The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #42,361 of 88,549
Since a few people mentioned Melodic Artification Eclipse, I figured it's a good timing to share a handful of pictures, measurements, and my sound impressions of these IEMs. I've never heard of this manufacturer before until Andrew (Musicteck) mentioned it to me. I borrowed these a few days ago, didn't even realize they were already listed on MT site. Also, while just my personal speculation, I couldn't help but notice some similarities with Softears Turii/Twilight releases. From a rectangular shape of the packaging box, to Softears clear silicone eartips and even a custom Liquid Links cable. Also all dynamic driver design, and Twilight (single DD) vs Eclipse (dual DD) name? Of course, could be just a coincidence, or maybe there is collaboration on some level. Again, just my speculation for now.

ma-eclipse-06.jpg

So, nice compact packaging with all the essential accessories, including plenty of eartips, double-pocket mesh storage pouch, and custom Liquid Links cable with 4.4mm balanced termination.

ma-eclipse-01.jpg ma-eclipse-02.jpgma-eclipse-03.jpg ma-eclipse-04.jpg

The hardware of Liquid Links cable is sexy

ma-eclipse-05.jpg

According to the Google picture-translator, Eclipse uses "TC4 Titanium Alloy Chamber". I assume they are talking about shells since they look Titanium, very light, comfortable fit, good isolation. Very interesting faceplate design in a theme of an overlapping "eclipse".

Also, according to the manufacturer, these use dual dynamic 10mm drivers with asymmetric active/passive driver config. You can also see 2 separate vents in the shell.

ma-eclipse-07.jpg ma-eclipse-08.jpgma-eclipse-09.jpg ma-eclipse-10.jpg

Regarding the sound, I hear MA Eclipse as being U-shaped IEM with a warm natural tonality and a deep elevated bass. Bass is definitely the centerpiece of Eclipse tuning, but I wouldn't exactly call it L-shaped basshead IEM. There is a deep elevated textured sub-bass rumble and rounded mid-bass slam. You can feel the weight of the bass, especially sub-bass, but it will not make your ears rattle. I just had an extended listening session and didn't find the bass to be fatigue. Lower mids have fuller body, upper mids are also warm and organic, a bit distant, but not veiled. And while lower treble is scooped out, the mid treble gives mids a better definition, but overall, treble is also on a smoother and more reserved side.

The perception of soundstage expansion is average since we are dealing with a warmer bassier tuning that pulls the sound closer to the center, with more depth/height than width which gives the sound more intimacy.

This is how it measures, btw, a perfect L/R match

MA_Eclipse-FR01.jpg

and for those who are interested, this is how it stacks up against Turii Ti and Twilight

Eclipse_Twilight_Turii.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #42,363 of 88,549
I wish I could try the Eclipse out. The bass looks really tempting!

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #42,364 of 88,549
Crinacle visited e-earphone in Akihabara, and he reviewed numerous IEMs out of this trip plus others: no new S tier. I guess as a reviewer like Crinacle, eventually you will get bored of listening to too many IEMs.

That's gotta be just a publicity exercise...no way someone can listen to that many IEMs in one sitting and obtain anything beyond the most superficial impressions.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #42,365 of 88,549
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #42,366 of 88,549
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #42,367 of 88,549
Since a few people mentioned Melodic Artification Eclipse, I figured it's a good timing to share a handful of pictures, measurements, and my sound impressions of these IEMs. I've never heard of this manufacturer before until Andrew (Musicteck) mentioned it to me. I borrowed these a few days ago, didn't even realize they were already listed on MT site. Also, while just my personal speculation, I couldn't help but notice some similarities with Softears Turii/Twilight releases. From a rectangular shape of the packaging box, to Softears clear silicone eartips and even a custom Liquid Links cable. Also all dynamic driver design, and Twilight (single DD) vs Eclipse (dual DD) name? Of course, could be just a coincidence, or maybe there is collaboration on some level. Again, just my speculation for now.

ma-eclipse-06.jpg

So, nice compact packaging with all the essential accessories, including plenty of eartips, double-pocket mesh storage pouch, and custom Liquid Links cable with 4.4mm balanced termination.

ma-eclipse-01.jpg ma-eclipse-02.jpgma-eclipse-03.jpg ma-eclipse-04.jpg

The hardware of Liquid Links cable is sexy

ma-eclipse-05.jpg

According to the Google picture-translator, Eclipse uses "TC4 Titanium Alloy Chamber". I assume they are talking about shells since they look Titanium, very light, comfortable fit, good isolation. Very interesting faceplate design in a theme of an overlapping "eclipse".

