The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #42,331 of 88,625
Yea the Hydra 22 is stiff. Their new cables are very good. You should try. Those in the hobby long enough will know how good Toxic cables are.
I have no doubts about the sound quality.
The mentioned Hydra sounded really good. So if there is such an opportunity, I will definitely get to know them.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #42,332 of 88,625
Looks like its a flap over the volume end but not too sure. It's the same layout for heat dissipation as stock though, wonder if dignis gets rid of heat better due to the extra vents / fins... :thinking:

Screenshot_20221209_004822_Edge.jpg
I believe that they will be able to do better than stock.
The stock N8-2 case was disappointing in its fit to the player.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #42,333 of 88,625
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #42,334 of 88,625
This is an isobarid design and I've been trying to buy this from China for a while.
It is famous for having the widest soundstage but lacks midrange intimacy.

That’s good to know, first indication of how it might perform!

How are you getting on now with Perpetua? - still one I’m very curious about.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #42,335 of 88,625
That’s good to know, first indication of how it might perform!

How are you getting on now with Perpetua? - still one I’m very curious about.
For me, it was the item of the year. I don't use it as much as I like as I'm too scared to loss it.

But I haven't heard anything similar tuned to PPT.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #42,336 of 88,625
For me, it was the item of the year. I don't use it as much as I like as I'm too scared to loss it.

But I haven't heard anything similar tuned to PPT.
Is this similar sound tuning on the Dream/Dream XLS?

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #42,337 of 88,625
I fear Rockwell75 will ask me to leave this thread :) But if I don't get band from this thread, it would be a pleasure to share before I loose my fading memories of these bit of history.

Lt Colonel Harold Burton Lee was a surgeon and he was at Normandie during D-Day on the beaches. His personal memory is of shells blowing up around him. "It was quite hectic" he said in a typical British understated humor. Quite heroic. He was also one of the first Ultra marathoners. His research into human endurance was used by researchers to prepare Britain for the Mexico Olympics. He worked with endurance researchers including former members of the Sir Hilary Mt Everest Expedition. He was with Field Ambulance 140 (basically a mobile surgical field hospital).
You could write down your memories in notebooks, then those will become a piece of history in years to come. I spent several years working to preserve the private archives of a Scottish scientist that included nearly 300 scientific notebooks. Such notebooks are a treasure trove for historians as these condense information and include personal thoughts. For your collection it could be similar. A condensed source of information on the different watches, as well as your own thoughts on how you acquired them and what drew you to individual pieces.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #42,339 of 88,625
I had some tip troubles as always with new sets, finally landed on Azla Short Standard today for Mentor - perfect fit.

This really is a fantastic set, and absolutely competes with Traillii and Jewel in my opinion. I sort of regretted the knee jerk sale of both as I succumbed to the charm of Turii Ti a few weeks ago, Mentor seems to be stepping up and comfortably filling that gap for a top tier hybrid in my collection.

A1C50014-F2EE-4797-BFA2-1EAF51E4A3A3.jpeg

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #42,340 of 88,625
I have no doubts about the sound quality.
The mentioned Hydra sounded really good. So if there is such an opportunity, I will definitely get to know them.
For purely sound quality, Toxic, Plussound & PW are my top 3 cable brands. I don't really care how the cables look like as long as they sound good. :)

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #42,341 of 88,625
Music. The reason we are all here. On this platform. On this thread. Because it counts. Kudos to @Rockwell75

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #42,342 of 88,625
He defines sub-bass as follows:

"infrasonic Below the range of audible frequencies. Although inaudible, the infrasonic range from 15-20Hz can be felt if strongly reproduced."

Seems fine:

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
It's the first time I read that definition. If this is the commonly accepted definition, then BCD will be the right choice for sub-bass, since you can "feel" it instead of hear it.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #42,343 of 88,625
Sub-bass IS lower bass. Mid-mid would sound daft, so it's lower/upper and some leeway in-between, treble stretches on for days, from 5/6K-ish to 20K (and beyond if you believe in pseudoscience), so splitting it into low/mid/upper makes sense (and correlates with auditory perception too). It's fairly conventional and has been defined that way for as long as I can remember.
Well, mid-mids is pretty easy I think, it's just around 1kHz. The old "phone effect"! Some totl earphones may be criticized for concentrating too much on exactly the mid-mids, often without a proper emphasis (or coloration) on upper mids. Namely:
- EE Zeus XRA
- KSE1500 (KSE1200) without EQ
- JH Audio Jolene

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #42,344 of 88,625
This track is stunning with Hiby RS8 > FIR NE4 CIEM with Eletech Iliad.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #42,345 of 88,625
I found and translated some impressions of the MA Eclipse as per below. Clearly some words don’t translate very well, but definitely get some sense of what to expect!

