned cabled buds from his grandfather" Poor guy: listens to 4.5k IEMs off a 3.5k DAP while working out.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #75,333 of 89,221
"Poor guy cannot afford AirPods and has to use old fashioned cabled buds from his grandfather" Poor guy: listens to 4.5k IEMs off a 3.5k DAP while working out.
You forgot the 2.5k cable.

Imagine the look of horror on their faces when they find out the typical high-end audiophile cable can cost 10-15x a set of AirPods.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #75,334 of 89,221
Good evening, 'Coolers, and Merry Christmas to each and every single one of you. :blush: I just got up from a 5-hour nap after pulling an all-nighter mixing and mastering my church's latest Christmas recording, so please excuse any wooziness that may or may not be evident on this post.

In essence, I wanna wish everyone here a wonderful end to the year, whether you spend it with family, friends or even in private. I've had the most eventful, hectic and ultimately satisfying one I've ever had with the wedding and what-not. :D And, whether it was during event prep, suit fittings, workout sessions for said suit fittings, etc., I could always count on my lovely friends at the Watercooler thread for laughs, insights, friendships... and the occasional debate or two too. :wink: Again, I hope you've all had a positive 2023, and I wish you all a fresh, new, hopeful start to 2024 as well.

Also, I wanna dedicate my respect, gratitude and congrats to our one and only @Rockwell75. What Jeff initially started as a little chat group has evolved into one of Head-Fi's most active threads of all-time (I think that's fair to say, @warrenpchi?), and may the communal spirit that he and so many others here have fostered continue to thrive for more years to come. Congrats on 5K pages and 75-something-something posts - I don't even know the exact figure - and here's to 5K more!

Before I forget, this is said song I've been editing, mixing and mastering for the past couple weeks (or technically, only editing for the past couple weeks, then mixed and mastered in a rush over the past 24 hours :laughing:):

The first half of the video is a look back at many of the Christmas events, musicals and plays we've had at our current building for the 23 years we've been there. Today was our last Christmas there, as we're set to move to our new building next year. The backing track is a song my mom wrote back in the day for the choir. The track I worked on starts at 3:46, and it's a rearrangement of the track. This is what that mix section looked like a few hours into the process:

Screen Shot 2023-12-24 at 20.38.01.png
And, that's just the top half. There's an entire string section and 20 vocal tracks chilling below. :D

Also, 'fun fact, this song was entirely edited, mixed and mastered with the Bellos Audio X4 out of my 2019 MacBook Pro headphone output. So, if you listen to the track with those devices, then you're literally hearing it as the artist intended. 'No marketing BS there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

'Hope you all enjoy, and onto the replies!

Great comparison, thanks! Does the Gold version come with this orange case? Looks pretty cool to me. I like this kind of signal orange.

I didn't follow after the Raven drama anymore. Is this set now available (sturdier & revised)?
On the EE thread, Jack went through all the changes made on the revised set, which has basically been rebuilt from the ground-up with stronger shells, more accommodating sockets, an easier-to-QC internal structure, etc. It's basically a whole new product, and early impressions of those who've handled it at shows have been very positive. Here's to hoping those who pre-ordered finally get their units soon, and all we see are glowing impressions and reviews. :)

Ha I don’t think so. He stepped in and suggested I’d try them as a companion to Storm, for something a little easier to drive.
I’ll post my findings as soon as they arrive. But let’s face it, the real fault is to be attributed to @Natesdailies who gave me a great deal!
The 622B is easily in my top three IEMs of the year. In fact, I just voted for it. I'll talk about it more on my much-delayed PAPI 2023 coverage post, but it's probably the most technical warm-toned set I've ever heard. I basically called it an organic, naturalistic IEM in a technical powerhouse's body on my article. I think, if you're into warmer, more organic tonalities, but with huge macrodynamic swings and instruments that truly move, you'll love what the 622B has to offer.

