The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #42,346 of 87,693
Is this similar sound tuning on the Dream/Dream XLS?

I don't have measurement of Dream XLS for comparison to overlap in the graph, but here is how Perpetua "looks". Unfortunately, I heard it very long time ago, and can't find the notes I took.

Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #42,347 of 87,693
I don't have measurement of Dream XLS for comparison to overlap in the graph, but here is how Perpetua "looks". Unfortunately, I heard it very long time ago, and can't find the notes I took.

Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg
That is a pretty flat freaking IEM. One day I'm going to listen to an insanely priced, equally insanely flat IEM (like this or FatFreq Tsuru) to figure out why you'd tune it this way and why it's desirable.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #42,348 of 87,693
I feel the same way.
Reason why I never felt comfortable with Traillii. Each time I had it in my ear, it just felt like a suction cup that I couldn't pretend to not notice.

If an iem/cable don't feel comfortable in my ear, it doesn't really motivate me to listen to music no matter how great it sounds 🥲

Actually I dealt with this problem for a long time.

Some of us guys have many kinds of little problems in the neck and ears regions that do not affect our daily lives much, but do affect using closed IEMs, especially CIEMs. Actually what you guys write should be an alarm to try diagnosing a few things to be sure you're allright.

Bear in mind that many people do not get the effects you write about. Musicians use closed-back CIEMs and jump on the stage while singing their songs. That should at least make us ask questions.

This is very hard for me to explain in English so please take into account I have to do some verbal gymnastics as this is medical language...

So! These problems include:

1) Assymetrical jaws and occlusion.

Many of us went to a orthodontist, but they typically focus on cosmetic teeth straightening, which has completely nothing to do with treatment of the mandibular-maxillary joints (joints in the jaws). Improper symmetry and tensions in the joints produce an effect that you feel uncomfortable with closed in-ears. What to do? Try finding an orthodontist that is actually treating joints as a doctor, not focusing only on cosmetic effects.

2) Whiplash and other neck joints problems.

Many people had some minor head injuries in the past. Unless you went to a really good osteopath specializing in neck area (maybe a really great physiotherapist), you will never know you could actually be better. Some of your neck tendons could even be torn when you were a kid and hit your head, and then others take their job to compensate, and you will never know. Having a problem with closed IEMs is at least a good reason to try diagnosing also this.

3) Even after the above, you may have to still check the occlusion of your teeth with a doctor specializing in occlusion.

And you may need to re-train your muscles, used throughout the years to an improper occlusion, whereas your muscles may be stronger on left or right side, or just tense like a rock in some places (like... frozen). Your teeth get 3D scanned and a special tooth splint is produced - a piece of plastic worn on teeth so that your jaw looses the typicall contact between the upper and lower jaw and learns again.

Also using a mat with spikes helps to relieve the tensions most of us don't even know we have until we get relieved of them... your good physiotherapist should also use this, especially ones that do manual teraphy - search for this!

Again, there will be more and less engaged people in each field, and your search will take time... You need to compare people, cross-reference them, this is not a simple problem to be solved in 5 minutes.

I had all of these problems to some extent, and then more. After years of working on this I actually developed a proper jaw symmetry, muscle tension symmetry and posture. Was it worth it? Of course! Every hour and every penny.

- I started with assymetrical hearing when using CIEMs (when I had a bad day) and I had this suction discomfort you guys write about.
- Nowadays I can jump with CIEMs and hear symmetrically without any discomfort.
- Even when an airplane lifts off and I wear CIEMs, I don't even have to take them off when changing altitudes quickly.

Now I know this is not a medical forum, but if we were to share something to the masses, as one of you wrote, it shouldn't be "don't use closed IEMs" but "take care of your jaw / neck / teeth / spine health". This is very unpopular between "normal people" with little problems (as in "I don't like unvented IEMs"). People start curing these things only after it's too late (when they are really injured).

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #42,349 of 87,693
That is a pretty flat freaking IEM. One day I'm going to listen to an insanely priced, equally insanely flat IEM (like this or FatFreq Tsuru) to figure out why you'd tune it this way and why it's desirable.
Well... I wouldn't say it's flat for sure! First, there's that nasty 5-7 dB treble peak. It may be a measurement "error" (all IEMs peak at some point, this is normal and has to do with ear canal lenght - or how far you shove them inside the microphone).
Secondly, @twister6 uses a flattened graph, I would rather present it like this...
Dita_Perpetua-FR01.jpg
The bass is clearly boosted about 5dB and upper mids slighly recessed. It doesn't look so bad.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #42,350 of 87,693
Well... I wouldn't say it's flat for sure! First, there's that nasty 5-7 dB treble peak. It may be a measurement "error" (all IEMs peak at some point, this is normal and has to do with ear canal lenght - or how far you shove them inside the microphone).
Secondly, @twister6 uses a flattened graph, I would rather present it like this...