There is further discussion after this initial post if anyone fancies reading - HERE

Direct access by elevator
Jump to the designated floor

1st floor

online_member.gif
Published on 2022-8-16 17:41 | Just look at the author | Just look at the big picture
Reply Reward
From Beijing
173303gmjzkqnkk5rirks4.jpg

First of all, I saw a lot of things before that I don't know how to listen to this plugs balanced (isn't there too many basshead?), and the double circles are obviously a lower set. To be precise, there are a lot of sub-bass of plugs. Fortunately, the speed is not slow (although it's not as fast as IE900 IE600). ), there is no masking effect. It's no problem to say it's omnivorous. Don't talk about balance. The PP8 in my hand is speechless.

Wearing is really the same effect as I expected as the cavity of greedy chicken. Personally, I can even lie on my side without bulge, which can be used as a sleep plug. Of course, some people can't handle this cavity. If you can't listen and are afraid of wearing a rollover, you can try the prism.

Speak and listen loudly:

Amazing point: In 2022, I finally found a plug as big as the Z1R sound field (I have run all over Beijing headphone stores, and 80% of the flagships, including many limited ones, have heard of them).

The voice is the second accurate one I've ever heard. It must be in the Harman curve that does not walk on the rotten street (don't discuss it about the strange one of Senhai), but with Sean Olive's objective measurement of 3k peak before adding subjective preferences, which is equivalent to B&K 4128, that is, woodenears. Target, very close (I don't believe that if there is a curve to see one day), it is even slightly more conservative than it. It can probably be recognized at a height near the Cinacle IEF target. In short, it's a good thing not to blindly follow. On the other hand, there is no tooth tone at all. The double circle is the third plug I have heard in Beijing headphone stores so far. This is absolutely hard work hard to adjust it with understanding. Whether it is done or Zhiyu, it is my most praise. In addition, those who say that the double-loop voice has a granular sense and have to hope for the rescue of the cooker. Congratulations on being cheated by the original set (I have always disgusted with a set of other people's condoms. The condom should be developed/selected synchronously with tuning). I changed to Weize ET100 here and return to normal in an instant.

The whole low frequency of the double circle is the path of Z1R. The difference is that there is an obvious gap in diving. Z1R can hit the neck, and the double circle is always in the cranial; the low-frequency analysis of Z1R is better; the double circle pays more attention to the thickness of the sound base than the baking, and don't think about the accuracy of the sound tone, which is obviously for The low frequency of the symphonic timpani special tune is really strong in this regard.

High frequency is a weak term of double circles. Those who say high frequency are good, I can only say that I may not have heard of it better. The main advantage of double-turn high frequency is that the sense of measurement is normal except that the extremely high frequency cannot be used. It is not deliberately raised and brightened at all. I like high-fidelity. However, in terms of the flagship of hard PK at the same price, the accuracy is slightly inferior to Turii Ti, the tone is slightly inferior to FWW and IE900, the brightness is slightly lower than Z1R, and the wind is better than strings. However, one problem is that there are too many sub-bass, so that such a whole is normal and harmless high-frequencies appear less in psychoacoustics. In terms of a symphony as a whole, low-frequency baking is the strength of double circles, and the lack of extremely high frequency is a weakness.

Others: It's easy to push. Who says it's not easy to push? It's as easy to push as Turii. Transientity is well-behaved in the flagship. The size of the node is moderate. Considering that the sound field is very large, the whole is still regular, and the distance of the voice is moderate. I saw several people before that said that microdynamics are awesome, which is really good. It is better than most of the flagships I have heard, but it is not so awesome. For example, it is obviously not as good as Z1R.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied. It's definitely a leap for the price. It's completely the first echelon in the moving circle at present, and because I listen to songs and omnivorous food, it's much more reliable than PPT, HS2K, A8000, IE900, IE600, Fantasy, Ito bamboo... It's much more reliable than my FWW voice. Too much, too hard-resistant than Turii Ti (after all, there is no low frequency to scratch the ears). The wearing of Turii + Martini has been severely beaten and the quality is a little poor, so the double lap should be replaced by me as my second main force besides PP​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back