As always, my time zone dictates that I miss all the overnight action on this thread (I'm the only cooler in Africa, after all!). So I just wanted to say congratulations to @Rockwell75 for the 5000(+7) milestone, and thank each and every one of the good people in this community, past and present, for making this thread the raison d'être of the hobby, at least for me.

Around April last year, five years into the hobby, I was on the verge of finally leaving the rabbit hole for good. My journey had taken me about as far as I thought I could go, and having finally 'discovered' the near-perfect synergy of Sony's IER-Z1R and WM1Z for my personal music-listening preferences, it was time to sail happily into the sunset. But this community, you guys, kept me wanting to come back. Not for more 'stuff' - I was seriously done with that - but for the camaraderie, enlightenment, humour and even the occasional troll hunt, which by then had become the essence of what this hobby was to me.

Long story short, some months later, having stayed for the company, the stars aligned, and I started reviewing for The Headphone List, courtesy of fellow Cooler and all-round great guy, @Deezel177. And so, what was supposed to end as my panacea, was only the beginning of a new journey. For the past 18 months, I've been beyond fortunate to enjoy all manner of new and wonderful gear, but more importantly, build new and lasting relationships with the talented people who make this stuff for the rest of us.

Through it all, I keep coming back here, to share, debate and create anew. If ever there's a place in the hobby I call home, this is it. Wishing all of you Happy Holidays, and best wishes for a healthy, successful and rewarding New Year.

'Easily well deserved, my friend. All the best on your reviewing journey. I hope you can learn from my own mistakes and shortcomings, and I look forward to what you've got cooking up for 2024. :wink:

Whew, finally got caught up with the past 150 pages! :sweat_smile:

Actually, yes, yes we do! :slight_smile:

Yes. The convenience (proximity to show, the gear stored in our rooms, other Watercoolers) is just too good to pass up! :slight_smile: To not stay in the show hotel is to invite regret.

Super late to this, but CONGRATULATIONS! 🎉

Awww, so cute! 🥰

Dude, the 1p2 is a legend! What's that cable, and did you ever try it with Gavin's OG silver+gold cable?

The Tony Stark edition! 🥰

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :wink:

Oh you'll get used to it soon enough! :p It's kind of like, well, like being underwater.

We (@Deezel177) told yooouuuuu! 😄 Sooo happy you got it in time for Christmas!

I agree with your impressions. I don't want to say it's perfect, nothing is. But honestly, it's truly not easy finding fault with the X4 according to my preferences. And given it's sub-kilobuck pricing, I am absolutely shocked at its price-to-performance ratio.

If I had any bone to pick with it (and I don't BTW), it would be that it doesn't isolate as well as a pure acrylic CIEM. But I can understand that trade-off given their goal of enhancing comfort, so that's easily excusable.

Given that so few of us have it, I feel safe in saying that it's probably one of the most underrated units here.

I concur. :p

Please do let us know what you think! :slight_smile:
Thanks so much, Warren! And, yeah, I've been loving the X4 more and more since I've been using it. I just drummed with it live yesterday and, as I said above, edited, mixed and mastered my first full track on it. The first of two things I've loved most about it is comfort. The In-Air Canals are a true innovation, and I've truly felt nothing like it. It's so strange, because, it physically feels like you haven't achieved a seal, because your ear canals feel almost-empty, but the isolation and bass response are perfect. I think it's low-key one of the most palpable/evident leaps in IEMs I've seen in recent memory, and it should definitely be talked about way more.

The second thing is bass response. A problem I've had with some of my reference IEMs in the past is, as I get fatigued or as the track starts getting crowded, I start losing track of the bass. I usually end up with mixes that are too bloated, especially between the sub- and mid-bass. The first reference IEM I had that sorta dodged this was the Sharona, but I think the X4 does an even better job at it, probably 'cus of ATOM and the In-Air Canals. Throughout the mixing process, I could keep the bass in check pretty much the whole time. Even if I lose track of it by ear (as in hearing for the bass), I could still tell where it was by the thumps I was getting from the DD.

