The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #69,691 of 91,358
I know you haven’t had a ton of time with it yet and are waiting on your replacement unit from Elysian but curious as to how you hear Anni’s bass compared to Rn6.

Hopefully you get your replacement soon!
I had the Rn6 tour kit with me for the last few weeks, and spent a bit of time over this past weekend a/b’ing with Anni23. There are many ways these two differ from each other and bass is definitely one of them.

I landed on the silver module with Rn6 as my preference, and ran them both off my Jotunheim2 desktop amp, so power and scaling was not an issue. Rn6 sub bass digs very deep and hits hard with plenty of oomph, but it’s mid bass is much leaner than Anni23. While Anni’s sub bass doesn’t have the deep rumble of Rn6, that elevated mid bass warmth makes it a much more engaging listen.

With Rn6 it felt like I was looking at a beautiful image of the music, whereas with Anni it felt like I was completely immersed in it.

Lucky for you, you won’t have to choose!! 😉

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #69,692 of 91,358
Does the Annihilator 2023 have a different DD than the 2021 version?

I think the Anni 23 is a bass boosted TOTL allrounder. Plenty of quantity, which for me sets them apart from other TOTL, maybe more than the treble quality. I do think the bass sounds a little rounder/softer but I haven’t had an issue with the quality overall. I’ll be doing some comparative listening in the next few days, focusing on bass texture.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #69,693 of 91,358
Does the Annihilator 2023 have a different DD than the 2021 version?

I think the Anni 23 is a bass boosted TOTL allrounder. Plenty of quantity, which for me sets them apart from other TOTL, maybe more than the treble quality. I do think the bass sounds a little rounder/softer but I haven’t had an issue with the quality overall. I’ll be doing some comparative listening in the next few days, focusing on bass texture.
No, it’s the same Foster driver. It’s just tuned a little differently. 2023 is less mid-bassy.

Anni 2023‘s bass quality isn’t really an issue for me. Its lower quality stood out a bit more on 2021 with the way it was tuned making it sound drier. But the slight tilt to sub bass on 23 makes it sound slightly rounder and more realistic imo. I mean, it’s not gonna win any “best bass” awards but it doesn’t bother me or stick out as inferior imo. YMMV though.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #69,694 of 91,358
After a few months waiting, my Nightjar Sovereign Symphony cable arrived today

@tamtrum wrote an excellent impressions post on the Storm thread and my opinion basically mirrors his exactly. It’s a big chonker of a cable but it’s surprisingly ergonomic and comfortable. Previously I was using the Brise Yatono Ultimate 8-wire, and Sovereign Symphony is significantly more comfortable. Sound wise, I hear it as warm, analogue and full sounding, with a much smoother lower treble while adding some mid treble sparkle and upper treble air. The soundstage expansion is also very noticeable. Everything gets pushed further out and deeper/wider, which took my ears a little while to adjust to as I’m used to a more intimate sound with Storm but after a couple hours I really began to appreciate how open and immersive the presentation had become.

Out of all the cables I’ve tried with Storm (PW Orpheus shielding & FT shielding, EA Centurion/Chiron/Cleo 2 Octa/Fusion1/Cadmus FE/Eros S, ET Ode to Laura & Sonnet of Adam, Brise Yatono/Silver Concept, and Nightjar Mira 2 & 4 wire) I’d say Sovereign Symphony makes the biggest and most obvious impact to the sound and I think this would be a great cable to showcase how much a cable can influence sound. It’s quite remarkable and transformative for Storm. Couldn’t be happier with this purchase and would highly recommend it to any Storm owner that would like a warmer, more natural sound without sacrificing any technical performance and a larger soundstage. Gotta give thanks to @AxLvR for recommending it to me :)
It makes you wonder how much is that sovereign symphony cable? Aside from the few impressions on here there is almost no information on this cable.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #69,695 of 91,358
It makes you wonder how much is that sovereign symphony cable? Aside from the few impressions on here there is almost no information on this cable.
Yeah, I’m not sure what the standalone price is. Storm owners have an upgrade offer with Nightjar to trade in your existing Mira 2 or 4-wire. I think the standalone Sovereigns are yet to be made available.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #69,696 of 91,358
The FitEar MH335ht customs have landed! Big shout out to Claire and Wilson, Jaben SG, for making it so!

