The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #69,736 of 91,357
So, I finally caved in, bit the bullet, and got both the Campfire Supermoon and Campfire Bonneville.

I really like this new flat-braided cable that Campfire is bundling with the higher-end IEMs. Not a big fan of the carrying cases though which are oversized to a degree and offers no protection from impact.

As for the sound, the Supermoon are getting the most "ear-time" right now. Phenomenal balance across the frequency range and for once, the timbre is excellent (which is not the case for practically every other planar IEMs that I've tried). The other great part is the fit and isolation (for me). With the foam tips, near custom-like fit and isolation can be achieved.

The Supermoon also scale a lot. The pairing with Questyle CMA Twelve Master is sublime.

Next up, Bonneville. The sound is similar to Andromeda in many aspects, but the upper-treble is further pronounced. The graph, for reference:

I also found the Bonneville to be quite source-sensitive. With the RU7, the treble was a bit too spicy. This was mostly solved with LPGT. In the end, I guess a lot of the impressions about Bonneville will be determined by the chain, and how much upper-treble one can handle.

One area where Bonneville stands out is overall layering of instruments. Reminds me a bit of MEST mk2, but with far fewer drivers. Also the bass has very good slam and rumble, all the good stuff.

Let's see how both of these IEMs fare over time but for now, things look promising.
Tell me more about the CMA Twelve Master pairing with these Campfire IEMs please and thank you!

Nov 6, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #69,737 of 91,357
I've had a Cardas Clear/1950s clone re terminated with ConX, and while audio memory is of course unreliable, I heard no appreciable difference. If there is a very slight difference in A/B testing, my guess is that it's not going to be enough to worry me personally. TermX, on the other hand, I'm not really a fan. Not because of any SQ difference, but I think the mechanism isn't great. I much prefer a twist lock system, a-la the brilliant cable HiBy supplies with the new $239 Yvain.
Angled swappable plugs are very chonky, though. Dunu's Hulk, Hulk mini etc are hard to use with the DAP in the pocket. No issues with Noble's or QoA plugs which are straight.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #69,738 of 91,357
Just watched the Dallas CanJam preview video, and it looks like the production version of the Fir E12 will be available for a listen. I'll be interested to hear impressions, given the somewhat mixed feedback from the SoCal CanJam.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #69,739 of 91,357
Just watched the Dallas CanJam preview video, and it looks like the production version of the Fir E12 will be available for a listen. I'll be interested to hear impressions, given the somewhat mixed feedback from the SoCal CanJam.

+1 huzzh

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #69,740 of 91,357
Second that ! Really hope some of you drop an impression of fir E12 out in Texas

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #69,741 of 91,357
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #69,742 of 91,357
It makes you wonder how much is that sovereign symphony cable? Aside from the few impressions on here there is almost no information on this cable.
We are still putting some final touches on packaging and accessories so we haven't officially announced them yet. Dmavs and a handful of other folks have gotten the cable and case first via the STORM cable trade in program (they agreed to receiving the remaining packaging and accessories at a later date). The trade-ins will be further opened more officially soon.

Full retail MSRP is 3100USD for the Sovereign (the 2-wire version) and 5000USD for the Sovereign Symphony (the 4-wire version). Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #69,743 of 91,357
Fir E12 faceplates are $149 for a pair?! A little steep isn’t it?

Attachments

• IMG_1736.png
    IMG_1736.png
    490.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #69,745 of 91,357
By the way, have you ever got a chance to try Sovereign Symphony with all your other IEMs?
Not yet, I only got the cable yesterday, but I’ll spend some time this week trying it with my other IEM’s 👍

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #69,746 of 91,357
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #69,748 of 91,357
We are still putting some final touches on packaging and accessories so we haven't officially announced them yet. Dmavs and a handful of other folks have gotten the cable and case first via the STORM cable trade in program (they agreed to receiving the remaining packaging and accessories at a later date). The trade-ins will be further opened more officially soon.

Full retail MSRP is 3100USD for the Sovereign (the 2-wire version) and 5000USD for the Sovereign Symphony (the 4-wire version). Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions.
I have it paired with my Storm and love it most with my RS8. If anyone is coming to CanJam Dallas, you can listen to it. This is because the RS8 adds a little bit of excitement in the upper registers.

But, if you want to have an epic listen for Sound tracks, my favorite pairing is DX320 Max + Storm + SS. Such a grand sound. Sounds like I am watching a movie in an Imax theatre.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #69,749 of 91,357
I have it paired with my Storm and love it most with my RS8. If anyone is coming to CanJam Dallas, you can listen to it.

People used to get upset about $8k retail price of UM iems. Now, it sounds like Storm is $10k with a new 8wire upgrade cable :D Of course, not sure if anybody is paying the full retail price nowadays, but still... I guess this makes N30LE + UM AP a bargain for $12.9k :wink:

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #69,750 of 91,357
People used to get upset about $8k retail price of UM iems. Now, it sounds like Storm is $10k with a new 8wire upgrade cable :D Of course, not sure if anybody is paying the full retail price nowadays, but still... I guess this makes N30LE + UM AP a bargain for $12.9k :wink:
Since Sovereign Symphony is an upgrade option, it was only about a $2000+ upgrade from the stock Mira cable.

To think, I thought the Shure SE846 I bought was the most expensive in ear monitor I would ever get. I am to the point that now expensive watches are starting to look affordable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back