So, yeah, the X4 is definitely a winner in my book, and the price it was going for during the Black Friday sale is a steal if I've ever seen one. I hope more people get to experience the IEM and grab future discounts. Even at full price, I think this thing absolutely bangs for the buck.

Once again, from my family to yours, Merry Christmas and happy holidays! :blush:

DSC00185_Original.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #75,335 of 89,221
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #75,336 of 89,221
Merry Christmas everyone!!

Just missed to post a couple impressions from our great meetup downunder a couple days ago….Always good to catch up with the crew and see this group growing is even nicer. This time we had @Damz87 , @Yifang , @Bosk , @jaydoc1 , Camille and @Joe Bloggs

Thanks to Addicted to Audio for hosting us and even giving us his most expensive room. (unfortunately no one there was after a multiple 6digits home theatre :p )

The main thing on these meetups for me is the chat. So, as usual, I only tested a few things.

Aroma Fei Wan.

This was a love and hate demo for me. For bass heavy songs this things sounds fenomenal. The bass hits like pillow fights…smooth but powerful. Loved it. But on the other hand anything that has a bit of treble enphasis was like needles poking my eardrums…even out of N30LE that is a warm source. So if that “balance” is your taste, Fei Wan will be a hard to beat these days.

IMG_0282.jpeg

:)
I am confused by your "powerful pillow fight". :L3000: Joke aside, great impressions!

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #75,337 of 89,221
IMG_3652.png

Just gave the little brother his first Iem experience.. figured I’d start him light with the annihilator / gold brick combo 😂🎄🎶

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #75,338 of 89,221
It’s funny when I’m in the gym with a high-end Iem in I look around and think to myself… “no one here has a freaking clue what’s going on in these ears right now” Meanwhile, everyone probably thinks it’s ghetto because there’s a wire attached 😅
Regular folks are like: poor guy, can't afford wireless TWS.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #75,339 of 89,221
On the EE thread, Jack went through all the changes made on the revised set, which has basically been rebuilt from the ground-up with stronger shells, more accommodating sockets, an easier-to-QC internal structure, etc. It's basically a whole new product, and early impressions of those who've handled it at shows have been very positive. Here's to hoping those who pre-ordered finally get their units soon, and all we see are glowing impressions and reviews. :)

The 622B is easily in my top three IEMs of the year. In fact, I just voted for it. I'll talk about it more on my much-delayed PAPI 2023 coverage post, but it's probably the most technical warm-toned set I've ever heard. I basically called it an organic, naturalistic IEM in a technical powerhouse's body on my article. I think, if you're into warmer, more organic tonalities, but with huge macrodynamic swings and instruments that truly move, you'll love what the 622B has to offer.

If I'm the Eye of Sauron, these two IEMs Raven & 622B are now Frodo and Sam, entering Mordor. Thank you, I'm Intrigued!

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #75,340 of 89,221
I asked in the specific forum but only had two quite contradictory responses so I will try here if I may.

I have an opportunity to buy a new Campfire Solaris Mercury for a very good price. I understand the Mercury is a 2020 in a different colour shell.

EDITED: found a few reviews, decided to give them a miss.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #75,343 of 89,221
We can do pretty much any termination since all cables are built to order, headphone terminations as well!

What are the braiding options? (2W, 4W, 8W?)

Good evening, 'Coolers, and Merry Christmas to each and every single one of you. :blush: I just got up from a 5-hour nap after pulling an all-nighter mixing and mastering my church's latest Christmas recording, so please excuse any wooziness that may or may not be evident on this post.

In essence, I wanna wish everyone here a wonderful end to the year, whether you spend it with family, friends or even in private. I've had the most eventful, hectic and ultimately satisfying one I've ever had with the wedding and what-not. :D And, whether it was during event prep, suit fittings, workout sessions for said suit fittings, etc., I could always count on my lovely friends at the Watercooler thread for laughs, insights, friendships... and the occasional debate or two too. :wink: Again, I hope you've all had a positive 2023, and I wish you all a fresh, new, hopeful start to 2024 as well.

