The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #69,706 of 91,357
Peter Wong sent me this photo today :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 09.18.22.jpeg

These are mine Unique Melody x PWA First Times Shielding and Meet Agains Shielding terminated in... flat 2pin!

The problem: It's always a hassle to use protruding 2pin plugs especially with custom in-ears. With universals maybe not as much, but they also don't look as they supposed to be...

So now it turns out Peter Wong always had these types of plugs. Turns out that it's these companies fault that they always match flat sockets with protruding plugs... I can't wrap my head around this.

I know that at least @shznn cares too. Like this post if you care also, maybe we can convince some of these companies to start taking this into account at last?

Oh, in case you're wondering, I paid roughly 1700 HKD with shipping for 6 cables total. Google says it's 217 USD.

P.S. I took the opportunity to publish some more thoughts on this and photos elsewhere. I hope not to anger admins by linking to this for interested persons: https://ccfound.com/en/groups/1ee73f69-2521-62b8-9561-7702a5682613 (you can choose your language in the lower left corner, all of the content gets translated automatically).

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #69,707 of 91,357
Peter Wong sent me this photo today :)

These are mine Unique Melody x PWA First Times Shielding and Meet Agains Shielding terminated in... flat 2pin!

The problem: It's always a hassle to use protruding 2pin plugs especially with custom in-ears. With universals maybe not as much, but they also don't look as they supposed to be...

So now it turns out Peter Wong always had these types of plugs. Turns out that it's these companies fault that they always match flat sockets with protruding plugs... I can't wrap my head around this.

I know that at least @shznn cares too. Like this post if you care also, maybe we can convince some of these companies to start taking this into account at last?

Oh, in case you're wondering, I paid roughly 1700 HKD with shipping for 6 cables total. Google says it's 217 USD.

P.S. I took the opportunity to publish some more thoughts on this and photos elsewhere. I hope not to anger admins by linking to this for interested persons: https://ccfound.com/en/groups/1ee73f69-2521-62b8-9561-7702a5682613 (you can choose your language in the lower left corner, all of the content gets translated automatically).
Ye indeed; don't get me wrong protruding 2pin terminations would be great for recessed 2pin IEMs; the problems is for some reason they stopped recessing the IEMs and then the cablemakers continued making the protruding connectors which is beyond annoying. I'm also curious how the 2pin even became the standard; possibly because it's the simplest but it's awfully fragile if not recessed. I assume they're cutting corners by making the IEM shells flat since this leaves more volume inside but god is it awful when you have to plugin a protruding connector into a flat socket. It then juts out, goes upwards past my ear, then the hook hovers a centimeter above my ear and the whole thing is leaning forward toward my forehead instead of backwards behind my ear. It's just a big pile of nonsense. The dream would be angled 2pin connectors, protruding, with recessed IEMs. The JH Audio connectors are absolute dope when they're 4pin angled but it's only them making em.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #69,708 of 91,357
thanks for the comment! firstly, I also feel the problem with eartips - given the miniature size of Sngl (the nozzles too short for me) they fit poorly enough to the auricle for the bass level to be constantly noticeable, and secondly, yes, they are terribly energy-hungry; and for 512 there is a non-standard shape for ordinary eartips, i.e. will only stock ones work?
i use all kinds of tips on 512 / 821. They just have to be squeezed into oval shape and very occasionally one might remain in my ear after removing the iem.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #69,710 of 91,357
I am looking to upgrade my cable for my UM Amber Pearl (shpped with my Cayin N30LE).

I have on my list the YATONO and MURAKUMO from Brise Audio or the ORPHEUS and 1950s from PWAudio. Other suggestions ?

QUESTION: I wonder if the PWAudio Cables can be shipped with a L type 4.4 plug rather than a Strait plug ?

I think @HiFiHawaii808 may be able to share, he has a number of cables, and most of what you have mentioned. Orph is a pretty darn good pairing, I’ve done some minor cable rolling but prefer something which does not lean out the bass impact too much.
I think I finally landed on the Fusion1 for the AP. Very well balanced, a bit tighter yet plentiful bass impact, and a slightly smoother yet detailed treble. Nice, wide and natural soundstage. More importantly (to me), it brings the beautiful mids slightly forward and creates a more W shaped balance than the other cables I tried. At least, to my ears!

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #69,711 of 91,357
I'm finding Anni 2023 bass to be very tight, certainly not fluffy. And most importantly, it really doesn't take over the show but keeps up so well that it becomes quite nicely balanced. I only listened to Rn6 for a short while but my memory says they are more similar (red module) but Anni delivering a deeper, more rumbly bass.
I love my anni 2021 as it fits perfectly in my collection with my aura and xe6 but if I had to pick a one all rounder it would probably be the anni 2023 with that new tight/rumbly bass improvement

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #69,712 of 91,357
The dream would be angled 2pin connectors, protruding, with recessed IEMs. The JH Audio connectors are absolute dope when they're 4pin angled but it's only them making em.