One thing I noticed immediately is that the stems seem to be shorter than the traditional one for BA based FitEars. Although it is not as short as the ones for the DD based FitEars. :)

IMG_0514.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #69,697 of 91,358
I’m not sure if you’re saying that LX’s treble is sibilant at times? I don’t quite hear it that way. Could you please share what cable you’re pairing it with? I find that LX’s bass quantity is rarely surpassed, but I’ve not heard many iems tbh. What technicalities / sound profile are you looking for?
not sibilant, just a bit sharp sometimes and a bit unnatural. Im using the dunu hulk pro or something like that? that one that comes with the sa6 mk2. Im kinda just lookin for something bassy, decently detailed and can fit my smaller ears. for example, the U6T is my favourite tonality besides its treble peak but still love it (even though its BA)

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #69,698 of 91,358
The FitEar MH335ht customs have landed! Big shout out to Claire and Wilson, Jaben SG, for making it so!

One thing I noticed immediately is that the stems seem to be shorter than the traditional one for BA based FitEars. Although it is not as short as the ones for the DD based FitEars. :)

IMG_0514.jpeg
Nice one. Since the creator is coming out again, wondering whether to get one?

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #69,699 of 91,358
May I ask how the 512 and Sngl differ in sound? Are the shell sizes the same for both? I'd like to purchase Madoo - 512 or 711 - can't choose which one prefer...
The 512 shell looks bigger on the outside the ear canal portion is shape to work well with ear curves. Found that tips can play part if your ears are small.

512 vs Sngl interesting, I felt that at 50% volume set In was getting a lot more than the Sngl. Setting this aside the bass range felt expansive with the 512, while the Sngl felt narrower to me. The other end of the spectrum the highs were present and very detailed without being harshed, not the Sngl were, is just they were a bit plain.

Some of my comments are made based on the music I used for comparison and from memory as I did not take notes.

It my first time exposed to both manufacturers

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #69,700 of 91,358
Dear Watercoolers!

Once again, I'm sitting alone in my hotel room listening to music. Really good music. In a quality that I could never have dreamed of with headphones ten years ago, let alone 20 or even 30 years ago. Yes, I’m feeling really good right now.

I'm sitting on the bed. The notebook on my lap. And I'm thinking about how to describe my experiences on September 8th of this year as succinctly as possible. And what led to me feeling so well today.

It was a Friday in the north-east of Amsterdam's city center. 10 o'clock in the morning. My wife took me by car to a picturesque little side street. We agreed that she would pick me up right there in six hours. I waved after her. Then I looked around. Was this supposed to be a store for headphone aficionados?

When I opened the store door, I was greeted by the owner. We greeted each other and he invited me to try out whatever I fancied. I was now standing in a huge living room, not very bright. On the directly adjacent terrace, I saw a man testing various TWS headphones.

In the "living room" there were three listening islands (?) with several armchairs and an Eames lounge chair with a stool. On one of the two islands, another man was testing the Yamaha YH 5000 SE on the small tube amplifier he had brought with him. I also wanted to take a closer look at these headphones later.

I continued to look around and saw the dCSLina stack, Riviera AIC 10, Viva Egoista 845, Warwick Aperio, Spirit Torino Valkyria Ti and an almost infinite number of other things that made my mouth water.

HAA.jpg

But also a small, inconspicuous silver box.

I'll keep it short. After six hours in this „living room“, I decided to buy one of these boxes in black alongside the VE Phönix LE (001/222).

And that's what's doing its job in the hotel room today between an iBasso DX320 MAX Ti and a Diana TC with JPS Superconductor.

The small box is an extremely simple power amplifier. Milled from a block of aluminum. About 900 grams light. 19.8 centimeters long, 10 centimeters wide and 3.5 centimeters high. Inside is a Class A amplifier, without battery, without power switch, without volume control.

The small box only has two 4.4 mm sockets, one for the input and one for the output. That's how I like it. Uncompromisingly simple. If both sockets are connected, the small amplifier warms up immediately and is ready for use straight away.

But how does the little one sound?

Well, so far I've only listened to it with Diana TC because I only have a 4.4 mm cable available for the Lady and my Focal Utopia. And because I don't want to use any adapters. And because the Diva is a challenge and requires particularly high-quality amplification in order to be willing to sing at all.