Also, I wanna dedicate my respect, gratitude and congrats to our one and only @Rockwell75. What Jeff initially started as a little chat group has evolved into one of Head-Fi's most active threads of all-time (I think that's fair to say, @warrenpchi?), and may the communal spirit that he and so many others here have fostered continue to thrive for more years to come. Congrats on 5K pages and 75-something-something posts - I don't even know the exact figure - and here's to 5K more!

Before I forget, this is said song I've been editing, mixing and mastering for the past couple weeks (or technically, only editing for the past couple weeks, then mixed and mastered in a rush over the past 24 hours :laughing:):

The first half of the video is a look back at many of the Christmas events, musicals and plays we've had at our current building for the 23 years we've been there. Today was our last Christmas there, as we're set to move to our new building next year. The backing track is a song my mom wrote back in the day for the choir. The track I worked on starts at 3:46, and it's a rearrangement of the track. This is what that mix section looked like a few hours into the process:

And, that's just the top half. There's an entire string section and 20 vocal tracks chilling below. :D

Also, 'fun fact, this song was entirely edited, mixed and mastered with the Bellos Audio X4 out of my 2019 MacBook Pro headphone output. So, if you listen to the track with those devices, then you're literally hearing it as the artist intended. 'No marketing BS there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

'Hope you all enjoy, and onto the replies!

'Easily well deserved, my friend. All the best on your reviewing journey. I hope you can learn from my own mistakes and shortcomings, and I look forward to what you've got cooking up for 2024. :wink:

Thanks so much, Warren! And, yeah, I've been loving the X4 more and more since I've been using it. I just drummed with it live yesterday and, as I said above, edited, mixed and mastered my first full track on it. The first of two things I've loved most about it is comfort. The In-Air Canals are a true innovation, and I've truly felt nothing like it. It's so strange, because, it physically feels like you haven't achieved a seal, because your ear canals feel almost-empty, but the isolation and bass response are perfect. I think it's low-key one of the most palpable/evident leaps in IEMs I've seen in recent memory, and it should definitely be talked about way more.

The second thing is bass response. A problem I've had with some of my reference IEMs in the past is, as I get fatigued or as the track starts getting crowded, I start losing track of the bass. I usually end up with mixes that are too bloated, especially between the sub- and mid-bass. The first reference IEM I had that sorta dodged this was the Sharona, but I think the X4 does an even better job at it, probably 'cus of ATOM and the In-Air Canals. Throughout the mixing process, I could keep the bass in check pretty much the whole time. Even if I lose track of it by ear (as in hearing for the bass), I could still tell where it was by the thumps I was getting from the DD.

So, yeah, the X4 is definitely a winner in my book, and the price it was going for during the Black Friday sale is a steal if I've ever seen one. I hope more people get to experience the IEM and grab future discounts. Even at full price, I think this thing absolutely bangs for the buck.

Once again, from my family to yours, Merry Christmas and happy holidays! :blush:

Thanks for the shoutout and for this epic and touching post!

I'm at a loss for words when I reflect on how this community has progressed and grown over the years. I may have made the first post but it's everyone else who makes this place what it is-- grateful to each and every one here. Here's to another great year!

@Rockwell75 Couldn't finish the poll as I have heard zero mid-fi IEMs. Google insists on answering though.

drftr

That was not intentional-- fixed. The only required question is the first one.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #75,344 of 89,221
But the 20k+ stuff is even more refined. Think about it and don't waste your time with the 10k stuff !!! 🥳
At that point, I’d rather invest vs blow it on audio gear. 10-20k is a LOT, and can fund several different things and interests. At least with Storm since it’s a reference IEM I could write it off as a business expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back