Also, according to the manufacturer, these use dual dynamic 10mm drivers with asymmetric active/passive driver config. You can also see 2 separate vents in the shell.

ma-eclipse-07.jpg ma-eclipse-08.jpgma-eclipse-09.jpg ma-eclipse-10.jpg

Regarding the sound, I hear MA Eclipse as being U-shaped IEM with a warm natural tonality and a deep elevated bass. Bass is definitely the centerpiece of Eclipse tuning, but I wouldn't exactly call it L-shaped basshead IEM. There is a deep elevated textured sub-bass rumble and rounded mid-bass slam. You can feel the weight of the bass, especially sub-bass, but it will not make your ears rattle. I just had an extended listening session and didn't find the bass to be fatigue. Lower mids have fuller body, upper mids are also warm and organic, a bit distant, but not veiled. And while lower treble is scooped out, the mid treble gives mids a better definition, but overall, treble is also on a smoother and more reserved side.

The perception of soundstage expansion is average since we are dealing with a warmer bassier tuning that pulls the sound closer to the center, with more depth/height than width which gives the sound more intimacy.

This is how it measures, btw, a perfect L/R match

MA_Eclipse-FR01.jpg

and for those who are interested, this is how it stacks up against Turii Ti and Twilight

Eclipse_Twilight_Turii.jpg

Good extension on both ends? I'm quite interested in this all of a sudden.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #42,368 of 88,549
Good extension on both ends? I'm quite interested in this all of a sudden.

Bass, hell yeah! Treble, not as much air as you would find in something like GAEA. Mid-treble peak gives you a decent definition so the sound is not too dark and uppers mids have a good retrieval of details. But, don't expect a lot of crunch and air, treble is more natural and on a smoother side. Bass and organic mids are the star of this tuning.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #42,369 of 88,549
YMMV indeed. That presents a great year-end poll idea. From 2022, your picks for:

1) Bass
2) Mids
3) Treble
4) Technical
5) All Rounder
Are we still doing this?

1) Bass Fir Audio Neon4
2) Mids Fir Audio Neon4
3) Treble Fir Audio Neon4
4) Technical Fir Audio Neon4
5) All rounder Fir Audio Neon4

Using stock foam(!) tip, Erua Miro cable(4w), Dx220 max w mod.
Tried various silicon tips(Azla Xelastec-standard good performance across FR, Final E tip-suitable Bass but vocal too close and soundstage was narrow. UM silicon tip-mid/vocal not sublime) than settled with stock foam tip. It gives slight creamy(? Tube like) feel. Vocal is sublime. Bass is slightly airy(not going deep enough but that is kinetic bass feel i guess. Treble is good prob bc foam tip opening is large. Tried to remove this creamy feel than now settled with it;; Fir frontier line’s airy Kinetic bass may match better with silvery cables than complex metal wire flagship Erua Tawa or pure copper PW Attila I think.

Attachments

• 6C1DD21A-0D4F-4CAE-96D1-521181A20C64.jpeg
    6C1DD21A-0D4F-4CAE-96D1-521181A20C64.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #42,371 of 88,549
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #42,372 of 88,549
Why don't you use 4.4mm 64audio cable that came with Blanc ?
I think it sounds quite average and the treble is slightly sharp with that cable. But I guess it is a good one to use if you don't have spare cables lying around.

Plus in HK people have sold it for 500USD, so that's what I have done as well :joy:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #42,373 of 88,549
I think it sounds quite average and the treble is slightly sharp with that cable. But I guess it is a good one to use if you don't have spare cables lying around.

Plus in HK people have flipped it for 500USD, so that's what I have done as well :joy:
Audiophiles are weird. Give us a kilobuck cable as stock, and we'll go change it anyways.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #42,374 of 88,549
Audiophiles are weird. Give us a kilobuck cable as stock, and we'll go change it anyways.
And if the stock cable is crap/does not include a stock cable we also complain. Or if the cable is too expensive ala Traillii we complain why does it have to be bundled :joy:

I like Fourte + Copper tho so I wasn't going to use silver anyway.

And if I think about kilobuck cables I think about stuff like EA Cleo II. That stock most definitely does not have a Cleo II performance level.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #42,375 of 88,549
Flipped it for 500$? Meaning they gave you 500$ discount for omitting this exclusive shielded premium silver cable? They should discount 1000$(?)🙆‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back