The bass is clearly boosted about 5dB and upper mids slighly recessed. It doesn't look so bad.
Normalized to 700Hz, outside of the small pinna gains, there are basically few deviations all the way to the coupler resonance on either set. They're not PERFECTLY flat, but for as far as IEMs go they don't get flatter than this
C8BCD470-325E-4428-BDDB-97D395CF5206.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #42,352 of 87,693
Saturday night mood.
Dunno why but I decided to plug PlusSound TriHybrid to Aroma Star and i can’t stop to listen it, it’s incredible what a single BA can do🫢
I really want to listen Jam and Neo😅
6A63ABE1-2124-4E43-BE05-EB7E96251970.jpeg
788150C0-6242-4F7C-AD19-3C4C5C1D7899.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #42,353 of 87,693
Normalized to 700Hz, outside of the small pinna gains, there are basically few deviations all the way to the coupler resonance on either set. They're not PERFECTLY flat, but for as far as IEMs go they don't get flatter than thisC8BCD470-325E-4428-BDDB-97D395CF5206.jpeg
Well this looks like a completely different IEM to me xD :)

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #42,354 of 87,693
Saturday night mood.
Dunno why but I decided to plug PlusSound TriHybrid to Aroma Star and i can’t stop to listen it, it’s incredible what a single BA can do🫢
I really want to listen Jam and Neo😅6A63ABE1-2124-4E43-BE05-EB7E96251970.jpeg788150C0-6242-4F7C-AD19-3C4C5C1D7899.jpeg
Rock it mate!!!

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #42,355 of 87,693
Well it’s nearing the end of the year and I have been keeping tabs on my favorite albums of 2022. I shared last year and everyone seemed to enjoy it and I love seeing others lists as well. Hope you all share!!
Here is mine, anything in bold is my top choices within the genres. If any new albums come out that I love I’ll be sure to add to the list :)

Favorite Albums of 2022

Pop/ Rock/ Singer Songwriter/Folk

Arny Margaret- They only talk about the Weather

Just Mustard- Heart Under

Beth Orton- Weather Alive

The Beatles- Revolver(super deluxe)

Sharon Van Etten-We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong

Tomberlin- I don’t know who needs to hear this…

Angel Olsen- Big Time

Katie Kim- Hour of The Ox

Florist- ST

Gilla Band- Most Normal

Alvvays- Blue Rev

Indigo Sparke- Hysteria

Kevin Morby- This is A Photograph

Yves Jarvis- The Zug

Alex G- God Save The Animals

Chat Pile- God’s Country

Julia Jacklin- Pre Pleasure

The Smile- A Light for Attracting Attention

Fontaines D.C.- Skinty Fia

Beach House- Once Twice Melody

Black Country, New Road- Ants From Up There

Cate Le Bon- Pompeii

Animal Collective- Time Skiffs

Pedro The Lion- Havasu

Big Thief- Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You

S.G. Goodman- Teeth Marks

Diiv- Live

Claire days- Emotional Territory

Weyes Blood- And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- World Record

Dream Unending- Song of Salvation

Astrel K- Flickering i

Greg Freeman- I looked out

Anna Mieke- Theatre

Anthony Green- Boom. Done.

Classical/Opera

Max Richter- The New Four Seasons

Caroline Shaw- Evergreen

Matteo Myderwyk- Veluwe Suite

WeinBerg- Sonatas for Violin Solo

Rachel Podger- Tutta Sola

Haydn- Symphonies Nos. 6,7,8 “Le Matin”, Le midi”, “Le Soir”

Debussy- Pelleas et Melisande

Maria Callas- Callas Sings French Arias

Jazz

The Bad Plus- ST

Keith Jarrett- Bordeaux Concert(live)

Makaya McCraven- In These Times, International Anthem

Tord Gustavsen Trio- Opening

Tom Skinner-Voices of Bishara

Arild Andersen Group- Affirmation

Laufey- Everything I know about love

Leland Whitty- Anyhow

Matthew Halsall- Changing Earth

Electronic/Ambient

Junior Boys- Waiting Game

Maria Chiara Argiro- Forest City

Rachika Nayar- Heaven come Crashing

Loraine James- Building Something Beautiful for Me

Daniel Avery- Ultra Truth

Nosaj Thing- Continua

Dawn Richard/Spencer Zahn- Pigments

Duval Timothy- Meeting with a Judas Tree

Bruno Sanfilippo- Redes

Fabric Selects- I (various artists)

Romance- Once Upon a Time

R&B/Soul/Funk

Sudan Archives- Natural Brown Prom Queen

Bobby Oroza- Get on The Otherside

Nick Hakim- Cometa

Sault- II

World

Natalia LaFourcade- De Todas las Flores

Lucrecia Dalt- Ay!

