The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #66,781 of 88,854
I have RS8 & DX 320 Max TI in mind if it doesn't pair well with RS6. It is something I can only decide after the Trifecta is in my hands.

Indeed-- good luck. Looking forward to your thoughts when that day arrives :)

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #66,783 of 88,854
I don't think any of Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey can compete with the IER Z1R in treble response or female vocals...so there perhaps definitely a side grade. Some might say bass response too but that is more of a coin toss. Where IER Z1R loses points from me is how lean it is in the mid-bass/lower mids. Rn6/Xe6/Odin/Raven/Odyssey might be considered a proper upgrade in that department.

What do you think as a proper upgrade from IERZ1R then?

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #66,786 of 88,854

Do you mean an IEM that does everything the IER Z1R does but better? Or an IEM that does everything that the IER Z1R does not?

If the former that's a tougher prospect because-- as evidenced by its continuous presence in the upper echelons of our polls-- the IER Z1R still holds its own quite well on its own terms relative to the rest of the market. If the latter then I would ask for specifics in terms of what you're looking for. Some possiblities include: Annihilator, Grand Maestro, Amber Pearl, Rn6, Storm. Or if you want something sub $2k there is a whole host of great options currently around or on the horizon: Bonneville, Diva, E12 etc. etc. The more specific you can be with your proposed budget and what you're after the more help I think you'll get. Sorry if this wasn't helpful lol

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #66,787 of 88,854
Can someone remind me what the E12 is?

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #66,788 of 88,854
I never heard the Jardin but I demoed the Red Halo on a few occasions and it sounded to me exactly like Le Jardin was described relative to Amber Pearl above.
Red Halo is just a different version of Mason, again with different shell design and cables, and upgraded BCD driver. So a similar thing to LeJardin.

I once had a Mason FS UIEM on loan and published a measurement here somewhere. In short, it was slighy brighter than LeJardin CIEM. I don't know if it's a matter of uni vs custom or a real difference between these two models.

The wooden version of Red Halo had a PWA FTS clone cable but in silver and red colors.

Again, I tried LJ with this cable and I value this match lower than with MAS. FTS is brighter than MAS copper whereas MAS is dark with cavernous imaging. Both are great. But MAS makes LJ more magical and euphoric.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #66,789 of 88,854
I have RS8 & DX 320 Max TI in mind if it doesn't pair well with RS6. It is something I can only decide after the Trifecta is in my hands.
I prefer RN6 with RS8 over 320Max.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #66,790 of 88,854
Red Halo is just a different version of Mason, again with different shell design and cables, and upgraded BCD driver. So a similar thing to LeJardin.
That's not so accurate, because compared to Mason, RH not only has an upgraded BCD driver, but is tuned a little differently: a little more subbass and treble.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #66,791 of 88,854
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #66,792 of 88,854
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #66,793 of 88,854
Do you mean an IEM that does everything the IER Z1R does but better? Or an IEM that does everything that the IER Z1R does not?

If the former that's a tougher prospect because-- as evidenced by its continuous presence in the upper echelons of our polls-- the IER Z1R still holds its own quite well on its own terms relative to the rest of the market. If the latter then I would ask for specifics in terms of what you're looking for. Some possiblities include: Annihilator, Grand Maestro, Amber Pearl, Rn6, Storm. Or if you want something sub $2k there is a whole host of great options currently around or on the horizon: Bonneville, Diva, E12 etc. etc. The more specific you can be with your proposed budget and what you're after the more help I think you'll get. Sorry if this wasn't helpful lol
You’re very helpful indeed. I am specifically looking at an IEM that has same great traits as IERZ1R along with better midbass/lower mids, which is the sole issue in it. I am not looking to replace IERZ1R, that’s a keeper. But I am looking to expand my collection and I can spend upto 3500-4000$. Either a complementary set or the one that’s the qualities I mentioned. I know may be nothing is perfect, something will be less in everything.

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #66,794 of 88,854
Nothing that I've heard. And before you point fingers at the self-appointed Z1R cheerleader here, I'm not saying it's the best at everything. Just that its sound profile, design and fit is unique, and everything else I use is mostly complementary, including Rn6, Xe6, Trifecta, IE900, MSE...

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #66,795 of 88,854
You’re very helpful indeed. I am specifically looking at an IEM that has same great traits as IERZ1R along with better midbass/lower mids, which is the sole issue in it. I am not looking to replace IERZ1R, that’s a keeper. But I am looking to expand my collection and I can spend upto 3500-4000$. Either a complementary set or the one that’s the qualities I mentioned. I know may be nothing is perfect, something will be less in everything.

The Fir Rn6 is a great "safe" option. Some might say the Odyssey but I didn't particularly connect with that. Raven is currently undergoing a litany of issues but I did enjoy my time with it at CanJam. Some great options that are less safe that have great mid-bass/lower mid presence might be the CFA Trifecta or Fir Xe6. The about-to-be-released CFA Bonneville shoots well above its price and is solid in that range also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back