Is this boxing in the IEM design. Every manufacturer just needs to adopt ipx even if it means licensing fees to estron. Its the best connector amongst my stable of mmcx, 2-pin and ipx monitors (IP67, rated for more connection cycles). Usual imo / ymmv

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #69,713 of 91,357
Is this boxing in the IEM design. Every manufacturer just needs to adopt ipx even if it means licensing fees to estron. Its the best connector amongst my stable of mmcx, 2-pin and ipx monitors (IP67, rated for more connection cycles). Usual imo / ymmv
I agree. IPX has been my favorite non-proprietary connector for a while now. The only hurdle it faces is the sheer ubiquity of 2-pin. It’s almost like 2.5mm balanced in a way; an objectively weak connector that happened to become the norm just because it came out first. Even when 4.4mm debuted and was easily miles better in all aspects, it took years and 5-10 of the biggest brands adopting it to finally usurp 2.5mm. What IPX needs is more brands championing it to become the new standard.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #69,714 of 91,357
They are still making recessed connectors on IEMs-- Monachaa has them. That said 2-pin is my least favorite by some margin. MMCX, Pentaconn and QDC style are all vastly preferable imho.

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #69,715 of 91,357
I agree. IPX has been my favorite non-proprietary connector for a while now. The only hurdle it faces is the sheer ubiquity of 2-pin. It’s almost like 2.5mm balanced in a way; an objectively weak connector that happened to become the norm just because it came out first. Even when 4.4mm debuted and was easily miles better in all aspects, it took years and 5-10 of the biggest brands adopting it to finally usurp 2.5mm. What IPX needs is more brands championing it to become the new standard.
I think we are stuck with 2 pin. Too many cables out there now with 2pin. At least we got 4.4mm.

For the record, I like P-ear connectors, but I have never tried IPX.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #69,716 of 91,357
At the very least Con-X needs to be the standard going forward. I'm grateful it exists, especially given a good many of my favorite IEMs are mmcx.

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #69,717 of 91,357
At the very least Con-X needs to be the standard going forward. I'm grateful it exists, especially given a good many of my favorite IEMs are mmcx.
I am sure it will be. I have seen a few Japanese boutique cable makers offering it as an option. And e-earphone in japan has a service to convert your existing cables. This is what is mentioned on their website : We are currently receiving a large number of requests, and it may take approximately 1 to 2 weeks for repairs to be completed.

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #69,718 of 91,357
Being able to rotate an IEM, helps with fit so much! That being said, I have broken most MMCX connectors I have had. FDX1 is the worst culprit. I broke like 3 pairs of them and just gave up. The Sennheisser reccessed MMCX is more stable, but the cable sucks and there aren't any other cables that fit off the shelf. IPX sweat resistance is nice. My first few customs were all IPX, but I didn't love the cables they came with. I ended up just going with 2 pin and suffering.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #69,719 of 91,357
So, I finally caved in, bit the bullet, and got both the Campfire Supermoon and Campfire Bonneville.

2X2A3178_1.jpg

2X2A3182.jpg

I really like this new flat-braided cable that Campfire is bundling with the higher-end IEMs. Not a big fan of the carrying cases though which are oversized to a degree and offers no protection from impact.

2X2A3171.jpg

2X2A3166.jpg

As for the sound, the Supermoon are getting the most "ear-time" right now. Phenomenal balance across the frequency range and for once, the timbre is excellent (which is not the case for practically every other planar IEMs that I've tried). The other great part is the fit and isolation (for me). With the foam tips, near custom-like fit and isolation can be achieved.

The Supermoon also scale a lot. The pairing with Questyle CMA Twelve Master is sublime.

Next up, Bonneville. The sound is similar to Andromeda in many aspects, but the upper-treble is further pronounced. The graph, for reference:

1699287220816.png

I also found the Bonneville to be quite source-sensitive. With the RU7, the treble was a bit too spicy. This was mostly solved with LPGT. In the end, I guess a lot of the impressions about Bonneville will be determined by the chain, and how much upper-treble one can handle.

2X2A3186.jpg

One area where Bonneville stands out is overall layering of instruments. Reminds me a bit of MEST mk2, but with far fewer drivers. Also the bass has very good slam and rumble, all the good stuff.

Let's see how both of these IEMs fare over time but for now, things look promising.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #69,720 of 91,357
After a few months waiting, my Nightjar Sovereign Symphony cable arrived today

IMG_3250.jpeg

@tamtrum wrote an excellent impressions post on the Storm thread and my opinion basically mirrors his exactly. It’s a big chonker of a cable but it’s surprisingly ergonomic and comfortable. Previously I was using the Brise Yatono Ultimate 8-wire, and Sovereign Symphony is significantly more comfortable. Sound wise, I hear it as warm, analogue and full sounding, with a much smoother lower treble while adding some mid treble sparkle and upper treble air. The soundstage expansion is also very noticeable. Everything gets pushed further out and deeper/wider, which took my ears a little while to adjust to as I’m used to a more intimate sound with Storm but after a couple hours I really began to appreciate how open and immersive the presentation had become.

Out of all the cables I’ve tried with Storm (PW Orpheus shielding & FT shielding, EA Centurion/Chiron/Cleo 2 Octa/Fusion1/Cadmus FE/Eros S, ET Ode to Laura & Sonnet of Adam, Brise Yatono/Silver Concept, and Nightjar Mira 2 & 4 wire) I’d say Sovereign Symphony makes the biggest and most obvious impact to the sound and I think this would be a great cable to showcase how much a cable can influence sound. It’s quite remarkable and transformative for Storm. Couldn’t be happier with this purchase and would highly recommend it to any Storm owner that would like a warmer, more natural sound without sacrificing any technical performance and a larger soundstage. Gotta give thanks to @AxLvR for recommending it to me :)
Wondering where you are going to put Amber Pearl in your IEM ranking list :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back