Diana TC with the 4.4 mm Superconductor cable and the small black Thrax Resolute on the iBasso DX320 MAX Ti are an absolute winning team to my taste. I love the sound of the iBasso. It sounds natural with the Mango OS and has body. It has power. And yet it's also a fine spirit. I also find its graphic equalizer excellent, which I use to boost the sub-bass by 1 to 3 decibels.

I use Diana TC with the bass ported pads, but she can certainly handle a bit more bass. And the little "Resolute" controls this adjusted bass down to the lowest levels absolutely effortlessly and with maximum precision, regardless of the volume.

I operate the iBasso on Gain II of the total of IIII gain levels. I either use HiRes recordings. Or my CDs ripped with a Melco D 100 and a Melco N10 in WAV format. Or my vinyl rips created with an AK vinyl ripper in DSD format. Since I listen exclusively with the Mango OS, I need the music files locally on the internal memory and on the SD card.

The small power amplifier has now been used for several hundred hours. I also used the burn-in cable supplied with the iBasso DAP.

The first thing you notice when listening is the pitch-black background. Next, the dynamics in particularly quiet and loud passages. Excellent! The picky Diana, which we classify as a fast and rather analytical headphone, shows its musical side and begins…..to sing.

She benefits greatly from the boost in the sub-bass. The staging and imaging is excellent. The stage is wide and deep. Every instrument is where it belongs. Voices, both male and female, are neither too far in the background nor too intimate. Awesome.

Her timbre is natural and authentic. Sibilants are very well under control. And because I like the way Diana fits, and she is rather light at 390 grams, I can listen to her singing for hours without getting tired. Provided the source material is good. Bad productions remain bad, of course.

The holographic performance in combination with the natural timbre is particularly evident on the album "You can't take my Blues" by Doug McLeod, for example. It really does sound extremely authentic.

Richard Wagner's "Ring des Nibelungen" under Sir George Solti is another such recording. In my hotel room, I just shake my head in disbelief, literally seeing the stage and the costumes and the beauty of the actors, following their movements in space.

Bass canonades à la Alva Noto punch with such power and yet are springy and dry as dust. For a portable setup, this is really great cinema.

Speaking of transportability: the high-quality S.I.N. cables that I bought for the small Resolute are not only designed for high-end sound, but also to minimize weight. Especially the power cable, of course, which can get really heavy.

I'm sure this all sounds like advertising to you. Just this much. I paid the full price for the small black box and the associated cables. And the owner of the Amsterdam store knows nothing about this post.

I just felt like praising this little item. If you're ever in the Netherlands or at Zeppelin & Co in Singapore, try it out and let me know what you think.

DSC02448.JPG

Best wishes and have a nice week!

marcus.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #69,701 of 91,358
The 512 shell looks bigger on the outside the ear canal portion is shape to work well with ear curves. Found that tips can play part if your ears are small.

512 vs Sngl interesting, I felt that at 50% volume set In was getting a lot more than the Sngl. Setting this aside the bass range felt expansive with the 512, while the Sngl felt narrower to me. The other end of the spectrum the highs were present and very detailed without being harshed, not the Sngl were, is just they were a bit plain.

Some of my comments are made based on the music I used for comparison and from memory as I did not take notes.

It my first time exposed to both manufacturers
thanks for the comment! firstly, I also feel the problem with eartips - given the miniature size of Sngl (the nozzles too short for me) they fit poorly enough to the auricle for the bass level to be constantly noticeable, and secondly, yes, they are terribly energy-hungry; and for 512 there is a non-standard shape for ordinary eartips, i.e. will only stock ones work?

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #69,702 of 91,358
Dear Watercoolers!

Once again, I'm sitting alone in my hotel room listening to music. Really good music. In a quality that I could never have dreamed of with headphones ten years ago, let alone 20 or even 30 years ago. Yes, I’m feeling really good right now.

I'm sitting on the bed. The notebook on my lap. And I'm thinking about how to describe my experiences on September 8th of this year as succinctly as possible. And what led to me feeling so well today.

It was a Friday in the north-east of Amsterdam's city center. 10 o'clock in the morning. My wife took me by car to a picturesque little side street. We agreed that she would pick me up right there in six hours. I waved after her. Then I looked around. Was this supposed to be a store for headphone aficionados?

When I opened the store door, I was greeted by the owner. We greeted each other and he invited me to try out whatever I fancied. I was now standing in a huge living room, not very bright. On the directly adjacent terrace, I saw a man testing various TWS headphones.

