The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 25, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #75,362 of 90,347
Oof!! What a story... 😦 Hope you feel much better now. Let me know if you make the mistake to visit the Netherlands as well and we'll set up a micro CanJam ourselves.

drftr

We should really try figure out a Europe Watercooler meet-up!

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #75,364 of 90,347
My reaction when I finally see the price of the new Elysian flagship...

275237868_674083316974240_7133848435052011217_n 2.jpg

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #75,368 of 90,347
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #75,369 of 90,347
You have to choose both, or none.
I'd extremely happily choose none. Dio was one of my biggest disappointments at CJ SG.

I just looked up what I wrote at the time:

"[...] The most notable other disappointment was many others' show favourite Elysian Dio which is in prototype stage with its tuning being 90% ready. I managed to get a handful of Coolers around Lee to take a pic for Jeff, and if I recall correctly it was with Jim's camera so I hope he will share later. I really admire what he manages to pull off as a mostly one-man enterprise but it's just not my kind of tuning unfortunately. It's just that I would love to support this kind of small-scale setups. Oh well..."

and:

"Elysian Dio (prototype)
Elysian and me just don't have much synergy. I found the new prototype a bit nasal and rather squeezed sounding, and like with Annihilator 21 the timbre for the bass didn't match the timbre of the mids. Sub bass kicked in far too late for my taste and on some tracks I felt whole instruments in the mid bass / lower mids region were missing. Also like Anni 21 I found the mid bass very thumpy."

drftr

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #75,370 of 90,347
I'd extremely happily choose none. Dio was one of my biggest disappointments at CJ SG.

I just looked up what I wrote at the time:

"[...] The most notable other disappointment was many others' show favourite Elysian Dio which is in prototype stage with its tuning being 90% ready. I managed to get a handful of Coolers around Lee to take a pic for Jeff, and if I recall correctly it was with Jim's camera so I hope he will share later. I really admire what he manages to pull off as a mostly one-man enterprise but it's just not my kind of tuning unfortunately. It's just that I would love to support this kind of small-scale setups. Oh well..."

and:

"Elysian Dio (prototype)
Elysian and me just don't have much synergy. I found the new prototype a bit nasal and rather squeezed sounding, and like with Annihilator 21 the timbre for the bass didn't match the timbre of the mids. Sub bass kicked in far too late for my taste and on some tracks I felt whole instruments in the mid bass / lower mids region were missing. Also like Anni 21 I found the mid bass very thumpy."

drftr

Okay maybe Rn6 + Upgrade cable then it is 😆 I remember you told me that you loved Rn6 best out of everything you tried!

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #75,371 of 90,347
Okay maybe Rn6 + Upgrade cable then it is 😆 I remember you told me that you loved Rn6 best out of everything you tried!
Thank you Lord; I knew you existed...

I can't be helped, my friend. I'd love to see a mix of Sultan, Ronin, Rn6, and Mentor. Perhaps it's called 622B? Nothing beats dreaming.

drftr

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #75,372 of 90,347
I enjoyed listening to most of these monsters at CanJam Socal and was duly impressed. N30LE is a next gen sort of beast and will be around for awhile as those 400 or so units trickle through the community.

I left Canjam determined to get one of these, the RS8 being the prime candidate. An almost LP6 in sound with all of the features LP6 doesn't have. At the show, a couple of guys lamented that the Shanling flagship wasn't there for demo.

In a rather blind move, and at Jeff's suggestion, I decided to buy the Shanling M9+ instead of these others that I'd already heard and liked. Now, this has turned out to be a great decision as this DAP delivers exactly what I was looking for - a warm, bass-pronounced powerhouse with a black, silent background, ability to stream (tho I use that almost never, but I like having it), and unlike that SP3000, open android system.

What is crazy is how under appreciated this DAP is and I can only think it's due to lack of access and no one has heard it. @Shanling , you should put this DAP on a tour. All of this talk around SP3000 (and no offense to it, it's a great player) and zero discussion of the, IMHO, superior M9+!? Your DAP deserves some notice!

Let me shill it for them. This DAP is lighter and more portable than all the aforementioned TOTL players, I believe. It has a very similar inside architecture as a DS player to the SP3000, but it's tuned a bit more to bass and mids, while still providing an entirely accurate and resolving, punchy sound profile. It has an awesome feature called Pure mode that turns off all Android features and locks you into Shanlings music player which is great (but lacks gapless 🤔) and sounds, well, pure, and if you're playing from SD card, a spectacular sound. I actually use the Android app UAPP which also supposedly bypasses the Android sound limitations, and it's a phenomenal player app and gui.

I saw the diagram from our recent poll and the absence of this DAP was such a disappointment, and should be especially to Shanling. Did I mention this DAP is also much cheaper than all the competition??

Jeff, you will be impressed by it when you finally get the chance to hear it!

It was going to be Project M, but based on the recent reviews, I may wait and demo.

I am afraid it could end up being a Kinera Loki Emerald, but the Elysian Pilgrim could be easier to swallow. Thankfully, I'm loaded with demos right now, so not feeling any immediate urges to buy any iems right now.
When I was buying my DAP, there were two contenders left: M9+ and RS8. Went with RS8 because M9+ didn't sound like enough of an update over M9, and RS8 could do all sorts of saltos, if asked

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #75,373 of 90,347
Thank you Lord; I knew you existed...

I can't be helped, my friend. I'd love to see a mix of Sultan, Ronin, Rn6, and Mentor. Perhaps it's called 622B? Nothing beats dreaming.

drftr

Come to SG canjam 2024 and maybe it can be yours too 😉

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #75,375 of 90,347
Air Pods Pro are fully capable and sufficient for those not into "hobby", as in the fashion business.

Hobbys are ego- and insecurity-driven, so getting TOTLs and $1k+ cables to match is fully self-inflicted... pleasures

I had you on my ignore list and I was wondering why...check this message...not wondering anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back