Mabe Fratti- Se Ve Desde Aquí

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #42,356 of 87,693
He defines sub-bass as follows:

"infrasonic Below the range of audible frequencies. Although inaudible, the infrasonic range from 15-20Hz can be felt if strongly reproduced."
Nice... That's in line with what I expected as there should be no re-definition of sub. That means I will add lower bass impressions for future demos.

Normalized to 700Hz, outside of the small pinna gains, there are basically few deviations all the way to the coupler resonance on either set. They're not PERFECTLY flat, but for as far as IEMs go they don't get flatter than this
That's exactly how they sounded to me: Missing oomph and aggression, but being extremely linear. While I have always been looking for exactly this, admittedly it is too much of a good thing. If they can add a little bit of both in their next model then it's going to be a big deal.

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #42,357 of 87,693
Well it’s nearing the end of the year and I have been keeping tabs on my favorite albums of 2022. I shared last year and everyone seemed to enjoy it and I love seeing others lists as well. Hope you all share!!
Here is mine, anything in bold is my top choices within the genres. If any new albums come out that I love I’ll be sure to add to the list :)

Favorite Albums of 2022

Pop/ Rock/ Singer Songwriter/Folk

Arny Margaret- They only talk about the Weather

Just Mustard- Heart Under

Beth Orton- Weather Alive

The Beatles- Revolver(super deluxe)

Sharon Van Etten-We’ve Been Going About This All Wrong

Tomberlin- I don’t know who needs to hear this…

Angel Olsen- Big Time

Katie Kim- Hour of The Ox

Florist- ST

Gilla Band- Most Normal

Alvvays- Blue Rev

Indigo Sparke- Hysteria

Kevin Morby- This is A Photograph

Yves Jarvis- The Zug

Alex G- God Save The Animals

Chat Pile- God’s Country

Julia Jacklin- Pre Pleasure

The Smile- A Light for Attracting Attention

Fontaines D.C.- Skinty Fia

Beach House- Once Twice Melody

Black Country, New Road- Ants From Up There

Cate Le Bon- Pompeii

Animal Collective- Time Skiffs

Pedro The Lion- Havasu

Big Thief- Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You

S.G. Goodman- Teeth Marks

Diiv- Live

Claire days- Emotional Territory

Weyes Blood- And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- World Record

Dream Unending- Song of Salvation

Astrel K- Flickering i

Greg Freeman- I looked out

Anna Mieke- Theatre

Anthony Green- Boom. Done.

Classical/Opera

Max Richter- The New Four Seasons

Caroline Shaw- Evergreen

Matteo Myderwyk- Veluwe Suite

WeinBerg- Sonatas for Violin Solo

Rachel Podger- Tutta Sola

Haydn- Symphonies Nos. 6,7,8 “Le Matin”, Le midi”, “Le Soir”

Debussy- Pelleas et Melisande

Maria Callas- Callas Sings French Arias

Jazz

The Bad Plus- ST

Keith Jarrett- Bordeaux Concert(live)

Makaya McCraven- In These Times, International Anthem

Tord Gustavsen Trio- Opening

Tom Skinner-Voices of Bishara

Arild Andersen Group- Affirmation

Laufey- Everything I know about love

Leland Whitty- Anyhow

Matthew Halsall- Changing Earth

Electronic/Ambient

Junior Boys- Waiting Game

Maria Chiara Argiro- Forest City

Rachika Nayar- Heaven come Crashing

Loraine James- Building Something Beautiful for Me

Daniel Avery- Ultra Truth

Nosaj Thing- Continua

Dawn Richard/Spencer Zahn- Pigments

Duval Timothy- Meeting with a Judas Tree

Bruno Sanfilippo- Redes

Fabric Selects- I (various artists)

Romance- Once Upon a Time

R&B/Soul/Funk

Sudan Archives- Natural Brown Prom Queen

Bobby Oroza- Get on The Otherside

Nick Hakim- Cometa

Sault- II

World

Natalia LaFourcade- De Todas las Flores

Lucrecia Dalt- Ay!

Mabe Fratti- Se Ve Desde Aquí
Great!! Would you mind doing a small edit and adding the interpretation for Haydn and Debussy?

drftr

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #42,358 of 87,693
Crinacle visited e-earphone in Akihabara, and he reviewed numerous IEMs out of this trip plus others: no new S tier. I guess as a reviewer like Crinacle, eventually you will get bored of listening to too many IEMs.

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #42,360 of 87,693
Crinacle visited e-earphone in Akihabara, and he reviewed numerous IEMs out of this trip plus others: no new S tier. I guess as a reviewer like Crinacle, eventually you will get bored of listening to too many IEMs.
Classics like Monarch MKII don't come around often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back