In the "living room" there were three listening islands (?) with several armchairs and an Eames lounge chair with a stool. On one of the two islands, another man was testing the Yamaha YH 5000 SE on the small tube amplifier he had brought with him. I also wanted to take a closer look at these headphones later.

I continued to look around and saw the dCSLina stack, Riviera AIC 10, Viva Egoista 845, Warwick Aperio, Spirit Torino Valkyria Ti and an almost infinite number of other things that made my mouth water.

HAA.jpg

But also a small, inconspicuous silver box.

I'll keep it short. After six hours in this „living room“, I decided to buy one of these boxes in black alongside the VE Phönix LE (001/222).

And that's what's doing its job in the hotel room today between an iBasso DX320 MAX Ti and a Diana TC with JPS Superconductor.

The small box is an extremely simple power amplifier. Milled from a block of aluminum. About 900 grams light. 19.8 centimeters long, 10 centimeters wide and 3.5 centimeters high. Inside is a Class A amplifier, without battery, without power switch, without volume control.

The small box only has two 4.4 mm sockets, one for the input and one for the output. That's how I like it. Uncompromisingly simple. If both sockets are connected, the small amplifier warms up immediately and is ready for use straight away.

But how does the little one sound?

Well, so far I've only listened to it with Diana TC because I only have a 4.4 mm cable available for the Lady and my Focal Utopia. And because I don't want to use any adapters. And because the Diva is a challenge and requires particularly high-quality amplification in order to be willing to sing at all.

Diana TC with the 4.4 mm Superconductor cable and the small black Thrax Resolute on the iBasso DX320 MAX Ti are an absolute winning team to my taste. I love the sound of the iBasso. It sounds natural with the Mango OS and has body. It has power. And yet it's also a fine spirit. I also find its graphic equalizer excellent, which I use to boost the sub-bass by 1 to 3 decibels.

I use Diana TC with the bass ported pads, but she can certainly handle a bit more bass. And the little "Resolute" controls this adjusted bass down to the lowest levels absolutely effortlessly and with maximum precision, regardless of the volume.

I operate the iBasso on Gain II of the total of IIII gain levels. I either use HiRes recordings. Or my CDs ripped with a Melco D 100 and a Melco N10 in WAV format. Or my vinyl rips created with an AK vinyl ripper in DSD format. Since I listen exclusively with the Mango OS, I need the music files locally on the internal memory and on the SD card.

The small power amplifier has now been used for several hundred hours. I also used the burn-in cable supplied with the iBasso DAP.

The first thing you notice when listening is the pitch-black background. Next, the dynamics in particularly quiet and loud passages. Excellent! The picky Diana, which we classify as a fast and rather analytical headphone, shows its musical side and begins…..to sing.

She benefits greatly from the boost in the sub-bass. The staging and imaging is excellent. The stage is wide and deep. Every instrument is where it belongs. Voices, both male and female, are neither too far in the background nor too intimate. Awesome.

Her timbre is natural and authentic. Sibilants are very well under control. And because I like the way Diana fits, and she is rather light at 390 grams, I can listen to her singing for hours without getting tired. Provided the source material is good. Bad productions remain bad, of course.

The holographic performance in combination with the natural timbre is particularly evident on the album "You can't take my Blues" by Doug McLeod, for example. It really does sound extremely authentic.

Richard Wagner's "Ring des Nibelungen" under Sir George Solti is another such recording. In my hotel room, I just shake my head in disbelief, literally seeing the stage and the costumes and the beauty of the actors, following their movements in space.

Bass canonades à la Alva Noto punch with such power and yet are springy and dry as dust. For a portable setup, this is really great cinema.

Speaking of transportability: the high-quality S.I.N. cables that I bought for the small Resolute are not only designed for high-end sound, but also to minimize weight. Especially the power cable, of course, which can get really heavy.

I'm sure this all sounds like advertising to you. Just this much. I paid the full price for the small black box and the associated cables. And the owner of the Amsterdam store knows nothing about this post.

I just felt like praising this little item. If you're ever in the Netherlands or at Zeppelin & Co in Singapore, try it out and let me know what you think.

DSC02448.JPG

Best wishes and have a nice week!

marcus.
Epic! Thanks for sharing your journey and experience with us! Love it!

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #69,704 of 91,358
Hello Everyone, I hope you are all well and having a great week,

I want to update my Dap up to 1.5k maximum, what do you advise, what were the right choices to make?
HiBy R6 Pro 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back